F1 2020 | PODIUM PASS SERIES 2 NOW LIVE| READ ME!!! Read more... ×
F1 2020 | CODEMASTERS PC FORUM CHAMPIONSHIP | LOOKING FOR DRIVERS Read more... ×

Practice programs time/level issues

Since 2019 I have been trying to figure out what my skill level (or lack thereof lol) and used the practice program times and qualifying and racing position (example - use racing point,  I should be around mid field...say between pos 8-14) as indicators. Anything faster...better then 8, I need to adjust lvl higher, anything slower, the opposite. 

In order to get R&D points I need to be able to complete the programs etc

Problem... the qualifying program tine doesn't fit in with all others.

All practice programs, qualifying and race ... lvl 82

In order to even have a chance to get close to full R&D points in qualifying practice program it is no further then lvl 77-78

(To make it even more clear- If I do everything in lvl 77-78 I can win the championship with a mid level car)

Is anybody else having this issue?

• Like 1
  • Agree 4

No, quite the opposite in fact. When i’m at the right level to be where i should be in qualy and race, i find the practice programmes too easy!

• Thanks 1

Ok then ... must be just me then 🤪 

But anyway, I will just do it my way then

Practice qualifying pace on low level and waste practice 3 basically just to get the r&d points...

Everything else lvl 82 or so (still fine tuning it lol)

Thanks for reply kalamazoo123

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

At least on 2020, my qualifying pace program is off the charts. Usually I am on spot on time, but in the qualifying proper with the same pace, my grid is waaaay better than the expected in the program

• Agree 1

Posted (edited)

Do your qualy practice session in p3 at the end. Most of the time you'll be a few tenths off it in p1 or p2. 

Sorry I had a spelling mistake

Edited by inspiretheworld
  • Thanks 1

As I'm starting to progress through the season I'm noticing some quali programmes are much more difficult than others. Maybe down to the lack of Mix 4 available like you'd usually have in quali itself but like it's been suggested the difficulty might need adjusting. But I look at it as I'm good on some tracks and not so good on others. Starting a new team into F1 I personally don't expect to pass everything with flying colours. 

Also anyone struggling with the ERS programme I found out that a worn ES will affect how well you do on certain circuits. If you only have a capacity of 60-80% you'll struggle to get green let alone purple.

Im on 95 AI, most of the times I easily pass the programs, except for the Qualifying Pace. Once I failed or got the target time, I'll be the fastest of the session: even in FP2/FP3. Once I qualify I'm where the car is supposed to be (12-18), so I think it has something to do with AI pace in practice.

• Agree 3

To all who replied ...

Thanks for the info ... I have seen some great tips to try out 🙂

heres the problem with the Qual program.

"hey Bob, we expect you will qualify around this position with a time roughly 1.23.456"

and its pretty accurate (assuming you dont bin it).

now here the problem... thats the time you set with the car turned up to 11 during qualifying, AFTER prac 1 2 and 3, when the track is nicely rubbered up.

so in other words they expect a time that you can only achieve after the car is FULL BEANS during a session the track has more grip.

they want you to kick a ball 100m, against the wind. which you can do, when kicking with the wind.

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Fetal said:

heres the problem with the Qual program.

"hey Bob, we expect you will qualify around this position with a time roughly 1.23.456"

and its pretty accurate (assuming you dont bin it).

now here the problem... thats the time you set with the car turned up to 11 during qualifying, AFTER prac 1 2 and 3, when the track is nicely rubbered up.

so in other words they expect a time that you can only achieve after the car is FULL BEANS during a session the track has more grip.

they want you to kick a ball 100m, against the wind. which you can do, when kicking with the wind.

Is there any official information if track being better in Practice 3 and Qualifying is a real thing? Maybe isn't this a placebo thing? 

Edited by viniciusrsouza

Guys, three things here.

1) I noticed in F1 2019 that the qualify time they ask are always tied to what our contract says. If they expect us to qualify better than 6th place, even though we have a midfield car, the practice program will be tougher. After failing to negotiate a better contract, I finish with one in McLaren that asked insane qualifying and racing finishes. Obviously I didn't achieve their goal. Never.

2) If we max out resource points during practice sessions, there'll always be one program that will be left with "0". So I really don't care if I can't reach the qualifying result they ask. It won't make any difference, since we can achieve 100% points doing the other 5 tasks.

3) Talking about these points, for years and years we see complaints about difficulty level in practices. And I really think it's TOTALLY NECESSARY. Lasy year I was able to upgrade McLaren to be the best team already in Austria and was winning races. This is completely unrealistic! We need to move on and stop trying to get always purple results! It's so easy to improve the car and outperform the others teams already in the first season!

6 minutes ago, viniciusrsouza said:

Is there any official information about track being better in Practice 3 and Qualifying a real thing? Maybe isn't this a placebo thing? 

It's been confirmed. Including by Jeff, your trusty engineer haha

It's the rubberising of the tarmac. And indeed it has been dialed up in this game. David commented on it in the pinned thread.

I do think that the qualy pace programme is a tad unbalanced, but there are a few nuances in that. The estimated times it gives you is already accounting for the different setup you run on the practice sessions - i.e. without Max Fuel Mix available. Ever since F1 2019 my best lap on the programme is down 0.6-1.1 from my actual qualifying lap, consistently. The same goes to the F1 2020 on the tracks the AI seem more adequately calibrated.

Other thing people often get mixed up. Not everyone is running hard on the practice sessions. Just like in real life, teams try to save on components and use those sessions to nail down the setup. There is indeed a qualifying pace programme in real life, maybe even with the same name, but it is just as well run without the maximum engine performance and it is not always done.

I say that because now and then you see people complaining "but I finished 1st on that practice session and the fastest AI was 1 second slower!" Mate, sometimes Hamilton goes the entire session on Hard tyres haha

8 minutes ago, viniciusrsouza said:

Is there any official information about track being better in Practice 3 and Qualifying a real thing? Maybe isn't this a placebo thing? 

There is. You can find it in the pinned "David Greco's Handling Q&A" thread. There's also a difference in grip between one-shot, short and full qualifying - in ascending order.

I've had the same issue as OP in the career. All except the qualifying practice programme seem easy. I don't restart the programs or sessions though, and it definitely is the most challenging one with only one shot at it. I always do it at the end of P3, but managed to beat it only a few times so far, but still had qualifying results well within the top 10 even though my predicted position was 18th. It doesn't seem quite right, but then again, I'm in no hurry to get my car to "class of the field", because that's when I know I will lose interest in the career.

9 minutes ago, marioho said:

It's been confirmed. Including by Jeff, your trusty engineer haha

It's the rubberising of the tarmac. And indeed it has been dialed up in this game. David commented on it in the pinned thread.

I do think that the qualy pace programme is a tad unbalanced, but there are a few nuances in that. The estimated times it gives you is already accounting for the different setup you run on the practice sessions - i.e. without Max Fuel Mix available. Ever since F1 2019 my best lap on the programme is down 0.6-1.1 from my actual qualifying lap, consistently. The same goes to the F1 2020 on the tracks the AI seem more adequately calibrated.

Other thing people often get mixed up. Not everyone is running hard on the practice sessions. Just like in real life, teams try to save on components and use those sessions to nail down the setup. There is indeed a qualifying pace programme in real life, maybe even with the same name, but it is just as well run without the maximum engine performance and it is not always done.

I say that because now and then you see people complaining "but I finished 1st on that practice session and the fastest AI was 1 second slower!" Mate, sometimes Hamilton goes the entire session on Hard tyres haha

8 minutes ago, janbonator said:

There is. You can find it in the pinned "David Greco's Handling Q&A" thread. There's also a difference in grip between one-shot, short and full qualifying - in ascending order.

I've had the same issue as OP in the career. All except the qualifying practice programme seem easy. I don't restart the programs or sessions though, and it definitely is the most challenging one with only one shot at it. I always do it at the end of P3, but managed to beat it only a few times so far, but still had qualifying results well within the top 10 even though my predicted position was 18th. It doesn't seem quite right, but then again, I'm in no hurry to get my car to "class of the field", because that's when I know I will lose interest in the career.

Thanks guys for the info. Good to know it's a real thing.

Again, about the qualifying practice, yeah, it doesn't seem quite right, should be fixed to a more realistic result, but honestly, we should really ignore it's results or even the task itself and focuse in the other five.

As I said, there will be always one of them that we won't be able to get points. We always can ignore the results of one of them if we struggle.

And not earning all points is better than maxing out our team so easily.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Disagree 1

On 7/22/2020 at 9:38 PM, dhagens1965 said:

Since 2019 I have been trying to figure out what my skill level (or lack thereof lol) and used the practice program times and qualifying and racing position (example - use racing point,  I should be around mid field...say between pos 8-14) as indicators. Anything faster...better then 8, I need to adjust lvl higher, anything slower, the opposite. 

In order to get R&D points I need to be able to complete the programs etc

Problem... the qualifying program tine doesn't fit in with all others.

All practice programs, qualifying and race ... lvl 82

In order to even have a chance to get close to full R&D points in qualifying practice program it is no further then lvl 77-78

(To make it even more clear- If I do everything in lvl 77-78 I can win the championship with a mid level car)

Is anybody else having this issue?

Same for me to do get purple most of time in the practice programs I have to put it on level 96 but in the race and quali I put it on 103-107 depending on how good I am at the track 

TBF, I don't mind sometimes the program being to challenging (maybe because I tried too many times with a keyboard in f12019 and tyre program lol), I got a lot better with tinkering with the car trying to best the time or the condition of the tyre (now I'm on pad, which is a huge improvement on it), but my goodness, it is good to go all purple in the practice

Posted (edited)

I have the exact same issue. Here is my "story" (sorry if nobody cares. :D)
I bought my first wheel (Thrustmaster TMX pro) and tried to up my skills while having most assists enabled. In my career, I'm not at Hungary and tried to switch from 70 to 75. This apparently is my limit as I was unable to beat some programs even after training for quite a while. So I thought I need to disable some assists in order to up my pace. Not easy. 

The bigger issue however is, that I'm fairly certain that I would still end at position 5-9 even though my teams car is the second slowest behind poor Williams. I don't want to lose the programs though, because otherwise I can't improve the car and will never be legit at the top with my driving skills. 

Q: Does anbody know if the partice goals relate to the car's performance? I.e., driving a slow car simply will make it harder to beat the goals? 

I strongly suggest to simply add a second difficulty for practice or "career" so that I can fine tune the driving challenge while still being able to move forward in the career. 
And I don't think that constantly switching the difficulty is a pleasant gaming experience. Feels like cheating instead of adjusting the games difficulty to my skill.

Edited by SgtBrown

6 minutes ago, SgtBrown said:

I have the exact same issue. Here is my "story" (sorry if nobody cares. :D)
I bought my first wheel (Thrustmaster TMX pro) and tried to up my skills while having most assists enabled. In my career, I'm not at Hungary and tried to switch from 70 to 75. This apparently is my limit as I was unable to beat some programs even after training for quite a while. So I thought I need to disable some assists in order to up my pace. Not easy. 

The bigger issue however is, that I'm fairly certain that I would still end at position 5-9 even though my teams car is the second slowest behind poor Williams. I don't want to lose the programs though, because otherwise I can't improve the car and will never be legit at the top with my driving skills. 

Q: Does anbody know if the partice goals relate to the car's performance? I.e., driving a slow car simply will make it harder to beat the goals? 

I strongly suggest to simply add a second difficulty for practice or "career" so that I can fine tune the driving challenge while still being able to move forward in the career. 
And I don't think that constantly switching the difficulty is a pleasant gaming experience. Feels like cheating instead of adjusting the games difficulty to my skill.

Goals depend of your car, so you will have different time goal for Merc in season 1, than you would have in Haas.

For me it is like this: AI set for Q and R (100), in P1 doing track acclimatization, fuel and tyre. In p2 doing race pace and ERS if I failed fuel/tyre in P1, and trying Q program, but failing marginally usually. If I didn't get 100% resource points until P3 I will retry some of failed programs. But failing Q in P2 usually sees me getting projected position in qualy or even 2-3 position better.

• Like 1

Hello again,

Ok, I tried one of the suggestions where you do real qually and 3 Lap race in GP mode, this is all, non street, tracks on a base of lvl 82 in a mercedes as bottas (this level I guesstimated after several full 1st seasons on 2019)... aiming for equal qually and race lap times as hamilton within 0.5 seconds. Using the same stock setup throughout (of course It will mean there will be a slight variation because setups are changed for a reason on every track in real life)

But simply look at the same, worse and better then Hamilton,  find an average and adjust results to hit the sweet spot, got me a base of 80-81.  Which is what I am using now as I restarted the My Team mode. 

I already have the idea I am where I am supposed to be. So far I haven't beaten (purple) the qually pace practice, but all others are either really close or purple within several tenths of a second.

After the season I will be able to adjust it by simply run the same GP quick season but now with all the different car setups used in the completed season.

Again big thanks to all for replies, suggestions and comments...

-Interview-

Q: "How many front wings have you broken?"

A: "Too many to count."

Q: "And how many rear wings?"

A: One, this upside down landing is not recommended ... 🥴"

Yeah, for my first race in Australia, with Williams, AI level at 92, 100% lenght, cockpit cam, only TC on medium. 

Can't pass the ERS, Qual and Race programs. The team want to archive 1.23.736, my time was 1.25.546. +1.8s from target time

https://youtu.be/-0Ir_CUG8-U?t=4118

I've been running into this with qually practice program. Says my target is 19th, and I can't do it, by half track I'm a half second down on the target.

Then I qualify for the race, and qualify 8th .... Like what in the actual **** lol.

On 7/25/2020 at 3:37 PM, inspiretheworld said:

Do your qualy practice session in p3 at the end. Most of the time you'll be a few tenths off it in p1 or p2. 

Sorry I had a spelling mistake

I tried this, and although it is too early to be sure, my new start (my team full lvl80 100% practice quali race) now in China, P3, I took 1st soft set, from the start and barely made it (which btw yay ... 1st time lol)

2nd set, waited to about 3/4 into P3 and nailed it much easier ... either I was just nailing every corner perfectly or there is indeed more grip that late in P3

2 hours ago, dhagens1965 said:

I tried this, and although it is too early to be sure, my new start (my team full lvl80 100% practice quali race) now in China, P3, I took 1st soft set, from the start and barely made it (which btw yay ... 1st time lol)

2nd set, waited to about 3/4 into P3 and nailed it much easier ... either I was just nailing every corner perfectly or there is indeed more grip that late in P3

It's known to get faster as you progress in the sessions. It's the same with q1,2 and 3. All are quicker then the previous. 

Glad I could help. 

• Thanks 1
  • Agree 1

I think the qualifying practice program in Monaco needs to be looked at. This is just at season one in my team. The program asks me to do a 1:11:4 on 105% difficulty. Now, times in the low to mid 1:11’s are being done by Mercedes, Red Bull and Ferrari. So they expect me on season one to do times that are matching the front runners? My car has normally been 1-2 seconds off their pace. 1:11.4 is just a big ask and a crazy time for my team.