Forum Championship League | BELGIAN GP 22/01/2021 Read more... ×
F1 2020 | 1.15 PATCH NOW LIVE Read more... ×

Pressure should be on to add new tracks

With today's news that the Nurgburgring, Portimao, and Imola are set to be added to the 2020 F1 calendar, the total number of tracks in the 2020 Formula 1 championship that are currently not represented in the F1 2020 game rises to four (4).  In order for the game to adequately represent the 2020 F1 season, developing and adding these tracks should be a top priority.  Questions about the addition of new tracks to the game have been met with comments about the extensive time and manpower needed to make this a reality.  This should not be an excuse.  Codemasters hold the exclusive rights to the F1 franchise.  To show that they are deserving of that honor, they need to dedicate the time, money, and manpower to get these tracks into the game.  

Edit 2:  I realize that making definitive statements about the feasibility of adding new tracks isn't reasonable (or the un-feasibility, as some of you seem to think you have so much inside knowledge about).  

Feasibility isn't really the most important thing in this discussion and I should not have made that a part of the original post.  The most important thing is letting it be known that having more tracks in the game is something I value a lot.  Codemaster's response to this should not be to dismiss the idea and say that it simply cannot be done (and why some of you are so quick to furiously defend them on this, I do not understand.  It's like a cult in here).  The first thing they should be saying is, "We'll see what we can do".  Maybe new circuits will not make it into F1 2020, but they should at least be exploring the possibility, scoping out the requirements.  There is still the possibility that tracks outside the normal calendar (whether new or classic) could make it into future games.  That will only happen if Codemasters see that there is sufficient desire for it.  Instead of clamoring to say how impossible or unreasonable it is to have more tacks, why not say, yes, we would like more tracks.  Full stop.  Let them worry about the logistics.       

Edited by ElcorHamlet
responding to comments, clarification
  • Haha 3
  • Agree 6
  • Disagree 13

2 minutes ago, ElcorHamlet said:

With today's news that the Nurgburgring, Portimao, and Imola are set to be added to the 2020 F1 calendar, the total number of tracks in the 2020 Formula 1 championship that are currently not represented in the F1 2020 game rises to four (4).  In order for the game to adequately represent the 2020 F1 season, developing and adding these tracks should be a top priority.  Questions about the addition of new tracks to the game have been met with comments about the extensive time and manpower needed to make this a reality.  This should not be an excuse.  Codemasters hold the exclusive rights to the F1 franchise.  To show that they are deserving of that honor, they need to dedicate the time, money, and manpower to get these tracks into the game.  

yh, i'm tired of saying this.. the won't add new tracks cause they have license only for ogrinal 2020 season not new so the new tracks won;'t be added so no, they won't at them in game cause they official 

• Thanks 1
  • Agree 2
  • Disagree 4

It may have escaped your attention, but this year's fairly unique in that nobody saw this coming, the game and tracks were already planned out and CM had added the tracks F1 had adopted. Since even F1 and FIA haven't been able to make this announcement until today, what do you expect the developers to do? What a ridiculous, fatuous demand to make. 

• Agree 9
  • Disagree 1

Just now, amazingblaze said:

It may have escaped your attention, but this year's fairly unique in that nobody saw this coming, the game and tracks were already planned out and CM had added the tracks F1 had adopted. Since even F1 and FIA haven't been able to make this announcement until today, what do you expect the developers to do? What a ridiculous, fatuous demand to make. 

Not to mention it takes a bare minimum of 9 months for a team to make a track from scratch, which would have to be the case for Mugello as an example; since it has never been in an F1 game before. And that is not including the time they would need to take for data gathering and referance photo captures and to gain any other information they would need to gather to even begin recreating it for the game. By the time it would all be ready for release, F1 2021 would be about to go on sale.

• Agree 4
  • Disagree 1

Comrade ElcorHamlet, I suggest we petition to Mother Russia and/or the FOM to fund all the necessary expenses for the inclusion of said last-minute additions to the F1 2020 official season that may or may not (probably not) become permanent so that the budget for the F1 2021 and F1 2020 games are not compromised for the gaming equivalent of a one-night stand.

Though I'd love to race on Portimao and Nurgubgubgubbity, I'd rather still have Australia Bahrain Vietnam China Monaco Azerbaijan Canada France Singapore Japan COTA Mexico Brazil and Abu Dhabi present in F1 2020 even if deviating from the official calendar plus a fully realized PS5 F1 2021 than to sacrifice any other aspect to have a high fidelity virtual season.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

Best you can do is do a covid season with the tracks in the game.

My first career season is only 10 races so its a bit different.

Honestly, some of the posts on this forum make me genuinely embarrassed to be part of this player base sometimes.

• Haha 2
  • Agree 3
  • Disagree 1

Nice speech, but unfortunately not realistic. Not enough time, not the right licenses and we have enough tracks to race on as it is.

• Disagree 1

Codemasters have already stated (pre-release, I might add) that they won't be adding new tracks. Partly down to licensing, but also because it takes them, in their words, "about a year" to create the circuits due to the detail they have to put into it.

4 minutes ago, AdamFreeman said:

Best you can do is do a covid season with the tracks in the game.

My first career season is only 10 races so its a bit different.

Yep, I did this on my first save - 10 race season starting with Austria.

How did you start at austria thetes no way to change the order?

I had to start at barhain annoyingly but got all confirmed in game tracks selected

2 minutes ago, AdamFreeman said:

How did you start at austria thetes no way to change the order?

I had to start at barhain annoyingly but got all confirmed in game tracks selected

10 Race season, disable all the races before it, and then it's Austria, GB, Hungary, Belgium, Italy and whichever others you want that are after that.

Edited by s00zster
  • Haha 1

I actually agree with the OP on this one. They should be busting a gut to get these additional tracks in.

Licensing is a poor excuse - they have the rights to the 2020 season so that shouldn’t be an issue now that these tracks are part of this season.

Those of you that believe the line that it takes a year to make one track... well lets just say that must be one person doing everything as well as their day job. If they get enough resource on it, it must be possible to do it a lot quicker than that.

Dont get me wrong, i know it wont be quick, I’m prepared to wait, but in my view they should get them in.

• Agree 3
  • Disagree 3

Quote by Lee Mather:

"Circuits are the most time intense element of the development, with each circuit taking the time equivalent of 1 year of development to create. Along with building the circuits, there’s also the AI to train, the camera placement to set-up."

"F1 2020 is based on the original 2020 season and we are delighted to include Hanoi Circuit and Circuit Zandvoort. Unfortunately it is not possible to add new circuits to the revised 2020 season".

Source: https://www.racedepartment.com/threads/f1-2020-any-additional-replacement-tracks-wont-be-included-in-new-game.186305/

Edit: Not only that, they'd also have to do the circuit map animations, the track-specific commentary from multiple language commentators, etc.

Edited by s00zster
  • Agree 3

5 minutes ago, kalamazoo123 said:

I actually agree with the OP on this one. They should be busting a gut to get these additional tracks in.

Licensing is a poor excuse - they have the rights to the 2020 season so that shouldn’t be an issue now that these tracks are part of this season.

Those of you that believe the line that it takes a year to make one track... well lets just say that must be one person doing everything as well as their day job. If they get enough resource on it, it must be possible to do it a lot quicker than that.

Dont get me wrong, i know it wont be quick, I’m prepared to wait, but in my view they should get them in.

I'd seriously consider getting these tracks if they came as paid DLC to afford the extra cost without compromising the budget for long time support of F1 2020 and the development of F1 2021 and 2022.

However the license side of things aren't so clear cut. This could be an one-off even for the FIA/FOM and the circuit owners. We have no reason to assume that those tracks are automatically added to the "bundle" Codemasters got with their licensing deal. Just imagine if for whatever reason the UK needs to shut down hard and the first half of the Premier League takes place on Venezuela, to which league and venues EA are not licensee. Could it automatically be included on FIFA even still?

Now to be honest I don't think this football parallel helps to clear anything up, but it took me 3 minutes to find out that EA does not hold the license for Venezuela's league so I'm leaving it as it is.  

16 minutes ago, kalamazoo123 said:

They have the license for the original F1 2020 season, not for the mutated schedule we have currently. You want it to happen, as do we all. But if Codemasters say that they can't do it because they don't have the time or the permission to do so, who are you/we to demand otherwise? They have been very clear about this and I don't understand why people keep bringing this up. It is not going to happen and as you can see by most reactions to the topic, the players understand and accept this.

• Agree 2

23 minutes ago, kalamazoo123 said:

Have you ever made high quality 3D assests (including normal textures, specular maps, and anything else required) for a project like a track in a racing game? I have, it takes a lot of time and effort to do, even for a sizable team. The fact you and the op seem to think that Codemaster can just snap their fingers and have 4 new tracks added into the game just like that, shows you have absolutly zero clue how much work is actually involved.

The whole process starts with scouting the location, taking referance photos, taking measurements of absolutly everything from kerb size, run off size, wall height size, fence height. The whole lot needs to be gathered in order to ensure the scale is correct once they make it in 3D for the game. Not to mention hiring and transporting of any equiptment they might need, such as scanners and specilised surveying tools.

After all that, someone then needs to process all that data and add it into Codemasters internal server database, and only after all that work is done can they begin recreating it for the game. Your looking at up to a month+ just for them to begin making a single track, given the current world situation. And thats assuming Codemasters want to put their dev team at increased risk of Covid in the process, since, you know, it hasnt gone away yet.

Honestly, some people have some major rose tinted glasses and blinkers on!

Edited by Ialyrn
  • Like 2
  • Agree 5

7 minutes ago, s00zster said:

Quote by Lee Mather:

Source: https://www.racedepartment.com/threads/f1-2020-any-additional-replacement-tracks-wont-be-included-in-new-game.186305/

Edit: Not only that, they'd also have to do the circuit map animations, the track-specific commentary from multiple language commentators, etc.

I’m not disputing it’s a lot of work, and i know Lee said that. I just see no reason that it can’t be done faster than that with adequate/appropriate resource.

@marioho I too would be more than happy to pay for these tracks if it gave us the opportunity to create the actual 2020 season.

• Agree 1

1 minute ago, kalamazoo123 said:

I’m not disputing it’s a lot of work, and i know Lee said that. I just see no reason that it can’t be done faster than that with adequate/appropriate resource.

@marioho I too would be more than happy to pay for these tracks if it gave us the opportunity to create the actual 2020 season.

The fact that you don't see the reason doesn't mean that it's not a good reason. What do you even see? You clearly do not know anything about the available resources and the capabilities of Codemasters, yet you come here talking about how it should be possible to add 4 tracks to an already released game that is not known for adding or even editing tracks very frequently.

• Agree 1

12 minutes ago, Falstojudilofa said:

The fact that you don't see the reason doesn't mean that it's not a good reason. What do you even see? You clearly do not know anything about the available resources and the capabilities of Codemasters, yet you come here talking about how it should be possible to add 4 tracks to an already released game that is not known for adding or even editing tracks very frequently.

Well i’m sorry if me holding a different opinion to you upsets you.

• Disagree 1

These "give us X track now!!! No exCUsEs!!" are really funny. They belong to the Humor section on the forums 🙂

• Haha 2

6 minutes ago, kalamazoo123 said:

Well i’m sorry if me holding a different opinion to you upsets you.

Your opinion is ill-conceived because of everything lalyrn said. Thus, my guess is F1 2022 is the first game we'll see the new tracks in, if we see them at all. After all, FIA dropped the European GP, which was in Spain years ago. The only way we'll see these tracks in F1 2021 is covid clearing up over the winter.

1 hour ago, ZtwoA said:

yh, i'm tired of saying this.. the won't add new tracks cause they have license only for ogrinal 2020 season not new so the new tracks won;'t be added so no, they won't at them in game cause they official 

They got the licences for the current 22 tracks, they can get other licences.  I'm not sure why you would equate having four completely new tracks in the game to a one night stand.  We would all benefit from many nights of entertainment from this.  If budget is an issue, make it a DLC.  

1 hour ago, marioho said:

Comrade ElcorHamlet, I suggest we petition to Mother Russia and/or the FOM to fund all the necessary expenses for the inclusion of said last-minute additions to the F1 2020 official season that may or may not (probably not) become permanent so that the budget for the F1 2021 and F1 2020 games are not compromised for the gaming equivalent of a one-night stand.

Though I'd love to race on Portimao and Nurgubgubgubbity, I'd rather still have Australia Bahrain Vietnam China Monaco Azerbaijan Canada France Singapore Japan COTA Mexico Brazil and Abu Dhabi present in F1 2020 even if deviating from the official calendar plus a fully realized PS5 F1 2021 than to sacrifice any other aspect to have a high fidelity virtual season.

1 hour ago, ZtwoA said:

And what is stopping them from getting the licences for more tracks?  They had to get 22 licences for the game as is, they can get more if they make it a priority.

1 hour ago, amazingblaze said:

I expect them to hire more people and spend more money to make it happen.  If they need to sell it as a DLC, that's fine.  I would gladly pay for it.  Refusing to do it outright is a ridiculous position for them to take.  

• Haha 2
  • Agree 1
  • Disagree 7

Do you realize how much time it takes to create a track in a game like this?  I suspect it's not as easy as just flipping a switch or something.  It takes time to create in the game world first.  Modeling the track, elevation changes, structures, environment etc. etc. , then you still have to clear all of the licensing hurdles and other F1 and track issues that are likely present.

It's just not as simple as that.

I'd like to think they could give us Hockenheim since it was in last year's game.  Maybe even Nurburgring since it was in a previous game, but that's a long time ago now.   So the in game assets might be there, but you still have the numerous licensing issues to deal with.

Do I want it?  Sure, of course, the more the better.  You have to be realistic about it though.  IT's not a situation of just throwing more resources or people at it.  It's far beyond that.

• Agree 3