Forum Championship League | BELGIAN GP 22/01/2021 Read more... ×
F1 2020 | 1.15 PATCH NOW LIVE Read more... ×

Pressure should be on to add new tracks

22 minutes ago, ElcorHamlet said:

They got the licences for the current 22 tracks, they can get other licences.  I'm not sure why you would equate having four completely new tracks in the game to a one night stand.  We would all benefit from many nights of entertainment from this.  If budget is an issue, make it a DLC.  

And what is stopping them from getting the licences for more tracks?  They had to get 22 licences for the game as is, they can get more if they make it a priority.

I expect them to hire more people and spend more money to make it happen.  If they need to sell it as a DLC, that's fine.  I would gladly pay for it.  Refusing to do it outright is a ridiculous position for them to take.  

CAUSE GETTING A LICENCE ISN'T THAT EASY AS YOU THINK....it;s not "Hey give us licence"  getting licence for most games is taking months due to making the terms of a deal worth for both sites. Why do yoy think they manage to implement driver transfers only a year ago and not 5 years ago (they have been requested for a looong time) and why they manage to implement MyTeam mode this year and not 5 years ago? Do you know that, i guess you don;t know it otherwise you wouldn't be saying "then get a licence what the problem".  Making an accurate track with right width ot track, right elevation change, right distances from corner to corner takes MONTHS ALMOST A YEAR TO MAKE cuz the y need to go to said track and make the measurments and wtih current situation on earth i is very hard to do. Not not a matter of max 2 months on implementing 4 new tracks, it's matter of 1,5 to 2 years due to making measurments of track and getting licensing

• Agree 2

2 minutes ago, ZtwoA said:

CAUSE GETTING A LICENCE ISN'T THAT EASY AS YOU THINK....it;s not "Hey give us licence"  getting licence for most games is taking months due to making the terms of a deal worth for both sites. Why do yoy think they manage to implement driver transfers only a year ago and not 5 years ago (they have been requested for a looong time) and why they manage to implement MyTeam mode this year and not 5 years ago? Do you know that, i guess you don;t know it otherwise you wouldn't be saying "then get a licence what the problem".  Making an accurate track with right width ot track, right elevation change, right distances from corner to corner takes MONTHS ALMOST A YEAR TO MAKE cuz the y need to go to said track and make the measurments and wtih current situation on earth i is very hard to do. Not not a matter of max 2 months on implementing 4 new tracks, it's matter of 1,5 to 2 years due to making measurments of track and getting licensing

Are you familiar with the fast/cheap/good triangle?

• Disagree 3

6 minutes ago, ElcorHamlet said:

Oh lord. Only if everything was so simple and easy. 

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

Some of the things written in this thread show that there are people out there who really have no idea what it takes to create all the parts that go into a game like this. Although not a programmer myself, my son used to work for Codemasters on some of the 'Grid' titles, so I know how long these things take to produce.....and also the pressure that the teams have to work under to meet deadlines. 

Edited by Lurtz
Grammar
  • Like 2
  • Agree 3

1 minute ago, ElcorHamlet said:

Yea but i don;t see why your talkin bout it bro, can you read mate? i said that your "happy triangle" isn't possible XD licesing is matter of 6 montsh ATLEST making a track about 7 months mulitply it by 4 = 28 of making 4 tracks + 6 months for licence in total 34 months for making these in game. mate your triangle even says that the happy middle of these 3 is impossible, you cac have it faster with more money and it's good or slower with less money, but money in negotiating a deal isn't doing much, they dont' have unlimted money, they are making the best in the budget they have so man just accept it that what you want isn't finger snap it's years of making deals and programming

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, ElcorHamlet said:

They got the licences for the current 22 tracks, they can get other licences.  I'm not sure why you would equate having four completely new tracks in the game to a one night stand.  We would all benefit from many nights of entertainment from this.  If budget is an issue, make it a DLC.  

Because if the tracks are only present in the 2020 calendar to never be seen again, that is as close as we get to a one-night stand in video game terms. A mammoth task to add a couple tracks that can only be enjoyed in one game for one year, if they are not assimilated by FIA calendar on a permanent basis and their licenses aren't bundled in the same way as other tracks do.

And negotiating new licenses ain't exactly like clicking on an I Agree button on the T&C page of a website registration. On normal conditions, settling on a deal would take close to a year – and that is the 'ok, now you can begin the hands on part of the work' mark. Mate, even to sign the final contract to open a Subway franchise can take that much time if you're not lawyered up enough and we're talking about a business model that is built upon licensing.

• Like 2

Wow. Just wow. Some of the entitlement in this thread... Surely some people in this thread aren’t actually being serious?

I mean, expecting Codemasters to just employ more staff to get the job done, and that this should be there absolute priority and that invest more resources to get it done quicker. At what cost? To the detriment of ALL of their upcoming titles? And have some people been in a coma for the last 4 months or has Covid escaped your memories? Companies don’t have the money to just hire more staff and then on top of that, spend god knows how much money it would cost to do all the work that some of the more knowledgable people in this thread, said it would involve. 

I don’t know if this would be done when designing the track but if not, then afterwards they would also have to implement all the physics, (car behaviour on / off track, racing line, wet weather physics etc) Then the AI would need to be programmed which I would imagine be another huge job to add to the mammoth task of adding a track, let alone FOUR tracks!!!!

I would much rather they spend their time fixing the bugs and making the game as issue free as possible. 

I don’t usually chirp up on these kind of threads but this is a belter! Some people really need to come back to Earth. 

Edited by johnboy83
  • Thanks 1
  • Agree 3
  • Disagree 1

15 minutes ago, marioho said:

Because if the tracks are only present in the 2020 calendar to never be seen again, that is as close as we get to a one-night stand in video game terms. A mammoth task to add a couple tracks that can only be enjoyed in one game for one year, if they are not assimilated by FIA calendar on a permanent basis and their licenses aren't bundled in the same way as other tracks do.

And negotiating new licenses ain't exactly like clicking on an I Agree button on the T&C page of a website registration. On normal conditions, settling on a deal would take close to a year – and that is the 'ok, now you can begin the hands on part of the work' mark. Mate, even to sign the final contract to open a Subway franchise can take that much time if you're not lawyered up enough and we're talking about a business model that is built upon licensing.

On fricking point mate, @ElcorHamlet thinks that it's like in the F1 2020 game when you sing I contract "just press a send a deal, decline or agree" like me and @marioho said it's matter of year of getting and licens and makie it worth for both sides, let's be realistic, no matter what the deal would be, CM would lost money on it you ask why, IM MORE HAPPY TO EXPLAIN 

These tracks aren't the multi year contract with FIA to host a F1 and F2 race on it, they are temporary tracks that made their way to F1 just for this year due to pandemic, FIA did that cause without it they would loose HUUUGE AMMOUNT OF MONEY in this year, with these races on not multi year contract they don;t loose big money cuz the races are being held. CM would have to spent big money for making these tracks only to be in one game, it's not worth for them in any scenario

Edited by ZtwoA
  • Agree 1

7 minutes ago, ZtwoA said:

These tracks aren't the multi year contract with FIA to host a F1 and F2 race on it, they are temporary tracks that made their way to F1 just for this year due to pandemic, FIA did that cause without it they would loose HUUUGE AMMOUNT OF MONEY in this year, with these races on not multi year contract they don;t loose big money cuz the races are being held. CM would have to spent big money for making these tracks only to be in one game, it's not worth for them in any scenario

I can see the replies now....

’Well what about me?!? I want the tracks in the game so they should just spend money and do it, and like, YESTERDAY!!’ 🙄

• Haha 2

Nobody said it should be done yesterday, and nobody said it is simple.

To be honest, reading this back you’ve all absolutely gone off on one over a few opinions that happen to be different to yours.

I’m happy to disagree, we don’t need to “win” here, but i do think there’s lot of “knowledge” being thrown round by people who are passing off their own opinions and views as fact.

All i can say is i’m glad you lot you don’t work for me... with the amount of “can’t do” attitude here, we’d never get anything done!

• Confused 1

Well my view on it is in the game we are playing is the official f1 2020 season what's happening in the real world is a revised calender for the 2020 season which is being updated on the go and is now completely different to the official f1 2020 season as now we have some races already cancelled. One other thing is codemasters employees may have to be either working from or socially distancing which isn't always easy in a workspace. I would like to say its not that the people in this discussion have a can't do attitude but rather we understand the constraints codemasters are in and being realistic. Almost every big game has been delayed and I'm amazed we still got the 2020 game at the beginning of July. 

Edit:one thing I thought about is also programming the ai to drive on the track create the cutsenes get the approval to use ads on the track program the pitlane being made ect. make up the areas for yellow flags and areas where vsc and sc maybe activated then also how tyre will degrade on the track. If they were to make a track they have to go their and with the current ups and down of covid-19 happening in many countries its not going to be easy in the short amount of timeframe you may never know it could be something they might look at for the future but doubt it will be implemented during the f1 2020 timeframe. 

Edited by Nightfire1964
  • Like 2
  • Agree 1

4 minutes ago, kalamazoo123 said:

Nobody said it should be done yesterday, and nobody said it is simple.

To be honest, reading this back you’ve all absolutely gone off on one over a few opinions that happen to be different to yours.

I’m happy to disagree, we don’t need to “win” here, but i do think there’s lot of “knowledge” being thrown round by people who are passing off their own opinions and views as fact.

All i can say is i’m glad you lot you don’t work for me... with the amount of “can’t do” attitude here, we’d never get anything done!

***** man we areny Saing that it isnt impossible learn to read we say it will take months or years to make

@kalamazoo123 I understand your point of view and to be fair people should not be conflating yours with that of OP's. Don't take the blunt of their responses as directed to you.

On the other hand I think you're being a bit unfair here. As much as internet credentials are good for, we have someone with racing game dev experience chiming in and much of what I'm sharing here comes from my experience as a lawyer. The subway example sprung to mind because just today I'm alt tabbing between this forum and an appeal from a franchising case. If I dig on my Drive I can revisit a couple other licensing affairs too.

• Like 3

Small companies like Codemasters, not having money to throw around willy nilly right now, sadly isn’t just my opinion. It is a fact. So when people are saying they should just employ more people and spend the money anyway, it doesn’t sit right with me I’m afraid. People are forgetting we are in the middle of a worldwide pandemic. Also @kalamazoo123, I mean no offence, and I am not directing anything in your direction, and I do get where people are coming from with the official 2020 season and wanting these new tracks in the game, hell I would love them too. But the way some things have been said, about the inclusion of them... well maybe there could have been a better way of saying it. 

I’m not at all pretending to know how much work it takes to develop a game, but as @marioho has said we have a game developer saying how much work goes into this and how much time it takes, and a lawyer saying how long sorting out a license takes, they seem like they would know what they are talking about. Sadly it’s pretty obvious from the math that it is just not possible to have these tracks in F12020. And when the game creator is also saying this, why can’t people just accept it for what it is. At least we are able to race on Two new circuits we would have to wait for if they re did the game with the Official calendar. 

Edited by johnboy83
  • Agree 2

I've skimmed through the replies since I last posted, no idea if this was mentioned but there's also the matter of Exclusivity, let alone licensing in general. Because tracks like Nurburgring, Imola etc. weren't meant to be on the 2020 calendar, the games who do have licences to them probably aren't exactly going to take kindly to their ownership of their licence to suddenly not really mean anything.

"Hang on, we made a deal, we've got the licence to that track and paid a lot of money to be the only game (or only one other than Game X or Y) to have it on our roster, and now you're saying that the F1 game is going to get it too?" The legal ramifications of that would just hold everything up anyway.

And still, it would take a long time for Codies to build the tracks. By the time they've done that, they've wasted money and resources on tracks that probably won't be in the 2021 calendar, and could instead have used the talent and resources for other legitimate purposes.

Edit: Also just saw a reference to the reference photography, I was going to mention this too. This was mentioned by Lee Mather when he was talking about Zandvoort. I think due to the Coronavirus it made recon of the circuit a lot harder. I may be misremembering though. 

Edited by s00zster
  • Thanks 1
  • Agree 2

I do wonder what will happen next year. If the world isn’t back to a bit more normal there could be all sorts of surprises in the calendar. It would take a lot of work for Codemasters to produce everything in time for F1 2021. 

I believe the Miami race is still scheduled to go ahead next year so I guess that’s one track they’ll have probably already started work on. But who knows really, now.

7 hours ago, kalamazoo123 said:

Well i’m sorry if me holding a different opinion to you upsets you.

This has nothing to do with opinions nor being upset.

If Lee Mathers says that they can't do it, you can't just say they can and that it's your opinion that they can. Do you know how much time it actually costs to make one track? What has got to be done to make it work? How much that this will cost and what is exactly in the agreement between CM and the FOM? You might think you know the answers to all these questions, but you don't. You want it to happen, so you think it can happen. Well, it can't.

• Like 1

Wow! It’s like we should be expecting game developers to magical up 4 tracks in a couple of weeks. 

Absolutely clueless OP and what it takes to obtain the license and get this produced and working to a sufficient standard. 

Why though do we need multiple threads on this when CM have been clear from the start. 

Shall we edit FIFA to take crowds out halfway through? 

• Haha 2

This thread is hilarious, the OP would be the first in line to complain about the quality of the tracks he wants, if by some act of God they miraculously appeared in the game. 

Lots of sensible posts above and I'll just add one comment.

Nobody buying the game should have been in any doubt about what tracks were going to be included, and there has been no suggestion whatsoever from Codemasters that additional tracks would be added to this. As such there is zero reason for any sense of entitlement for new tracks to be added, even if it were technically possible.

• Thanks 1
  • Agree 5

Demanding the impossible from a small team. People are already unhappy with the state that this year's game has been released (not me I'm quite enjoying it so far) and yet people want to put pressure to add tracks? Bonkers! As well as the licensing aspect they simply do not have the time or resources to add tracks this year. 

• Agree 1

I'm not sure about adding the new tracks but i would say if codemasters accidentally deleted Hanoi off the game at the next patch it wouldn't be the worst thing....... :classic_biggrin:

• Haha 6

9 minutes ago, SIMRACER123 said:

I'm not sure about adding the new tracks but i would say if codemasters accidentally deleted Hanoi off the game at the next patch it wouldn't be the worst thing....... :classic_biggrin:

Same here... Sector 3.... urgh