Sign in to follow this  

A few questions regarding controller options in Grid Autosport (PC Version)

Before I order Grid Autosport, I would like to know if the Advanced settings (Linearity, Saturation, Deadzone, etc) will be available to ANY controller that is used regardless if it's a wheel, gamepad, joystick or whatever? Grid 2 only gave you access to those options if you had a wheel, and it had to be an "officially supported" wheel at that. That was the first Codemasters game that ever did that. I use a custom joystick by CH Products. Due to physical limitations, I cannot use a wheel or a gamepad. I've used this joystick for 15+ years and it has always worked great with Codemasters' games until Grid 2. I hope the same mistake is not made in Grid Autosport.

It would also be great if there was the same option as there is in your F1 games to over ride the controller type and force it to wheel, pad, other, etc.

Bob

good question bob , i wonder exactly the same.... cause i need to sdjust the saturation , dead zones in my      xbox 360 gamepad my self... :-?

I have a wheel that wasn't supported in Grid2, but is in the F1 games.  I also echo Bob's question.

This should be an easy question to answer by Loore or any other community manager. I need access to those options or it will just be Grid 2 all over again. DaWangus had the same problem with his Thomas SuperWheel. He and I are friends that have been racing together since Toca Race Driver 2. We both own every Toca, Colin McRae, Dirt, F1 and Grid game ever made and we have always had access to those options until Grid 2. So we are both hoping those options will be available again in Grid Autosport. If not, it's a no buy for both of us.

GRID's Advanced Settings are necessary to optimize handling with a keyboard as well.  Pretty unmanageable without correct settings, and they vary from PC to PC.  I don't see how handling can be optimized without it.

Frank

Bob422 said:
This should be an easy question to answer by Loore or any other community manager. I need access to those options or it will just be Grid 2 all over again. DaWangus had the same problem with his Thomas SuperWheel. He and I are friends that have been racing together since Toca Race Driver 2. We both own every Toca, Colin McRae, Dirt, F1 and Grid game ever made and we have always had access to those options until Grid 2. So we are both hoping those options will be available again in Grid Autosport. If not, it's a no buy for both of us.
Advanced controller options are only available for supported wheels in Autosport. I have asked the question if this can / will be changed.

Loore said
Advanced controller options are only available for supported wheels in Autosport. I have asked the question if this can / will be changed.

This is a major bummer. These are the kinds of features that make your games so great and sets you apart from the rest. Yet year after year, game after game these kind of things keep disappearing. For the small studio you are, I would think your teams would work together better and share these basic, yet essential elements with every game you make. This same type of thinking is exactly what led to the downfall of the EA's Need For Speed franchise, and sadly I see Codemasters making the same mistakes. There are just some things you expect to be in your games because they always have been there. I am seriously disappointed as this game really looked like it was heading in the right direction, and now I'll never know as I can't afford to spend $45 without knowing how my joystick will respond with no in game adjustments available.

Thanks for replying and asking if it can be changed, but I think we both know the answer to that.

Bummed out Bob :(

I recall being able to edit a config file hidden in the depths of Grid2's files that meant I was able to reduce my gamepad's saturation.  It meant I could steer much easier with an ultra sensitive analogue stick - at the cost of hairpin turns - which before the edit veered off on a straight by merely resting my thumb on the stick.

Not ideal, the in-game option would obviously be better, but Bob if I could do it with my limited techie knowhow i'm sure you could follow the idiot's guide I used for your joystick changes too.  I kept the guide and will dig it out for GAS if required as i'm sure it'll be almost the same code. \m/

DJ007 said:
I recall being able to edit a config file hidden in the depths of Grid2's files that meant I was able to reduce my gamepad's saturation.  It meant I could steer much easier with an ultra sensitive analogue stick - at the cost of hairpin turns - which before the edit veered off on a straight by merely resting my thumb on the stick.

Not ideal, the in-game option would obviously be better, but Bob if I could do it with my limited techie knowhow i'm sure you could follow the idiot's guide I used for your joystick changes too.  I kept the guide and will dig it out for GAS if required as i'm sure it'll be almost the same code. \m/

DJ007,

Wangus and I tweaked the dinput_default.xml to it's limits and never found a comfortable setup. There was a fine line between too sensitive and sloppy-huge-deadzone-unresponsive. We never found that balance. We had something crazy like -40, yes negative 40, deadzone and 30 saturation just to get the cars to turn. There was no Linearity settings in the file. We go to any of of F1 games, Dirt 2, Dirt 3, Grid 1 and everything is perfect with in game adjustments and no file editing. Why they decided to reserve these options to only officially supported wheels and nothing else in Grid 2 and Autosport just baffles me. EVERY controller type should have these options available like ALL of their other games. It's just common sense in my book. Therefor I will not buy Autosport.

Bob422 said:

It's just common sense in my book...

Couldn't agree more Bob422.  Auto voice-mute and text chat implementation too!  @-)

Voice IS off as default and there is also PTT which can be any assignable button.

I do hope they add more control options for pad users as it really made a difference to the gameplay in Grid 1, haven't used a controller much since I got a wheel and cannot understand why they would decide to deny controller and KB users in this way...

Very sad...

Voice IS off as default and there is also PTT which can be any assignable button.
%-(   Hallelujah!  %-(   (-and yes i did google how to spell that!)  Thanks Rastus.  Hmmm, guess i'll be having fun with my pad steering this year again... else i'll have to get a new slimline desk and dust my wheel off.

Are keyboard players going to have Driving Options>Advanced Settings or not?  What's the deal here, Loore?  The world wants to know.

Frank
PC/keyboard, offline single player.

RubyRuby said:
Are keyboard players going to have Driving Options>Advanced Settings or not?  What's the deal here, Loore?  The world wants to know.

Frank
yeah it would be nice to know @Loore

RubyRuby said:

Frank

Loore said only supported wheels in his post above.

Bob422 said:
RubyRuby said:

Frank

Loore said only supported wheels in his post above.
well it is possible to play with keyboards as well at least in the pervious Grid games anyway. I would assume the handling on keyboards would be very similar to the F1 games given Autosport supposedly has a more sim feel this time but I can't say for certain only @Loore can

This is just silly.  Codemasters put full controller options for any controller in their F1 games.  Can't be that hard to do for Autosport. Is there any chance we will see a change before the game is released, or a patch soon after?

DaWaangus said:
This is just silly.  Codemasters put full controller options for any controller in their F1 games.  Can't be that hard to do for Autosport. Is there any chance we will see a change before the game is released, or a patch soon after?
in fact there is such a choice in all of their most famous games like f1 series dirt series , toca series , grid 1 etc...we need patch or update soon for this codemasters!  :-w

Loore said:

Any updated info Loore?

in fact there is such a choice in all of their most famous games like f1 series dirt series , toca series , grid 1 etc...we need patch or update soon for this codemasters!  :-w
I agree 100%.

Not at launch, we're looking into the feasibility of adding it in via a patch but I can't guarantee it'll be there. We are looking at it though.

Thanks to a video posted by Skid I discovered that the option to hide the steering wheel in cockpit view is in the Advanced Wheel options. So not only am I locked out of the options to adjust my joystick, but I'll be stuck with an onscreen steering wheel in the cockpit view. The development team has got to step up and give us back the options we need and deserve.

Bob422 said:
Thanks to a video posted by Skid I discovered that the option to hide the steering wheel in cockpit view is in the Advanced Wheel options. So not only am I locked out of the options to adjust my joystick, but I'll be stuck with an onscreen steering wheel in the cockpit view. The development team has got to step up and give us back the options we need and deserve.
well @Loore has said they're looking into it so lets give them time to see what they come up with