F1 2020 |NEW PATCH AND DRIVER RATINGS | READ ME!!! Read more... ×

How do you build your setups?

Interested to see people’s methods for reaching their race setups each weekend.

I imagine people prefer to start by achieving a fast quali setup and then adjust from that towards a more race friendly setup. Or do you do your first few practice runs with high fuel to get a starting setup?

Do you have some track based adjustments that you make before you even start practice?

Do you have one base setup that you always start with and adjust from that each weekend.

Or are you happy running fundamentally different setups for different tracks.

I've only done TT, so I can't speak to race setups. However, I more-or-less averaged the two downforce presets to get the seup below, which I use on tracks like Silverstone.

D-force 01 setup
Aero: 7-8
Regular suspension: 3-2
Anti-roll: 5-4
Ride height: 4-6
Tyre pressure: 22.2 psi-20.3 psi

I have a setup which I like the feel of and then adjust the wing from track to track.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, USPBauer24 said:

I have a setup which I like the feel of and then adjust the wing from track to track.

Mines the same. 

5-8 wings to start. (Adjust this for each track) 

Lowest tyre pressure.

Max brakes

2-6, 6,6 2,3 susp

Camber and toe is the same as set 4 in the setups. 

• Thanks 1

I take the esports guys setups and change a thing or two. Always works and they're the best if you just want to be fast.

I have a spreadsheet that I use to track my performance and keep tabs with things like AI level adjustments by logging a handful of deltas per GP. In there I have a session for setups too.

There are two approaches for me. I either start from Preset 4, that's been lauded as a darn good base one this time, and build from there considering how much more or less of a downforce heavy the track in mind is, or I go from quality setups I can find online. There are probably three setup sites I visit frequently to pull examples and start building or tweaking my own accordingly to my driving style. For this latter approach my spreadsheet come in handy for two formulae I use:

• Average. It calculates the median values from my sample for each slider.
  • Mode. It is a type of average in a way, but instead of giving you the value in the middle it shows you the most common value in the sample. This is useful in case you have extreme values muddying your average.

With that data in hand, I take a guess at an initial setup, that I'll use on Free Practice 1 to do the Track Acclim. programme and get a feel for how the car is behaving. This is important: working from other people setups will only give you an idea for what works and what is cuckoo crazy for any given track; you need to adjust them for your driving style otherwise don't even bother, just go with Preset 4 or whatever setup you most have faith in. That's because for the first time I feel like one click, just a single click, is all it takes to change a specific aspect of your handling from "nah, could be better" to "oh man I feel like a greek hero riding a war stallion into the sun". 

For that to work though you need to have an idea of what each setting does.

I recommend common sense when pulling setups online though. Avoid taking clearly imbalanced ones (aero 2-10 and BS like that), do not put your trust on setups from members with low rep and most importantly avoid those left/right setups – when you pop open the Suspension Geometry and you got two sliders on Max and two on Min. That's a "give me anything and I'll barge my way through it" mentality, not a long race thought out setup.

image.thumb.png.00a2ed5f267a594d4156c38f6d46bc99.png

• Thanks 1
  • Agree 1

Posted (edited)
5 hours ago, inspiretheworld said:

Mines the same. 

5-8 wings to start. (Adjust this for each track) 

Lowest tyre pressure.

Max brakes

2-6, 6,6 2,3 susp

Camber and toe is the same as set 4 in the setups. 

Preset 4 is great because of its suspension geometry and tyre pressures. It is nothing crazy but it shares those two things with many online and TT setups (while being tyre wear friendly too).

I've checked through telemetry: with preset 4's toe and camber you can extend stints by 2/4 laps in 100% distance. So it is very solid for longer races and doesn't overheat.

Guys, I gave F1 2019 to a friend who recently started following F1. I can't remember if 2019 had the same exact preset 4 or if it was different...

Edited by sirio994
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, sirio994 said:

Guys, I gave F1 2019 to a friend who recently started following F1. I can't remember if 2019 had the same exact preset 4 or if it was different...

Must have been different since David revamped the handling model. The default settings for off-throttle differential and braking pressure for instance are respectively lower and higher than F1 2019's, whatever the preset. I don't think he would have stopped there knowing that we now have more traction, can do away with a stiffer suspension and tend to the oversteery side of the scale when attacking a corner. I'm not one to dwell on default setups but David seems thorough.

Could you elaborate on the "can extend stints by 2/4 laps"? You mean you can go from 2 to 4 laps beyond you usually did before stopping for fresh rubber? Well, now that I've actually put it down sounds quite the obviousness, but at first I thought you 2/4 stood for a fraction and I couldn't make head of tails of it. 

1 minute ago, marioho said:

Must have been different since David revamped the handling model. The default settings for off-throttle differential and braking pressure for instance are respectively lower and higher than F1 2019's, whatever the preset. I don't think he would have stopped there knowing that we now have more traction, can do away with a stiffer suspension and tend to the oversteery side of the scale when attacking a corner. I'm not one to dwell on default setups but David seems thorough.

Could you elaborate on the "can extend stints by 2/4 laps"? You mean you can go from 2 to 4 laps beyond you usually did before stopping for fresh rubber? Well, now that I've actually put it down sounds quite the obviousness, but at first I thought you 2/4 stood for a fraction and I couldn't make head of tails of it. 

The estimated tyre life is longer on average by 2 up to 4 laps compared to the AI, estimated tyre life intended as wear around 40%. So essentially with a minimum toe and reduced camber with low but not too low pressures this is what you can gain against the AI in terms of wear over the full distance (100%).

I have to compare it with more aggressive setups or even TT setups to see a full user vs user comparison. But I think all of those numbers show why preset 4 is having so much success expecially between offline players...

• Like 1
  • Agree 1