Bug Reporting - PLEASE FOLLOW RULES AND COMPLETE REPORTS Read more... ×

Safety Car not allowing lapped drivers to overtake

F1 2020 PC Version 1.05

Was just playing My Team at the second race, had just been lapped by Hamilton (1st Place, I was 10th). Ocon (9th) was only 3 seconds ahead, then the safety car came out. 

I was told to stay behind Hamilton, whilst Ocon and all in front of the safety car formed at the back the queue. When the safety car came in, Ocon was over 1 minute ahead of me.

In real racing, lapped cars (ME and those behind me) should have been told to overtake to form up the back of the queue.

Known issue for many years , but ignored/cannot be fixed by Codemasters

@BarryBL , can you maybe elaborate WHY this Rule cannot be enforced in the Game for all these years ?

• Agree 3

This is really annoying in 100% races, where there are many lapped cars. Race results if there is a late safety car are screwed up. In earlier games it worked well, I don't know why now seems impossibile to overtake. Should be an easy fix

2 hours ago, HakkinenWDC said:

This is really annoying in 100% races, where there are many lapped cars. Race results if there is a late safety car are screwed up. In earlier games it worked well, I don't know why now seems impossibile to overtake. Should be an easy fix

Sorry, but in previous years you were not able to unlap the SC. This is ignored/not designed by CM.

• Agree 1

I remember Barry mentioning a while ago about why this isn't a thing in the F1 games and I seem to remember it being about the fact the lapped cars are only allowed to overtake if the stewards/race director says so. So basically because its not a 100% guarantee it isn't in the game.

• Like 1

Not a bug, by design. But there's a thread here in suggestions section for everyone to add their ideas. 

Important to remember that it isn't compulsory for lapped cars to unlap  themselves under SC and is only allowed at the discretion of the race director. 

17 hours ago, philappleraily said:

Sorry, but in previous years you were not able to unlap the SC. This is ignored/not designed by CM.

I remember it was possible in F1 2014 and F1 2016.

True that it is at discretion by the race director, but I think it's almost 100% guaranteed. Can't remember a rece where it was forbidden.

1 hour ago, SpringbokGamer said:

I havent heard that its optional in real F1

It definitely is. The reason being that if the decision it taken to allow it then this forces the safety car to stay out longer whilst the back-markers do the unlapping.

I'm not sure if it's available in all game modes but one option the game has to prevent issues from lapped cars is for them to ghost.