Forum Championship League | BELGIAN GP 22/01/2021 Read more... ×
F1 2020 | 1.15 PATCH NOW LIVE Read more... ×

Car behavior in curves

When I am with other cars near the corners my car has a very strange behavior, it seems that it does not turn, going off the track. When I'm in qualify doing the lap alone, the car turns perfectly. can anybody help me?

Game on PS4 controller with brakes on the low and traction control on the middle

If there is a car right in front of you I can imagine you losing downforce and grip due to the dirty air from that car?

• Agree 3

Just now, Jenteb07 said:

If there is a car right in front of you I can imagine you losing downforce and grip due to the dirty air from that car?

^This.

Not being quite so close to the car in front, or following a slightly different line through the corner, should reduce the effect but also mean you're not as close when you come to the next straight where you'd be trying to overtake.

This is undoubtedly dirty air, which everyone of us hates. Try braking earlier or taking a different line to the car in front. This is noticeable on long sweeping corners, and the effect can be powerful leading to unwanted situations... For drivers who are sensitive to car balance, the effect can be felt when you already 2-3 seconds behind. The closer you get, and if you do not have a strong pace advantage over the car in front, the more cautious you need to be, and the more difficult it gets to keeping up with the car in front. 

This is why you see some drivers struggle to overtake others in real life as well... 

Goddamnit all quality posts in this thread! I'm overjoyed!

Yeah, that's dirty air and the game is modeling what happens in real life. Depending on who you ask, that's the main focus of the next FIA regulations change for 2021/2020: mitigating the dirty air effect by somewhat allowing the resurgence of ground effect. Chain Bear has a great video on the subject!

Dirty air is not easy. It forces the trailing driver to go through a 40% downforce loss when cornering.

That said, I'm loving the state of things right now. Initially all I could look forward to was this reg change with the ground effect and that sick aero piece over the front wheels that I find lovely, but it was postponed to 2022. Then we had Ricciardo over to McLaren and Sainz to Ferrari and that got me all fuzzy warm on the insides (?) again. And the saving grace for 2020, Portimao and Nurburgring added to the calendar! 

Edit: Dirty air is a fact of life. You need to anticipate it. If you're bound to get that loss on downforce given your position trailing the car in front, expect to understeer wide mid corner.

Edited by marioho
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1

Ok, thanks for the explanations, any tips on how to avoid this? Because I see gameplays on youtube and that doesn't happen with players. Even those who play with the controller.

53 minutes ago, Faustex said:

Ok, thanks for the explanations, any tips on how to avoid this? Because I see gameplays on youtube and that doesn't happen with players. Even those who play with the controller.

If you read back you'll see several of us have already explained how to reduce the effects of dirty air :classic_smile:.

Nobody is immune. TRL Limitless span off the track in a race by being caught out by this recently for example (see video below), and he's a former eSports driver. Note that this is a much stronger effect in F1 2020 than previous versions of the game, being much more realistic now I believe. 

7 hours ago, Faustex said:

Taking a different line into the corner than the one that the car in front does, is the best way to lessen the effect. You will still feel it, but it will not be as powerful as it is when you are directly behind the car. Braking early is also a help in order to ensure you get a decent line into corners. I have noticed that the longer the curve is, the more cautious you will need to be, such as turn 5 in Hungary, the final corner in Melbourne, the corner before the back straight in China, and similar corners....  Just note that, you would rather lose time than spin out or go off the track... 

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, Krisperfectline said:

Taking a different line into the corner than the one that the car in front does, is the best way to lessen the effect. You will still feel it, but it will not be as powerful as it is when you are directly behind the car. Braking early is also a help in order to ensure you get a decent line into corners. I have noticed that the longer the curve is, the more cautious you will need to be, such as turn 5 in Hungary, the final corner in Melbourne, the corner before the back straight in China, and similar corners....  Just note that, you would rather lose time than spin out or go off the track... 

I've been caught off guard a few times. Especially on the corner in China you mentioned. To be honest I'm not sure if the dirty air effect should be that high on 3rd gear at half throttle. I had no problems following other cars through Maggot and Beckets in Silverstone, but that corner in China.. oh dear.

13 hours ago, marioho said:

Goddamnit all quality posts in this thread! I'm overjoyed!

Yeah, that's dirty air and the game is modeling what happens in real life. Depending on who you ask, that's the main focus of the next FIA regulations change for 2021/2020: mitigating the dirty air effect by somewhat allowing the resurgence of ground effect. Chain Bear has a great video on the subject!

Dirty air is not easy. It forces the trailing driver to go through a 40% downforce loss when cornering.

That said, I'm loving the state of things right now. Initially all I could look forward to was this reg change with the ground effect and that sick aero piece over the front wheels that I find lovely, but it was postponed to 2022. Then we had Ricciardo over to McLaren and Sainz to Ferrari and that got me all fuzzy warm on the insides (?) again. And the saving grace for 2020, Portimao and Nurburgring added to the calendar! 

Edit: Dirty air is a fact of life. You need to anticipate it. If you're bound to get that loss on downforce given your position trailing the car in front, expect to understeer wide mid corner.

I absolutely love Chainbear's F1 vids. He's got a unique way to keep things simple and understandable.

The dirty air modelling on this is such an amazing thing on this game. 

It really does add so much to the race. No longer can you simply just drive lap after lap slinging it down the inside of the car in front. Now you sometimes struggle to get close to them as a result of the dirty air on the previous corner meaning you now have to pre plan an overtake.

• Agree 1

Y

1 hour ago, SIMRACER123 said:

It really does add so much to the race. No longer can you simply just drive lap after lap slinging it down the inside of the car in front. Now you sometimes struggle to get close to them as a result of the dirty air on the previous corner meaning you now have to pre plan an overtake.

Agreed, CM have nailed the aero wash effect of tailing a preceding car. A lot of instances so far (6 races into myteam career) of being able to catch a car but having difficulty passing because of aero wash.

4 hours ago, SIMRACER123 said:

Couldn’t agree more so much more enjoyable in 2020 edition, got sick of getting good slipstream and overtaking too easy in the worst car on grid in 2019 edition.

People are commenting on the unbalanced slipstream model this year. Like it is ok for the most part but should be more potent when you're on that final dash behind the front car, like up to 50m.

I can't truly add to that as I was away even from the sport itself, but I'm finding the roller coaster of getting to smell the fumes of the car ahead just to get my line disrupted when cornering as cool as it as gets.

Hopefully Codemasters nail it down too when the new regs take place and we have ground effect back to the menu.  

I agree on the means to lessen the effect by taking a different trajectory from the car in front, but doing this on the control is much more difficult than on the steering wheel.

Dirty air from me to myself works too? I was in front of Ricciardo and my car also spreads around the curves.

7 minutes ago, Faustex said:

Dirty air from me to myself works too? I was in front of Ricciardo and my car also spreads around the curves.

Nope. Dirty air only affects the car behind. There was something else causing you to understeer there.

I can only think of one scenario where oneself's dirty air affecting one's driving and if that's the case you should check your briefs. I heard it disrupts your footwork on the pedals and may cause some leaks on the cockpit.

Just kidding.

• Disagree 1

4 hours ago, marioho said:

I can only think of one scenario where oneself's dirty air affecting one's driving and if that's the case you should check your briefs. I heard it disrupts your footwork on the pedals and may cause some leaks on the cockpit.

Just kidding.

Not the best way to induce weight reduction