F1 2020 |NEW PATCH AND DRIVER RATINGS | READ ME!!! Read more... ×
Vote for the best MyTeam story now! Read more... ×

Setups

Hello fellow racers, 

I've always loved F1 games and consider myself pretty good at them as well. But there's one thing I never got the hang of, which is doing setups myself. I've watched countless tutorial videos and played around in time trial for hours but never managed to do it. 
Because of that, I am still playing F1 2017. Main reason is not just because I get to play without the halo and the game is actually a really good game, but because I have a setup for every track in that game. Back in the day when TRL Limitless still used to play with the controller and made setup videos, I straight up copied those setups and they always worked brilliantly for me. 

But after seeing and reading so much about F1 2020, I am really really tempted to buy it. It seems like a great game and it'd be awesome to play with updated teams/drivers again. Plus the creation of your own team in career mode seems awesome (Peugeot F1 team here I come!). 
But my main issue with it and not buying the game is that I won't have setups. I know that the standard setups aren't really that bad, but I've tried them on F1 2018 and F1 2019 on my friend's games and they feel very weird to my driving style. I know this may sound very weird, but the fear of not having good setups and not being as fast as I can be is seriously putting me off of buying the latest F1 game. Even worse, has caused me to not buy the last 3 F1 games. 
So I'm looking for advice.. Because I tried buying F1 2019 before and basically got it refunded after an hour of gameplay because it kept playing on my mind so badly that I wouldn't have the good setups I used to have in F1 2017. And quite obviously, copying those over to a different game doesn't work. 

So how can I get decent setups in a new F1 game up to a point where I have a solid setup saved for each track again without TRL Limitless making those videos anymore?
I tried googling setups and setup guides. But even for someone like me, who is absolutely clueless in making his own setups I could even see some that I found were absolutely bonkers and would never ever work. 

On top of that, most content creators who make videos about it, play the game with a wheel and not a controller like me. And well.. using a wheel setup for a controller isn't really a great idea. 

Either way, I'd appreciate some advice on setups, whether to buy F1 2020 or to stick to 2017, etc etc. 
And no need to call me silly or weird.. I am very well aware of that :P

Thank you in advance.

U can copy anyone’s setup in time trial mode on your system (PS4,Xbox & PC) on the F1 games. Then adjust them to your driving style. 

Haha we got you!

Here's my approach to setups:

I mainly use these sites to pull base setups from the internet:

They're in order. And we do have a setup section in here too.

So data to work your way into building your own setups you'll have aplenty.

Couple that with a solid telemetry app and you're golden. I used one to nail down my tyre pressures for my last GP, Australia season 1:

image.png.8d3f78c7b9993eeb1f702988e293dedd.png

You don't need that by any means. It's just that I get great satisfaction in tweaking it all to a tee, a setup that fits my style and my circumstances – pad user.

In this regard I'm finding F1 2020 way more rewarding than last year's game. Maybe it's just my sensitiveness and understanding that improved, but this time it does feel like a single click in a slider makes a difference. Not of the make or break type, but one that undoubtedly means a step towards a fitting setup for you.

You need to get a gist of what each setting does, though. Seems to me that you're the kind of person that will like this learning curve, so don't worry. However if you don't want to bother learning how to setup but can't fathom racing without a good one, yeah, this game may backfire in your face as the handling changes wildly depending on how you drive.

Things things won't be easily noticed at first, but once you get better at driving you see how much of an impact a properly set rear anti-roll bar can make in your lap times haha

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

I recently watched TRL Limitless' latest setup vid and it was very good and informative. He also gives you a base setup to start from, i'll post it below. I've used this setup for all career races so far and it works great in all conditions. I only change the aero and ride height depending on the track and weather.

Basic setup:
aero

transmission
50%
70%

suspension geometry

suspension

brakes
100%
56%

tires

Edited by MikeV27

It's interesting seeing different peoples set ups. I tried one of the TRL limitless set ups once and whilst he was able to drive it quickly, i found it had the turning circle of the Titanic.

I notice this with a lot of the you tube streamer set ups that they seem to drive rather weirdly and i could never fathom out how people decided that would be the fastest set up available.

I did even start to wonder at one point if set ups "feel" slightly different in cockpit view compared to T-Cam view which most tend to use.

• Agree 1

@marioho Which telemetry app are you using? Looks pretty neat. Was the data available in that format or did you "package" it yourself?

I see you overheated your left tires on all setup variations! Perhaps tone down the pressures a bit? 😃

8 minutes ago, SIMRACER123 said:

It's interesting seeing different peoples set ups. I tried one of the TRL limitless set ups once and whilst he was able to drive it quickly, i found it had the turning circle of the Titanic.

I notice this with a lot of the you tube streamer set ups that they seem to drive rather weirdly and i could never fathom out how people decided that would be the fastest set up available.

I did even start to wonder at one point if set ups "feel" slightly different in cockpit view compared to T-Cam view which most tend to use.

Same thing for me. Tried one yesterday, couldn't go anywhere with it. I think there's a difference in setup preference between the two camera angle users. Over the years I've found that in general T-Cam drivers prefer more stable understeery setups. Do you happen to know some fast cockpit drivers who share setup vids?

44 minutes ago, janbonator said:

Same thing for me. Tried one yesterday, couldn't go anywhere with it. I think there's a difference in setup preference between the two camera angle users. Over the years I've found that in general T-Cam drivers prefer more stable understeery setups. Do you happen to know some fast cockpit drivers who share setup vids?

Sadly not that is why i always do my own set ups. I tried one of from some James chap too. Some worlds fastest gamer person. I was just intrigued to see what his handled like and his felt awful too. 

Really the only way of knowing for sure is if someone competent enough at driving both views is able to comment. I only race cockpit cam. I have tried T-Cam and whilst i can drive it in a reasonable manner i wouldn't like to say i am driving as well as i do from cockpit cam to be able to give a proper conclusion.

Having said that, another user mentioned a couple of days ago in a different thread they felt the feel in cockpit view differs to T-Cam so maybe there is something in it. Dunno.. 

• Agree 1

I drive cockpit view only and when I switch to T-Cam, I also find the exact same setup extremely different. I don't believe it's placebo, because my wheel input is the same, yet the car doesn't behave the same as in cockpit view.

57 minutes ago, janbonator said:

I dont think its related to the view, i think its down to driver style. Ive owned all the F1 games since 2013, but never made it past 20 hours per game, until this year anyway (already up to 60 hours in 2020), so i am not used to the F1 games at all. I drive in tcam just so i dont need to bother with using nv surround for triple screen in cockpit view. Ive found the F1 youtuber setups to be the same high understeer and difficult to get turn in. The setups are so soft, especially at the front, the nose just doesnt want to turn in. ive ended up going for a stiffer setup overall and that seems to be working well for me. Cars feel much more direct, and i can get actual rotation into the corners and better drive out of them.

Posted (edited)
7 minutes ago, ragequit1 said:

I drive cockpit view only and when I switch to T-Cam, I also find the exact same setup extremely different. I don't believe it's placebo, because my wheel input is the same, yet the car doesn't behave the same as in cockpit view.

When changing view, your perspective of the track and fov changes. So your driving will be off till you properly adjust to the new view. Which means your breaking, turning and acceleration points will be off at first. This is what will be making things feel different. The physics dont change based on view, just your perspective of the track.

Edit: Sorry for the double post, on my phone atm, and the quoted post was added while i was typing my previous post.

Edited by Ialyrn

3 minutes ago, ragequit1 said:

I think it's just because of the visual difference. In sim racing we only have a few senses to rely on, vision being the most important. So when you suddenly find yourself levitating above the car, it inevitably feels different. I tried T-Cam for a while a few years ago. After an adjustment period I was faster with it. Switched back to cockpit though and haven't changed it since because I just find it much more fun. My feeling was that oversteer was slightly harder/slower to detect, but corner cutting and kerb-riding was so much easier that it more than made up for it. That's where the setup differences come as well - I think with cockpit you cannot be as aggressive with kerbs, because the whole camera starts to shake and it becomes hard to drive and feels unstable. So, I usually have either softer suspension settings than most, or go with a stiffer car but avoid the kerbs.

• Agree 2

I normally drive in T-Cam and that is where i don't bother so much with setups. It feels different than cockpit cam. The same setup from T-Cam to cockpit can feel way to harsh.

What i am missing in cockpit cam is to set the camera way more to the front. It would like to adjust the setting so that the rim is out of the view and is from perspective at the place my real rim is placed. So i would say i would try a back nose cam. I think the overall view would be horrible, but maybe in a few years we will get triple screen support and can adjust the camera to our real seat.

5 hours ago, janbonator said:

@marioho Which telemetry app are you using? Looks pretty neat. Was the data available in that format or did you "package" it yourself?

I see you overheated your left tires on all setup variations! Perhaps tone down the pressures a bit? 😃

Haha those are the max temperature registered, the average one was a bit lower. I don't mind having the occasional 105°+ spike on the outside tyre in a lap because if it is still close to the ideal temp range it means it is manageable – not every lap in a race need to be your balls out attempt of a fast lap and as long as the spike is confined to a specific corner or complex of corners you know when to go easy on it.

That coupled with the temp window David gave us being more of an overall take? I think there are still subtle differences of a +/-5ºC according to the type of dry compound you're using, as C1 and C4 for instance still have quite different thresholds in real life. I may be wrong here.

The average tyre temps were within the proper working range:

image.png.5683e559be4538e7f3da420f067f8894.png

@janbonator @QmanXV there are a few good telemetry apps out there. I'm still waiting for SRT to release the F1 2020 version, but we got already:

They're both free and resourceful. There's RS Dash too.

• Thanks 2
  • Disagree 1

Thanks. I use Iko Rein's telemetry app, I find the telemetry page gets a bit weird at times, keeping several records (not just the red and blue lap) and I have not found a reliable within it to easily show me things like pitch, yaw and roll. I may be missing something but don't really have the time to delve deeper into it, which it obviously deserves. 

I will check out PXG now. 

On 7/27/2020 at 2:27 PM, Malarky94 said:

Hello fellow racers, 

I've always loved F1 games and consider myself pretty good at them as well. But there's one thing I never got the hang of, which is doing setups myself. I've watched countless tutorial videos and played around in time trial for hours but never managed to do it. 
Because of that, I am still playing F1 2017. Main reason is not just because I get to play without the halo and the game is actually a really good game, but because I have a setup for every track in that game. Back in the day when TRL Limitless still used to play with the controller and made setup videos, I straight up copied those setups and they always worked brilliantly for me. 

But after seeing and reading so much about F1 2020, I am really really tempted to buy it. It seems like a great game and it'd be awesome to play with updated teams/drivers again. Plus the creation of your own team in career mode seems awesome (Peugeot F1 team here I come!). 
But my main issue with it and not buying the game is that I won't have setups. I know that the standard setups aren't really that bad, but I've tried them on F1 2018 and F1 2019 on my friend's games and they feel very weird to my driving style. I know this may sound very weird, but the fear of not having good setups and not being as fast as I can be is seriously putting me off of buying the latest F1 game. Even worse, has caused me to not buy the last 3 F1 games. 
So I'm looking for advice.. Because I tried buying F1 2019 before and basically got it refunded after an hour of gameplay because it kept playing on my mind so badly that I wouldn't have the good setups I used to have in F1 2017. And quite obviously, copying those over to a different game doesn't work. 

So how can I get decent setups in a new F1 game up to a point where I have a solid setup saved for each track again without TRL Limitless making those videos anymore?
I tried googling setups and setup guides. But even for someone like me, who is absolutely clueless in making his own setups I could even see some that I found were absolutely bonkers and would never ever work. 

On top of that, most content creators who make videos about it, play the game with a wheel and not a controller like me. And well.. using a wheel setup for a controller isn't really a great idea. 

Either way, I'd appreciate some advice on setups, whether to buy F1 2020 or to stick to 2017, etc etc. 
And no need to call me silly or weird.. I am very well aware of that 😛

Thank you in advance.

If you're looking for good solid setups and don't want to do much tinkering with them yourself, some of us just want to go racing after all 🙂

These guys should have you covered https://realsport101.com/?s=f1+2020+setup

• Agree 1

On 7/28/2020 at 1:42 PM, MikeV27 said:

I recently watched TRL Limitless' latest setup vid and it was very good and informative. He also gives you a base setup to start from, i'll post it below. I've used this setup for all career races so far and it works great in all conditions. I only change the aero and ride height depending on the track and weather.

I watched that video as well and I am still struggling to fully wrap my head around it. 
You mention that you change the aero and ride height depending on either track and/or weather. 
How do you even go about with this? Like, I watched the video.. But how do I even start to figure out what to change those things to depending on the track? Simply by moving it 1 or 2 points each time and go out on track and keep trying and adjusting? That seems like a huge timesink. 
Not that I have the biggest issue with timesink, I mean, I used to always drive with the racingline on and made myself turn in off when I got into F1 2017 and it took many hours for me to learn all the tracks. But that was at least something I would understand and comprehend. These setups, not really...
Like for example I would use that Limitless setup for say... Bahrain. What do I even change the aero and ride height to? And like Monaco.. I know I need more downforce there... see.. I'm already hella confused again 😞

What could actually help me are some very basic and simply examples. So let's say I use this setup:

aero

transmission
50%
70%

suspension geometry

suspension

brakes
100%
56%

tires

A) I'm driving on for example Bahrain. I'm noticing from this setup that corners are fine and rotation of the car is fine too but the straight line speed is lacking compared to other cars. How do I increase the straightline speed without compromising the cornering too much?

B) I'm driving this setup on Monaco, I'm noticing way too slow cornering speed, how do I improve the cornering by changing...?

C) I'm somewhat aware that aero has to be changed for straight line speed but how do I balance it? This is where I get lost. I'm super intrigued by F1 and have been watching it since I was 4. But this technical side is like math to me. Spoiler alert: I was terrible at math in school. 

• Thanks 1

Bahrain is probably a bad example to discuss really.

The AI are slightly overpowered at Bahrain. Plus i believe the AI run 5/5 wings and I'm not entirely convinced half these set ups people copy with high rear wings are created with multiplayer in mind rather than AI using low wings.

@Malarky94 haha I understand your frustration but from reading these couple comments it seems to me that you're wobbling between wanting to know how to setup your car and not knowing how setup works.

Broadly speaking, there are two kind of players. The ones that know how to setup and the ones that don't like to bother with it – which is totally fine and is not supposed to detract from your fun in any way shape or form.

If you fall on the latter, you could either go with the preset setups or use one of third party, like the ones from TRL or Jaaames. Worst case scenario, you spend a couple minutes gathering these setups and a couple laps on Free Practice 1 trying them until you're satisfied.

Alternatively you could get a notion of what each setting does so that you either build your own setups or you're well equipped to modify third parties' ones.

If you want to get that basic notion, then:

• The tips on the Car Setup screen are not that bad, even if a bit too basic. I remember reading them, going "nah", learning about setups on my own and getting to read them again and "oh c'mon it was written here all this time". Go figure.
  • Chris Haye's setup guide is one of the best lying around. It is not focused on any sim racing specifically, talking about principles that you can immediately apply to your gaming whether you're on Assetto Corsa or F1 2020. On the desciption of the last video there's a handy cheat sheet for that "what if I...? Then you adjust..." type of thing – not unlike your last comment. This is a gem, both informative and accurate.
  • Jaaames' setup guide. It is for Codemasters' F1 games and I remember it being good. He even shows how each setting translates to handling with gameplay clips. He's not as capable on getting the knowledge across like Haye is and maybe for the lack of clarity, maybe for a momentary mental trip, I remember getting some wires crossed regarding a few aspects. But I still recommend it specially for the gameplay and his method of talking about how "if you go with slider A on max and slider B on min, you'll have this; conversely, if you set slider A to min and...". 
  • TRL Limitless setup guide. Didn't watch it fully yet but TRL is a nice chap and sometimes his setups end up similar to mine, which I'm taking as we being on the same conceptual ballpark of how they work.
  • Sim Racing Setups setup guide. Again, didn't watch it fully but the video is handy, is divided into chapters for easy navigation and I often agree with their reasoning for approaching a given track, even if our setups end up different.

I'd go one further, though. Or, depending on how you see it, taking this intermediate step between where you are now and those setup guides. I found it super interesting to get to know how all these mechanics work and one resource that was of great impact was Chain Bear's videos. Like this one on tyre camber and this one on toe angles. It helps on even understanding what commentators talk about during F1 broadcasting. 

• Thanks 1

@marioho, I'm upto Monza in my 1st season on Myteam, and I'll be running your setup for FP1 (at least) so I know who to blame. Anybody got any suggestions for what I run in FP2?? 😅

• Haha 1

There is also a huge difference between a TT setup and a race setup and likewise for a pad user and a wheel user. I believe the above quoted setup to be horribly unbalanced and un-derivable as a race setup on a wheel but for a TT on a pad I'm sure it can produce a decent lap time. 

For mine, setup is about balance and drive ability, if the car is twitchy and hard to handle then a 100% race distance becomes a nightmare. Too many allegedly fast setups out there like the above are unbalanced and would produce an extremely twitchy and hard to handle car. How on Earth that user can drive a setup with 9 rear aero and be in the slightest bit competitive on the straights (not getting passed easily by the AI) is beyond me, in addition the diff settings are bizarre...the on throttle diff should always be higher then the off throttle diff except in the rain, also why is the the toe out setting so low? that would make the car very unstable in low speed corners but the biggest instability there of all is the anti roll bar settings, 3 and 9 seriously? All that would create is a weird pitching around prolonged corners and severe tyre wear on the rears. 

Like I said there's a huge difference between TT setups and race setups. 

Posted (edited)

@KittyFit90 word. There are lots of aberration setups online. A minimum knowledge of how these things work is useful to know proper F1 setups from "I may use that for my pickup tugging my boat on summer break".    

1 hour ago, amazingblaze said:

@marioho, I'm upto Monza in my 1st season on Myteam, and I'll be running your setup for FP1 (at least) so I know who to blame. Anybody got any suggestions for what I run in FP2?? 😅

Haha did I post a setup for Monza already? If it is on F1carsetup then ok, I'll take full responsibility for it. Just keep in mind that it was made to suit my handicapped needs – i.e. being a poor man pad user with a complete inability to deal with oversteer.

Edit: Regarding how to choose an initial setup depending on the track. One is a Pirelli guide for the F1 circuits. The other seemingly a post on Reddit with the user's personal preference. Honestly, if I were to keep solely to the preset defaults, I'd go with the Preset 4 on every track except those with Downforce grade 1, 4 and 5.

For grade 1, Maximum Top Speed. For grade 5, maximum downforce. Grade 4, Increased Downforce.

616750585_Pirellicircuitassessment.png.954b3af521519f9300366c1db3734174.pngimage.png.73a3d9b26ef3988910498236f985d879.png.45b46f0b232468bc9ca97431c56ef782.png

Edited by marioho
  • Agree 1