F1 2020 | PODIUM PASS SERIES 2 NOW LIVE| READ ME!!! Read more... ×
F1 2020 | CODEMASTERS PC FORUM CHAMPIONSHIP | LOOKING FOR DRIVERS Read more... ×

Deeper car customisation in My Team

I would really love to able to design the look of the car.

It might be that we can pick from five different body designs /side pod / five different nose and front wing designs and so on.

Also the look of the steering wheel. I use cockpit cam, so I see the wheel a lot.  It would be great to pick from a number of shapes, pick the colour, pick the layout of the buttons.

• Agree 10

That would be great, but i fear it would result in two weeks designing a car without driving. :classic_wink:

Absolutely.  If we're going to be the 11th Team, and we're the owner, then we should certainly have some say in the design of the car.  As the driver, you definitely get input into the wheel design.

Have a half dozen options to choose from for each of the following (add to this list if you think of something else, please):

Nose

Side pods

Barge boards

Front wing

Rear wing

Engine cover

Steering wheel

In the case of the wheel, I wonder if it would be possible for Codies to give us control over the entire layout.  There are certain things that are possible to be on the wheel, just as there are things that are possible to put on the HUD.  We can change the HUD, so it seems feasible that the wheel layout could be changed as well.

Personally, I love the way DRS is indicated on my wheel right now.  One light says it's available, 2 means it's on.  I never have to use look-back, so that frees up one entire button on my real wheel.  😛

Having the gear indicator on the wheel is essential to me.  I sometimes miss a shift, and that affects how the car handles.  If I'm turning at the time, I can't see the gear I'm in if it's on the car and the wheel is blocking it.

In the end, it really comes down to choice.  Having 5 or 6 different models or layouts to choose from would make more people happy.  And isn't that what games are all about?

I think this sounds great!

To keep it simple for the developers, what if we could only choose between parts on existing cars?

I.e. Take the nose and front wing from a Mercedes, but bargeboards and side pods from a Red Bull and then the rear wing from a McLaren or something? 

Obviously more of a fantasy element but it could be fun. 

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, Metisagon said:

I think this sounds great!

To keep it simple for the developers, what if we could only choose between parts on existing cars?

I.e. Take the nose and front wing from a Mercedes, but bargeboards and side pods from a Red Bull and then the rear wing from a McLaren or something? 

Obviously more of a fantasy element but it could be fun. 

This is undoubtedly the easiest way to do it (though it still isn't "easy" by any means).  These assets are already in the game, even if they're part of something else.  We have a front wing as an existing asset, for example, since that gets changed (and for some of us, far too often).   "Chopping" the rear wing, side pods, etc off the cars and then gluing them back together would make the most sense.

But for the steering wheel, it would be amazing to be able to totally customize it, right down to where the knobs and switches go.  This might be tricky, since the avatar's hands adjust things, but I'm not too concerned about which button is adjusted by my avatar when I hit the DRS button.  I'm more concerned with the placement and style of the DRS indicator lights.  (as one example)

Posted (edited)
29 minutes ago, DrDraken said:

But for the steering wheel, it would be amazing to be able to totally customize it, right down to where the knobs and switches go.  This might be tricky, since the avatar's hands adjust things, but I'm not too concerned about which button is adjusted by my avatar when I hit the DRS button.  I'm more concerned with the placement and style of the DRS indicator lights.  (as one example)

I totally agree. As you say there would be some buttons that would have to remain in place.

Maybe giving players an option between a Williams style wheel with the dash on the chassis and then a wheel like the others use. Perhaps allow us to customise the layout of the dash screen and then select the style of a few dials here and there. Probably an achievable balance. 

Edited by Metisagon
  • Like 1

Though it’s a very good idea and could be really good to have such customization options in the game 👍🏻 but as barry has mentioned in certain other topics that the cars have to be approved by FOM and hence it will not be possible to have such customizations available

• Agree 1