F1 2020 |NEW PATCH AND DRIVER RATINGS | READ ME!!! Read more... ×

AI setup (Straight line speed)

Hi All,

Does anyone know how the AI setups work across career mode?

I jumped into a race (playing at 104 difficulty) yesterday at Spa using the default setup and I've noticed a trend of getting absolutely wrecked in a straight line, particularly at the very top speed at tracks with very long straights. At first I thought it was the AI using ERS and I wasn't but it was the same lap after lap.

My guess is that the default setup just isn't workable at this difficulty and that I need to reduce the wings a lot to match their speed. I'm driving in the Haas.

Good question man. I would suggest that the default setup is too high of wings for spa, which is the reason your getting blown out with the speeds. Each track needs a different setup. Where you faster in sector 2? 

Setups will allow the same performance level for you regardless of the AI level you play at, as far as I know. Your own laptimes aren't affected by the AI level, it is only their times that scale.

It could be that your Haas doesn't have the performance to match the competition or that your setup of choice is indeed poorly optimized to match the AI performance. 

• Disagree 1

The AI uses default setups (as shown by telemetry apps). David Greco mentioned 4-5 wings in the Q&A thread. In theory default setups should work but from my experience on high difficulty levels they are programmed to be fast regardless. I feel like they have to hit a certain lap time target no matter how...

Even in Monaco, my aero setup is 6-6, every other circuit is lower otherwise you get spanked down the straights

I think the AI use fairly low wings, but not really low.

I took a low downforce (custom) setup at Spa and had no problem on the straights - could pass them or keep them behind.

Conversely i took high downforce at Hungary and was much faster than them through the corners.

Keep in mind though that engine wear will play a big factor in your straight line speed and im not convinced the AI suffer from it.

• Agree 1