Sign in to follow this  

Clarifiaction regarding Energy Store wear.

I have tried to get some answers by browsing on the internet. I have found some, but I am still slightly confused. Therefore, I politely ask for clarification. In previous games, using lean mix a lot will damage the energy store. Now that we have the overtake button and ERS, I think it is different. I am shocked that my Energy Store is at 49% after 4 races into My Team Career, and I do all three practice sessions, full qualifying and 50% race. This and the turbo charger are the only ones I am struggling with in terms durability, and this is in spite of the fact, that my team is on top of the performance chart in durability. 

So what wears the energy store? Is it the following:

- Consistent use of Lean mix fuel. 
- Retaining 90-100% charge of the battery, and not using the battery. 

- Using Overtake consistently when the battery is at low capacity. For example at 1-3%.

If using lean mix is part of it, then it is no surprise that I am wearing it faster, since I use lean mix fuel a lot in the race during sections of the track that are not taken heavily on full throttle. For instance, the final sector at Melbourne. 

Retaining high charge I think is the biggest wear cause. I used to dump it down to 10-20% as soon as possible in all sessions and the wear rate was really low and that's with running a load of practice laps on top of races.

• Agree 1

It is high charge. That's what the game tells you at least. And it makes sense. I have a lot more energy store wear in this game than last year but I also use overtake rarely when I'm driving with nobody near me.

• Agree 2

33 minutes ago, TheCroc84 said:

Retaining high charge I think is the biggest wear cause. I used to dump it down to 10-20% as soon as possible in all sessions and the wear rate was really low and that's with running a load of practice laps on top of races.

Are you kidding me? So using the energy is worth it rather than conserving it!!! I have the Energy store durability increase at 16% and I fitted a new one in FP3 in Zandvoort, and I did a lap without using any battery, and in one lap it went from 0% wear to 1% wear... That is crazy. It appears that the “saving a lot” does not when preserving power unit parts.... I will definitely use my battery a bit in practice. 

25 minutes ago, GnrDreagon said:

It is high charge. That's what the game tells you at least. And it makes sense. I have a lot more energy store wear in this game than last year but I also use overtake rarely when I'm driving with nobody near me.

By that logic, you cannot drive slowly on the track now because driving slowly will retain charge of battery. However, driving faster will possibly wear out the other components as well. If this is how it is in real life, then I am fine with that mechanic. I normally drive slowly on practice laps that are not counted in the practice programs to preserve the power unit parts. Guess this year I’ll need to moderate it a bit more..

You can drive slowly. In my experience the only way to drain your battery is using overtake mode. So it doesn't really matter how hard you push, as long as you don't use overtake you'll stay at high charge. But using overtake in it's turn wears out the MGU-K I believe.

18 hours ago, TheCroc84 said:

It worked a treat today 🤣. I managed to reduce the wear to just 6% in the race. I am waiting for the first energy store upgrade that failed, and when that will be fitted, I think I should be fine for some races. Eventually, I will take a grid penalty for the energy store.