F1 2020 |NEW PATCH AND DRIVER RATINGS | READ ME!!! Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  

My team r&d

Posted (edited)

I think to make money more valuable once fully upgraded on facilities r&d should cost resource points and money.  This will also slow down player progress as at times its too easy to leap near the top inside a couple of seasons.

Edited by TheCroc84
  • Agree 4

Posted (edited)

Totally agree.

To me it already seems like there is little to force you to be wise with your money other than having cash to sign your teammate. I mean damage and running costs do not seem to be that big at all in comparison to sponsorship money you get weekly and so I don't seem to see anything that could really throw a spanner in the works in terms of cashflow and actually force you to close a department down or have to do something drastic like that to survive. Just seems like, here's your cash for the week, invest in whatever you want without any risk of having a bad week money-wise.

It would be cool if at the end of the season, you expected to hit a certain position in the constructors and so invested in you departments/resources expecting a big cash inflow at the end of season to cover costs but actually you didn't hit that position and so have left yourself with higher costs than income and a potential cash deficit so need to close a department or decrease the size of the department/resources to stay afloat which then affects the ability to build a better car for the start of the following season and/or produce upgrades throughout too.

I am basing this off what I'm seeing in videos as I don't have hands on so please forgive and correct me if I am wrong. The last Aarava's video I've seen (episode 22 I think - season ender of S1) and he's a midfield running team at the end of season 1, receiving $2M+ a week with sponsor weekly money and performance boosts with running costs of $200k+ where all departments are level 1 except for 1 which is level 2 and plodding along fine in the R&D tree even with these low level departments. It just seems like there is a lot of reward with little risk when it comes to money from what I'm seeing and IRL, it appears to be the other way around with big teams like Williams struggling for cash and could of had (possibly still do) a very uncomfortable future in F1. Manor/Caterham have come and gone, Force India have changed hands and were struggling until Mr Stroll came along.

I know there's a lot to buy/upgrade in MyTeam but seems like you can do just fine in this mode going up the pecking order like in normal career mode by doing very little. I posted it on another thread somewhere where I saw someone try and bankrupt their team by doing nothing to get money in and crash him and his teammate out each race but was still able to get a positive bank balance. Maybe I'm being too critical.

How is everyone finding the managing of money vs difficulty getting by and improving your team? Is it too easy and just feel like it's a side mechanic added to the normal career mode where if you didn't pay too much attention to it, you'd still be fine or do you find the money actually playing a big part in the success or downfall of our team? Particularly interested on if you feel that if you don't get enough money in whether your team and car actually feels that or you feel that you could run out of money and are feeling pressured into making some drastic changes like downgrading departments or drivers?

EDIT: Sorry Croc for a slight deviation to your initial thread but felt it was linked. Tell me otherwise and I will take this elsewhere 🙂

Screen Shot 2020-07-29 at 11.27.46.png

Edited by martbloke
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)

I think it's way to unbalanced. First @TheCroc84 is right, R&D should cost resource points and money. Second the income is to high, upgrade costs for departments are to low and damage costs are a bad joke.

In my opinion a backmarker team should really struggle with money minimum first year. If you crash the car you shouldn't earn money, you should loose a big amount of it. If you get problems with money you should be forced to shut down departments, like @martbloke said. If you look at the picture above i think 115k for facility running costs are a joke. Maybe for electricity and water, but what is with personnel? You have six different facilities and only 115k per week for all? Compared to 200k from only one sponsor. Money in the game is a nice gimmick, but it has nothing to do with management.

Edited by Akkan74
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1

As a means for money sink...yeah, investment in R&D should cost money too...well, you can't improve those engines without that cash. I would also find interesting if as your team acclaim goes up, and your team supposedly gets better, the maintenance of the departments should be higher, like you're a more famous team, going up the ranks and attracting more experienced personnel, it should run at a higher maintenance, meaning that you really need to dedicate yourself with a better sponsor, sometimes sacrificing some weekly income, because you need to fight for a better bonus payment in the long run, or the other way around.

Also, that would mean trying to negotiate with the sponsors? that would be neat too, together with randomized bonus goals.

With that, I think it could be even interesting to work with how acclaims work in general. This mode has so much potential, and tbf, I think it's a nice start to this

I literally just purple my practice programs most times and get R&D points from races and weekly income and my team was 4th overall on performance by Hungary before racing point overtook me but my team became firmly was 4th by Japan and if it weren’t for a regulation change on both the Powertrain and the Aero I would of been able use the points on new parts which would of put me with the top 3. So overall my point shows that it needs to be harder next game

On 7/28/2020 at 8:32 PM, TheCroc84 said:

I think to make money more valuable once fully upgraded on facilities r&d should cost resource points and money.  This will also slow down player progress as at times its too easy to leap near the top inside a couple of seasons.

Also just noticed that the rush option for R&D is the exact same R&D cost as just the normal decelopment but is only percentage failure that is increased.

I say rushing development should cost more R&D points and also money here to simulate paying overtime as well as the increase chance of failure due to overworked workers.

Is it worth rushing developments? I have 39% failure for the chassis upgrades when I rush. I am at the Russian Gp in first season, and I was thinking of getting an upgrade for the Japanese Gp. But I think I should pass on it, as the normal development has a 14% chance of failure.