Anyone use a PS4 controller with no traction control?

I’ve always played with a ds4 and medium traction control and I’ve just now turned it off and I’m finding it hard not to spin on sharp corners any tips for a noobie? I feel like if I barley get on the throttle out of a corner I lose so much time compared to just full throttle with TC on. 

Haha I did the jump two weeks ago I think? Hard to keep track of time in this pandemic.

Actually, I'd say it is harder to keep track of time now than it is to play without TC control, so keep it up! At first I could not get a single corner right without losing the rear like a Xbox Live brat after getting knifed in CoD. Yeah, weird analogy, sorry, just got some inspiration for it from recent events.

But you'll probably get the hang of it by the second day tops. On the first I still went back and forth with TC on medium because I had the brilliant idea of trying the assist off on Hungary of all places. I guess the best tip I could give is to balance your effort with fun. If it crosses the line and you start to get frustrated, get back to TC medium and try again after a session or two.

I'll try the same with ABS off soon but I've read people saying that while it is still technically doable on a pad, on F1 2020 it won't give you that much of a performance boost compared to TC off, so take it easy. 

52 minutes ago, marioho said:

Haha I did the jump two weeks ago I think? Hard to keep track of time in this pandemic.

Actually, I'd say it is harder to keep track of time now than it is to play without TC control, so keep it up! At first I could not get a single corner right without losing the rear like a Xbox Live brat after getting knifed in CoD. Yeah, weird analogy, sorry, just got some inspiration for it from recent events.

But you'll probably get the hang of it by the second day tops. On the first I still went back and forth with TC on medium because I had the brilliant idea of trying the assist off on Hungary of all places. I guess the best tip I could give is to balance your effort with fun. If it crosses the line and you start to get frustrated, get back to TC medium and try again after a session or two.

I'll try the same with ABS off soon but I've read people saying that while it is still technically doable on a pad, on F1 2020 it won't give you that much of a performance boost compared to TC off, so take it easy. 

Thanks for the tips man! Haha yeah I’m already starting to get the hang of it and it’s only been a few hours. Still have the Occasional spin though. 😆

• Like 1

That's great! With time you'll be so in tune with the vibration feedback that the whole package just dials the fun up a few notches. It's great to feel the wheels at the edge of grip. Race starts are way more fun too! 

2 hours ago, marioho said:

That's great! With time you'll be so in tune with the vibration feedback that the whole package just dials the fun up a few notches. It's great to feel the wheels at the edge of grip. Race starts are way more fun too! 

Yeah I still haven’t got the starts down yet, I’ve just been doing time trial I need to practice starts now. 

I play on a pad with no assists and race on 105% ai. I also do not use vibrations, and the only advise I can give to you, is to not apply full throttle until 4-5th gear. You will already feel it when the car is about to slide, and do not apply the throttle fully on the high revs in lower gears. In 4th gear, you can escape from the rear sliding most of the time. However, it is a bit risky and requires practice. 

You could also try not accelerating until you straighten the steering wheel of the car. For a good way to start, say to yourself: I AM NOT TOUCHING THAT THROTTLE UNTIL STEERING WHEEL IS STRAIGHTENED!!! 🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣You can also calibrate throttle deadzone, saturation and linearity on the controller settings. For this, I recommend throttle deadzone to be higher, but you will need to find your spot for that..

2 hours ago, Krisperfectline said:

I play on a pad with no assists and race on 105% ai. I also do not use vibrations, and the only advise I can give to you, is to not apply full throttle until 4-5th gear. You will already feel it when the car is about to slide, and do not apply the throttle fully on the high revs in lower gears. In 4th gear, you can escape from the rear sliding most of the time. However, it is a bit risky and requires practice. 

You could also try not accelerating until you straighten the steering wheel of the car. For a good way to start, say to yourself: I AM NOT TOUCHING THAT THROTTLE UNTIL STEERING WHEEL IS STRAIGHTENED!!! 🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣You can also calibrate throttle deadzone, saturation and linearity on the controller settings. For this, I recommend throttle deadzone to be higher, but you will need to find your spot for that..

Thanks for the tips man much appreciated!

I'm on the transition as well, the tips are very much appreciated! going slight a bit offtopic, you guys go on Manual gears too? To be perfectly honest, I'm having issues going through so much gears 😂

@Hichel18 yep and that could have been the best thing I ever did for my driving. Not only for the fun factor but for all the resources it provides.

Rear coming loose on corner exit? A hellish hairpin? Overtaking wide on a turn? Engine braking? These things call all be achieved more competently with manual transmission.

Make sure to turn on the SFX audio beep for upshifting in the audio settings. It is very helpful at the beginning.

Edit: Maybe should make a double post here but I'm not a fan.

@Hichel18 @TylerRunsThis should have mentioned too that a good tip to get used to the no-assists drive is to start the Track Acclimatization programme, preferably on a track you can purple with relative ease.

The thing with this programme is that your "score" (red, green or purple) derives from two facto:

• Positioning. The direction your nose is set to and the latitudinal position of the car relatively to the gate. You won't be getting any purple score if you technically cross the gate, but sideways for instance.
  • Speed. Your speed when crossing the gate relatively to the range the game thinks is ideal for that point.

There are 3 gates per corner: one for corner entry, one for mid corner/apex and one for corner exit. Unless the turn is a mere kink in the track, then it will be a single gate. With this 3-gates approach you're basically being assessed over your whole cornering ability:

• How well you hit your braking zone. Brake too early and your first corner will be green. Hit it too late and you'll be missing the apex, getting a green on the middle gate.
  • How well you settled into the racing line. Fail to correct oversteer or understeer and you'll get green on the middle or end gates.
  • How well you reapplied throttle. Fail to accelerate early on corner exit and you'll probably green the last gate. Accelerate too early and you either green by not crossing it in the right position or red it by going wide. 

This way you have instant feedback on how well you're accelerating with TC off. It will help you get to that edge of grip faster as you'll know when you're being too slow (great positioning, hitting the gate right in the middle, but greening it for not carrying the proper speed) or too fast (oh, ain't that my rear end spinning?).   

Try decreasing the AI level a bit, just a bit, to get a more lenient criteria and see if it helps.

The Track Acclm. programme is helluva underrated.

Edited by marioho
  • Like 1

15 hours ago, marioho said:

@Hichel18 yep and that could have been the best thing I ever did for my driving. Not only for the fun factor but for all the resources it provides.

Rear coming loose on corner exit? A hellish hairpin? Overtaking wide on a turn? Engine braking? These things call all be achieved more competently with manual transmission.

Make sure to turn on the SFX audio beep for upshifting in the audio settings. It is very helpful at the beginning.

Edit: Maybe should make a double post here but I'm not a fan.

@Hichel18 @TylerRunsThis should have mentioned too that a good tip to get used to the no-assists drive is to start the Track Acclimatization programme, preferably on a track you can purple with relative ease.

The thing with this programme is that your "score" (red, green or purple) derives from two facto:

• Positioning. The direction your nose is set to and the latitudinal position of the car relatively to the gate. You won't be getting any purple score if you technically cross the gate, but sideways for instance.
  • Speed. Your speed when crossing the gate relatively to the range the game thinks is ideal for that point.

There are 3 gates per corner: one for corner entry, one for mid corner/apex and one for corner exit. Unless the turn is a mere kink in the track, then it will be a single gate. With this 3-gates approach you're basically being assessed over your whole cornering ability:

• How well you hit your braking zone. Brake too early and your first corner will be green. Hit it too late and you'll be missing the apex, getting a green on the middle gate.
  • How well you settled into the racing line. Fail to correct oversteer or understeer and you'll get green on the middle or end gates.
  • How well you reapplied throttle. Fail to accelerate early on corner exit and you'll probably green the last gate. Accelerate too early and you either green by not crossing it in the right position or red it by going wide. 

This way you have instant feedback on how well you're accelerating with TC off. It will help you get to that edge of grip faster as you'll know when you're being too slow (great positioning, hitting the gate right in the middle, but greening it for not carrying the proper speed) or too fast (oh, ain't that my rear end spinning?).   

Try decreasing the AI level a bit, just a bit, to get a more lenient criteria and see if it helps.

The Track Acclm. programme is helluva underrated.

Excellent info dude I will try this out today! You have been a big help 🙌🏻

• Thanks 1

I won’t lie I kinda pulled a noob move and turned flashbacks on because I still have a tendency to spin every few laps but it takes the fun out of the game imo so I’m going to turn it back off. 

Mario's tips are great 🙂 

I'll pop this in here too since people seem to like it:

And here's an alternative from F1 2019 (same concepts apply, but more learning resources is normally a good thing):

• Like 1

Before I moved to a wheel, I found turning the throttle linearity up to 50-70 (depending on preference) really helped me be smooth with the triggers.

Also applied this to the brake too.

1 minute ago, Worthingtonio said:

Before I moved to a wheel, I found turning the throttle linearity up to 50-70 (depending on preference) really helped me be smooth with the triggers.

I recommend this to all pad players, it helps a lot.

You can turn them down as your skills improve 🙂 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Worthingtonio said:

Excuse my noobiness (that a word?) but what exactly does that do?

2 minutes ago, TylerRunsThis said:

Excuse my noobiness (that a word?) but what exactly does that do?

Hey, no worries haha. 

I believe it makes the initial input of the trigger less sensitive, meaning that you’re less likely to put too much throttle on too early and spin out. 

39 minutes ago, Worthingtonio said:

Hey, no worries haha. 

I believe it makes the initial input of the trigger less sensitive, meaning that you’re less likely to put too much throttle on too early and spin out. 

Ohhh okay that should help a lot then I just put mine on about 52. 

1 hour ago, PJTierney said:

Mario's tips are great 🙂 

I'll pop this in here too since people seem to like it:

And here's an alternative from F1 2019 (same concepts apply, but more learning resources is normally a good thing):

Great video btw!

What as helped me also with this is bumping up my steering linearity. At first until I got a good feel for it I went up as much as 5 but gradually being able to tone it down to 3 and tend to use 1-2 for tracks like monaco were you need more snappy steering inputs. It has helped me with more stability out of slow corners due to not having such twitchy inputs in my steering. 

I wouldn't recommend going much higher with this setting as it does make your steering more dull at times when you need turn in. My throttle linearity is between 25-35 depending on which track.

Hope this helps @TylerRunsThis