F1 2020 |NEW PATCH AND DRIVER RATINGS | READ ME!!! Read more... ×

Driving into/out of the box (manually)

First of all: Is there no official readable documentation of code masters for their games?

I am asked to not use the 'box assistent'. So what I need to know is how to do this manually.

Is there a button for keeping the box speed limit, which I have to press after (or better already before) passing the pit marker? Is there a default? Has it to be pressed once, or like in the F1 permanently?

Anything to do when reaching the box? Guess no. Just releasing the 'speed limit button'.

But when Jeff says "Now start, start ..", what to press initially? At next I think again speed limiter until the pit ending line, right?

Posted (edited)

Is there a button for keeping the box speed limit, which I have to press after (or better already before) passing the pit marker? Is there a default? Has it to be pressed once, or like in the F1 permanently?

Yep, there is a button to restrict your speed to that of the Pit Lane. For us pad users it's the Triangle/Y button and you can activate it as soon as you diverge off the track and steer into the pit lane, though it is not advantageous to activate it this soon on a race. Most drivers will go balls out until they near the pit lane entrance, brake hard and then either activate it to have the peace of mind when reapplying the throttle or time the braking just right so that you come within the speed limit as you're about to enter the lane proper.

You know this already but real F1 wheels have them too and they're designated either as PL or P. And they cute:

Sauber-C33-steering-wheel.jpg

It is a speed limiter though, not a brake button. When you press it your throttle input will be cut whenever the system detects you're about to speed over the limit, just it.

Anything to do when reaching the box? Guess no. Just releasing the 'speed limit button'.

When you cross the line IIRC it is all automatic, no need to fuss with the button. the game will autopilot for you until you get to your box.

Then it is launch time. Much like a race start. Engage the clutch and rev the engine to the proper range. When you get the green signal, release the clutch. and go on your merry way.

Speaking of it..

But when Jeff says "Now start, start ..", what to press initially? At next I think again speed limiter until the pit ending line, right?

Jeff is an anxious legitimate son and he's saying that probably because you held on to the clutch a couple tenths of a second too long. Fearing you may be dozing on the wheel, he'll buzz your ears with messages like that.

When you leave the box you'll be on autopilot again. Pay attention to the Pit Limiter indicator on the bottom right corner of the HUD though. Once you reach the end of the lane you'll get a prompt to disengage the Pit Limiter by pressing Triangle again. If you don't you'll be on the 60/80 kph limit until the end of the white line I guess.  

Edited by marioho

Hey guys,

thanks for the update, I just tested it out by driving several times the Silverstone-Short race, going into the box every lap.

To be honest, I don't like it manually. It is so hard not to lose time by not beeing slower than necessary on one hand, and not getting penaltiy for beeing too fast on the other hand.

Unless you are very very experienced and know exactly where the start of the pit lane is (where the speed counts) is, this is very hard.

The speed limiter has to be pressed only once, not permanently, which I think is a difference to real F1.

To start from standing you have to press the green 'A' like at race start. Good, that is familiar.

At the end of the pit, the 'LB' has to be pressed, which is kind of weirrd, but anyway. Also the exit is dangerous because you have to care about the while line!

I know, that I will make so many mistakes with this (getting penalties because too fast, wheelspinning at box exit and hitting walls, crossing the white line, etc.).

Why are you asked to do that?

I want to race in some kind of a league, and their rule is to have this off. Maybe I have to look for a more dummy league:-)

Posted (edited)

By the way, one more small question:

Assuming Jeff is telling me, that there is an alternative strategy, and ask me if I want to go for it. And I did not answer (because I sofar did understand how).

If I am driving the next possible time into the box, are then the tyres changed according the the alternative strategy or not?

Edited by vTeritron

15 minutes ago, vTeritron said:

Assuming Jeff is telling me, that there is an alternative strategy, and ask me if I want to go for it. And I did not answer (because I sofar did understand how).

If I am driving the next possible time into the box, are then the tyres changed according the the alternative strategy or not?

If you confirm his request, you change strategy.

If you ignore him, you keep your current one.

To answer him by the way, press the Radio button and then press Right on your preferred choice.

2 hours ago, PJTierney said:

If you confirm his request, you change strategy.

If you ignore him, you keep your current one.

To answer him by the way, press the Radio button and then press Right on your preferred choice.

Or you can speak, assuming you have a mic set up. Makes it much easier, plus you can say "engineer quiet" to shut Jeff up.

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, Ialyrn said:

Or you can speak, assuming you have a mic set up. Makes it much easier, plus you can say "engineer quiet" to shut Jeff up.

I have a mic, maybe I should give that a try. But before speaking I have to press the Radio button, right?

Is there a list of voice commands that I can ask to Jeff?

27 minutes ago, vTeritron said:

I have a mic, maybe I should give that a try. But before speaking I have to press the Radio button, right?

Is there a list of voice commands that I can ask to Jeff?

If you press the Radio button you'll see a bunch of phrases, try those to begin with 🙂 

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, martbloke said:

Oh I wish I could talk to Jeff again but with the Xbox One X and no Kinect, this I cannot do 😪

Doesnt it work with a headset plugged into the controller?

1 hour ago, Ialyrn said:

Doesnt it work with a headset plugged into the controller?

No their Cortana voice thing is not supported for this functionality in games. It was only through the Kinect you could do this unfortunately.

Thanks guy, asking something with the mic did worked quite well. After some time, while I tested it intensively, Jeff quited answering. Then it started working again after a while.

On 7/30/2020 at 8:27 PM, vTeritron said:

Pay attention with this one though. Often he will say there is an alternative strategy and you get the chance to review the current and new strategy (if there isn't the bug or whatever that shows a completely empty new strategy). But sometimes he will say that they are changing your strategy. In which case you have no choice in the matter and have to change the tyre selection back manually and remember to come in at the original pit time.