F1 2021 | Arrives July 16 | First Look Here Read more... ×

Bahrain T2 - losing so much time!!

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=W_094kja4Qo

Hey everyone,

I have attached a short clip of a corner I am really struggling with on Bahrain.

Any tips would be greatly appreciated, thank you!

The suggested racing line is really only a base line to learn from, it's by no means the fastest.

Also it looks like you're running traction control, which probably bogs down your acceleration.

Appreciate the comments.

I'm losing time to people who have auto everything so not sure it's traction control?

I'll try racing without the racing line though and see if it helps

2 minutes ago, HybridGamer1878 said:

Appreciate the comments.

I'm losing time to people who have auto everything so not sure it's traction control?

I'll try racing without the racing line though and see if it helps

Get your wheels on the curb and take a straighter line. Medium traction control.

7 minutes ago, HybridGamer1878 said:

The inside curb yeah?

What will difference be with medium traction control? Do I need to be more careful when accelerating?

This game allows you to brake at 100% effectiveness on top of kerbs (well, most of them), so you essentially have to place most of your car outside the track as you approach the corner if you want to take it as fast as possible.

I haven't tried full or medium TC, but in general that's how it goes. You have to be more careful, but more importantly, you have to be smoother and more progressive with the throttle. When you go out and give it a go, keep in mind that T2 in Bahrain is one of the trickiest acceleration zones in the calendar without TC. If you can master that, you're good to dump the TC assists.

Edited by janbonator

Not sure I have the throttle control with a controller - would probably be able to try that with a wheel and pedals.

Had a couple of tries and kept losing the back end - eventually tapped a curb on the high speed left and right and totalled the car. Not looking good for using medium TC haha.

I would try to go over the kerb as much as possible.

At 11 seconds - there is a dip in engine sound. Not sure if that's TC? It doesn't sound like the car is able to give its full power. 

Yeah, I noticed that as well. I tried shortshifting to fix the problem but it didn't work.

Tried some more with the medium TC though and it's for sure faster. Already taken .5 of my best ever time. I didn't realise how much quicker it makes you, assuming no traction is even quicker?

If you turn TC right off you'll probably find it tough to complete a lap without spinning off, so not faster in the short term 🙂. (I decided to learn manual gears before going to full TC off, so I have the option to short-shift when helpful.)

This may help re. your Bahrain time:

I've been using that and another hotlap as well - the problem though is that they drive fully manual and so some of the things they do don't apply.

I also drive using manual gears, have never drove automatic. But I usually keep all of the other assists (except for braking) on.

Will keep working on this medium TC and then go for it fully off

3 minutes ago, HybridGamer1878 said:

I've been using that and another hotlap as well - the problem though is that they drive fully manual and so some of the things they do don't apply.

I also drive using manual gears, have never drove automatic. But I usually keep all of the other assists (except for braking) on.

If you're using manual gears then you should technically be able to get pretty close to what's in the video I think. Note that trail braking is still beneficial even if using ABS.

(For info. I'm currently using medium TC and ABS but everything else off, including racing line. I'm very much still learning myself, and haven't learnt the Bahrain track yet.)

16 minutes ago, HybridGamer1878 said:

Dump every assist but medium TC. Only use the racing line in practice if you don't know the circuit. Learn to have your own turning and braking points. Since you already use manual gears, it won't be that difficult. A couple of days, a week maybe if you play every day, should do it. Once you're there, turn off TC completely.

3 minutes ago, Nas00 said:

Dump every assist but medium TC. Only use the racing line in practice if you don't know the circuit. Learn to have your own turning and braking points. Since you already use manual gears, it won't be that difficult. A couple of days, a week maybe if you play every day, should do it. Once you're there, turn off TC completely.

Aww man, I've tried racing without the racing line and I'm absolutely awful. Really can't seem to get the hang of it.

It's funny as well, F1 is the only game I use a racing line on. I've played GT since the beginning and have never ever used a racing line on it.

7 minutes ago, HybridGamer1878 said:

Aww man, I've tried racing without the racing line and I'm absolutely awful. Really can't seem to get the hang of it.

It's funny as well, F1 is the only game I use a racing line on. I've played GT since the beginning and have never ever used a racing line on it.

Training.

Accelerate and brake when the wheels are straight. Pay attention to the details of the circuits, billboards, black boxes. shadows, whatever, to find your braking and turning points. Slam the brakes at 100% after a long straight and before a tight corner, and release the pressure gradually. Be gentle on the throttle, especially in the 1-3 gears (short shifting helps there). until you feel you have enough grip. After a while, everything will make sense.

Edited by Nas00

2 hours ago, HybridGamer1878 said:

Not sure I have the throttle control with a controller - would probably be able to try that with a wheel and pedals.

Had a couple of tries and kept losing the back end - eventually tapped a curb on the high speed left and right and totalled the car. Not looking good for using medium TC haha.

Just yesterday we had a discussion here about going TC off with a controller. Don't fret, it is doable. But you'll need to reconsider this "couple of tries" hahaha

They're more on the "couple of hours throughout two days" ballpark.

Regarding your clip, you're doing text book braking there. I mean, doing the full braking on the straight and releasing the input completely before attacking the corner. That, and braking too much: you're accelerating even before hitting the apex of T1. 

I may be wrong here but given the layout it may be more beneficial if you did trail braking on T1 and carried a little bit more of speed into it and T2. That sinuous line the game is suggesting for you is accounting exactly for that, the car carrying so much speed that he will go a bit wide when hitting the first apex.

8 hours ago, marioho said:

Just yesterday we had a discussion here about going TC off with a controller. Don't fret, it is doable. But you'll need to reconsider this "couple of tries" hahaha

They're more on the "couple of hours throughout two days" ballpark.

Regarding your clip, you're doing text book braking there. I mean, doing the full braking on the straight and releasing the input completely before attacking the corner. That, and braking too much: you're accelerating even before hitting the apex of T1. 

I may be wrong here but given the layout it may be more beneficial if you did trail braking on T1 and carried a little bit more of speed into it and T2. That sinuous line the game is suggesting for you is accounting exactly for that, the car carrying so much speed that he will go a bit wide when hitting the first apex.

Yeah I'm persisting with the medium TC and getting the hang of it; already improved my Bahrain time by .9.

I thought 'text book's braking was a good thing until you said I was braking too much? Also, I keep seeing the word 'Apex' a lot and I'm not sure what that means; is it basically the middle of the corner (the part where you stop braking and start accelerating?)

Medium Traction control or full appears to be used here. Either one of these assists decreases your acceleration out of slow and medium speed corners. However, I believe that the problem relies on the timing of the throttle and steering wheel you apply at turn 1.  The entry line is excellent, and that is the optimum line. Slow down to the apex, and take a tighter exit out of turn 1, and wait for the car to be straightened rather than planting the throttle too early. 

Instead of: Early throttle, high input steering into turn 2, thereby compromising the exit of turn 2, which leads to loss of time down the short straight into turn 4. Try taking a late throttle inputh with a tighter line into turn 1. You can use Leclerc’s pole lap and Bottas’ lap as a guide:

@HybridGamer1878 Chain Bear has got you covered. You should take a look as it's one of those ABC concepts in motorsports.

But basically, when you make a corner there will be a point on it where you will be closer to the inside edge of the track. That's the apex.

Ideally, to take the corner as efficiently and fast as possible, your apex will practically coincide with the edge of the kerbs on the middle point of the corner.

Back to your braking, there's nothing particularly wrong in doing "textbook braking". It is textbook for a reason. It's just that sometimes a given corner or a specific scenario (overtaking or defending) will benefit more if you use a different braking technique. The main one is trail braking.

But seems to me you messed up a little even with the ordinary braking here. You did all the braking, got too slow and then restarted applying throttle before hitting the apex, which basically means you had yet to reach the midway point in the corner and had yet to finish rotating your car but was already back on the accelerator. That disrupts your racing line a lot and slows you down on that mini sector.

My best advice: Don't take the RB but the mercedes. That will help a lot in TT.

Than compare again and use the tips from the other forum members.

7 minutes ago, aartstyle said:

My best advice: Don't take the RB but the mercedes. That will help a lot in TT.

Than compare again and use the tips from the other forum members.

There is a difference?

I noticed all of the top times were done in a Mercedes but I didn't think there would be a difference in car performance for TT?

Appreciate the comments Kris and Mario, will be sure to check those out now.

Edited by HybridGamer1878

10 hours ago, HybridGamer1878 said:

I didn't realise how much quicker it makes you, assuming no traction is even quicker?

Having no TC is quicker when you master it as your fully in control of your acceleration. Most people though only think about "no TC" in terms of immediate acceleration speed out of a corner and how it will gain you time over an assist such as medium TC.

However it also effects your cornering slightly.

I noticed this when i was doing set up work a while ago where i was previously using medium TC and happened to switch to no TC and noticed that the car felt looser despite no other changes.

If cornering too fast using TC or medium TC on a corner that you probably aren't even aware the TC is kicking in, it causes the car to understeer slightly. The result of this is you then end up having to alter the set up to compensate and essentially start building a set up around a traction control setting to achieve the same result.

Or to put it another way, if your a person who likes to load set ups from time trial or copy You tubers set ups, you need to remember that chances are, thoses set ups are run on the "No TC" setting so if you copy it identically, you will be carrying a little more understeer if using any TC setting.

We aren't talking about huge amounts of time but the tenths add up across a race/lap.

10 minutes ago, HybridGamer1878 said:

There is a difference?

I noticed all of the top times were done in a Mercedes but I didn't think there would be a difference in car performance for TT?

Appreciate the comments Kris and Mario, will be sure to check those out now.

Yes there is a difference in TT.