F1 2020 | PITCOINS NOW ASSIGNED - ONLINE SERVICES BACK ONLINE| READ ME!!! Read more... ×

Whos fault is this at Spa ? ( discussion )

100% on the race leader. If he wanted to block he should have done so quickly, not squeeze the guy into the wall.

Regardless, continuing to squeeze was always going to lead to a crash. Self preservation should have made him block the inside, not the outside.  More baffling is that if he'd just let him pass he'd have a straight coming up to retake the position safely.

Bone headed move.

• Agree 2

Definitely Andymc83.

Some asshat did that to me in real life, and i can tell you it wasnt fun on the journey to the tyre barrier....

• Sad 1

I'm in doubt. Driver two saw a gap where there wasn't one. Should have slowed down? #UnpopularOpinion

It really depends on what I am actual looking at. Is this just some random players in one lobby or is this a highly regulated sim race and it's all about the points and prestige?

On exit, driver on the left had advantage, but driver on the right accelerated better and got the overlap. At that point he had right to space and other driver must have been aware of him (unless he is "ultra realism" player, so he isn't using arrows to show cars near him). At that point and looking more closely driver on the left moved a bit to the right just before the wall, which for me it is 100% on him in that case. But I would need his point of view to be sure.

On the other hand, if I was in position of driver on the right and knowing the track ahead I would slot behind other guy and finish the move at Les Combes.

• Agree 1

@dshepsman how do one go about being friends with you in real life? I'd trade a month's worth of beer & chat with my chaps for tagging along with you.

And you can't leave us hanging on this, mate. What happened afterwards? Did you or anyone else confront that menopausal baboon later?

@dshepsman  Good god.  Did he get out of the pitlane with all four limbs or were you forced to pluck them off like a daddy long legs?

What did the stewards have to say about that one?

22 hours ago, janbonator said:

Yes absolutely. I blame the leader for causing the collision, but I think the trailing car was also responsible for ending up in the wall. Sometimes it's just better to yield even if the other car is breaking the rules by forcing you to do so. Take Kimi-Max from some years ago on the Kemmel straight. Though not identical they had some similarities. If Kimi hadn't backed off they would've both ended up crashing at 300 km/h+. I'm sure looking back at it now, Ocon will also think he should've yielded against Perez that time, even if the collision was Perez's fault.

Look at Rosberg and Hamilton, at Spa.  Hamilton went into the gap that Rosberg left, Rosberg squeezed him off the track, they both ended up having an early shower.

3 hours ago, dshepsman said:

Definitely Andymc83.

Some asshat did that to me in real life, and i can tell you it wasnt fun on the journey to the tyre barrier....

Well, if that wasn't deliberate I don't know what is. Someone doing that in our series would have gotten a ban for life.

Posted (edited)

So I took that video to the stewards. He claimed he had taken the same line every lap, and he never touched me....

He got mad when he got a telling off, never signed the stewards report so he couldn’t renew his licence. I think he got fined as well. He was fairly old anyway but he should have known better. 
What made it worse was that was lap 3 of a 60 min race. And that was for 21st position. I hate Croft... 

I had loads of people wanting to know his name, and said they would refuse him racing in their series in future. 

Edited by dshepsman
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, dshepsman said:

I had loads of people wanting to know his name, and said they would refuse him racing in their series in future. 

Well, color me surprised. And did you two get face to face after the incident? Was he confrontational? 

That's an old man backyards rooster if I've ever seen one.  

Haha I also love the fact that you are pretty chill on Youtube, with hundreds of views on your videos. Except for this one. This one is almost four hundred thousand views.

7 hours ago, marioho said:

Well, color me surprised. And did you two get face to face after the incident? Was he confrontational? 

So apparently during the red flag, and while I was still in the ambulance getting checked over, he was storming up and down the pit lane, furious. 
After he stormed out of the stewards meeting, I was sitting outside, waiting to go in. He pointed and shouted something at me - can’t remember exactly what though. Maybe called me a ****? 
I was still furious, and in shock so didn’t really respond. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Gallearsc said:

Definitely points on license🤣

I think he did get that as well... assuming he had signed the paperwork.

So not only dangerous but belligerent to boot.  That response is shocking.

The kind of person that says “I’ve been driving 40 years and never had an accident”... because they’ve never looked at the carnage they leave behind in their rear view mirror. 

53 minutes ago, JonnyHoonit said:

So not only dangerous but belligerent to boot.  That response is shocking.

The kind of person that says “I’ve been driving 40 years and never had an accident”... because they’ve never looked at the carnage they leave behind in their rear view mirror. 

He definitely had anger issues. All because a rookie in his first race couldn't judge distances and kept nudging him. And so he took his anger out on me.

• Thanks 1

Initially I'd have said andy... But (just playing devil's advocate here) what if he couldn't see the other car and he assumed he'd already passed him (0:22 secs - way more than a front wing in front) and moved over to take the racing line through eu rouge? Not an easy part of the track to defend if you don't get the right line through there as you lose so much speed.. Car 2 can clearly see andy tho as he's getting overtaken and maybe should have lifted...? Just a thought. 

It's a bit of a racing incident in my opinion, but certainly more fault lies with Driver 1.

• Driver 1 should have left a car's width the moment Driver 2 got a wheel alongside (ideally, the moment the Proximity arrow turns red).

• Driver 2 should have sensed what was happening and backed out. He had plenty of room behind him and if he didn't scrub off much speed would likely have overtaken on Kemmel Straight.
  • Agree 2

On 7/30/2020 at 8:07 AM, TRJoey said:

I persevered with online until I got a higher safety rating and now I have eeally really good races online . I noticed a big improvement to the racing on a B rating upwards so maybe try that . Just drive at the back of the grid alone for a few races so your rating improves or let the a.i race for u  

Agreed on this, once you get out of Placement you can have some decent battles if you're high enough.

I'm currently Silver 3, Safety A and last time I played Ranked I enjoyed it.

I would say it's a race incident. Both drivers are to blame. The first driver had all the space on the left to speed up and let the second driver alive. The second driver should have slow done.

It's directly after race start. There are enough laps to go for a battle and mainly Eau Rouge isn't the right place to go side by side. :classic_wink:

That's why i never attack on first laps in a league race. I always wait for the field to get sorted. I made so much points sometimes by defensive driving. If you have a competitive field and you brake your wing in the first rounds, mainly your race is over.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, PJTierney said:

Agreed on this, once you get out of Placement you can have some decent battles if you're high enough.

I'm currently Silver 3, Safety A and last time I played Ranked I enjoyed it.

Same as me those levels . Sometimes I come up against e sport type drivers who win by 12 seconds though 😂

3 hours ago, TRJoey said:

Same as me those levels . Sometimes I come up against e sport type drivers who win by 12 seconds though 😂

I had some amazing races last night, I'm Silver 3, Safety S now, sometimes being side-by-side for half a lap.

People even giving places back after unfair overtakes 🙂 

On 8/1/2020 at 11:27 AM, PJTierney said:

I had some amazing races last night, I'm Silver 3, Safety S now, sometimes being side-by-side for half a lap.

People even giving places back after unfair overtakes 🙂 

Thats mad