F1 2020 | PODIUM PASS SERIES 2 NOW LIVE| READ ME!!! Read more... ×
F1 2020 | CODEMASTERS PC FORUM CHAMPIONSHIP | LOOKING FOR DRIVERS Read more... ×

Whos fault is this at Spa ? ( discussion )

Can we please clear this up guys . I think the car in the lead at the time squeezed the poor car into the wall . Others are saying he should of backed out . Can I have you opinion thanks guys . 

Andy was at fault because the other car was half alongside him meaning Andy must give a car width for the other car

• Agree 2

There's no question here. Andy's fault.

• Agree 2

That's Perez-Ocon! I think the leading car was naughty, but it doesn't mean the trailing driver shouldn't take a look into a mirror. His front wheel was level with Andy's rear, and seeing the gap disappearing he should have backed out ten times out of ten. What's the point of crashing out after one corner just because you were right?

• Agree 2
  • Disagree 1

Agreed, andymc83 at fault - he deliberately squeezed the AI car into the wall, didn't leave a car's width of room.  When Schumacher tried the same thing on Barrichello, he at least left a car's width plus a few inches - and Barrichello didn't back out either.

• Agree 3

1 minute ago, janbonator said:

That's Perez-Ocon! I think the leading car was naughty, but it doesn't mean the trailing driver shouldn't take a look into a mirror. His front wheel was level with Andy's rear, and seeing the gap disappearing he should have backed out ten times out of ten. What's the point of crashing out after one corner just because you were right?

That trailing driver named TyOfHazard seems to be an AI car.  Interesting that the AI is more aggressive this year and doesn't always yield when bullied 😉

2 minutes ago, Flash42G said:

That trailing driver named TyOfHazard seems to be an AI car.  Interesting that the AI is more aggressive this year and doesn't always yield when bullied 😉

Haha, I watched the video several times and the key moments frame-by-frame, but I never noticed it was an AI car. Well, both drove just like the majority of people in online lobbies, so I don't think it makes much of difference really.

Just now, janbonator said:

Haha, I watched the video several times and the key moments frame-by-frame, but I never noticed it was an AI car. Well, both drove just like the majority of people in online lobbies, so I don't think it makes much of difference really.

Lol it wasn't a A.I . It was a human driving.  Poor lad nearly lost his life 🤣

Just now, TRJoey said:

Okay now I am properly confused. At first I didn't think it was an AI car because there was no "AI" text on him. Then somebody said it was an AI car, so I took another look, and saw that one of the drivers up front had a connection bar and the other didn't, so I figured that's what gives it away now.

• Agree 1

5 minutes ago, Mattitudey2j said:

Andy. Squeezed him into the wall.

Totally agree. The lad up front ( Andy ) is adamant the car behind should of backed out but I disagree totally 

23 minutes ago, janbonator said:

But as f1 racing u expect a cars width when your at the side of the other driver , especially when your wheel is in front of the rear of the leader . I blame the leader 100%

1 minute ago, TRJoey said:

But as f1 racing u expect a cars width when your at the side of the other driver , especially when your wheel is in front of the rear of the leader . I blame the leader 100%

Yes absolutely. I blame the leader for causing the collision, but I think the trailing car was also responsible for ending up in the wall. Sometimes it's just better to yield even if the other car is breaking the rules by forcing you to do so. Take Kimi-Max from some years ago on the Kemmel straight. Though not identical they had some similarities. If Kimi hadn't backed off they would've both ended up crashing at 300 km/h+. I'm sure looking back at it now, Ocon will also think he should've yielded against Perez that time, even if the collision was Perez's fault.

• Agree 1

23 minutes ago, TRJoey said:

Sorry, my fault - I froze the video to write down the names, and at 0:03 in (with one red light lit), the video has an AI behind the name.  It must have just blipped out for a second.

• Haha 1

Posted (edited)
3 minutes ago, janbonator said:

Yes absolutely. I blame the leader for causing the collision, but I think the trailing car was also responsible for ending up in the wall. Sometimes it's just better to yield even if the other car is breaking the rules by forcing you to do so. Take Kimi-Max from some years ago on the Kemmel straight. Though not identical they had some similarities. If Kimi hadn't backed off they would've both ended up crashing at 300 km/h+. I'm sure looking back at it now, Ocon will also think he should've yielded against Perez that time, even if the collision was Perez's fault.

I think when cars are going so fast you don't expect another to come across and put you into the wall . The second car was committed and there was alot of track for Andy to have but he chooses to squeeze . I agree if you see a accident happening to back out but it was so quick and at the end of the day the leader gave him no choice with the wall at spa cutting him off . I think Andy mc would be banned for half a season if that was real life 🤣

Edited by TRJoey
spelling

1 hour ago, SomaticCoast375 said:

Andy was at fault because the other car was half alongside him meaning Andy must give a car width for the other car

Thats what i think . Its the rules isnt it 

I got to say driver 2 was not even half a car length next to driver 1 when driver 1 moved over.  I would say driver two should of backed out as driver 1 was getting on the racing line to make the turn and beat driver on the drag race to the corner.

• Disagree 3

I'm not convinced either come out of that smelling of roses.

Simple fact is both could have made that incident avoidable.

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, TRJoey said:

Totally agree. The lad up front ( Andy ) is adamant the car behind should of backed out but I disagree totally 

You have to leave a car width unless you are ahead going into a corner. That happened on a straight and Andy pretty much ran him off the road. He needs to read up on the rules.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

The rules on overtaking were never clearly written in FIA regulations and much of them are more of a "gentleman's agreement" that's been upheld for ages, but seems to me this is not the most complex incident out there.

The cars are alongside each other. Back in the day (2017? 2018?) it was even expressly written in F1's Sporting Regulations, then moved to one of the Appendixes. Whenever the trailing car has a significant part alongside the leading car's rear axle, they're considered alongside each other. and by significant part they were content to accept a mere front wing.

When two cars have any parts alongside each other, each driver must grant at least one car's width of space for the other. The so called racing room.

Even the F1 esports regulations cover it (2.b):

iii. The leading Driver has the right to choose any line so long as not to be considered denying another vehicle adequade Racing Room [...]

iv. Racing Room is considered to be roughly one-car's width measured from outside the white lines defining the track edges. Once a trailing car has its front wheel next to the Driver of the leading vehicle, it is considered that the trailing car has a right to be there, and that the leading Driver must leave the trailing Driver sufficient Racing Room.

Note that FIA was even more generous to the attacker, considering the cars alongside each other just by him having his front wing alongside the defender's car.

So yeah, Andy's at fault in my opinion. 

• Thanks 1
  • Agree 2

Driver on the left by far.  He purposely squeezed him into the wall. 

To me, it's a textbook definition of why I hate playing online.  Everyone online drives like they think they've got a bumper car, or a nascar.  I get wanting to win and all, but that's lap 1.  That car on the right is entitled to that space.  They're essentially side by side and he gets pushed into the wall.  Ridiculous really.

The worst is when you're closing on someone online, have DRS, and overtake on and the driver in front just starts swerving all over... left, right, left right, it's ridiculous that the system allows it rather than one move only.  I get it's likely not easy to program that as a penalty, but it's just maddening to play online.

Brings me to another point... Podium Pass.  The collection that rewards the Chrome livery has a section of challenges to complete online.  Which sucks for those of us who dont/wont play online.  No way of getting that car livery if you're me; and that sucks.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

8 hours ago, marioho said:

The rules on overtaking were never clearly written in FIA regulations and much of them are more of a "gentleman's agreement" that's been upheld for ages, but seems to me this is not the most complex incident out there.

The cars are alongside each other. Back in the day (2017? 2018?) it was even expressly written in F1's Sporting Regulations, then moved to one of the Appendixes. Whenever the trailing car has a significant part alongside the leading car's rear axle, they're considered alongside each other. and by significant part they were content to accept a mere front wing.

When two cars have any parts alongside each other, each driver must grant at least one car's width of space for the other. The so called racing room.

Even the F1 esports regulations cover it (2.b):

Note that FIA was even more generous to the attacker, considering the cars alongside each other just by him having his front wing alongside the defender's car.

So yeah, Andy's at fault in my opinion. 

That is a very detailed answer , thankyou it was quite interesting to read pal 

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, petro1319 said:

Driver on the left by far.  He purposely squeezed him into the wall. 

To me, it's a textbook definition of why I hate playing online.  Everyone online drives like they think they've got a bumper car, or a nascar.  I get wanting to win and all, but that's lap 1.  That car on the right is entitled to that space.  They're essentially side by side and he gets pushed into the wall.  Ridiculous really.

The worst is when you're closing on someone online, have DRS, and overtake on and the driver in front just starts swerving all over... left, right, left right, it's ridiculous that the system allows it rather than one move only.  I get it's likely not easy to program that as a penalty, but it's just maddening to play online.

Brings me to another point... Podium Pass.  The collection that rewards the Chrome livery has a section of challenges to complete online.  Which sucks for those of us who dont/wont play online.  No way of getting that car livery if you're me; and that sucks.

I persevered with online until I got a higher safety rating and now I have eeally really good races online . I noticed a big improvement to the racing on a B rating upwards so maybe try that . Just drive at the back of the grid alone for a few races so your rating improves or let the a.i race for u