F1 2020 | PITCOINS NOW ASSIGNED - ONLINE SERVICES BACK ONLINE| READ ME!!! Read more... ×

Is there a way to get race updates on track?

If there's one thing I miss from when the games had race commentary (ah, those were the days) it's having the track positions read out to me while driving, finding out who's leading if I'm not near the front, and various other interesting factoids about the race so far. 

I know I can get a race update from Jeff, but it's just my position, front, behind, and pit stops. I've played around with it but haven't found any way to ask Jeff, who's winning? for example. I know he'll say it every so often, but am I missing something obvious? Or do I need to go out to the pause menu to check the current positions? 

I thought you got all that info from the radio comms but I have only used it to let them know I was putting.

1 minute ago, losbuttcheeks said:

I thought you got all that info from the radio comms but I have only used it to let them know I was putting.

There's 3 pages of radio comms but apparently not one for who's winning.. unless I'm missing something! 

I can find out my team mates position, the fastest lap of the race (but not who did it), my championship position if the race stays as is! But apparently not who's the top 5 for example, or simply who's winning. 

This ties in to poor radio comms and poor audio overall. Miss the good old days where Murray Walker used to read out the positions lol. Looks like we have to wait for a UI mod (F1 tv) style

2 minutes ago, creweutah said:

This ties in to poor radio comms and poor audio overall. Miss the good old days where Murray Walker used to read out the positions lol. Looks like we have to wait for a UI mod (F1 tv) style

*requests team made update* 

... no response.

*requests weather update*

...no response.

*puts fuel mix up to rich*

"TURN THE ENGINE DOWN!!!"

• Haha 3
  • Agree 1

I'll be on the last lap and I'm being told to run a lower fuel mode. Lol I get the Kimi moments when I hear that. "Shut I know what I'm doing"

The full race update I think covers it, saying who's the lead and maybe even the gap to the pack? Don't know, usually I just focus on the who's immediately ahead and immediately behind me part.

That said, it is not a full and insightful report like those of a commentary broadcast. 

Me: Gap to car ahead?

Jeff: Confirmed, we'll fit inters on your next stop.

Me: :classic_blink:

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, DrDraken said:

Me: Gap to car ahead?

Jeff: Confirmed, we'll fit inters on your next stop.

Me: :classic_blink:

Isn't this just art imitating life? I remember not so long ago you used be sat in your car and;

Me: Call Home

Car: Opening sunroof.

Me: No. Call HOME.

Car: Changing channel to Radio 4.

Me: NO. CALL HOME!!!

Car: Seat heating on.

🙄

• Haha 4

4 hours ago, marioho said:

The full race update I think covers it, saying who's the lead and maybe even the gap to the pack? Don't know, usually I just focus on the who's immediately ahead and immediately behind me part.

That said, it is not a full and insightful report like those of a commentary broadcast. 

Thing is it doesn't though, it only gives you your immediate position and who is in front and behind. So many options that it's rather impossible to do without a mic but none to just simply tell us who is winning without having to pause out and check Race Director. 

I genuinely thought I was missing one of the options buried in the menu but it does seem this doesn't exist. 

While we are at it, does anyone know the difference between these commands?

This pairing:

• Engineer quiet
  • Fewer updates

And:

• Engineer talk
  • More updates

And:

• Shut up jeff
  • Leave me alone

8 hours ago, marioho said:

While we are at it, does anyone know the difference between these commands?

This pairing:

• Engineer quiet
  • Fewer updates

And:

• Engineer talk
  • More updates

And:

• Shut up jeff
  • Leave me alone

I think the more and fewer updates are linked to what the type of updates you get from him i.e. everything, only important updates, etc like the option in the settings. The quiet and talk ones may be related to him saying nothing for a period of time maybe. Just guessing here 😉

From what I have experienced, "engineer quiet" pretty much shuts him up until to tell him to talk again with "engineer talk". So thats the one i use. So off putting when about to enter a braking zone and then Jeff tells you something that isnt even important.

1 hour ago, Ialyrn said:

From what I have experienced, "engineer quiet" pretty much shuts him up until to tell him to talk again with "engineer talk". So thats the one i use. So off putting when about to enter a braking zone and then Jeff tells you something that isnt even important.

"The weather looks clear at the moment, no chance of rain"

- While approaching Turn 1 in Bahrain

• Like 1

On 8/1/2020 at 9:48 AM, Ialyrn said:

50 yards from turn 11 in Australia, 4 laps from the end of the race, Jeff: "We have 5 laps of fuel remaining."

• Haha 2