F1 2020 | PITCOINS NOW ASSIGNED - ONLINE SERVICES BACK ONLINE| READ ME!!! Read more... ×

Tyre Temperature

Im currently in Spain, season 2 (playing 100% races on controller with 103 AI) and i have big temperature problems. I´ve had them in season 1 as well but they were manageable. But now even the hard compound is overheating after sector 1. I know on controller it´s a bit harder to manage the temperatur, than on a wheel, but im curious. Do you guys have that problems as well? What can i do better, apart from turning the temperatur simulation off? 

These temperatures doesn´t allow me to take a strategy with soft and sometimes even mediums... 

I remember on 2018 when the feature was introduced, i´ve had so much problems with the ultra and hypersofts even on the supersofts... so i turned it off. 

How do you guys play on a pad? With or without the tyre temperatur simulation? 

I had massive problem with tire overheating on season 1 in Spain.

I manage to get it acceptable by lowering the tire pressure, softer suspension and more camber (less contact patch, so less temperature).

I also play on a pad on 105 difficulty with no assists, and I race on 50% races. So we are in a similar situation. Man... this track, the ai are just nuts in terms of pace and consistency. I am practicing as Bottas in the Mercedes for the real event in My Team. Anyways, I have no problems with tyres overheating. It’s just the ridiculous pace of the ai that I cannot match in terms of consistency. In terms of fastest lap, I can match Hamilton, but I cannot do those laps consistently. The overheating occurs mostly in the first sector and possibly in the final sector as well. I am normally 2-4 tenths off the ai. I am working to get those consistent lap times, because I know I can be with them if I can sort that out. 

Have you tried lowering the tyre pressures? Normally, by turn 4, my left front would be at 102-104 degrees. At turn 4, which is a left turn, expect the car to slightly understeer in those temperatures. However, 102-104 degrees for that corner is a decent temperature to give enough grip to take the corner without any problems, as long as you get a decent line into turn 4. I recommend lowering the tyre pressures, not pressing the brakes fully and to not input maximum steering lock on turn 3. This on the Medium Tyre. On the hard tyre, the temperatures were fine, I have always been, at maximum, 98-99 degrees throughout the stint.

I am not looking forward to Silverstone after seeing the ai...  

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

I have no problems in Spain. This can be due to the assist settings I drive with.

With these assist settings (i use a wheel).....

- ABS On
- Full traction control
- Automatic gear changes
- DRS help
- ERS help

...... I drive the same AI level in Spain as in Australia or Bahrain

Edited by ndrst

Drop tyre pressures to minimum. If your left front is still overheating, lift a little in turns 3 & 8 and be very gentle with the corner entry. If the rears overheat you just need to be more careful on the throttle and make sure you're not locking up the rears under braking, especially if running 50% brake bias.

That's a hard topic to chime in without knowing how you're adjusting your car setup and how are you taking the tyre temp readings.

Setup is important to know so that we can isolate what is tyre wear from tarmac abrasion and what is tyre wear due to temperature degradation. They require different solutions. 

How you're reading your temps is important too because if you do it consistently after say Turn 4 for instance, you'll probably have a tad higher front left tyre temperature that is not exactly representative of how it fared throughout the lap as a whole, since T4 is a tyre demanding right hander right after another demanding one in T3.

It could be a not-intended game balance issue. Could also be a relatively easy fix out there to at least alleviate the problem on your side.  

Thank you! I´m playing without assists and with a setup which i have since 2017...of course i change it a little bit to get an optimum one for each year and season. The only problem i have is the front left one. Even on the hard compound BUT in second season, which means an upgraded engine, aero and chassis. I´ve noticed that in the first season it´s fine but when you start to upgrade your car the temp. sim doesn´t fit any more.

I mean it´s logical, you are faster around a track the more you upgrade your car. But i don´t like Spain and tyre temperature at all. Since 2018 i have a trauma 😄 

I´ve started this race without the tyre temps sim and i can finally can drive the soft compound...I will try it next season again! I hope it works!