F1 2020 | PODIUM PASS SERIES 2 NOW LIVE| READ ME!!! Read more... ×
F1 2020 | CODEMASTERS PC FORUM CHAMPIONSHIP | LOOKING FOR DRIVERS Read more... ×

25% ranked is dead

Posted (edited)

I think title says it all.

Max number of players I've seen this week in 25% ranked was 4.
So what's the point of having it there if 5 lap races are more rewarding?
Shouldn't it be the other way around? 
You invest more time in to the race, you have more chances of getting penalty in one race.
Why the hell are 5 lap ranked even a thing?
they have nothing in common with f1 (apart maybe from quali in monaco).

So yea, DEAD GAME.

Edited by Kicaj928
  • Agree 2
  • Disagree 1

Nobody plays ranked, everyone just does league racing

Theorising a bit here (I'm not a developer, just putting myself in the shoes of a player):

If you're a player looking to get points (which is the purpose of Ranked), wouldn't you want to optimise your potential points gain per hour by having more chances to gain?

From lobby to results, a 5 lap race (+ Qualifying) takes about 15 minutes, so that's 4 chances to increase your Rank in an hour.

A 25% race takes 30-40 minutes by comparison, giving you 1-2 chances per hour to gain points.

That's probably why so many gravitate to 5 lap sprints.

You may get more points for doing a 25% race, I don't know (I am not a developer, and don't speak for them).

Personally, I just want to hop online and have some good clean racing, and I get that in 5 Lap races (my Safety rating is S).

Also (personal opinion), sprint racing's fun.

Longer races are good for strategy but when you want to go all-out, wheel-to-wheel and not worry about strategy, nothing beats 5 Laps.

4 hours ago, PJTierney said:

If you're a player looking to get points (which is the purpose of Ranked), wouldn't you want to optimise your potential points gain per hour by having more chances to gain?

From lobby to results, a 5 lap race (+ Qualifying) takes about 15 minutes, so that's 4 chances to increase your Rank in an hour.

A 25% race takes 30-40 minutes by comparison, giving you 1-2 chances per hour to gain points.

That's probably why so many gravitate to 5 lap sprints.

You may get more points for doing a 25% race, I don't know (I am not a developer, and don't speak for them).

Personally, I just want to hop online and have some good clean racing, and I get that in 5 Lap races (my Safety rating is S).

Also (personal opinion), sprint racing's fun.

Longer races are good for strategy but when you want to go all-out, wheel-to-wheel and not worry about strategy, nothing beats 5 Laps.

So even CM admits that 25% ranked's are ****.
Well nice, thx for answer.

If the game was balanced then some1 at CM would balance the point gains in 25% ranked and 5 lap race. Since thats not the case I assume, that some1 is killing 25% ranked on purpose.

P.S. 25% race tests your concentration, is as much of a push as 5 lap race is, and SINCE YOU INVEST MORE TIME IT SHOULD BE MORE REWARDING.

• Agree 1
  • Disagree 3

There does seem a decent argument for longer, more realistic races to be 'worth' more points to me.

• Agree 4

Forgot to add if some wrecks you in first corner in 5 lap race there is no way of comming back.
25%? pit for hards and push from pit till the end and you can hope for some good place, at least not 100% last.

I would've hoped that a 25% length has more reward points (safatey rating, etc) and such than a 5 lapped carnage.

Disappointed to hear that they are virtually equal.

4 hours ago, Kicaj928 said:

So even CM admits that 25% ranked's are ****.

I am not a developer, I am merely giving the personal opinion/perspective of somebody who plays Ranked casually.

Also, I don't know if you get more points for longer races on Ranked, as I only do 5 Laps myself.

I do not speak for the dev team on this 🙂 

3 hours ago, ragequit1 said:

I would've hoped that a 25% length has more reward points (safatey rating, etc) and such than a 5 lapped carnage.

Disappointed to hear that they are virtually equal.

Nobody is saying that at all, I am merely saying that if I wanted 4 chances to improve my rating instead of one (big) chance, I'd take the 4.

I don't have numbers on how points are calculated, just sharing an opinion 🙂 

Only way to know for sure is to do the research, though bear in mind there are many variables when it comes to Ranked points (number of players in lobby, their skill ratings, your results, their expected results etc.)

Oh I know exactly how online competitive ranked racing works, I am an iRacing old timer. They use the ELO system to award points and ratings based on the length and strength of field.

I tried to research how it works in the F1 games but couldn't find any official statement regarding any of this. A clearance from the dev team would be nice indeed.

• Like 1

They could make the ranks independent. One rank for 5 lap, one for 25%. And change the ranked menu to show your rank in both similar to starcraft or rocket league. See attached. Can also have more xp.

E653AE13-817E-4FFE-9858-E2A48D548AC4.png

It's either because the matchmaking system is poor (which it is) or there aren't enough players looking for 25% races (probably also true). The points are irrelevant for me, just want some clean races which are hard to find in unranked.