F1 2020 Forum Championship SPACES AVAILABLE Read more... ×

What is the benefit of taking part in all Practise sessions?

So I’ve been wondering, I can complete all practise programs usually within 2 of the 3 sessions. I’m on 50% races so I get longer sessions. If I complete all programs, exceeding targets on them all (usually but sometimes quali pace catches me out and I can only reach target). Is there any reason or benefit to even loading the final session or is it fine to skip and Jeff keeps whining at me for skipping them for the sake of it?

I’m currently on season 2 of My Team and of I’m maximising resource points then that’s all I need from the sessions, right?

i wouldn't skip just simulate the practice sessions you don't want to do stops jeff ect moaning. some people use practice as well allot to fine tune already made setups that's what i find i do try in grand prix mode a setup if make maybe 2 different ones then do career mode and see how those setups differ when driving a career mode car. this usually takes sometime and i do the quali and full race fuel with the setups.

• Agree 1

3 hours ago, Nightfire1964 said:

i wouldn't skip just simulate the practice sessions you don't want to do stops jeff ect moaning. some people use practice as well allot to fine tune already made setups that's what i find i do try in grand prix mode a setup if make maybe 2 different ones then do career mode and see how those setups differ when driving a career mode car. this usually takes sometime and i do the quali and full race fuel with the setups.

I just simulated the last session and he still moans, some NPCs will never be happy! I like to do time trial to get a base setup then tune it slightly to the ability of the car which was super important in the first season since it was a bad car but less-so now. Just small tweaks which I do in Practise 1 with the first 4 practise programmes and maybe quali sim just to get the fastest lap for my sponsor. The AI never uses softs in first quali so it’s easy to get in. I just wanted to make sure I didn’t miss any feature of the game and genuinely losing out by not taking part in those practise sessions I have nothing to do in. 

Before F1 2020, your laps in in Practice sessions would give small amounts of R&D Points (I think 10 per Lap up to 10 laps?), So I would put my programmes spread in all the sessions so I could squeeze some more points, I carried this to f1 2020 even though it's not required anymore

I do it simply to get some practice in with the car on that track but also to keep the engine wear relatively similar to the AI. Or right now I do it to get those 100 laps per race weekend goals.

Your participation in practice sessions is factored to both in-game Driver Acclaim and Podium Pass experience, if I'm not mistaken.

• Agree 2

Posted (edited)

Don't simulate them. It can add excessive laps of wear to your engine components.

Edited by USPBauer24

4 hours ago, marioho said:

Your participation in practice sessions is factored to both in-game Driver Acclaim and Podium Pass experience, if I'm not mistaken.

55 minutes ago, USPBauer24 said:

Don't simulate them. It can add excessive laps of wear to your engine components.

I forgot about the wear component when simulating a session. The Driver Acclaim comment is interesting, to cover both then it seems sensible to do one lap in a session where there is nothing left to achieve. Otherwise I’m thinking Jeff wouldn’t keep moaning about non-participation for no reason. 

I finish all programs in 2 sessions then load up the third and ffwd through it. That way, no extra engine wear. I refuse to do any extra laps than absolutely necessary to keep the wear down. Jeff hasn't moaned at me once yet

• Agree 1

7 hours ago, marioho said:

Correct. Skipping practice means you lose out on some driver acclaim. I think it is also lap dependent. The more you do the more acclaim you get, but maybe the cap is still 10 laps? 

3 hours ago, Krakkars said:

I forgot about the wear component when simulating a session. The Driver Acclaim comment is interesting, to cover both then it seems sensible to do one lap in a session where there is nothing left to achieve. Otherwise I’m thinking Jeff wouldn’t keep moaning about non-participation for no reason. 

I would still do laps, just for that wear. I already have an advantage over the AI when it comes to taking grid penalties so at least I can try to keep component wear relatively similar.

This is a little tiny minutely bit burdensome, but it is one thing real F1 teams do: since you're allowed to go back and forth between your allocated parts, you can swap your pristine engine out for a more run down one in whatever FP session you're on just to put out some miles worry free.

Actually, most F1 teams do not go direct from a 60% wear engine to a sparkling new one. Their management is an active one, constantly swapping components so that they have the more capable engine (which sometimes will be the most upgraded one from the factory) for the power-demanding tracks while fitting the relatively more battered ones for slower tracks.