F1 2021 | Arrives July 16 | First Look Here Read more... ×

Item shop is a huge disappointment

2 hours ago, Ultra3142 said:

Opening up the Podium Pass I'll admit I'd not noticed the bit at the top saying 'Series 1 28d' before! This still doesn't give anyone a clue they need to save pitcoins though.

Clarification is always welcome. But, to be fair, you did not have the VIP Podium Pass unlocked from day one. You had to manually use your pitcoins to unlock it, even if said pitcoins came with the special edition bonus, right? I mean, we could all use a little more straightforwardness but given that I had to acquire the Season 1 VIP Podium Pass with pitcoins and that season 2 has a arrival date stamped in several in-game screens, one could only assume they'd have to spend pitcoins to acquire Season 2 VIP too?

6 hours ago, marioho said:

Clarification is always welcome. But, to be fair, you did not have the VIP Podium Pass unlocked from day one. You had to manually use your pitcoins to unlock it, even if said pitcoins came with the special edition bonus, right?

The key difference to me is that the cost was immediately obvious. 

6 hours ago, marioho said:

I mean, we could all use a little more straightforwardness but given that I had to acquire the Season 1 VIP Podium Pass with pitcoins and that season 2 has a arrival date stamped in several in-game screens, one could only assume they'd have to spend pitcoins to acquire Season 2 VIP too?

I took it that we had made a one-off payment for VIP access and I'll bet I'm far from the only one. I do see the logic now though.

My key point though is that if Codemasters genuinely intend people to save coins for the next season pass then there needs to be some indication that this should be done. The current situation is that people earn coins from increasing rank and see a shop where these can be spent. As a result I'd personally be pretty surprised if most people aren't going to end up spending some of the coins that they later end up 'needing' to purchase a Season 2 pass.

I'm not currently particularly interested in new customisation options and am pretty frugal by nature, so I have not spent any coins in the shop. A teenage me would probably have spent them though! I wonder what other posters here have done actually?

1 hour ago, Ultra3142 said:

The key difference to me is that the cost was immediately obvious. 

I took it that we had made a one-off payment for VIP access and I'll bet I'm far from the only one. I do see the logic now though.

My key point though is that if Codemasters genuinely intend people to save coins for the next season pass then there needs to be some indication that this should be done. The current situation is that people earn coins from increasing rank and see a shop where these can be spent. As a result I'd personally be pretty surprised if most people aren't going to end up spending some of the coins that they later end up 'needing' to purchase a Season 2 pass.

I'm not currently particularly interested in new customisation options and am pretty frugal by nature, so I have not spent any coins in the shop. A teenage me would probably have spent them though! I wonder what other posters here have done actually?

I think you're misunderstanding a bit here mate. 

The intention is for as many people as possible to pay real money for the season pass. This is the business model, the point in what they're saying about saving coins to pay for it is that it CAN be done, so they are able to say everything available in game can be unlocked by playing the game, so it's not a predatory microtransaction policy. 

There's nothing much here that's different from what other companies are currently doing, I don't have a huge issue with it personally. 

But it means while Barry may give advise here, they are of course not going to promote the saving of pitcoins in game when obviously you can buy the currency with real cash on the store, which is the preferred method through which CM would like you to obtain them. 

Edited by KNT2011

All I'd ask for is less 'gimmick' liveries and more general livery designs.

The paint splatter livery is fun for multiplayer, but I haven't quite found the perfect livery for my MyTeam mode yet and I'd love to find it in Season 2.

23 minutes ago, KNT2011 said:

I think you're misunderstanding a bit here mate. 

The intention is for as many people as possible to pay real money for the season pass. This is the business model, the point in what they're saying about saving coins to pay for it is that it CAN be done, so they are able to say everything available in game can be unlocked by playing the game, so it's not a predatory microtransaction policy. 

There's nothing much here that's different from what other companies are currently doing, I don't have a huge issue with it personally. 

But it means while Barry may give advise here, they are of course not going to promote the saving of pitcoins in game when obviously you can buy the currency with real cash on the store, which is the preferred method through which CM would like you to obtain them. 

I covered the business model aspect in an earlier post, hence my critical 'if Codemasters genuinely intend...' in my post that you quoted. I'm not misunderstanding.

Edited by Ultra3142
  • Agree 1

There are at least 4 free liveries that were F1 2019 that I would like to see in F1 2020.

Avax-G-Sync, Xenon-Dorsal, Monnaie-Mode, Monnaie-Heritage, and Ovolo-Fluid Dynmaics.

I would use any of those over my current one. I’m happy with my helmet, gloves and suit.

My biggest issue with the shop content is just how really basic and almost cartoon like most of it is. I’d love to see more serious F1 racing focused content then the Scooby Doo/Spongebob kinda stuff we’re seeing. I hate to be too critical but most the stuff looks like it was designed by a child :classic_laugh:

• Agree 8

Agree to a point with the above, but what I will say is that with a little tinkering some cheesy ones can still look great ('stars and stripes' / ember fade examples attached). There's no saving some unfortunately, as either the colours are locked or the design is hideous, Roulette I'm looking at you! 

Screenshot_20200805_211448.jpg

IMG_20200805_210841.png

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Rango said:

Agree to a point with the above, but what I will say is that with a little tinkering some cheesy ones can still look great ('stars and stripes' / ember fade examples attached). There's no saving some unfortunately, as either the colours are locked or the design is hideous, Roulette I'm looking at you! 

Screenshot_20200805_211448.jpg

IMG_20200805_210841.png

Nice job with these, I see you've used the only badge with a nice clean look to it too.. at least IMO. 

It's odd as I think the sponsor badges and designs are actually very good. There's a ton of sponsors in F1 I have no idea who or what it is, and these fit nicely in with those and look realistic. 

But the badges.. very limited, and the same with the liveries for the most part. 

• Thanks 1
  • Agree 1

7 minutes ago, Rango said:

with a little tinkering some cheesy ones can still look great ('stars and stripes' / ember fade examples attached).

I did the Ember Fade in exactly the same colours.  And the Stars and Stripes also looks excellent in black and gold.

• Agree 1

What I will say is the rotation of the items seems a little off. I've been waiting for the fibre optic car livery for a while now (missed it first time round due to no pitcoins) but in that time I've seen the ember fade 3 times! What gives codies?! 

On 8/4/2020 at 3:53 AM, Blent said:

All I'd ask for is less 'gimmick' liveries and more general livery designs.

The paint splatter livery is fun for multiplayer, but I haven't quite found the perfect livery for my MyTeam mode yet and I'd love to find it in Season 2.

Agreed.  The british flag and american flag ones..   Garbage IMO.   Splatter too.    I dont want "arcadey" ones... I want liveries to use that actually look like they belong on an F1 car.

Alot of the others are a huge challenge to use in My Team mode because your sponsors logos show in 2 spots each, but one color for those 2 spots.  Often times though it will look good agains the car color in one spot, but awful in another. Maybe its just how I'm setting my colors, but i find it really frustrating.Wish we could set any color we want to any sponsor location rather than in pairs.

That being said...  I "bought" the one called Arrow from the Item Shop.  it's fantastic IMO.  I make the base color black, and it looks like a matte finish, then the stripes/arrow shows as more a metallic color.  Just looks really sharp in any color combo I've found.  Right now it's black matte and a royal blue in the metallic section. 

There was another that came through the progression through pit pass too, cant remember it's name, but it was used on all my cars until I acquired the arrow one.   Other than that though, the others are pretty...   not good.

Edited by petro1319
  • Agree 2

On 8/4/2020 at 6:45 PM, Theseus said:

My biggest issue with the shop content is just how really basic and almost cartoon like most of it is. I’d love to see more serious F1 racing focused content then the Scooby Doo/Spongebob kinda stuff we’re seeing. I hate to be too critical but most the stuff looks like it was designed by a child :classic_laugh:

Couldn't agree more. Almost feels like Fortnite with an adolescent target audience.

Looks like codemasters have ordered too much of some stock. Its been the same space gloves for the last few days now...😀

• Haha 1

On 8/13/2020 at 3:44 PM, Rango said:

What I will say is the rotation of the items seems a little off. I've been waiting for the fibre optic car livery for a while now (missed it first time round due to no pitcoins) but in that time I've seen the ember fade 3 times! What gives codies?! 

The ember fade livery is/was part of the daily items which seem to rotate through whereas the fibre optic livery was a weekly items. The weekly items font seem to be on a rotation. They appear to be one shot items. It seems probable that if you missed out on it that you may have actually missed out on it entirely

3 hours ago, hippoSURF said:

The ember fade livery is/was part of the daily items which seem to rotate through whereas the fibre optic livery was a weekly items. The weekly items font seem to be on a rotation. They appear to be one shot items. It seems probable that if you missed out on it that you may have actually missed out on it entirely

The really don't have enough liveries to be making them one shot items. I hope this isn't the case or what about players who have only just bought the game?

• Agree 1

On 8/15/2020 at 2:04 AM, KNT2011 said:

The really don't have enough liveries to be making them one shot items. I hope this isn't the case or what about players who have only just bought the game?

I hope it isn't the case as well. The item shop and customization suite in this game are a joke. I can't say whether or not that overall there aren't enough liveries or helmets because there are sure to be more made available in future "seasons" both unlockable through podium pass and the item shop. I don't know if any of the content from "this season" will still be available in the item shop in future "seasons". I will say that thus far we surely haven't been provided with much in the way of helmets liveries and racesuits let alone decent ones. I don't know what to tell people who have only just bought the game or those who are going to purchase it in the future If it is true that they were one-shot items. I guess I'd tell them the same thing as those of us who like myself who didn't purchase(what has literally been the only decent item in the item shop thus far) and that's "live and learn". I know that doesn't provide much solace to anyone including myself. In fact, I don't know much of anything I was merely speculating based on my own observations. What I do know is that I have yet to see anything that was made available as a weekly item turn up in the daily items catalogue. 

While I'm here I'm going to pose a few questions myself.

Why can't we place and scale sponsor logos manually?

Why can't we change the font(style) of the car numbers?

Why can't we change the colour of the car number?

Where are all the helmets from last year(and several years before that)?

Why is everything limited to 3 or 4 colours?

Why is there not a FULL creation suite for helmets/liveries/racesuits that isn't merely a paint by numbers exercise?

Why isn't there a "community creations" or similar option to upload/download/share custom liveries/helmets/racesuits?

I could go on and on but I digress.

I mean there is so much potential for this to be a major aspect of the franchise and it's anemic AF. There was a better creation suite in WWF War Zone(a 1998 Playstation/N64/gameboy wrestling game in case people aren't familiar with it.)

Edited by hippoSURF

5 minutes ago, hippoSURF said:

I hope it isn't the case as well. The item shop and customization suite in this game are a joke. I can't say whether or not that overall there isn't enough liveries or helmets because there are sure to be more made available in future "seasons" both unlockable through podium pass and the item shop. I don't know if any of the content from "this season" will still be available in the item shop in future "seasons". I don't know what to tell people who have only just bought the game or those who are going to purchase it in the future If it is true that they were one-shot items. I guess I'd tell them the same thing as those of us who like myself who didn't purchase(what has literally been the only decent item in the item shop thus far) and that's live and learn. In fact, I don't know much of anything I was merely speculating based on my own observations. What I do know is that I have yet to see anything that was made available as a weekly item turn up in the daily items catalogue. 

While I'm here I'm going to pose a few questions myself.

Why can't we place and scale sponsor logos manually?

Why can't we change the font(style) of the car numbers?

Why can't we change the colour of the car number?

Where are all the helmets from last year(and several years before that)?

Why is everything limited to 3 or 4 colours?

Why is there not a FULL creation suite for helmets/liveries/racesuits that isn't merely a paint by numbers exercise?

Why isn't there a "community creations" or similar option to upload/download/share custom liveries/helmets/racesuits?

I could go on and on but I digress.

I mean there is so much potential for this to be a major aspect of the franchise and it's anemic AF. There was a better creation suite in WWF War Zone(a 1998 Playstation/N64/gameboy wrestling game in case people aren't familiar with it.)

When I can turn on GT Sport and create any livery, helmet and racesuit I choose by placing and sizing shapes, lines, designs and logos in any colour pallet I choose and then share online and download others from a vast catalogue of creations you turn on F1 2020 and it's like I booted up Mario Kart in comparison (no offense to MK maybe it has a wonderful creation suite I'm not aware of!).  

5 minutes ago, KNT2011 said:

When I can turn on GT Sport and create any livery, helmet and racesuit I choose by placing and sizing shapes, lines, designs and logos in any colour pallet I choose and then share online and download others from a vast catalogue of creations you turn on F1 2020 and it's like I booted up Mario Kart in comparison (no offense to MK maybe it has a wonderful creation suite I'm not aware of!).  

I'm with you man. The customization in this game is "customization" in the loosest sense of the world.

In the My team car thread, I posted a line to a gallery of rudimentary(I'm no artist in that regard) car designs I made in NASCAR The Game 2011

https://imgbox.com/gallery/edit/bu6ehx6cBx/zUv5dIjwob8vvukR These were made with the in-game creation suite including the number on the car. I'm particularly proud of the Vans "Off The Wall" car because not only did I make it look like a shoe I built the skateboard logo from shapes and patterns that were decidedly not that of a hybrid skateboard

• Agree 1

3 minutes ago, hippoSURF said:

I'm with you man. The customization in this game is "customization" in the loosest sense of the world.

In the My team car thread, I posted a line to a gallery of rudimentary(I'm no artist in that regard) car designs I made in NASCAR The Game 2011

https://imgbox.com/gallery/edit/bu6ehx6cBx/zUv5dIjwob8vvukR These were made with the in-game creation suite including the number on the car. I'm particularly proud of the Vans "Off The Wall" car because not only did I make it look like a shoe I built the skateboard logo from shapes and patterns that were decidedly not that of a hybrid skateboard

I remember those from the thread mate, the Vans one is especially good 👍

It's unfortunately dampened my interest in My Team, the original reason I picked up 2020 much earlier than I was going to, and until certain things are changed I don't see myself going into it as much as I had initially wanted. 

It needs better badges, these are a hangover from the online AVI badges from last year / 2018 and are not as detailed or interesting as the sponsor designs they have, they really need to add more here or let us use some of the sponsor designs which are very good. 

It needs a numerical value for colours to have uniformity across the different areas without a lot of frustration and tedious 'left a bit right a bit' faffing on..

It needs individual colour selection for sponsors as depending on livery you will have have white on black in one space and white on white in another and cannot really do anything about this and it looks poor. 

Tons more liveries and I mean double what is there plus variations on what they do have and ones designed to work with sponsor placements which currently is a real struggle.

Changing font and colour of numbers as you mentioned, I'd also include being able to move it, if possible to fill some of the blank spaces left, especially on the nose. 

Once the bugs are fixed (and they have that awful yellow sponsor on racesuit one right now still as well) it looks like it will be a fun mode but really difficult currently to even get a car design onto the grid that feels like it belongs, and this accepting that some very talented players have made some nice designs they're very happy with and I applaud their creativity and persistence. 

Whenever I see this thread bumped back up the Unread Content list with new posts I can't help but think Codemasters must be delighted by people being so desperate to pay them money that they're frustrated at the shop options :classic_smile:.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, KNT2011 said:

Once the bugs are fixed

Best comment I've ever read, naive at best! Codemasters are certainly not codemasters. 😁