Jump to content
Bug Reporting - PLEASE FOLLOW RULES AND COMPLETE REPORTS Read more... ×
F1 2020 |NEW PATCH AND DRIVER RATINGS | READ ME!!! Read more... ×

Intermittent Audio Issues - laggy, cut in/out, etc.

Recommended Posts

Posted (edited)

I've been suffering with this issue since F1 2019. I now have F1 2020 and the same issue exists.

Randomly throughout menus and races (I could be sitting at the home menu for 30 minutes and have this issue occur), the audio will either disappear for 1 or 2 ms or it will be 'jittery' or 'lag'. This is especially annoying or a problem when it happens mid-corner as it throws off my focus and/or lags the game for a half a millisecond and causes issues mid-corner.

I have two audio devices in my PC:

  • Soundblaster Audigy 5/RX (add-on PCI-e card): Updated to the latest possible drivers from their site
  • Realtek ALC1150 (onboard): Updated to the latest possible drivers from their site
  • I've also updated my GeForce RTX 2070 to the latest drivers.
  • Other things I've tried:
    • Disabling both Steam and Nvidia overlays
    • Editing graphics settings and audio settings in-game

WHY does this happen? I'm a heavy Adobe Premiere Pro editor and it doesn't happen there. I also have Madden 20, TT Isle of Man Ride on the Edge 2, GTA V, etc. installed on this machine and it doesn't happen in any of those games. Ditto for media through Plex or VLC/MPC.

It ONLY happens with CM F1 games.

Someone PLEASE help me fix this once and for all.

Here is a video of the issue. As you can see, it happens twice on the straight and then again at the end, etc.

https://streamable.com/d4vd3o (yes, I'm using a modded skin, no, this was happening even before I learned that 'modding' was a thing in F1 games and yes, it happens even if I re-check my steam files and go back to out of box F1 2020 - my skin has no bearing on the issue)

Edited by FstLaneUkraine

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Using the template:

  1. A detailed description of the issue. Please include any error codes here.
    1. See above video and description
  2. Platform
    1. PC/Steam
  3. What version of the game you are using (Shown on the start screen in the bottom left corner of the screen)
    1. 1.06 but it happened with all versions so far
  4. Game-mode?
    1. All modes. I could be sitting at the main menu and it'll exhibit the issue. It is worse while racing though.
  5. What are your replication numbers? Minimum test attempts are 4. Please also add EXACT replication steps for us to try too.
    1. Not sure I understand the question but it happens ALL THE TIME and EVERY time I boot the game up. No particular steps.
  6. What troubleshooting have you attempted? Please always try to attempt to fix the issue.
    1. See the above description.
  7. What peripherals are you are using (gamepad, wheel make & model etc)
    1. XBox Wireless Controller
  8. Any screenshots or video of the issue? If the video is long, please include a timestamp for when the issue appears.
    1. Please see video in original post. It happens twice on the straight in the beginning of the video.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Doesn't let me open im afraid. Try sending the DXDiag as a .txt file 👍

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Have you made sure that the right one 1 is enabled. Refresh rate? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, BarryBL said:

Have you made sure that the right one 1 is enabled. Refresh rate? 

Apologies Barry...the right one what? Sound card? I've tried both my onboard and my external audio card and both exhibit the same issues in this game as well as F1 2019. These are my current audio and graphics settings:

 

2020-08-03 12_13_22-F1 2020 (DirectX 12).png

2020-08-03 12_13_53-F1 2020 (DirectX 12).png

2020-08-03 12_14_08-F1 2020 (DirectX 12).png

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Could you try your other sound devices & cards to see if the dropout is still there please. Also, this has been sent to one of our devs, and they mentioned that, from your DXDiag, the drivers are out of date.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, BarryBL said:

Could you try your other sound devices & cards to see if the dropout is still there please. Also, this has been sent to one of our devs, and they mentioned that, from your DXDiag, the drivers are out of date.

I have tried every device many times before submitting this request.

As for the drivers, they are the latest available that I could find. If your developer can point me to a location with newer versions, I'll be happy to install them. The drivers I have installed are the latest for the hardware I have from the manufacturers themselves using their installers.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

That's something I find from time to time too and I'm not on PC.

1. A detailed description of the issue. Please include any error codes here.

The audio gets jittery or is cut out for an instant during gameplay or highlights. Never noticed it outside of the track. It affects the engine sound and the audio from Jeff. 

2. Platform

PS4 base model

3. What version of the game you are using (Shown on the start screen in the bottom left corner of the screen)

1.06 but it happened with all versions so far

4. Game-mode?

All that I've tried – My Team and Career. Haven't noticed the issue outside of the track though.

5. What are your replication numbers? Minimum test attempts are 4. Please also add EXACT replication steps for us to try too.

This issue was present on PS4 F1 2019. Never sweated it because although it is annoying, it's not that present to me I always brushed it off as being a performance hiccup on old hardware – like base PS4.

6. What troubleshooting have you attempted? Please always try to attempt to fix the issue.

Sometimes I do a flashback if the issue prevented me from understanding Jeff or if it was so distracting that I fumbled on the track. Sometimes it will still be present on the reloaded flashback state, sometimes it will not be there anymore. Can't assert with certainty but I think if I wait it out a moment before resuming the flashback the audio will be ok.

7.What peripherals are you are using (gamepad, wheel make & model etc)

PS4 dualshock controller.

8. Any screenshots or video of the issue? If the video is long, please include a timestamp for when the issue appears.

I'll go through my saved highlights and see if I notice a faulty one. 

Edited by marioho

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hey @FstLaneUkraine, if you are able to locate your hardware_settings_config.xml file (this should be in the My Games folder, mine is in Documents\My Games\F1 2020\hardwaresettings), open this within an editor and then set the audioUpdateRate to 1. That may resolve your issue. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, RedDevilKT said:

Hey @FstLaneUkraine, if you are able to locate your hardware_settings_config.xml file (this should be in the My Games folder, mine is in Documents\My Games\F1 2020\hardwaresettings), open this within an editor and then set the audioUpdateRate to 1. That may resolve your issue. 

@RedDevilKT, thank you for that suggestion but it is already set to 1 by the looks of it (line #42). Please find attached my file.

hardware_settings_config.txt

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@FstLaneUkraine Have the same effect, usually in the last third of a race (25%) where audio suddenly stutter. It is usually gone after lets say 20 to 30 seconds. I thought it is caused by my bit outdated HW (Realtek HD audio, PC), but as several people report the same issue it seems to be caused by the game. I checked the audioUpdateRate is set to 1. Just my +1 to indicate this is not a specific audio HW or one gamer who experience this.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Glad to hear it's not just me. For what it's worth, I'm a 15 year IT veteran (everything from L1 helpdesk to desktop support to network engineer to now technical architect) so I am very very positive that it's not my hardware. No other game or application has this issue with my hardware (although I do realize my audio hardware no longer is getting new drivers). This is strictly a Codemasters F1 2019/2020 issue (if I owned 2018, I'd try that too but I own that on the XBox not PC).

@RedDevilKT and @BarryBL, when can we expect this to be escalated as an actual bug? Is anyone at CM looking at this as an actual bug and not just a single user issue?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, FstLaneUkraine said:

Glad to hear it's not just me. For what it's worth, I'm a 15 year IT veteran (everything from L1 helpdesk to desktop support to network engineer to now technical architect) so I am very very positive that it's not my hardware. No other game or application has this issue with my hardware (although I do realize my audio hardware no longer is getting new drivers). This is strictly a Codemasters F1 2019/2020 issue (if I owned 2018, I'd try that too but I own that on the XBox not PC).

@RedDevilKT and @BarryBL, when can we expect this to be escalated as an actual bug? Is anyone at CM looking at this as an actual bug and not just a single user issue?

This is similar to the same issue I'm seeing that was reported on 7/6

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, ttunstal said:

This is similar to the same issue I'm seeing that was reported on 7/6

Link your thread here.

Completely slow moving here by CM. I know I've messed this on Steam, Reddit, to them directly and then I found this forum. I'm sure it's been reported to them.

@RedDevilKT & @BarryBL, please advise of next steps. Is any other troubleshooting needed?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Was hoping this would be fixed with 1.07 but, alas, it is still an issue.

Codemasters, where are you? Why did you stop responding?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, steviejay69 said:

Remove any of the ASMedia USB/SATA drivers and let WU/Inbox version install. 

Remove any Intel chipset drivers (although it looks like you are running default Inbox).

Remove the Broadcom ac WiFi device and test over Ethernet.

 

So, my plan was to try each of these 3 suggestions one by one, in order to narrow down which one might be the fix. Turns out, I only needed to do #1. Removing the ASMedia USB/SATA drivers and rebooting my rig has seemed to, at least in my testing, resolve my issue entirely. I no longer have tiny blips of audio in the menu screens and after doing a test Monaco GP race with multiple flashbacks (flashbacks tend to make this issue flare up more often), I didn't get a single stutter or intermittent audio issue. Now that I can enjoy the game again, I will get back into it and will update this thread if the issue comes back (and obviously try the other things you suggested as well).

THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU!

giphy.gif

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
15 minutes ago, FstLaneUkraine said:

So, my plan was to try each of these 3 suggestions one by one, in order to narrow down which one might be the fix. Turns out, I only needed to do #1. Removing the ASMedia USB/SATA drivers and rebooting my rig has seemed to, at least in my testing, resolve my issue entirely. I no longer have tiny blips of audio in the menu screens and after doing a test Monaco GP race with multiple flashbacks (flashbacks tend to make this issue flare up more often), I didn't get a single stutter or intermittent audio issue. Now that I can enjoy the game again, I will get back into it and will update this thread if the issue comes back (and obviously try the other things you suggested as well).

THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU!

giphy.gif

I'm glad you applied the correct methodology. (From your post about being a fellow tech, I kind of knew you would.)

It might look like a scattergun approach, but in each instance it reduces the amount of replies within the same thread. :classic_biggrin:

Edited by steviejay69

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, steviejay69 said:

I'm glad you applied the correct methodology. (From your post about being a fellow tech, I kind of knew you would.)

It might look like a scattergun approach, but in each instance it reduces the amount of replies within the same thread. :classic_biggrin:

🙂

Would have never thought to look at these things but glad to have made progress in my fight against intermittent audio hah. Appreciate it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I ended up having to do #2 and #3 as I had a few more small bits of stutter, etc. but I did a 100% race of Bahrain my MyTeam and didn't have a single issue after that. Also was my first race with my new G920. Wow, love this game.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×