Jump to content
F1 2021 | BETA | Details and how to Apply Here Read more... ×
FORUM MAINTENANCE | 11/05/2021 AM Read more... ×

My Team Car Body Choices

Recommended Posts

It would be nice if CM would allow you to chose your cars body style each season. ie: the different cars have slightly different body designs and eye brows on the nose of the cars like the Alpha, Mercedes etc, also the little stacked vent fin type addons to the top of the halo

Edited by hardbaked
  • Agree 9

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I agree. It would probably require some considerable work though. Maybe something for next season? Be nice if we can change the design of nose / rear wing / side fin independently. Even if it's just a copy of an existing design. Hell if Racing Point are allowed to...

  • Agree 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
48 minutes ago, Rango said:

I agree. It would probably require some considerable work though. Maybe something for next season? Be nice if we can change the design of nose / rear wing / side fin independently. Even if it's just a copy of an existing design. Hell if Racing Point are allowed to...

Exactly, I prepared myself to write how it would be a big problem for CM, because teams don't want to have their nose on car with other name. And then I remembered RP.  :classic_biggrin:

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
38 minutes ago, XanderSJX said:

And then I remembered RP.

Not exactly another team if you're owned by the same owner and everyone calls you "the pink Mercedes" lol.

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So why cant CM make a specific few options for different noses and tail sections that are not true to any real life F1 car so the customization of the my team career car?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, hardbaked said:

So why cant CM make a specific few options for different noses and tail sections that are not true to any real life F1 car so the customization of the my team career car?

It could possibly be down to licensing, could be down to balancing, could even be a case they didnt want to throw in too much customisation just in case there was any issues. Only they could really answer, but those are just a few speculative answers that come to my mind.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The car is designed together with the FIA or something like that. I don't think it is easy to schedule these co-operations. If they make changes, they might be "illegal" changes. The perfectionists amongst us will pull out the regulations and scrutinize every detail till the last nanometer and complain on the forums about it.

I would like to see it though but don't think it is that easy as just do whatever you like. Really hope they get to work together with the FIA on this but it will probably be in 2022 before we see another cooperation like that

  • Agree 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Perhaps have the look of the car change as you add newly designed Aero or Chassis parts. So the look of the car is dynamic and you can differentiate it from other cars on the grid at different stages of development. Would probably be hella hard to code though, would add to immersion though and the feeling of you really developing your car in either My team or Career mode.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Patriot_55 said:

Perhaps have the look of the car change as you add newly designed Aero or Chassis parts. So the look of the car is dynamic and you can differentiate it from other cars on the grid at different stages of development. Would probably be hella hard to code though, would add to immersion though and the feeling of you really developing your car in either My team or Career mode.

This was my thought too. From season 1 to season 3 of being at the bottom of the grid to a WDC there's no changes in the physical appearance of the car at all. That just seems odd. Also, I don't think it'd be that difficult for codies to essentially break apart the car models of previous games and give you the options to piece together sections. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, chrisk88 said:

This was my thought too. From season 1 to season 3 of being at the bottom of the grid to a WDC there's no changes in the physical appearance of the car at all. That just seems odd. Also, I don't think it'd be that difficult for codies to essentially break apart the car models of previous games and give you the options to piece together sections. 

To clarify on this, its unlikely an option to customise parts on the Multiplayer car will ever be possible. The generic car has to be signed off by various stakeholders, and we are locked into the approved design, where there is no performance advantage. Also, changing this, even if it was possible, would compromise other things like liveries for example.

  • Agree 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, BarryBL said:

To clarify on this, its unlikely an option to customise parts on the Multiplayer car will ever be possible. The generic car has to be signed off by various stakeholders, and we are locked into the approved design, where there is no performance advantage. Also, changing this, even if it was possible, would compromise other things like liveries for example.

Interesting, never thought of it from a livery standpoint, but I can totally see how that would pose problems if the car's physical model was to change.  You'd essentially need a new livery for each specific piece of the car that has the possibility of changing, then multiply that by the number of liveries there are.  

Good nugget there.  Many here seem to think you guys should be able to do anything, but never actually think of intricate little details like this.

Can you share who the stakeholders are that would have to sign off on body changes to the "my team" car model?  Just the FIA?  Or was the car model itself actually designed with one of the constructors.   Is the concern that it may have a performance advantage if some team actually tried to replicate it for some reason? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, petro1319 said:

Can you share who the stakeholders are that would have to sign off on body changes to the "my team" car model?  Just the FIA?  Or was the car model itself actually designed with one of the constructors.   Is the concern that it may have a performance advantage if some team actually tried to replicate it for some reason? 

The "my team" car model design was approved by FOM and is the same model used for the multiplayer car. It's often called the FOM car. 

Haha as good as Codemasters asset designers may be I doubt that whatever design they may come up with would be more aerodynamically efficient than those made by the real F1 teams with access to wind tunnels and CFD softwares. My guess is it is more of a "hey, this design is a bit too similar to Team A chassis and as such may be seen as an infringement of their intellectual property rights".

  • Agree 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, marioho said:

The "my team" car model design was approved by FOM and is the same model used for the multiplayer car. It's often called the FOM car. 

Haha as good as Codemasters asset designers may be I doubt that whatever design they may come up with would be more aerodynamically efficient than those made by the real F1 teams with access to wind tunnels and CFD softwares. My guess is it is more of a "hey, this design is a bit too similar to Team A chassis and as such may be seen as an infringement of their intellectual property rights".

Yeah, I thought I remembered reading something about it being developed legitimately, its not just thrown together randomly.  I'd love to see it's wind tunnel stats compared to a real F1 ride since it kind of looks like a tank; or a Ferrari  lol

On the last part, yeah true. I was thinking of it more from the standpoint of they dont want the game's fake car design to actually be something that could help a team, but I suppose it likely is alot simpler than that and it's just about likeness to one of the constructors IP rights as you say.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, petro1319 said:

I was thinking of it more from the standpoint of they dont want the game's fake car design to actually be something that could help a team

You mean a fake front wing or whatever improving a team like Ferrari once you upgrade their original front wing?

Could be also a factor, but I'd guess in a team by team case it would be an issue of getting their approval to slap the likeness of an official car on a chassis design that is not the real one. If I'm known for having minutely engineered and highly performant machines and you use my identifying elements on a design that is subpar, I wouldn't be content.

Even more complicated if the same component design were to be reused on other teams.

This is all guesswork though. 

Edited by marioho

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, marioho said:

You mean a fake front wing or whatever improving a team like Ferrari once you upgrade their original front wing?

Could be also a factor, but I'd guess in a team by team case it would be an issue of getting their approval to slap the likeness of an official car on a chassis design that is not the real one. If I'm known for having minutely engineered and highly performant machines and you use my identifying elements on a design that is subpar, I wouldn't be content.

Even more complicated if the same component design were to be reused on other teams.

This is all guesswork though. 

True.

 

What I really do wish though is we had the option to simply choose one or two body styles.  I really dont care for the multiplayer/career car model.  It just doesn't "look" fast in it's styling.  Sure, it's similar to the Alfa, Haas and Ferrari's in a way, but while those may be fast they just dont look it.  I find the more narrow nose of the Merc, RP, Mclaren, and Renault just look faster.  Again, optics only.   So I do hope down the road we get to pick between this model now, and another narrower concept.  Although I guess it's all out the window when the new car comes anyways.    I just like options.  lol

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The new reg car coming is probably an opportunity to shake things up design wise as it is a robust change in concepts. Hopefully the FOM chassis will go over some revising.

I'd fancy an option or two in design too.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×