Time to Bite the Bullet

1 hour ago, Mintona said:

Is that a Clubsport or CSL Elite wheelbase? Or direct drive?

Details in my signature šŸ˜‰

Ā 

(CSL Elite)

1 hour ago, Rango said:

You will be more limited wheel-wise on Xbox. Especially in this game as it doesn't recognise as many buttons as Project Cars 2 does for example. G920 is a safe bet to start with in my opinion. Only has 2 buttons that don't work, but this may be rectified when the newer version comes out and the game gets an update for it.Ā 

Microsoft mandate how many buttons are allowed to be used on an Xbox, which is why any wheel doesn't have more button functions than a controller.

I think on my Formula v2 I have 3 different ways to press the Right Trigger for example (throttle pedal, RT button, middle switch).

On 8/5/2020 at 1:29 PM, PJTierney said:

Microsoft mandate how many buttons are allowed to be used on anļ»æļ»æļ»æļ»æļ»æļ»æ Xbox, which is why any wheel doesn't have more button functions than a controller.

Except that on Xbox, the G920 RSB (right stick down click) and LSB (left stick down click) buttons don't work in F1 titles and cannot be mapped. If you play on controller however, the right stick and left stick clicks do work and are mappable to any function...Ā 

In other racing titles, like PC2, the RSB and LSB buttons work fine.Ā 

Edited by Rango
Clarity
  • Confused 1

Never going back to Pad (i don't even know how)Ā :classic_biggrin:

Thrustmaster T-GT, Thrustmaster F1 add on rim, Buttkicker and Playseat Challenge here.

Ā 

20200805_131454.jpg

Edited by GioProductions
Picture

2 hours ago, PJTierney said:

Details in my signature šŸ˜‰

Ā 

(CSL Elite)

Iā€™m browsing on my phone and signatures donā€™t appear, apologies. Thanks!

• Like 1

On 8/4/2020 at 9:26 AM, TheJock83 said:

After 2 71 lap races back to back, I'm thinking it may be time to ditch the pad and go with a wheel. So:

Is it worth it?

Reccomendations for a casually serious driver, running 100% races? (XBox One)

**Ah this sucks, I just wrote this all out, not realizing the T300 is not compatible with Xbox. From a quick google search, I'm told the most comparable wheel is the Thustmaster TX but I cant speak from experience....posting anyway***

Ā 

I think it really depends how much you think yourĀ going to use the wheel. If you just want to try it and see what the difference is between that and a pad, and potentially have the budget for a full upgrade in theĀ future, try a cheaper wheel like theĀ Thrustmaster TMX. I've never used one, the pedals look pretty cheap but if you're just trying it out, this is probably yourĀ best option.

The next step up would be the G920, which I personally wouldn't recommend after using it for a few years. I had a wheel before (DFGT) and a wheel after (spoiler alert, T300) and I preferred both of them overĀ the G920 with regards to handling. (I also believe there's some sort issue with the G29 and G920 and this game and although it hasn't been confirmed, I'm not the only one who feels this way. I recommend searching the forum about these wheels before buying). I can speak highly of the pedals however, well if you're willing to put in a little work. The pedals are heavy and have a great feel to them, except for the brake. In order to add resistance to them, they added a rubberĀ pieceĀ inside of the spring. It's unnecessary and makes it harder to get a consistent feel for the pedal IMO. It takes about a half hour to remove the piece, but you'll void any warranty taking it out. As I said though, great pedals otherwise.

And last is what I believe is your best option:Ā The Thrustmaster T300. It's the wheel I just purchased and is by far an upgrade over the G920. The handling is better and theĀ FFB while a little lighter, is quieter, more precise and smooth. It also has a lot more options at purchase which can help keep down costs and allow you to upgrade later. If you buy the base, wheel and pedals separatelyĀ it will giveĀ you the option of starting out closer to the G920 price range but allowing you to upgrade the wheel and pedals at a later date.Ā The biggest downside are the pedals that are likely to come at purchase, unless you split up the bundle. I've never used the stockĀ pedals that come with the basic bundle but the plastic design makes me think they leave a lot to be desired. However, as mentioned, you can upgrade those at a later date and even buy adapters to use different manufacturers pedals if you choose. The Ferrari F1 wheel is also a nice upgrade option, especially if you expect most of your racing to be done in F1 cars.

Again, assuming there is at least flexibility in your budget, my sole consideration would be how confident I am that I'm going to continue to use a wheel. I've seen other posts about giving up on the wheel out of frustration, so that's something to consider. But I can tell you that when I got my first wheel, the pad was never the same and I never used it againĀ if I had the option.

Ā 

Edited by Newtown99
  • Like 1

Yeah that's unfortunate, I did the same search too. G920 (or new G923) seem to be only reasonable option for Xbox users

Shoulda included this bit in my last post. I'd go to a wheel because I can't seem to straighten the cars back out with the controller once I get them cockeyed. Basically, I think I have the cars going straight after correcting either way for the line only to have them drift offline whichever way I corrected.

1 hour ago, Newtown99 said:

The Thrustmaster T300... The biggest downside are the pedals that are likely to come at purchase, unless you split up the bundle. I've never used the stockĀ pedals that come with the basic bundle but the plastic design makes me think they leave a lot to be desired.

This won't help the OP as noted but I just thought I'd mention I'm currently using the stock T300 pedals and I'd still take these with a wheel over a hand controller any day. Literally yesterday I ordered some T3PA Pro pedals to replace them though, which I'm hoping will prove a decent upgradeĀ :classic_smile:.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

24 minutes ago, Ultra3142 said:

This won't help the OP as noted but I just thought I'd mention I'm currently using the stock T300 pedals and I'd still take these with a wheel over a hand controller any day. Literally yesterday I ordered some T3PA Pro pedals to replace them though, which I'm hoping will prove a decent upgradeĀ :classic_smile:.

I'm looking at getting the Fanatec CSL LC pedal set, since I'm on PC.Ā  Eventually I'll be going to a Fanatec rig, and you can use the T300 with the Fanatec pedals on PC, so no sense buying the Thrustmaster pedals.Ā  The price difference is $50 (Canada, where the dollar is worth almost as much as that roll of white stuff hanging in your bathroom).

• Like 2