Jump to content
F1 2020 Forum Championship SPACES AVAILABLE | Season 3 starting 20/11 Read more... ×

Time to Bite the Bullet

Recommended Posts

After 2 71 lap races back to back, I'm thinking it may be time to ditch the pad and go with a wheel. So:

Is it worth it?

Reccomendations for a casually serious driver, running 100% races? (XBox One)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It is worth it. Just be prepared not to do two 100% races in a row. :classic_laugh:

If at all possible you should test several wheels before getting one. There are big differences both in FFB and pedals, and everyone has a different preference.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The big question: What's your budget?

 

My rig (below) is great but it costs as much as a small car, whereas many players are perfectly happy to clamp a Logitech G29 to the desk and leave it at that.

 

PJ Tierney Rig.png

  • Like 6

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ultimately only you can say if it's worth it. 

Personally I never got on with racing games on controllers and just find the wheel and pedal arrangement so much more natural, and of course much more like the real thing. If you can drive a real car I struggle to see how you wouldn't find it better but if by enough to be worth your money is impossible for me to say.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

As far as "worth it" I mean is there a discernable improvement to a players driving using a wheel ie am I going to get that extra 0.5s a lap?

And budget wise, although I doth my cap to the set up pictured here, I'm more talking just a wheel and pedals (for the moment) that I can switch on and go - obviously force feedback is a must.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, TheJock83 said:

As far as "worth it" I mean is there a discernable improvement to a players driving using a wheel ie am I going to get that extra 0.5s a lap?

And budget wise, although I doth my cap to the set up pictured here, I'm more talking just a wheel and pedals (for the moment) that I can switch on and go - obviously force feedback is a must.

Speed for me should not be the main motivation but rather enjoyment of the game should be.

(I'm hugely faster on a wheel but that's because I never got the hang of using a controller. If you're a decent driver on a controller then that's a very different situation.)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Sure it is worthy. It's just a matter of finding the right cost v benefit for you.

On the current landscape I'm aiming for the Logitech G29 for my PS4. Just yesterday Sony confirmed that peripherals like this wheel will be compatible with the PS5 so I'm golden. It's a consumer grade wheel, with all the benefits and demerits of being a mass production unit, but I'd wager that's the right spot for people like you and me unless you have that kind of disposable income to spend on a higher entry in a type of product you're not even positive you'll enjoy.

I don't have any qualms on getting a consumer grade wheel from the likes of Logitech and Thrustmaster. You get simracers stating all the time that though it is much better (fun wise specially) to play on a higher end product, they're not any slower on entry level products. Besides that you can see Lando Norris playing on a G29 from time to time, even having a monstrous rig in his place. Marc "Elvis" Priestley, ex McLaren mechanic turned F1 celebrity and pundit (he's awesome! Go check him on YouTube) plays solely on his G29 and he's said that he loves it. If these guys can put out good lap times and have fun on it, why would I need to step in with an enthusiast product already?

By the way Logitech will announce a new wheel tomorrow. Looks like it will be just a rebrand and unification of their G920 and G29 lines but that's fine, it is already considered the best overall package for newcomers as it is anyway.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, TheJock83 said:

As far as "worth it" I mean is there a discernable improvement to a players driving using a wheel ie am I going to get that extra 0.5s a lap?

And budget wise, although I doth my cap to the set up pictured here, I'm more talking just a wheel and pedals (for the moment) that I can switch on and go - obviously force feedback is a must.

You will not, for a while at least. Every pad player I know who has moved to the wheel has been a few seconds off the pace at the start, and has taken several months to get to their pad-level, if ever.

  • Agree 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, janbonator said:

You will not, for a while at least. Every pad player I know who has moved to the wheel has been a few seconds off the pace at the start, and has taken several months to get to their pad-level, if ever.

That "if ever" is a tiny little cute bit overdramatic haha

There is no way your pace will be the same on day one of using a wheel as it was after you lapped the circumference of the world on a controller. Completely different set of movements, muscle memory... Gosh, let us not even begin. Way too different inputs.

But you'll get there eventually. And you'll have way more fun on the way, playing on a wheel and all. And your potential for quick pace is bound to be better on a wheel as the inputs and the feedback a controller has to offer are fundamentally limited.

Just take your time.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, marioho said:

That "if ever" is a tiny little cute bit overdramatic haha

There is no way your pace will be the same on day one of using a wheel as it was after you lapped the circumference of the world on a controller. Completely different set of movements, muscle memory... Gosh, let us not even begin. Way too different inputs.

But you'll get there eventually. And you'll have way more fun on the way, playing on a wheel and all. And your potential for quick pace is bound to be better on a wheel as the inputs and the feedback a controller has to offer are fundamentally limited.

Just take your time.

It's a bit dramatic, but I was alluding to the fact that several gave up before getting back to their previous speed and sold their gear. Short-sighted, yes, but frustration can be powerful sometimes.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, USPBauer24 said:

Thrustmaster T300 with T3PA Pro pedals and F1 rim. Perfect. 

This ^

Unfortunately, I only have the standard pedals right now, but it's still amazing.

I started with the G25.  Great set, extremely well built, but dated.  Almost all the buttons are on the shifter unit, so it's hard to use for Formula driving.

I then upgraded to a G29.  Beautiful.  Solid build, great pedals.  The FFB is done by helical gears, so the resolution is a bit low so it doesn't give really accurate force feedback.  It's also really loud.  When you hit curbs and the gears start a-clackin, turn up the tv.  😛

Then I found a T300 for a great price and had to jump on it.  The standard rim is excellent, but being able to change it for different types of driving is amazing.  I picked up the F1 rim and absolutely love it.  The Thrustmaster units use dual belts for FFB.  Much quieter and much more accurate.

With that said, if you can afford it, go with a rig like PJTierney has.  Fanatec makes fantastic gear.  But a new T300 is a few hundred dollars.  A new Fanatec wheel base + rim + pedals can cost a few thousand.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

I guess it depends on how much you enjoy driving irl. Personally I love driving any kind of vehicle irl, so using a wheel in a game made a lot of sense for me.

I made the switch to a G29 when Gran Turismo Sport launched a few years back and I have no regrets. I wish I would have done it sooner, I can never go back to playing racing games with a gamepad.

But I wouldn’t splurge on anything too expensive just incase you lose interest. I use my G29 with a wheel stand pro and a Poang chair from Ikea. It’s a good temporary setup if you play in the living room and need to put it away after, but I’m ready for a real rig now like @PJTierney’s.

 

pic

xtV4sr5.jpg

Edited by MikeV27
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I’ve got Thrustmaster t300 and pedals sitting in a GT omega seat and I could never go back to pad Although I can’t do full races like I used to. But I’d definitely say it’s worth it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, janbonator said:

You will not, for a while at least. Every pad player I know who has moved to the wheel has been a few seconds off the pace at the start, and has taken several months to get to their pad-level, if ever.

I also wouldn't say if ever, but it does take a while. Did for me at least. Still trying and I've had my wheel a year lol. What I will say is that now I have a wheel, I can't go back. The enjoyment factor has gone up dramatically and I'm only running a G920. 

I will say though that at the minimum you need something like this (below), depending on the space you have. 

20190423_123556.jpg

  • Agree 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, janbonator said:

You will not, for a while at least. Every pad player I know who has moved to the wheel has been a few seconds off the pace at the start, and has taken several months to get to their pad-level, if ever.

This might interest you:
 

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
58 minutes ago, Matty5792 said:

I’ve got Thrustmaster t300 and pedals sitting in a GT omega seat and I could never go back to pad Although I can’t do full races like I used to. But I’d definitely say it’s worth it.

Full races are reserved for upper body workouts.  😉

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
58 minutes ago, Rango said:

I also wouldn't say if ever, but it does take a while. Did for me at least. Still trying and I've had my wheel a year lol. What I will say is that now I have a wheel, I can't go back. The enjoyment factor has gone up dramatically and I'm only running a G920. 

I will say though that at the minimum you need something like this (below), depending on the space you have. 

20190423_123556.jpg

@CMTGK just got his first rig/wheel, similar setup to this actually.

 

(Fun fact: the rig I posted, that's my first. I jumped in the deep end 😄)

  • Like 1
  • Agree 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Rango said:

What I will say is that now I have a wheel, I can't go back. The enjoyment factor has gone up dramatically and I'm only running a G920.

That's exactly what I was getting at above :classic_smile:.

For what it's worth my 'rig' is a T300RS wheel mounted on a wheel stand pro, which I use sitting on my sofa (with an extra cushion to be more upright) and with my main TV (65"). Playing on PS4.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yes. It's worth it. T300RS, Ferrari F1 rim and Fanatec CSR Elite LC brake pedals.

IMG_20200514_182824_2.thumb.jpg.36a9dbbba1a7d8a1fc7a593092d22d9a.jpg

  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Ultra3142 said:

That's exactly what I was getting at above :classic_smile:.

For what it's worth my 'rig' is a T300RS wheel mounted on a wheel stand pro, which I use sitting on my sofa (with an extra cushion to be more upright) and with my main TV (65"). Playing on PS4.

Pretty much the same, but on xbox and a smaller tv lol. Would love an actual space for it to sit permanently, but this will have to do for now! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I've had the T300RS GT (T3PA pedals) and the F1 rim for a few months now. It's absolutely great and a huge step up from my old cheap wheel and I can really recommend it.

My view is though that the wheel is less important than the pedals. Having good pedals will eventually benefit you more than FFB and lots of buttons on the wheel. This is from my own experience at least coming from an old cheap wheel and pedal setup that was impossible to drive without assists going to a setup that's a dream to drive without assists. So, don't cheap out on the pedals.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
20 hours ago, PJTierney said:

The big question: What's your budget?

 

My rig (below) is great but it costs as much as a small car, whereas many players are perfectly happy to clamp a Logitech G29 to the desk and leave it at that.

 

PJ Tierney Rig.png


Is that a Clubsport or CSL Elite wheelbase? Or direct drive?

Edited by Mintona

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You will be more limited wheel-wise on Xbox. Especially in this game as it doesn't recognise as many buttons as Project Cars 2 does for example. G920 is a safe bet to start with in my opinion. Only has 2 buttons that don't work, but this may be rectified when the newer version comes out and the game gets an update for it. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×