F1 2020 | PODIUM PASS SERIES 2 NOW LIVE| READ ME!!! Read more... ×
F1 2020 | CODEMASTERS PC FORUM CHAMPIONSHIP | LOOKING FOR DRIVERS Read more... ×

2 or 3 stop races again

Why an earth are teams still doing 2 or 3 pitstops in this game in dry races when in real life they avoid the soft like the plague.

In 50% races the non soft starters tend to 1 stop but in full races its always 2 apart from monaco and even then theres a few 2 stoppers.

Its been like this since 2017/8

• Agree 1

But 2-3 stops strategies are still often projected as reasonable by Pirelli.

British GP:

ImageH

Hungarian GP:

Austrian GP:

How this is modeled in the game is another story and one I'm not that confident about chiming in as I only did one 50% my whole life, being a 25% certificated virgin. But to say that in real life they avoid the softer compounds or 2-stops strategies like the plague sounds like a tad hyperbolic to me haha  

In 100% races you can be very well with 2 Stops

in 50% or less the pit stop delta time is to high

It was though safety car was reason 1 stop was iffy at silverstone.

Look at those graphics on non of them is 2 stop quicker so why is 2 stop quicker in game.

13 minutes ago, AdamFreeman said:

It was though safety car was reason 1 stop was iffy at silverstone.

Safety cars decrease tyre wear not increase it?

Yeah but they pitted much earlier as a result of safety car.

Tyres ended up doing 40 laps instead of 32

Im not hating on 2 stops just saying its not accurate.

• Like 3

I think part of it is the projected strategies in game don’t take into account things like traffic, how difficult it is to overtake and how much time it’ll cause you to lose.  In a perfect world a 2-stop may be faster if not for the aforementioned obstacles.  The ai seem to just go with the default pit strategies in my experience.  I’ve had some times where I’ve done the race strategy practice programs on all 3 tire compounds or even just the medium one and when I switch from the projected to personalized strategies it switches from a 2-stop to a 1-stop.  If only the ai could do the same then you’d probably end up with differing strategies.

On the occasion I need to burn all my Mediums to test different tyre setups I end up doing the race strategy on Softs. That's rare, though.

@jrod22145 any noticeable difference when doing the Race Strategy programme with different compounds you could name? And when you go so thoroughly through the Pirelli stock, do you focus the runs on a given practice session or you just follow your heart's desire?

Pirelli need to produce tyres that are not going to explode but at the same time wear at a rate that 2 stops can be a quicker strategy.

AI starts on softs nearly every time, even if they qualified outside the Top10. That leads to them making 2 Stops because they could not finish on medium or hard.

There is no variation. If they start on softs everyone is pitting in the same two laps, no undercuts, no overcuts etc. Exeption beeing the Top10 starters that have to come in 2 Laps earlier because of the used tyres. That leads to them falling back in the field and losing a ton of time :classic_angry:

My usual run plan looks something like this:

FP1:

Track ACC-Hards (First Set)

Tire Wear-Mediums (First Set)

Fuel-Mediums (Same tires as above)

Race Pace-Hards (Same tires as above)

FP2:

Race Pace-Mediums (Second Set)

Qualifying Sim-Softs (First Set)

ERS-Softs (Same tires as above)

FP3:

Race Pace-Softs (Second Set)

Qualifying Sim-Softs (Third Set)

To build my setup I start off in TT to get comfortable with the circuit and form a baseline setup.  Then at the start of FP1 I use the track acclimatization program and the Hard tires to work on tweaking the tire temps (by way of tire pressures), sometimes I may run this program more than once.  Finally I may continue to make tiny tweaks throughout the rest of practice while doing some of the other programs.

• Like 1