Jump to content Jump to content

Logitech G29 forgetting Logitech Ghub settings when switching between game modes (F1 2020 PC)


Recommended Posts

1. The settings for wheel rotation, spring centering etc that are set in Logitech Ghub for the Logitech G29 are "forgotten" by the game when quitting to the main menu, restarting a session, switching game modes etc. The only way that I can get the settings to work is if I quit Ghub and launch it again just before I leave the garage or start the race. I only have one Ghub profile which I set at 360 deg rotation. When the issue occurs, it reverts to 900 rotation. I don't have any profile with 900 deg rotation for my wheel as the default profile I use is the persistant profile

2. PC

3. 1.06 (Latest version of the game available on Steam on 4/8, although was present in earlier versions)

4. All modes

5. I have been able to replicate the issue at will. For example, if I am on the grid at the beginning of the race, I can quit Ghub and then launch again, and the Ghub settings (my settings are 360 deg rotation, 66 sensitivity, 10 spring centring, I have this for default and persistant profile for all games) will be reflected in the game. If I quit to the main menu, move onto the next race, or restart the session, the setting will revert back to the original ghub settings (which isn't my profile) ie. 900 deg rotation. I have not had one case where the game keeps my 360 deg settings between game modes

6. Have reinstalled logitech g-hub but could easily replicate the issue by methods mentioned above. I have also tried creating a profile specific for the game but the same issue occurs

7. N/A

8. See attached

Also noticed something this evening which may be a coincidence. I put my laptop to the TV via HDMI. When the wheel is giving me the force feedback I require, there is a small microstutter, not enough to prevent me from getting in decent lap times (for my level) but noticeable. Sometimes, this microstutter stops and the image is really smooth (like it would be for a ps4), but the handling immediately becomes harder, having to put much more wheel lock in to get round a corner. I had this about 5 times during a race I did this evening in My team and without fail would struggle massively the moment I get a good smooth image. I'm wondering if it could mean that the computer isn't providing the signal to the G29 or vice versa but only speculating.

DxDiag.txt

Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, jameswallace said:

1. The settings for wheel rotation, spring centering etc that are set in Logitech Ghub for the Logitech G29 are "forgotten" by the game when quitting to the main menu, restarting a session, switching game modes etc. The only way that I can get the settings to work is if I quit Ghub and launch it again just before I leave the garage or start the race. I only have one Ghub profile which I set at 360 deg rotation. When the issue occurs, it reverts to 900 rotation. I don't have any profile with 900 deg rotation for my wheel as the default profile I use is the persistant profile

2. PC

3. 1.06 (Latest version of the game available on Steam on 4/8, although was present in earlier versions)

4. All modes

5. I have been able to replicate the issue at will. For example, if I am on the grid at the beginning of the race, I can quit Ghub and then launch again, and the Ghub settings (my settings are 360 deg rotation, 66 sensitivity, 10 spring centring, I have this for default and persistant profile for all games) will be reflected in the game. If I quit to the main menu, move onto the next race, or restart the session, the setting will revert back to the original ghub settings (which isn't my profile) ie. 900 deg rotation. I have not had one case where the game keeps my 360 deg settings between game modes

6. Have reinstalled logitech g-hub but could easily replicate the issue by methods mentioned above. I have also tried creating a profile specific for the game but the same issue occurs

7. N/A

8. See attached

Also noticed something this evening which may be a coincidence. I put my laptop to the TV via HDMI. When the wheel is giving me the force feedback I require, there is a small microstutter, not enough to prevent me from getting in decent lap times (for my level) but noticeable. Sometimes, this microstutter stops and the image is really smooth (like it would be for a ps4), but the handling immediately becomes harder, having to put much more wheel lock in to get round a corner. I had this about 5 times during a race I did this evening in My team and without fail would struggle massively the moment I get a good smooth image. I'm wondering if it could mean that the computer isn't providing the signal to the G29 or vice versa but only speculating.

DxDiag.txt

Try verifying the Steam files, deleting the hardware_settings_config.xml and relaunching.

I had a 'fail' to launch error in-game which was only solved by reinstalling the Fanatec Driver, so maybe as you do this use Geek uninstall to remove GHub (if you had LGS, install and then uninstall with Geek?). Pretty much in my case the update to 1.05 and 1.06 altered the DOR to 900 when the wheel was Auto. I could reset that, but it was annoying (I'm now awaiting the next patch to see if a wheel tune is affected in any way.)

Your machine is pretty much updated, just a query on the Elan Touchpad and unsure of which Bluetooth driver you have

There's an ATI crash in the dxdiag, you could try DDU (drivers seem correct 20.5.1 and 446.14).

Other than that and checking which port you use the G29 in; the port on the left side may be USB 2.0 (referred to as sleep and charge port) but the port on the right next to the USB C is USB 3.0, and eliminate any USB hubs (passive or powered) for troubleshooting purposes.

Good luck. You could file a report on Logitech support if you really want to see what no useful help looks like!

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, steviejay69 said:

Try verifying the Steam files, deleting the hardware_settings_config.xml and relaunching.

I had a 'fail' to launch error in-game which was only solved by reinstalling the Fanatec Driver, so maybe as you do this use Geek uninstall to remove GHub (if you had LGS, install and then uninstall with Geek?). Pretty much in my case the update to 1.05 and 1.06 altered the DOR to 900 when the wheel was Auto. I could reset that, but it was annoying (I'm now awaiting the next patch to see if a wheel tune is affected in any way.)

Your machine is pretty much updated, just a query on the Elan Touchpad and unsure of which Bluetooth driver you have

There's an ATI crash in the dxdiag, you could try DDU (drivers seem correct 20.5.1 and 446.14).

Other than that and checking which port you use the G29 in; the port on the left side may be USB 2.0 (referred to as sleep and charge port) but the port on the right next to the USB C is USB 3.0, and eliminate any USB hubs (passive or powered) for troubleshooting purposes.

Good luck. You could file a report on Logitech support if you really want to see what no useful help looks like!

 

Thanks Stevie, will try this out this evening. Where is that hardware_settings_config.xml file located? I tried to find it yesterday as I saw it mentioned elsewhere but couldn't find it.

To clear up a few loose ends, I have downloaded the drivers from HP this afternoon so Elan Touchpad is on 22.2.18.2 and Bluetooth drivers are Realtek RTL8xxx Bluetooth Driver 1.8.1027.3000 and Intel Bluetooth Driver 21.80.3. I am using the USB port on the left hand side (which doesn't have the charging symbol, so I assume this is USB 3.0) and I don't have any USB hubs. Will try your ghub suggestion for the uninstall and never used LGS software as it was superseeded by Ghub before I started using the wheel.

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
48 minutes ago, jameswallace said:

Thanks Stevie, will try this out this evening. Where is that hardware_settings_config.xml file located? I tried to find it yesterday as I saw it mentioned elsewhere but couldn't find it.

To clear up a few loose ends, I have downloaded the drivers from HP this afternoon so Elan Touchpad is on 22.2.18.2 and Bluetooth drivers are Realtek RTL8xxx Bluetooth Driver 1.8.1027.3000 and Intel Bluetooth Driver 21.80.3. I am using the USB port on the left hand side (which doesn't have the charging symbol, so I assume this is USB 3.0) and I don't have any USB hubs. Will try your ghub suggestion for the uninstall and never used LGS software as it was superseeded by Ghub before I started using the wheel.

The file is located in C:\Users\[YOURUSERNAME]\Documents\My Games\F1 2020\hardware_settings

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 3 weeks later...

@jameswallace

I have the exact problem, my friend has the exact problem - both using G29's. Really keen to see if you found a solution, its really frustrating.

My issue is slightly different, when I go into the game initially it is at 900, if I go back to to the ghub software and change back to 360 and go back into the game it works. Once ingame it stays at 360 until I go out of the game. If I then go back into the game it's 900 again, and have to repeat the process.

 

Edited by BuzzHornet
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, BuzzHornet said:

@jameswallace

I have the exact problem, my friend has the exact problem - both using G29's. Really keen to see if you found a solution, its really frustrating.

My issue is slightly different, when I go into the game initially it is at 900, if I go back to to the ghub software and change back to 360 and go back into the game it works. Once ingame it stays at 360 until I go out of the game. If I then go back into the game it's 900 again, and have to repeat the process.

 

I think so....more of a workaround actually and the new update to logitech ghub has actually helped enourmously (and surprisingly). I'll write some steps here and can provide some screenshots later if it helps:

1. I have created a F1_2020_Dx12 profile in the Ghub with my preferred settings. I also have the same settings in my desktop default as well because it helps with step 3 when the game isn't launched

2. Before each game launch, as suggested my StevieJay, delete the 2 files in C:\Users\[YOURUSERNAME]\Documents\My Games\F1 2020\hardware_settings

3. Again, before the game is launched, connect the G29 and open up the Ghub. Navigate to the screen where the rotation and sensitivity can be adjusted, in the new ghub software, it will show you the angle of the wheel on the right hand side of the screen. Rotate the wheel. If it doesn't doesn't physically stop when you have put the wheel to 180 degrees in either direction (if you have 360 rotation) , then quit Ghub (I do this either through task manager or the taskbar) and then relaunch it. Repeat this step until the wheel physically stops at your preferred setting and is showing the same value on the steering angle graphic (this is why a ghub update is actually useful for a change). I have never had to repeat this step more than twice in the past.

4. Once you are happy the wheel is only giving you the rotation you want, keep the ghub open and launch the game.

5. I would try in time trial mode first. I have had one instance where the steering wheel was off centre to begin with, but crashing into a wall seemed to force the motor to reset, but 9/10 times it giving me the settings I want. It also seems to work for me now switching between settings so I am suspecting clearing the hardware files and getting ghub with the correct settings before launching is doing the right thing

6. I can also share with you my wheel FFB settings, i have copied some settings over from 2019 game on the ps4 and it feels really sweet to drive now

Hope this helps and more than happy to provide any video/screenshots for anything that isn't clear

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, jameswallace said:

I think so....more of a workaround actually and the new update to logitech ghub has actually helped enourmously (and surprisingly). I'll write some steps here and can provide some screenshots later if it helps:

1. I have created a F1_2020_Dx12 profile in the Ghub with my preferred settings. I also have the same settings in my desktop default as well because it helps with step 3 when the game isn't launched

2. Before each game launch, as suggested my StevieJay, delete the 2 files in C:\Users\[YOURUSERNAME]\Documents\My Games\F1 2020\hardware_settings

3. Again, before the game is launched, connect the G29 and open up the Ghub. Navigate to the screen where the rotation and sensitivity can be adjusted, in the new ghub software, it will show you the angle of the wheel on the right hand side of the screen. Rotate the wheel. If it doesn't doesn't physically stop when you have put the wheel to 180 degrees in either direction (if you have 360 rotation) , then quit Ghub (I do this either through task manager or the taskbar) and then relaunch it. Repeat this step until the wheel physically stops at your preferred setting and is showing the same value on the steering angle graphic (this is why a ghub update is actually useful for a change). I have never had to repeat this step more than twice in the past.

4. Once you are happy the wheel is only giving you the rotation you want, keep the ghub open and launch the game.

5. I would try in time trial mode first. I have had one instance where the steering wheel was off centre to begin with, but crashing into a wall seemed to force the motor to reset, but 9/10 times it giving me the settings I want. It also seems to work for me now switching between settings so I am suspecting clearing the hardware files and getting ghub with the correct settings before launching is doing the right thing

6. I can also share with you my wheel FFB settings, i have copied some settings over from 2019 game on the ps4 and it feels really sweet to drive now

Hope this helps and more than happy to provide any video/screenshots for anything that isn't clear

Thanks mate appreciate it, its clunky but if it works than great. I will give it a try and let you know.

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 3 months later...
On 8/21/2020 at 7:19 PM, jameswallace said:

I think so....more of a workaround actually and the new update to logitech ghub has actually helped enourmously (and surprisingly). I'll write some steps here and can provide some screenshots later if it helps:

1. I have created a F1_2020_Dx12 profile in the Ghub with my preferred settings. I also have the same settings in my desktop default as well because it helps with step 3 when the game isn't launched

2. Before each game launch, as suggested my StevieJay, delete the 2 files in C:\Users\[YOURUSERNAME]\Documents\My Games\F1 2020\hardware_settings

3. Again, before the game is launched, connect the G29 and open up the Ghub. Navigate to the screen where the rotation and sensitivity can be adjusted, in the new ghub software, it will show you the angle of the wheel on the right hand side of the screen. Rotate the wheel. If it doesn't doesn't physically stop when you have put the wheel to 180 degrees in either direction (if you have 360 rotation) , then quit Ghub (I do this either through task manager or the taskbar) and then relaunch it. Repeat this step until the wheel physically stops at your preferred setting and is showing the same value on the steering angle graphic (this is why a ghub update is actually useful for a change). I have never had to repeat this step more than twice in the past.

4. Once you are happy the wheel is only giving you the rotation you want, keep the ghub open and launch the game.

5. I would try in time trial mode first. I have had one instance where the steering wheel was off centre to begin with, but crashing into a wall seemed to force the motor to reset, but 9/10 times it giving me the settings I want. It also seems to work for me now switching between settings so I am suspecting clearing the hardware files and getting ghub with the correct settings before launching is doing the right thing

6. I can also share with you my wheel FFB settings, i have copied some settings over from 2019 game on the ps4 and it feels really sweet to drive now

Hope this helps and more than happy to provide any video/screenshots for anything that isn't clear

Hey mate can you please post some screenshots inside Ghub? I must be doing something wrong with the profiles. It works randomly about 1 in 10 times without a consistent reason/method I do. I test in time-trial in Melbourne and pretty much know straight away turning into the corner before the main straight. When its right, it feels nimble and sharp, but the other 9 times out of 10 it is truck like you have to move the wheel completely to the right to make it turn. Also when I look on screen my wheel is on a massive angle where if you look at the driver animation on screen it is only a minor movement of the steering wheel. 

I have tried your approach, I delete the two config settings - ghub says it is 360 and in gub i get to the physical limit of the wheel at 180 left and 180 right but in-game it just not right - 1 times out of ten i get it right but I don't seem to be doing anything different. Any help appreciated.

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, BuzzHornet said:

Hey mate can you please post some screenshots inside Ghub? I must be doing something wrong with the profiles. It works randomly about 1 in 10 times without a consistent reason/method I do. I test in time-trial in Melbourne and pretty much know straight away turning into the corner before the main straight. When its right, it feels nimble and sharp, but the other 9 times out of 10 it is truck like you have to move the wheel completely to the right to make it turn. Also when I look on screen my wheel is on a massive angle where if you look at the driver animation on screen it is only a minor movement of the steering wheel. 

I have tried your approach, I delete the two config settings - ghub says it is 360 and in gub i get to the physical limit of the wheel at 180 left and 180 right but in-game it just not right - 1 times out of ten i get it right but I don't seem to be doing anything different. Any help appreciated.

It seems like since the update that a different approach was needed for me to get the workaround work. I have uploaded a couple of videos to show what I do live and what I feel after the settings were applied (and more importantly when switching between modes)

Hope it helps, and let me know if anything needs clarifying

Link to post
Share on other sites
38 minutes ago, steviejay69 said:

Set your screen to secondary only. You will be losing performance hand over fist with duplicate displays.

Also, check your power management settings, they're much more aggressive on portables.

Thanks for the tips Stevie. Must admit I never had a problem with F1 or automobalista before (a few issues with ACC, but looks like it Ghub as when I close it, it is fine) but will try these out (but only after the grand prix today is done 🙂

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 1 month later...

What I've discovered for myself and that compares to what James Wallace says.
When you start the PC and GHUB is started, GHUB has "forgotten" the rotation settings.

After booting up the PC and recognizing the steering wheel you close the GHUB software again.
Then open the software again, and you will see that the settings are applied again. 
You only have to do this at the first startup of the PC.
After that I have no more problems with GHUB in game. (until I shut down the PC)
I can enter any rotation I want. no problem.

Perform the operations below with the CENTERING SPRING checked in GHUB.

1. start the PC with the steering wheel connected to the USB.
2. Wait until the PC boots up and the wheel is recognized by GHUB.
3. Then close the GHUB software and leave the wheel connected.
4. Open the GHUB software again, you will see that the wheel will calibrate again.
5. Check your settings / rotation and you will see that everything works the way you set it.

I have rebooted several times, then the problem is not present,
But if you shut down the PC, then the problem comes up again. and you have to do the above steps again.

Software and Logitech together is not a good marriage.
They make fine steering and pedaling, but the software is just terrible.👿

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/11/2021 at 10:49 PM, RowDX228 said:

What I've discovered for myself and that compares to what James Wallace says.
When you start the PC and GHUB is started, GHUB has "forgotten" the rotation settings.

After booting up the PC and recognizing the steering wheel you close the GHUB software again.
Then open the software again, and you will see that the settings are applied again. 
You only have to do this at the first startup of the PC.
After that I have no more problems with GHUB in game. (until I shut down the PC)
I can enter any rotation I want. no problem.

Perform the operations below with the CENTERING SPRING checked in GHUB.

1. start the PC with the steering wheel connected to the USB.
2. Wait until the PC boots up and the wheel is recognized by GHUB.
3. Then close the GHUB software and leave the wheel connected.
4. Open the GHUB software again, you will see that the wheel will calibrate again.
5. Check your settings / rotation and you will see that everything works the way you set it.

I have rebooted several times, then the problem is not present,
But if you shut down the PC, then the problem comes up again. and you have to do the above steps again.

Software and Logitech together is not a good marriage.
They make fine steering and pedaling, but the software is just terrible.👿

@LogiUK coal face reports are not good, can this be relayed to the devs?

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 5 months later...
On 1/11/2021 at 10:49 PM, RowDX228 said:

I have rebooted several times, then the problem is not present,
But if you shut down the PC, then the problem comes up again. and you have to do the above steps again.

Software and Logitech together is not a good marriage.
They make fine steering and pedaling, but the software is just terrible.👿

@RowDX228If this is still the case can you disable hybrid shutdown and feedback what happens?

Start|Settings|System|Power|Additional Power Settings|Choose what the power buttons do|Change settings that are unavailable|Uncheck 'Turn on Fast Startup (recommended)'

Alternatively Search|Power & Sleep Settings|Additional Power Settings|Choose what the power buttons do|Change settings that are unavailable|Uncheck 'Turn on Fast Startup (recommended)'

Link to post
Share on other sites

@steviejay69

 

dear stevieJay69

I did what you asked, but unfortunately no positive effect.
Same problem, now after the last update from GHUB it does seem to be worse.
The problem is in the lghub_agent. if you stop this process and start it again everything works perfectly.
The 360 degrees is remembered nicely, and in game everything also works as it should.(Have now played +/- 700 hours the game F1 2020) And the problem is still there.
For myself I made a small solution in Powershell.
[Powershell code below]
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Stop-Process -Name lghub   (stopping  Ghub)
Stop-Process -Name lghub_agent   (stopping lghub_agent  )
Start-Sleep -Seconds 5  (Wait for 5 seconds)
Start-Process -FilePath "C:\Program Files\LGHUB.exe"  (starting up Ghub again and automtically start the lghub_agent)
Exit-PSSession

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I run this little script after booting the Pc, after that everything works as it should. no forgotten settings, no problems in game play.

I hope Logitech will fix this before the release of F1 2021.
F1 2020 is not the problem, the Ghub from logitech is screwing things up.

Hope you can do something with this information.

(Windows 10 version 20H2)

Kind regards,

rowdx228,
(JpK46)

Edited by RowDX228
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...