F1 2020 | PODIUM PASS SERIES 2 NOW LIVE| READ ME!!! Read more... ×
F1 2020 | CODEMASTERS PC FORUM CHAMPIONSHIP | LOOKING FOR DRIVERS Read more... ×

Monaco Hairpin

I have immense trouble with Monaco's hairpin in the form of cutting (rare), stopping/low-rev first (too slow entering; common), or marrying the wall (too fast entering; common). Any tips on that specific corner? I've been advised on how to corner better in a different topic already, which I'm still working on.

Brake with the steering wheel straight for as long as possible and trail brake lightly for the as you attack the corner.

Use a little kerb when hitting the apex if necessary.

Update
I just ran 12 full laps at Monaco, during which I may have hit the hairpin's wall just once or twice. However, I'd almost always botch the lap on turn two's wall by carrying too much speed. Mind you, I'm not quite used to the current F1 car's power yet because these past few days are the first ones I've spent in that car after spending most of the last three weeks in the classic F1 cars, which only have seven gears and don't have DRS.

Had the same problem! Go to settings (controls) while driving then increase steering linearity and steering deadzone. 

Steering linearity: 60, steering deadzone: 50

This is for controller but may change for a wheel

Also (optional) increase throttle and brake linearity for more smooth and precise cornering. 

Since reading this thread I have now messed up this hairpin several times, something I have not had a problem with in 10+ years of F1 gaming. 

I have been in the braking zone thinking about this thread, ovethinking my choice of angle, braking speed, exit speed, nearly every time. 

I demand some sort of compensation!

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, KNT2011 said:

Since reading this thread I have now messed up this hairpin several times, something I have not had a problem with in 10+ years of F1 gaming. 

I have been in the braking zone thinking about this thread, ovethinking my choice of angle, braking speed, exit speed, nearly every time. 

Not my fault. I tend to overthink things a lot as well.

By the way, the only times I've messed it up since my last post have been in the rain.

1 hour ago, KNT2011 said:

Come here, I'll give you a hug.

Monaco is my next GP so I'll demand one back, ok?

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, TurkeySloth2107 said:

Not my fault. I tend to overthink things a lot as well.

By the way, the only times I've messed it up since my last post have been in the rain.

I"ve managed to get myself stuck and had to reverse back out :classic_laugh:

I can't remember the last time...

As those virtual eyes staring at me, mocking me, the shame.

• Haha 1

11 hours ago, KNT2011 said:

I"ve managed to get myself stuck and had to reverse back out :classic_laugh:

I can't remember the last time...

As those virtual eyes staring at me, mocking me, the shame.

I'm so busy trying to learn the tracks that I've taken to the onorthodox method of restarting time trial laps when the car's nose isn't pointing near the correct way because I know I've done something hiddeously wrong to make it like that.

5 minutes ago, TurkeySloth2107 said:

I'm so busy trying to learn the tracks that I've taken to the onorthodox method of restarting time trial laps when the car's nose isn't pointing near the correct way because I know I've done something hiddeously wrong to make it like that.

Particularly I'd personally dissuade you from regularly restarting laps. I'm learning tracks myself (Zandvoort currently) and I at least find that getting into a flow of continuous laps works better. 

7 minutes ago, Ultra3142 said:

Particularly I'd personally dissuade you from regularly restarting laps. I'm learning tracks myself (Zandvoort currently) and I at least find that getting into a flow of continuous laps works better. 

My main condition is that nothing major goes wrong, actually. I'm just way too liberal using the restart feature. Monaco's my favorite track for that downhill to the tunnel. Unfortunately, that track's so narrow that it's impossible to go anywhere near perpendicular to the track without a runoff.

2 minutes ago, TurkeySloth2107 said:

Unfortunately, that track's so narrow that it's impossible to go anywhere near perpendicular to the track without a runoff.

It's generally best to avoid ending up pointing sideways on any track :classic_biggrin:.

(Which is not to say I don't. I was spinning off at Silverstone turn 1 (Abbey) rather too regularly at the weekend for example! TRL Limitless manages to take it absolutely flat but damned if I can manage it using his setup :classic_sad:.)

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Ultra3142 said:

Getting into the groove is huge! I'd dare say that it is much more important for your race pace than perfect apexes. 

However I think the flashback feature plays a big role in the learning curve too. Not exactly what you guys are discussing but if you use the flashbacks to get you to the point before the first braking zone on a complex of corners and you force yourself to go over it all again even if you're only having issues with say corner exit of the second turn, that will do wonders to your muscle memory. Rinse and repeat is the name of the game in these cases, whatever the sport.

What has no argument for except "I'm a casual and I just want a good result" though is abusing the flashback to get those micro instants right. Like if you keep flashbacking to the ending of your braking zone just so you can correct your steering and hit the apex better. That's a crutch. 

Edit: To clarify, it is not one or the other. These are different approaches to different objectives. Groove and trail braking/throttle application on corner exit/commitment of braking points to memory/whatever minutia you're working at. 

Edited by marioho

In races I'd never use a flashback as I'd feel I was straight up cheating (not saying others shouldn't use them if they wish though!) You make an interesting point re. practicing though @marioho - I'd not thought of using them like that.

2 minutes ago, Ultra3142 said:

In races I'd never use a flashback as I'd feel I was straight up cheating (not saying others shouldn't use them if they wish though!) You make an interesting point re. practicing though @marioho - I'd not thought of using them like that.

Flashbacks are a genius addition not just to F1 games but racing games in general. 

My life isn't set up for me to the very best couch racer of all time, in fact it actively works against it, whether it be phone calls, door bells, the little one legging it through the front room with wet feet dripping everywhere. F1 drivers don't have to deal with that as everything around them is set up for them to excel in the car in that moment, my life.. not so much. Flashbacks are priceless. 

• Haha 2
  • Agree 1

Posted (edited)
5 minutes ago, KNT2011 said:

Flashbacks are a genius addition not just to F1 games but racing games in general. 

My life isn't set up for me to the very best couch racer of all time, in fact it actively works against it, whether it be phone calls, door bells, the little one legging it through the front room with wet feet dripping everywhere. F1 drivers don't have to deal with that as everything around them is set up for them to excel in the car in that moment, my life.. not so much. Flashbacks are priceless. 

Ha! As I said, I wasn't saying anything about others using flashbacks, just how I personally feel for my own situation - which perhaps critically doesn't include any 'little ones' as possible distractions :classic_biggrin:.

Edited by Ultra3142
  • Haha 1

@KNT2011 I feel you.

I'm a lawyer stuck in home office amid an economic crisis and with two pups.422624812_WhatsAppImage2020-08-07at18_38_04.thumb.jpeg.ebc0f0d4e3f83dc08568a6e229491f59.jpeg

I could probably only race Monza online. 

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, Ultra3142 said:

It's generally best to avoid ending up pointing sideways on any track :classic_biggrin:.

(Which is not to say I don't. I was spinning off at Silverstone turn 1 (Abbey) rather too regularly at the weekend for example! TRL Limitless manages to take it absolutely flat but damned if I can manage it using his setup :classic_sad:.)

It's not that hard but you do need to get the turn in point right which can take some practice. Get it wrong slightly and you cut the corner or go wide. But once you figured it out you will feel stupid for not having figured it out earlier.

4 hours ago, GnrDreagon said:

It's not that hard but you do need to get the turn in point right which can take some practice. Get it wrong slightly and you cut the corner or go wide. But once you figured it out you will feel stupid for not having figured it out earlier.

It was more that getting it wrong had me spinning off into a high speed collision with a barrier! 

There aren't any differences in handling or how setups behave between platforms that could make a difference are there?

On 8/8/2020 at 8:26 AM, Ultra3142 said:

It was more that getting it wrong had me spinning off into a high speed collision with a barrier! 

There aren't any differences in handling or how setups behave between platforms that could make a difference are there?

No. At least nothing a few laps can't solve. It really is about getting the timing and line right. If you do it correctly you got through turn 1 and 2 at full speed, do it wrong and you leave the track or end up spinning like you or Vettel today.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, GnrDreagon said:

No. At least nothing a few laps can't solve. It really is about getting the timing and line right. If you do it correctly you got through turn 1 and 2 at full speed, do it wrong and you leave the track or end up spinning like you or Vettel today.

I'll give it another try at some point :classic_smile:. I've  mostly been online racing F2 cars round Silverstone today which obviously handle/perform rather differently.

3 hours ago, Ultra3142 said:

I'll give it another try at some point :classic_smile:. I've  mostly been online racing F2 cars round Silverstone today which obviously handle/perform rather differently.

Oh, if you've been using F2 cars you probably can't do it or it's really hard. Those things drive worse than a boat.

15 minutes ago, GnrDreagon said:

Oh, if you've been using F2 cars you probably can't do it or it's really hard. Those things drive worse than a boat.

Only today, as there was free PlayStation Plus access this weekend so I was trying to complete some of the online challenges while I had the chance. My original efforts using TRL Limitless's setup were on the F1 time trial car. So that was all down to my lack of skill!