Jump to content Jump to content

New Logitech wheel (G923)

Rango

On 8/5/2020 at 11:34 AM, marioho said:

By the way Sony has announced that all these peripherals will be compatible with the PS5. 

Were can i find this info? Because having a Thrustmaster racing set up, i am waiting for a Sony confirmation that the T-GT base and T-LCM pedals will work on Ps5..otherwise i can throw all this away 😭

20200805_131454.jpg

I just received my Logitech G920, along with the shifter, and I’m debating on keeping it. I’m completely new to sim racing, and, as of right now, I only own Forza Horizon 4, but I’ll probably get more games once I’m all setup. I also have the Next Level Racing F-Gt Lite for everything. When I saw the new G923, I pre-ordered it, and I have a prepaid return label to send back the G920, but I’m beginning to doubt if it will be worth the extra $150 for the G923, or the extra wait. I’m on the Xbox One X if that makes any difference. I really like the addition of the lights and the adjustment **** on the new wheel, and I’m hopeful that all of the buttons will be functional on the G923. Do you think the G923 will be worth the added cost and wait? I haven’t unboxed the G920 yet, and it won’t cost me anything to send it back. Either way, I’m stoked to get into sim racing, my fiancé got into a really bad car accident almost a year ago, and has a lot of anxiety when driving, so I’m hoping playing sim racing games may help ease some of that anxiety when she is actually out on the road. 

I'm not that familiar with the 920 but personally I would not pay a dime extra for the 923 if I had the G29 available. Same price (as it seems they will be in a few markets, full price speaking), newer model, but I'm not willing to pay a premium for it.

If I were on the Xbox I guess the decision would hinge on how different the G920 is from the G29.

3 hours ago, marioho said:

I'm not that familiar with the 920 but personally I would not pay a dime extra for the 923 if I had the G29 available. Same price (as it seems they will be in a few markets, full price speaking), newer model, but I'm not willing to pay a premium for it.

If I were on the Xbox I guess the decision would hinge on how different the G920 is from the G29.

The g920 isnt that different at all. Its really only the face of the wheel thats changed, and the fact it works on the xbox one (and series x when it releases). Baring that, its identical in force feedback and degrees of rotation to the g29.

Having owned a g27 and a g920, which both have the exact same internal mechinism for force feedback. I personally dont think its worth it to pay more for the g923. The core force feedback will be the same, but logitechs marketing team appear to be going all out to make it seem like its going to destroy everything else on the market.

I also wouldn't trust any review where logitech have sent the wheel to the person doing to the review. They are all sound like they are reading from the same script. Even James Baldwin seems to be reading from the same cheat sheet.

Logitech are trying to make it seem like every other manufacturer of force feedback wheels are using canned effects, but that isnt the case. Games like forza (horizon and motorsport), gran turismo, assetto corsa, project cars, iracing, rfactor, automobalista, they all feed the force feedback from the physics of the game. I would assume dirt rally 2 and f1 2020 are the same in that respect. The canned effects only usually come into it for certain effects such as vibration, which the g923 seems to have pushed from the main force feedback motors to something else, which is been driven by the games audio engine. Its actually listed as "trueforce audio gain" in assetto corsa competizione.

On 8/6/2020 at 2:06 PM, Rango said:

Screw it, I'm saving for Fanatec. By the time I can afford one, CM will have worked out how to get all the buttons working anyway. 

Speaking from my own experience I found the basic Fanatec CSL elite a big step up from the Logitech G920.  To be honest it might even be worth just buying the CSL pedals with the load cell kit first as I found they made the biggest difference in my driving.  Don't get me wrong the wheel base is a lot better (I also found it way way easier to set up than using that gammy logitech software), but it was a decent brake pedal that made me more consistent.  The load cell brake is well worth the extra money.

I seriously doubt I'll even go as far as direct drive stuff mainly due to the cost.  In all, I think my setup cost around £500 (not including the extra wheels I bought).  Still expensive granted, but not that much more than the cost of this logitech stuff now.

However, I do play on PC so I think we have more options available to us.

2 hours ago, JonnyHoonit said:

However, I do play on PC so I think we have more options available to us.

That is true. I believe on xbox I would need an £80 adapter hub to make csl pedals work with my wheel, as I did look into it. I might as well just save for the whole lot or buy bit by bit. 

Aiming for:

v1.1 wheelbase, csl lc pedals, formula v2 wheel

On 8/5/2020 at 2:44 PM, Ialyrn said:

Ive never used a TMX wheel, but the TX wheel is much better in terms of FFB feel and motor torque. I have owned a TX in the past, I also have a G27 and a G920. The TX is just a much better feeling wheel.

Question for you:  Is the TX comparable to the T300RS?  I'm looking at getting a used one and ripping apart the wheel to use the parts to build a custom Formula wheel.

27 minutes ago, DrDraken said:

Question for you:  Is the TX comparable to the T300RS?  I'm looking at getting a used one and ripping apart the wheel to use the parts to build a custom Formula wheel.

As far as i am aware, they share the same motor and mechinism, but the tx is 900° of rotation, and the t300 is 1080°

49 minutes ago, RS Phil said:

I confirm. This makes a huge difference. For me personally, between 1 to 2 seconds per lap.

I always though the brake cell in them was too much could only push it to about 70% without having to almost stand I ended up just using the clutch as a brake instead feels much better to me if not a tad too light but how an earth can you stop with the natural brake cost me bags of time having to brake so early to stop!

Apart from that I dont get all the logitech hate. It costs the same as the TMX and you get arguably better feedback and much better pedals.

Interested in what the new G923 might bring see what sim racing garage says.

25 minutes ago, Ialyrn said:

As far as i am aware, they share the same motor and mechinism, but the tx is 900° of rotation, and the t300 is 1080°

Thanks very much.  That's what I was hoping.  And 900 is fine for what I need.  Heck, I have the T300 set to 370!  🙂

12 minutes ago, AdamFreeman said:

I always though the brake cell in them was too much could only push it to about 70% without having to almost stand

The brakes in an actual F1 car require approximately 80 kgs of pressure to depress.  Probably a lot easier to do when you're strapped to a seat and have a few G's helping you out.

Is the pressure not adjustable on the loadcell pedal?

1 hour ago, DrDraken said:

The brakes in an actual F1 car require approximately 80 kgs of pressure to depress.  Probably a lot easier to do when you're strapped to a seat and have a few G's helping you out.

Is the pressure not adjustable on the loadcell pedal?

Haha precisely that! They're built with this in mind. Which makes the whole brake pressure calibration process more meaningful in real life, as different circuits have different G's working their load on you.  

Remember 80kg is the rated capacity of the load cell so that's the absolute maximum.  You can set it much lower in the setup page.  Mines set to around 60kg but you can set it far lower.

The Fanatec software adjusts it with the BRF setting on the wheel (if you plug it in via the wheel base without plugging in the serparate USB cable on the pedals), and can also be adjusted in the fanatec software on the controller page.

On 8/5/2020 at 9:14 AM, Rango said:

Hoping @BarryBL can answer this one...

Media reporting that the new G923 wheel will have a brand new feedback system that will be integrated into F1 around September time. Considering the fact it also has many more buttons than the G920 on the wheel itself (similar to G29), is the update that will be needed for the wheel going to include the extra button functionality??

@Rango, in response to your original question, I have found the following video...

It would appear the additional buttons on the G923 are not supported for certain games on the Xbox - in my case the F1 games.

It’s not clear from the video if the chap has configured his buttons properly (I doubt this is the case), and also not sure on whose doorstep this issue lies (have heard from some it’s Microsoft not opening up the controller software, others saying it’s a Codemaster issue).

I have pre-ordered a G923 and will report back if the additional buttons work on F1 2019 once I have the unit.

Monzie

• 2 weeks later...

Archived