Things to look into for F1 2021

So the game has been out just under a month and before I dive into this list of things for the next game, I want to quickly say that, on the whole, F1 2020 is worlds better than F1 2019, which was already pretty good. I'm really enjoying both the MyTeam and even the full F2 season into F1 career modes, but there's definitely things that I'd like to see for next year's game (I would like to see these for this year's game, but I am aware of the additional complexities of development given the current global situation). Also you can probably tell that this is something I don't usually do bc of how this is formatted lmao.

1. ERS deployment power in the set-up
    With the ERS being effectively simplified to a push-to-pass system, the two other modes (normal and hot-lap) are now a lot more important in terms of how they act, but there is an issue with the hot-lap mode is that on some tracks, you'll run out of per-lap deployment (Austria is one but I think there's actually a few that suffer with this issue). Now I think this is to do with the fact that the deployment values are locked, which while understandable, does make for some frustration especially in the quali sims this year which seem exceedingly difficult normally, even without your ERS running out on the drive to the line. Now I think a potentially easier solution would be to have optimised hot-lap deployment settings per track, but if you're going to have it adjustable per track, why not go a step further and instead include it as a set-up option, where you can have it as a sliding scale of intensity from 80-120, with one for the normal deployment mode too that also allows for some strategic play; do you amp up the intensity of standard ERS deployment at the cost of having less overtake to deploy, or do you tone it down to give you more time to use overtake per lap but at the cost of less power when not using overtake and also higher power unit component wear, especially the MGU-K and Energy Stores in career mode.
  2. Actual floor damage
    Something that was a relatively welcome surprise was having floor damage be an actual visual component of the car's damage model in both F1 and F2, although I don't know about the Classic cars as I don't use them (picture supplied but I was focused more on the plank for the front wing in my F2 feature race after Alesi made several attempts on my life. Also before I get comments on it, yes I have a modded helmet but the point I'm about to make happens even without mods). However, from my experience of this, the floor damage even on simulation damage settings does not affect the car in any way, which given how crucial the floor is in F1, it is a little bit disappointing to not to feel like I'm fighting the car more with the damage to the floor, I can appreciate that damage like this is not something that can be repaired in the race or even realistically in qualifying, which for more casual fans of the series can be infuriating to have your performance hamstrung by an AI deciding that your life is forfeit and trying to slam into the side of you, but I think a solution to that would be to have floor damage only be a performance detriment on simulation damage. To be clear, I do like that the floor can be visually damage, but for those of us who play on simulation damage, having that extra level of caution would be a nice addition.
  3. Development speed and infinite development options
    For the past two to three games, car development has felt like it's attempting to be condensed to two or three seasons of life, which while understandable as more casual players might not even make past an entire season (although with the adjustable season length in career mode, this is now a little less of an issue), if you want to have extended career modes that go all the way to season 10 and still be engaging, having control over the speed of development is a must. This does go both ways; more casual fans who want to live out a fantasy of having a new team end up at the top in only a single season of its existence a la Brawn GP (albeit that was based on the ashes of the Honda works team that we know now as the "Get in there Lewis!" F1 team) would appreciate having either slower AI development or even faster player development in order to facilitate this. Granted, the R&D resets that came in with F1 2018 and the facility specification upgrades that came in with this game are incredibly useful for increasing the longevity of the career modes, but I think giving the player more control over this isn't necessarily a bad thing, though I suppose one difficulty is trying to balance it all out, especially for players who don't necessarily know what they're doing.
    Another thing to help with this is having infinitely repeatable development nodes for each of the sub-areas of car development (ERS, engine power, fuel efficiency for the engine, weight reduction and redistribution, brakes, tyre wear for the chassis, front and rear wings, drag and DRS for the aerodynamics) that are only available once the departments are maxed out both as a facility and as a car development package and are then unable to be recovered if an R&D reset occurs not only gives a little bit more life in later stages of career modes, but also stops a stalemate from occurring, where players have no upgrades left to purchase and are then able to focus on negating R&D resets by banking extremely large number of Resource Points during the season and then spending it all on adapting parts. There are other ways of solving this stalemate, admittedly, but having something like this, where for example each infinite upgrade costs as much or more than a major or even have increasing costs per upgrade but only gives as much of a boost as a minor or even less allows for late-game Resource Point sinks whilst not being utterly absurd and having cars go 420km/h because of infinite ultimate upgrades (that said, I don't think I'd mind too much if I had an Agera compared to an Alfa).
  4. Track accuracy
    I won't go into detail with this one because this has been a dead horse for a while (it's not even a corpse at this point, it's literally the dust from when Thanos snapped half the universe), but as Suzuka and Barcelona were updated and improved for this year, I'm going to add it onto the list purely for the sake having it be said; there are some tracks on the calendar that need additional work to be a.) realistic and b.) fun to drive. Zandvoort is perhaps the most notable of recent times as it's a new circuit that was already stated to not be accurate by the circuit itself, but Spa is legendary not just for it being one of the longest circuits in grand prix racing and the track where it snowed during a World Endurance Champion race, but by virtue of being frankly terrible in the F1 games. The Bus Stop chicane is a nightmare compared to real life, Stavelot is monstrous (especially for track limits) and Pouhon is something I use to make sure my nephew behaves himself. I do have hope for the next game as not only is there a new console generation, but also given that two existing tracks were given an update for this year, I think having another track or two updated for the new game would be incredible too.
  5. F2 Story mode
    Notable by its absence was the F2 story more from this years game, which while understandable given that it was a separate team working on the F1 2019 and 2020 games, was still somewhat disappointing, though I will say I'm still enjoying the ability to have F2 still be a part of the standard career mode. However, for the next game especially, should the Story mode come back (which I hope there's an option to have like in 2019), having it play much more of a role in the actual F1 career portion would be really cool, especially having it where if you collide with Weber as teammates again, he has a go at you or whatever, or if you and Butler are in a title rivalry but he clinches the title, he mocks and gloats, like he does in F2 if you don't send him to the shadow realm (or go for the boring option and just beat him on track). As an aside, I know in F2 that you are allowed drastically differentiated driver overalls compared to what would be typical of the team, so it would be really cool if you had different driver overalls depending on which driver academy you were with, so if you were with the Red Bull driver academy, you'd have overalls inspired by the F1 Red Bull overalls, if you were with the Renault driver academy, you'd have Renault inspired overalls and so on. I know not every academy has it set up like this, but it would still be interesting having differentiated overalls depending on not only the team but also the driver academy. Having the relevant designs incorporated into the helmet designs would be really cool too; in my F2 career, I'm a Red Bull academy driver which is why I'm using a Red Bull helmet and while it's really cool to have that for me, it would be even better if console players were able to have something like this too, though I know that there are licensing issues to contend with here.

As I said at the top of this, F1 2020 is a lot better than 2019 which was already very good (kind of the opposite of real life, if you think about it), but these are a few things I think would help improve things for the next game if these are too complex to be implemented as a content patch for this year. 

PS: When I initially wrote this, I forgot I had a screenshot that showcased the floor damage on the F1 cars. Luckily, I found the screenshot of George Russell being utterly obliterated by my complete inability to take the Hanoi track at speeds above what my Corsa can do. So enjoy the last moments before George Russell (and I) see a "You Died" appear in front of our eyes.

F1_2020_photo_20200711_042048.png

F1_2020_photo_20200803_222917.png

• Like 1
  • Agree 3

Tracks accuracy 🙌❤️ Spa really needs a rework oh my god ! I really hope Codemasters will improve this area by now 

Posted (edited)

Can track accuracies be added in patches with real world kerbs, run off, sponsored boards no alcohol, sausage kerbs Barcelona and turn 5 exit Budapest,  big big work on chicanes.

Project Cars 3 has the best representation of Silverstone the rumble strip sound effect kerbs

Edited by DANDREWTHOMSON

I was, actually, going to suggest them making Driver Career and MyTeam modes into different takes on a Road to F1-type mode and throw in that they should try to license F3 as well.

Posted (edited)

All the correct kerbing etc.

Need the fly Emirates logo on Turn 1 entry, just noticed while watching FP2.

At the 1.14 mark there is kerbing on the inside, at the 1.27 mark there is the white rumble strip kerbing on the exit of copse and also at the 2.06 mark and 2.18 and 2.24 mark.

Edited by DANDREWTHOMSON
  • Like 1

Another track that F1 Codemasters need to work on, PC3 video, this is how the track should be, 3 years since the newer kerbing.

OP mentiones that Zandvoort is not being accurate according to the track representatives. Can somebody link a source of this claim?

Codemasters used Zandvoort's Lidar laser  scan data for the first time for a new track so I don't understand where the inaccuracy is being present.

Titles like iRacing or Assetto Corsa Competizione use laser scanning to bring tracks to their sims. Without laser scanning there is always some errors or inaccuracies. It is a time consuming process and some tracks like the street circuits would be logistically hard to laser scan due to being available only for a very short limited amount of time.

We also really need the AI to crash more. They only reason there are ever cars that don’t finish is because of mechanical failures. I know it’s better this year now that AI make some mistakes, but if they could make even more mistakes and crash into each other or crash our sometimes, the game would be much better. Who crashes could also correlate to driver rankings.

Do it on madness engine, it looks nice, sharp, smooth and support triple and VR

• Agree 1

Posted (edited)

I think the advancements made to this game year after year are very special. I love almost everything about this game and know they are trying to fix bugs and issues in the game. These are some ideas that could make the future games better- Being able to choose different contract lengths for Myteam and negotiate higher and lower prices based off length would make finance easier and the game more realistic. Being able to hire staff directors for the team could be awesome. Being able to hire a technical director that is better for a higher price that could advance car development and speed would be cool. You could also buyout other directors from other teams. Also being able to hire a tots number of staff, like 100 in aero, 400 in power train and deciding the number of staff per department could be cool to affect costs of facilities and how much money wants to be spent and managed. In real F1 garage order is picked off championship standings at the end of the year, so changing the garage spot in the paddock would be awesome and have benefits for preforming well. This is a very extreme idea but what if in future games you could make your own track. You would pick the barriers and turns and elevation and more. This would then be a expensive feature you could buy for your teams facilities in Myteam mode where your team could test their car. This could also could be its own game mode and community place where tracks are made In a future F1 game being able to walk in the paddock would add so much to the game. This would be like being in the teams motor home in Myteam/Carrer mode, but instead you would have a clock and calendar almost like a open world game. You would have your calendar with the places you are supposed to be and when and you then would go to them. For example at 8am you would walk to the motor home to talk to the team then have to go and do a press interview at 10am and then go and have lunch or workout at 10:30am and then go to the garage and prepare for practice at 11am. Then once getting to the garage and being on time or early practice would start with you in the car. It would be awesome in Myteam and Carrer mode to be able to have a time and places to be in the paddock and be able to go to each of them and decide when and where you want to be and do. You could even arrange your schedule like the newfeature in Myteam.

Edited by InductedPark184

On 8/11/2020 at 5:24 PM, InductedPark184 said:

We also really need the AI to crash more. They only reason there are ever cars that don’t finish is because of mechanical failures. I know it’s better this year now that AI make some mistakes, but if they could make even more mistakes and crash into each other or crash our sometimes, the game would be much better. Who crashes could also correlate to driver rankings.

I'd really like to echo the above because if done properly it would really add to that level of immersion. So far I've seen this happen once since getting the game on release and it's a shame all we see are the occasional bumps with a fair few mechanical failures. To see drivers spin-out would be awesome with all of the dust and smoke. 

One of the big selling features that convinced me to get this (besides MyTeam) is split-screen which is nice to have but the lack of team radio is disappointing. The option button was there on release but has been patched out since then. Hopefully this gets added in another update but I'm not holding out much hope. 

I’d like to see;

• pit or grid walk, so you can look around the garage, cars, drivers and engineers, maybe see something that could help develop your car
  • track walk or cycle, so you can look closely at circuit design, track conditions and grip levels pre qualifying and race, maybe talk to team bosses or drivers for potential contracts
  • change car development system, to hide the potential of upgrades until they have been completed, adding more realism 
  • In-depth strategies pre and in race maybe at 50% and 100% distance, compared to other teams predicted strategies, control myteam team mate strategy, more information from Geoff on required lap time in race
  • More in race car management, controlling tyre, brake, engine temps, required lap times for position
  • Team or team mate advice on setups, share setups with team mate if they are under performing in myteam
  • Limit what second driver can do, and more control for first choice driver in team, on car, team, development and race strategy, maybe through contact negotiations 
  • Gameplay modification to slow ai cars down by having more minor driving mistakes like brake lockups and driving lines
  • More helmet design customisation, maybe allowing player to add text and numbers
  • Modify team mate rivalry to count and show fastest lap, qualifying and race result count for whole season, to increase competition between you and them
  • Change acclaim levels; with press interviews around the circuits maybe pits, grid, team trailer, and meet the fans (changes per circuit), crashes, overtakes, following team strategy correctly maybe by helping first choice driver
  • Agree 1

My biggest thing is being able to walk around the paddock or headquarters (being able to walk from the dressing room to the garage to the car and having the animation of getting in and out of it. Walking into the team managers room for discussions and contract signings) It would create far more immersion!

Here is a couple more important things

1. I would like a more expanded MyTeam features. ex. Be able to create your own engine for your team and develop it as well as other teams being able to purchase your engine as they do in the real F1.

2. More body customization to the actual body shape ( how mercedes and red bull look completely different.) 

3. Being able to select what city we want our headquarters in and get to walk and see more throughout the facilities. 

4. Have teammate and team aclaim or morale that changes with your actions on and off the track. 

5. Be able to interact more with people in the game (fans, teammates, managers, engineer) 

6. Being able to get out of the car and what up to the podium meeting area and meet with the other 2 drivers before walking out onto the stage.

7. More story dialogue ex. ( If your hit someone on track they might come up to you and talk to you about it or if you have to retire your car because of a mistake you made than you have to go talk to the team manager and explain what happened. More conversations with your agent and do a interactive contract negotiations like taking a tour of their facilities and more. DEFINITELY more conversations between you and your teammate (throughout history in real F1 there has been many teammate rivalries that got heated) 

7. Being able to develop certain listed parts that every team is required to make themselves and are not allowed to buy from another. 

8. More customization of what the inside of the car looks like. Every teams steering wheel and cockpit looks different. 

9. Be able to go to driver briefings at every track like they do in real F1! 

and lastly 10. in MyTeam if you are wanting a driver to join your team you could approach them throughout the season or ask them to come to your headquarters and talk and based of your relationship and how you drive on the track that may make a difference on if they want to join you since your a driver and a team owner. 

just a few things I would like to see! and maybe getting on the plane to travel to the next GP or headquarters.

Edited by SeattleWolf21