Forum Championship League | BELGIAN GP 22/01/2021 Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  

Manual Brakes

Hi,

I have been trying to use no ABS but dont seem to be any quicker.

Can anyone confirm that using ABS is slower then "manual" braking?

Thanks

It seems like you are a little bit faster without ABS but this is just getting used to it and having the good brake setup for your driving style.

This should be helpful.

In fact, braking distances are shorter with ABS off and this can make a difference if you know how to manage it.

Edited by philappleraily
  • Thanks 2

Well,  it's not as simple as having ABS on or off. With it off your setup is a lot more important. It took me a while to adapt to driving without ABS as well. At first I was actually slower, until I had the muscle memory reprogrammed and learned to set the brake balance and so on.

It is. A while ago I could drive a decent lap around Austria without ABS. I showed my dad how to drive a lap on his ps4 and he had it turned on. I overshot almost every turn because of the increased brake distance.

It’s the same old same old. Practise. Once you get used to it it’s much better. Aim for 100m boards. That’ll be a good start. 

17 hours ago, tarrantino said:

It’s the same old same old. Practise. Once you get used to it it’s much better. Aim for 100m boards. That’ll be a good start. 

Please don't, I use them as brake markers. :classic_blush:

• Haha 6

I find braking is much more difficult when using pedals instead of a controller. Well, at least this is my impression after approx. 20h using the T300. The brake pedal is quite hard and it's really difficult to stop the tyres from getting locked. I think the actual window for the braking force is too small and it's difficult to come down gradually from 100% to 0% in a fraction of a second. I really like to learn trail braking but I'm curious if it's even possible with the standard pedals of the T300. Anyone facing similar issues? My corner speed is often way too low because I loose to much speed in the braking process. 

4 hours ago, SixtoRodriguez said:

I find braking is much more difficult when using pedals instead of a controller. Well, at least this is my impression after approx. 20h using the T300. The brake pedal is quite hard and it's really difficult to stop the tyres from getting locked. I think the actual window for the braking force is too small and it's difficult to come down gradually from 100% to 0% in a fraction of a second. I really like to learn trail braking but I'm curious if it's even possible with the standard pedals of the T300. Anyone facing similar issues? My corner speed is often way too low because I loose to much speed in the braking process. 

It's what players seem to struggle the most when transitioning from the pad. Just keep going at it, you will learn. It's only a matter of time.

Luckily I have not had to try the standard pedals. However, I did struggle at first with the T3PAs after G29, even though they are better in every way. It takes time to re-adjust your muscle memory. I have a strange habit of squeezing the base of the pedal with my left heel while I'm trail braking. I guess somehow I'm applying some sort of counter weight/pressure to help with the sensitive and not very resistant brake pedal. Wouldn't recommend this though, there are days I struggle to stand after stressing my heel extensively.

If you want to practice trail braking, head to Time Trial and pick Suzuka. Keep hammering at the first corner(s), they are excellent for the purpose. Record your driving and see from the telemetry how you're applying the brakes. Make adjustments if needed and keep plugging away.

• Agree 1