Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Tyre wear model?

Of all of the features included and not included in F1 2015, this is the one that I am most curious about and have been unable to find anything giving a definitive answer.  As this issue was the primary reason I stopped playing 2014, I'd like to know from the community and/or the devs a little more.  My commitment to purchase of the game hinges on the answer, so here is the question...

Is tyre wear properly simulated such that aggressive driving, lockups, setup, and other factors play a significant role in tyre life?  In past iterations, the whole model of wear was completely canned/scripted.  Guys with aggressive setups and driving would get the same number of laps out of the tyre as someone that may choose a more conservative setup and driving style in order to play strategy.  To my mind, a proper tyre wear model is of paramount importance to any F1 game/sim.  If it is not done properly, most, if not all elements of strategy are nullified.  One could argue that setups are also nullified as there can really only be one optimal set for each track.  That is to say, a time trial setup.  Hotlapping every lap of a GP due to a scripted model is just not appealing to me...

Can anyone provide feedback on this?  I'd love to rejoin the community but my hesitation pretty much lies with this issue.

I have no Idea because there isn't even a graphic telling you what state your tyres are in. You only get a radio message saying your tyres are getting wear.

I think I'm a fairly smooth driver but in my first career race I had a very very aggressive setup and the tyres were only lasting half of what they should have, Which didn't happen on previous F1 Games (I didn't play 2014).

may not have answered your question just some input 

mfluder said:
I have no Idea because there isn't even a graphic telling you what state your tyres are in. You only get a radio message saying your tyres are getting wear.
Fair enough.  I'd don't need a visual necessarily, but a confirmation of how tyre wear is implemented in the engine.

I've only done 25% races and with a pretty non aggressive setup and the tyres start wearing right around your pitstop.

I originally posted this nearly after fresh release of the game and the forums were moving so fast, it was buried within minutes.  I am asking again in order to beg more incite on whether or not I should entertain the idea of purchasing the game.  This issue is a huge factor in my estimation of true representation of a racing game.  I need to know that race-craft plays a role in what is supposed to be a representation of the "pinnacle of motorsport." Otherwise, it's an arcade game and I am not interested...

I haven't driven that much to know yet, and the one full length (58 lap Melbourne) race I have done I saw tyre deg about the same as the AI. I wasn't running crazy camber or toe, and my wing settings were moderate (not 11/1).

However, I have been watching a few YouTubers playing career mode with no assists and legend AI, and at least one of them seems to run crazy (ie: max camber, max toe, 11/1) setups without reciprocal tyre degradation you would expect.

On the other hand, the temperature modeling (which you can monitor live) seems pretty darn good. Your race engineer gives you verbal updates on how your tyres are holding up, and worn tyres will show in the 'damage' screen. Like I said, I haven't done enough to give you a definitive answer, but so far I'm ok with how it feels.

Someone needs to test this by doing 20 laps with default setting (no errors), then 20 laps with max camber (no errors), then 20 laps with lockups, oversteer and wheelspin to see if there is a quicker deg through any of them. Not me though, I don't have time :wink: .

Thanks for the reply Jesse.  I'd like to think CM would be so bold as to just answer a question like this.  That would be much easier and straightforward than one of us running 60 laps just to understand their tire model...  I don't really expect them to answer at this point though.  Just another example of why I haven't given any money yet to CM.  After feeling very burned on 2014, and seeing the writing on the wall for 2015, I feel like I may be done with CM.  I expect a officially licensed product for F1 should be very well polished and give true racing fans a chance to be as immersed as possible in F1.  Not from the TV broadcast/commercial POV, but from the driver/engineer POV.  Proper simulation in all racing games starts and ends with tire modelling: wear, physics, grip levels, heat, etc.  Those should all be approximated as closely as possible to real life.  The decision script any of that does a HUGE disservice to the F1 brand.  I presume in 2015, as in previous versions, that they are mostly all scripted and/or hollow.  If so, shame on CM and shame on the FIA or whomever gives the okay.  Give us racers a proper sim (or the option of one) Leave F1 Race Stars style games for the casual fans.  I am not bitter, just disappointed.

It's scripted, like in the other games.

Because this is a brand new engine built from the scratch, you know

I'm not sureconcthis but something they have added is that tyre temperature effects grip. The hotter the tyre the more grip you have but with the rears it reaches a certain temperature and you have zero grip. 
They do talk at start about certain tracks being hard on certain tyres. And it does see to follow that but you can protect using brake bias and different fuel mixes. No idea about setup. I would say its 50-50. 50% scripted and 50% tyre temperature

Is tyre wear properly simulated such that aggressive driving, lockups, setup, and other factors play a significant role in tyre life?  
From what I understand this is simulated. With the addition of the swiping menu on the right, you can see the damage of the tyres in realtime, and if you lock up the brakes regularly or wheelspin a lot, you can see the individual tyres wearing down as you would expect. How this scales against real world tyre wear, I'm not too sure; but it does seem to be simulated based on your actual driving at least.

Hey MILK!

Tire temps definitely effect grip and spinning the tires effects tire wear for sure.  I was doing doughnuts spinning up my rears.  They turned Red very quickly and I kept doing them.  When I stopped and looked at the tire wear in the damage info my rears were yellow and my fronts did not have wear.   You will notice this happening at the start of a race when the lights go out.  It is very hard to get a good start, and if you watch when the rears go red if you spin too much you care will fish tail like crazy.

I have also noticed this in china and malaysia with the fronts.  if they get red on those high speed corners grip starts to go down.  Also if you lock up the brakes, the tires turn red and you lose a ton of grip until they cool back down.

I think there is some simulated stuff for sure, but at least with tire spinning i believe the user effects that.  I really am careful not to do this in my racing, and I can outlast the AI.  I start to gain on them pretty decently in the last 3-4 laps of a stint.

The same thing happens also with engine temp.  If you keep over revving, the engine will turn red and you will lose top speed.