F1 2020 | PODIUM PASS SERIES 2 NOW LIVE| READ ME!!! Read more... ×
F1 2020 | CODEMASTERS PC FORUM CHAMPIONSHIP | LOOKING FOR DRIVERS Read more... ×

F1 with 7 or 8 gears?

On this video we see a lap from Riccardo with the Renault. One thing that surprises me is that he only used 7 gears. Where is the 8th gear? Has someone an explanation?

There is absolutely no evidence that he didn't use the 8th gear during his hotlap, unless I'm missing something in that video. What I saw is that he used the appropriate 7th gear for that part of the track.

• Agree 1

Here's a video showing Ricciardo using 8 gears in Austria this year:

I've found that not shifting up to 8th at Silverstone can sometimes be a bit quicker i.e. during/after copse. Bit of a stretch on the hanger straight though. 

One question I have looking at the onboard telemetry is if the brake sensor is purely on/off, or if there genuinely is no modulation of brake pressure going on? I suspect it's the former but I'd be interested if anyone knows?

Teams probably don't want to give out the precise brake pressure telemetry data, so it just shows when the driver is pressing it, but not showing the pedal travel or anything. Looks rather silly when a driver barely tap it to correct the car, but the TV telemetry shows 100% pressure lol

Just now, ragequit1 said:

Teams probably don't want to give out the precise brake pressure telemetry data, so it just shows when the driver is pressing it, but not showing the pedal travel or anything. Looks rather silly when a driver barely tap it to correct the car, but the TV telemetry shows 100% pressure lol

There is more detailed telemetry for the accelerator though? Maybe the brake is different as it's a mechanical linkage rather than an electronic one (I think).

12 minutes ago, Rango said:

I've found that not shifting up to 8th at Silverstone can sometimes be a bit quicker i.e. during/after copse. Bit of a stretch on the hanger straight though. 

This could be an explanation. Thanks.

4 minutes ago, Ultra3142 said:

There is more detailed telemetry for the accelerator though? Maybe the brake is different as it's a mechanical linkage rather than an electronic one (I think).

I think this video explains the brakes pretty well:

• Like 1

During last week's British GP he used 8th gear just like any other driver in the field:

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, ragequit1 said:

I think this video explains the brakes pretty well:

I like Chain Bear's videos and this is one I hadn't watched yet. Interesting, although it doesn't answer my brake telemetry question.

• Like 1

My guess would be that due to some secrecy, all the media gets is just a sensor when the brake is engaged and that's it. They must have their reasons.

5 minutes ago, ragequit1 said:

My guess would be that due to some secrecy, all the media gets is just a sensor when the brake is engaged and that's it. They must have their reasons.

Why wouldn't the same be true for the accelerator though?

The tv broadcast is a bit of a mess. Visual footage, audio and telemetry are all a bit out of sync with each other.

4 minutes ago, Ultra3142 said:

I don't know. Some theory says that the brakes are rather pressure sensitive and not position based, which would make sense to me, but again, I can't find any definite answer.

To add to the discussion, though the gearbox is "spec" for al the teams in some aspects, they all have big margins for customization. Gearing is one of them.

Before the start of a season the teams send the FIA a list with a set of gearings they will be using for the whole calendar. So each team has different gear ratios on their cars, with different power and torque curves and all. From FIA's technical regs:

image.png.8c8fa24d81565ccc53a5f378731aa038.png

So what is a 4th gear bit for an Alfa Romeo may be a 3rd gear full throttle for an Alpha Tauri. And that's not considering driver skills, preferences and circumstances.

This, and the list of parts open to fiddling for the teams is quite impressive:

image.png.ff5d47f4678ae3cdd60fe941bcd50e6e.png

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Ultra3142 said:

Marc Priestley talked about it in one of his videos. I don't remember the details but it definitely had something to do with the fact that a graph like that for the brakes could reveal a lot about the build and setup of the brakes while the accelerators are far more simple and basically the same for everyone.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1