F1 2020 Forum Championship SPACES AVAILABLE Read more... ×

Racing Rigs - Share Yours!

In my never-ending quest to prove to myself (and my wife!!!) that the better the equipment you have the better you become* I am now looking to buy a racing seat. I like the look of the Playseat F1. Does anyone out there have one? What are your impressions?

* This theory needs to work as I have already had one failure when a £1000 Ovation guitar didn't turn me into Eric Clapton overnight!!!

Playseat.jpg

Hi,

There are a few options but all I can say it’s that the F1 Playseat is a really nice racing seat. The position is ideal for racing a F1 of course and you feel very confortably installed, although you can suffer from pain into your back if you stay too long. Of course, this is expensive but it’s really worth your money.

C312E9E9-3F85-4062-913A-AAAECEEC1D8D.thumb.jpeg.4e651e078e11d075751bbda0af9ae427.jpeg

• Like 3

Is it bad that I’m thinking about what possessions I can sell rn? :classic_laugh:

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, Lurtz said:

* This theory needs to work as I have already had one failure when a £1000 Ovation guitar didn't turn me into Eric Clapton overnight!!!

Oh, I can see where it went wrong. You dumped your cash in the wrong item.

It was the cocaine all alonge, babe. 

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, marioho said:

Oh, I can see where it went wrong. You dumped your cash in the wrong item.

It was the cocaine all alonge, babe. 

Well, actually, that was a reason it wasn't a £2500 Les Paul....... 😉 😊

Posted (edited)

I see one possible flaw with that seat. It has a similar basic design as the Playseat Evolution that I have. The wheel mount gets in the way of my legs. I have my pedal set mounted dead center because I use both feet to brake with, depending on what game and game mode I play, and my braking leg is touching the pillar for the mount all the time. It gets quite uncomfortable after a while.

To minimize this I've had to mount the wheel a bit lower and closer to me than I would like. If i set the wheel where I want it it get's even more uncomfortable for my legs and feet.

Perhaps the F1 seat is better in this way, just giving you a warning that having the mount in between the legs might cause some issues.

I'm planning to redesign this and weld some pillars on the sides instead. Or I just might sell it and get a better seat in the future.

Edited by Lakrits
Misspelled
  • Agree 1

I don't have the F1 seat but I do have the Sensation Pro. It's more expensive and in a more traditional GT/Rally position.

I tried out both back in the olden days when people were allowed to visit the Codemasters office, and found the F1 seating position a little uncomfortable so I went with the Sensation pro for my rig.

The main benefit other than it being a permanent solution is that it's well-made, and can handle the high force-feedback a decent wheel produces. It's not like you're on a desk and it's rattling everywhere, very solid 🙂 

Sim Rig.jpg

• Like 1

2 hours ago, PJTierney said:

F1 seating position a little uncomfortable

You’re right PJ.

With the F1 seat, you have a real immersion and everything is easier, especially for braking and accelerating but your back is so well maintained. This position is perfect but a little bit uncomfortable when you play longer sessions where you can have some pain at your back although at first it is very confortable.

1 hour ago, RS Phil said:

This position is perfect but a little bit uncomfortable when you play longer sessions where you can have some pain at your back although at first it is very confortable.

@RS Phil - like you I run 100% race length so your comment about back pain is a concern. Do you find it is upper or lower back? Do you find the centre support for your wheel an issue for your legs as @Lakrits has mentioned with his Evolution?

This is more located at the back because you can’t really move it. This is not a pain but rather something not confortable on 100% races but you get used to it at the end.

I had a Playseat Evolution before and the center support is much stronger but yes this can be an issue if you want to brake with your right foot like on the Evolution. For me, this is not a problem since I’m used to left foot brake. The position of your legs makes it more precise than on the Evolution. Combined with a loadcell brake, this is fantastic. Really.

• Thanks 1

I have absolute zero knowledge about sim racing rigs, but as someone who works sitting and dabbles with physical activity here and there, wouldn't it be worth of consideration your overall fitness when choosing a seat?

Honest question as that is something that may help me when making a buying decision down the (long, long) road.

I'm sure these rigs are way more comfortable than a real car cockpit to account precisely for that, but seat structural comfort aside much of our ability to cope with long periods in this or that position is dictated by our body fitness, isn't it? You obviously don't need to do push-ups and pull ups or enroll in a advanced fitness program to play, but maybe the difference between Player A being totally comfortable in one of those F1-like seats while Player B can barely do a hotlap in one without discomfort in their back is in their body.

I think I am convinced. I use left foot braking with my Club Sport V3 pedals so the centre support doesn't sound like an issue. Thanks for your advice @RS Phil.

• Agree 1

@marioho - yes I did think about that. I am wondering if the next step will be to attach a hoist to the ceiling to help me get in and out of the rig!!!

• Haha 3

This is what I use:

f-gt_gallery_1-3.png

I don't have the wheels as I don't need to move it around. The pillow is useless.

Overall it's very sturdy and has pre-drilled holes for the most common gear. Mine is an early production model that has a few small design flaws but they seem to have been rectified. You can change it to a more classic upward "GT" position if you like.

I've been doing 14 hour sessions with no problems that would've been caused by the seat. The back support has in fact molded to replicate my body structure: I can see clearly on the seat where my spine and shoulder blades are while driving.

I'm very slim and fit, but still the first few times getting in and out of the cockpit was surely a sight to behold. Nowadays it's like putting a sock on, but I can imagine the whole process being an uncomfortable challenge for someone with a more expansive body build.

If you really get into it, you can upgrade and expand the cockpit with various parts, but I don't really see a point unless you need a stick shifter and/or a handbrake.

Assembling the cockpit alone was a serious chore. With everything adjusted I think it took me like ten hours. The reason for this was that there were some stupidities in the assembly design, which made it really hard to do solo. I can see in the pictures that the most annoying things have been corrected, so that's good.

Must be said, however, that after getting a new wheel & pedal set yesterday, I haven't been able to set up the pedals so that I would feel comfortable. With the previous set it was absolutely perfect. Maybe I'll still come up with something though.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, janbonator said:

I've been doing 14 hour sessions

😳

• Agree 1

Posted (edited)

and there's me struggling to get the rear end seat stand for this... 😂😂

20190423_123556.jpg

Edited by Rango
  • Like 1

On 8/8/2020 at 1:42 PM, Lurtz said:

In my never-ending quest to prove to myself (and my wife!!!) that the better the equipment you have the better you become* I am now looking to buy a racing seat. I like the look of the Playseat F1. Does anyone out there have one? What are your impressions?

Playseat.jpg

I use the next level racing f1gt it’s more versatile, as you can adjust it for sports cars, it’s formula config is not quite as close to the real thing as the playseat, but keep in mind that because of the center post heal to toe is almost impossible. Personally if I were going to spend that money on a dedicated f1 seat I’d check out the reseat formula, a bit more money but a lot more quality. And it is 100 percent accurate.

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, Rango said:

and there's me struggling to get the rear end seat stand for this... 😂😂

20190423_123556.jpg

It is worth it if you can. I use the gtomega classic wheel stand, which is the same as in your picture (other companies appearto sell the same design), with the rear seat frame added. Makes it a full cockpit, and the gtomega seats for it are also really comfortable.

20200808_130504.thumb.jpg.1fa2c235040d6673b8110ad4d88f7415.jpg

20200724_235434.jpg.b73b84023a80907b6d0f35d44d279b77.thumb.jpg.b697d735b0651f638c2fb59f00c3e4ff.jpg

20200321_140804.jpg.cb3ad17e38b6c293f161eb19bddecc9b.thumb.jpg.93003ab78acf6a9718b094d54833a162.jpg

Edit: i have no idea why the 2nd and 3rd pics are upside down, the forum has flipped them for some reason.

Fixed now.

Edited by Ialyrn
Pictures showing upside down and also not deleting from the post!
  • Like 4

7 minutes ago, Lurtz said:

@pbrstreetgangkt is "reseat formula" a typo?

Should be Rseat.

Those things are beautiful and look really comfortable. I thought about it briefly a few years ago, but went for the F1GT because I also love rallying. Less than half the price was also a strong argument.

I have the Playseat F1, and I think it's fantastic.  I don't have many opportunities to play for very long in one sitting, but on the occasion where I am able to play for a couple hours I am never left feeling sore or fatigued.  Quite the opposite actually - I wish I could play for longer at the end of a session.  It's comfortable, and really does give a great sense of immersion (as I'm sure most rig setups would).  Prior to the rig I had my wheel mounted to a TV tray that I would slide in front of the couch.  That was fine, but the experience was dramatically changed after I got the rig.  You feel like you're in the car, it's solid, and the fact my eye-line was much lower in combination with sitting closer to the television actually really helped with on-track car placement.  The sense of enjoyment when playing a racing game improved dramatically when I first got my wheel, and I would say that sense of enjoyment was duplicated when I experienced my rig for the first time too.

My only real complaint is that the seat doesn't breathe, so my back is usually sweaty at the end of a session.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

@Ialyrn that does look good! You use the same app I do too. Hoping to get one but they're like gold dust! Seat looks great. Slightly jealous now haha 

Thanks @DiGuB. That is another tick in the Playseat column.

@Ialyrn - what monitors are you using in the triple setup?

Posted (edited)
30 minutes ago, Lurtz said:

Thanks @DiGuB. That is another tick in the Playseat column.

@Ialyrn - what monitors are you using in the triple setup?

The central screen is a 24 inch aoc g2590px 1080p 144hz monitor with gsync compatible freesync (tested by nvidia), it is my main monitor and was purchased prior to the side monitors.

The side minitors are 24 inch iiyama g2530hsu-b1 monitors. 75hz with freesync (not tested by nvidia, but i have had zero issues using gsync on them).

Obviously there is a slight colour mismatch from not been identical monitors, but i got such a good deal on the 2 side monitors, that i can live with a very slight colour mismatch. The benifit in non vr racing games has been so worth it.

I run with nv surround at a bazel corrected resolution of 5840x1080 at 60hz.

I do have the hardware to push higher fps in triples, but i dont mind 60fps for racing games. My pc is an i7 10700k, rtx 2070 super, 16gb 3200mhz ddr4. So triples at 1080p 60fps isnt stressing my system at all.

Edited by Ialyrn