F1 2020 | PODIUM PASS SERIES 2 NOW LIVE| READ ME!!! Read more... ×
F1 2020 | CODEMASTERS PC FORUM CHAMPIONSHIP | LOOKING FOR DRIVERS Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  

F1 2020 do you use an fps cap or not?

Posted (edited)

Hey,  Wanted to ask what is the score with capping you fps when racing on pc using a wheel (Thrustmaster TS XW Racer)?  I play my F1 game in 4K @ 60fps however when playing around with the settings i noticed their is a distinct difference in ffb and consistency when either not using the in game fps cap or when using the nvidia fps cap (in the nvidia control panel).  I feel its much better and more responsive without but obviously then have to deal with stuttering on my 4K 60hz tv..

Im curious to peoples thoughts/opinions on this?

Edited by auzzyboy
added info

I play on a 4k 60hz HDR TV but at 1440p resolution with uncapped frame rate - typically sits about 130-180fps (overclocked 1080Ti).

That feels the smoothest for me, much better than capping at 60, and I honestly can't see the frame tearing even when I'm looking for it.

I haven't tried capping with the NVidia software but I have tried with RivaTuner which is better than the in game cap for sure.

I capture with NVIDIA GeForce when recording content for official videos.

On my PC (i7/8700k, 1080ti) I can't quite get a locked 4k60 at Ultra so I go for a 1440p60 instead.

That leaves plenty of overhead for the capture software and anything else I need to run, but also the screen on my rig only goes up to 60fps anyways so no need for the extra frames.

Posted (edited)
19 hours ago, JesseDeya said:

I play on a 4k 60hz HDR TV but at 1440p resolution with uncapped frame rate - typically sits about 130-180fps (overclocked 1080Ti).

That feels the smoothest for me, much better than capping at 60, and I honestly can't see the frame tearing even when I'm looking for it.

I haven't tried capping with the NVidia software but I have tried with RivaTuner which is better than the in game cap for sure.

I'm rite their with you and i too don't notice any screen tearing however when looking in the distance at tress, buildings etc i can see i distracting amount of stuttering which can hurt my eyes after a while.  For now I'm going to leave it uncapped as the wheel responsiveness/ffb seems far better but not sure what an alternative is besides a higher hz tv/monitor.. PC its all spend spend spend HA!

Edited by auzzyboy
mistake

Posted (edited)
12 hours ago, PJTierney said:

the screen on my rig only goes up to 60fps anyways so no need for the extra frames

That's not entirely true. Extra frames with Vysnc off will make the game look and feel more responsive, even if the total frames exceed the display hz. It's not a placebo, there is actual science behind it 🙂

Your mileage may vary with respect to screen tearing, I personally don't get it too bad on my Samsung TV, but given the TV is adds 21ms of latency in game-mode already (which is pretty good tbh) I'm happy to reduce any additional latency from 16.7ms to (ie: 5-7ms) by seeking higher frame rates.

This is worth a watch in it's entirety, but I have timestamped to the most relevant bit:

54 minutes ago, auzzyboy said:

For now I'm going to leave it uncapped as the wheel responsiveness/ffb seems far better but not sure what an alternative is besides a higher hz tv/monitor.. PC its all spend spend spend HA!

Yeah, I think I'm going to cap at 120fps with RivaTuner or Nvidia, just to eliminate the variation of frame rate (I get >120fps during game play). I also need to better understand NVidia's Fast Sync, and Low Latency Modes.

A quick check shows fast sync doesn't work for DX12 titles, so I'm going to do some back to back with DX12 with normal Vsync and DX11 with normal and fast Vsync.

Edited by JesseDeya
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
42 minutes ago, JesseDeya said:

That's not entirely true. Extra frames with Vysnc off will make the game look and feel more responsive, even if the total frames exceed the display hz. It's not a placebo, there is actual science behind it 🙂

Your mileage may vary with respect to screen tearing, I personally don't get it too bad on my Samsung TV, but given the TV is adds 21ms of latency in game-mode already (which is pretty good tbh) I'm happy to reduce any additional latency from 16.7ms to (ie: 5-7ms) by seeking higher frame rates.

This is worth a watch in it's entirety, but I have timestamped to the most relevant bit:

Yeah, I think I'm going to cap at 120fps with RivaTuner or Nvidia, just to eliminate the variation of frame rate (I get >120fps during game play). I also need to better understand NVidia's Fast Sync, and Low Latency Modes.

A quick check shows fast sync doesn't work for DX12 titles, so I'm going to do some back to back with DX12 with normal Vsync and DX11 with normal and fast Vsync.

Thanks for the info.  I'd be interested to hear what your verdict is when trying nvidia vs in game vs rtss once you have had a play with differnet settings.  I myself did the same and came to the conclusion that leaving the fps uncapped was best.  However I did notice a difference in 'feel' in the wheel when using the nvidia (only tried this at capped at 60fps, I'm now intruiged about capping it above the 60hz tv to see if it improves with the reduce latency).. it's strange but as mentioned I prefer to leave the cap off as the Input latency is reduced which is I guess why the wheels ffb feels so different

Edited by auzzyboy

I've capped it to 144, as that's my monitor's refresh rate. Then I just make FreeSync do the work for me and hopefully I won't notice 😛 

• Agree 1

I had a play with this last night and think I found what was causing the ffb & stuttering issue.

Before upgrading my gpu i used to run my games in 1080p on a gtx 1060 however now that I run them in 4k I think iam limited to 60hz via the hdmi cable.. it is a hdmi 2.2 but I don't think it is a 4k @ 120hz cable?

Reverted my game back to 1080p to test this (uncapped frames) and the stutter dissapeared.

Next step is to upgrade my hdmi cable (tv doesnt have a display port cable) and go from their.  I would be happy to run a 2k but for some strange reason the tv will only run at 30hz in 2k so I have to create a custom resolution in the windows settings which always seems to be erased once their is a windows update so I would rather avoid the frustration of that.

I'll switch the cable and update my findings 🙂

23 hours ago, PJTierney said:

I capture with NVIDIA GeForce when recording content for official videos.

On my PC (i7/8700k, 1080ti) I can't quite get a locked 4k60 at Ultra so I go for a 1440p60 instead.

That leaves plenty of overhead for the capture software and anything else I need to run, but also the screen on my rig only goes up to 60fps anyways so no need for the extra frames.

You invested so much money in the rig and you couldn't buy a decent 144 Hz display?! 🤔

2 hours ago, Alon78 said:

You invested so much money in the rig and you couldn't buy a decent 144 Hz display?! 🤔

I ain't paying for one at 43" yet, and I mainly play on Xbox 😉 

My main PC monitor is 27inch/144hz/1440p, but that's on the desk.

As soon as Samsung or somebody makes a decent 144hz 43" 4K monitor that doesn't cost a fortune, I'll consider it 😄 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, Alon78 said:

Yes i much prefer a large 49" 4k tv to race on than a small monitor, i do have a 27" 144hz monitor but I only use that if I'm playing some fps with friends..

• Agree 1

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, auzzyboy said:

I would be happy to run a 2k but for some strange reason the tv will only run at 30hz in 2k so I have to create a custom resolution in the windows settings which always seems to be erased once their is a windows update so I would rather avoid the frustration of that.🙂

I have found a fix for this, simply turn on your tv's UHD settings if possible and nvidia/windows will then allow the tv to run in 2k at 60hz.

Like Jesse Deya I will also run my games at 2k uncapped as thats seems to be the sweet spot between good visuals and low input lag.  My hdmi cable can achieve the higher refresh rate at this resolution so I'm all sorted.

🙂

Edited by auzzyboy

@PJTierney @auzzyboy After much testing I’ve landed on a configuration that is providing me very smooth low latency frame delivery, but importantly has consistent frame pacing.

In a nutshell it’s using the scan line option in Riva Tuner, which is superior to vsync (even fast sync) or simply using a frame cap but is a little more work to dial in (worth it). 

I’ll post a full how-to when I get home tonight, but for those of us without freesync/gsync monitors/TVs who don’t want the extra lag of V-sync, don’t want frame pacing issues and don’t want screen tearing this is an excellent option.

• Like 1