F1 2020 | PODIUM PASS SERIES 2 NOW LIVE| READ ME!!! Read more... ×
F1 2020 | CODEMASTERS PC FORUM CHAMPIONSHIP | LOOKING FOR DRIVERS Read more... ×

Qualifying tires / Tires to start the race

I'm missing / forgetting something obvious I'm sure..

I was under the impressions if you reach Q3 you start the race on the tires you set your fastest Q3 lap with?

However I did 1 Q3 lap and was happy with the time so went back to garage. 

I'm starting on 30% worn softs?

Now, I went back out in Q2 to secure top ten, so that's the only set that could be anywhere near that level of worn. 

I start on Q2 tires? Or am I'm missing something obvious? 

The game is following the rules of real F1. The top 10 start on the tyres they set their fastest time with in Q2. I assume it's done this way so they have a way to make a starting tyre choice, without depriving spectators/viewers of Q3 being an absolute fastest time shoot-out on the fastest tyre compound.

Just now, Ultra3142 said:

The game is following the rules of real F1. The top 10 start on the tyres they set their fastest time with in Q2. I assume it's done this way so they have a way to make a starting tyre choice, without depriving spectators/viewers of Q3 being an absolute fastest time shoot-out on the fastest tyre compound.

Riiiiight,  knacked myself going back out on the same tires in Q2, that's fine as long as it's a lesson learned for next time. 

Thanks mate. 

A tutorial vid on this in game would be nice. 

8 minutes ago, KNT2011 said:

A tutorial vid on this in game would be nice. 

Watch some real F1 :classic_smile:.

(I do still think a proper manual for the game would be helpful though.)

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Ultra3142 said:

Watch some real F1 :classic_smile:.

(I do still think a proper manual for the game would be helpful though.)

Not even that, just add another tutorial vid in the menu explaining full qualifying, same as it explains all the practice sessions, would be perfectly fine. 

I'm sure I'm not the only one it would help. 

While I can watch bits and pieces these days, and keep up with the news to some degree,  watching real life Qualy and things is not really possible. 

3 second Google search, first hit, quote from the Wikipedia:

"Drivers may complete as many laps as they choose. However, the top ten drivers must start the race on the set of tyres they used during their fastest lap time in the second qualifying period. These may only be changed if qualifying and the race are held under different weather conditions, or if a tyre is damaged as a result of an accident. The remaining ten drivers are free to start the race with any tyres they choose."

17 minutes ago, ragequit1 said:

3 second Google search, first hit, quote from the Wikipedia:

"Drivers may complete as many laps as they choose. However, the top ten drivers must start the race on the set of tyres they used during their fastest lap time in the second qualifying period. These may only be changed if qualifying and the race are held under different weather conditions, or if a tyre is damaged as a result of an accident. The remaining ten drivers are free to start the race with any tyres they choose."

The user above answered the question with patience and good humour. 

There is no need for your input. 

54 minutes ago, KNT2011 said:

The user above answered the question with patience and good humour. 

There is no need for your input. 

You're welcome.

• Disagree 2