F1 2021 | Arrives July 16 | First Look Here Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  

The PC Thread

yeah you definitely get more efficiency from liquid cooling but computers with it also need more maintenance and that's the hard part not particularly good if you have physical disabilities because it leaves you having to struggle to do it or pay someone to do it as was in my case on my old system. At least with air cooling it's just a case of dusting it down once in a while which is easy.

For gaming? No it's not. Really more of a multi media gpu. Nvidia are releasing new gpu's soon so you might want to wait to see what the prices are for the midrange cards (if that's what you want) or for people to sell their 700 series cards. A 760 is pretty cheap and give pretty good performance for the price. When it comes to buying a gpu looking for the cheapest isn't really the best thing to do, as it's the most important part you'll only end up needing to upgrade sooner.

Hughesy said:
For gaming? No it's not. Really more of a multi media gpu. Nvidia are releasing new gpu's soon so you might want to wait to see what the prices are for the midrange cards (if that's what you want) or for people to sell their 700 series cards. A 760 is pretty cheap and give pretty good performance for the price. When it comes to buying a gpu looking for the cheapest isn't really the best thing to do, as it's the most important part you'll only end up needing to upgrade sooner.
I'm using a 6670 at the moment had it about 2 years just looking for something better.

Well if you really don't want to spend too much then get a 650ti but the 700 series is a lot more efficient. The 750ti uses less power than  a 6670 buts a lot more powerful. For a big upgrade a 760 would be a massive upgrade and not too expensive if you shop around.

Hughesy said:
Well if you really don't want to spend too much then get a 650ti but the 700 series is a lot more efficient. The 750ti uses less power than  a 6670 buts a lot more powerful. For a big upgrade a 760 would be a massive upgrade and not too expensive if you shop around.
So a Nvidia 750ti?

Edit: Too expensive for me $200 or more over here.

Not sure what that's equals in £ but here you can get them for £100 new which isn't much for a gpu (the most important part for a PC) and probably a lot less used. It's up to  you what you buy but because of the new consoles, games are going to use a lot more power. It hard for me to recommend a card for your budget as because of the price differences in countries. What's the max you want to spend though?

Hughesy said:
Not sure what that's equals in £ but here you can get them for £100 new which isn't much for a gpu (the most important part for a PC) and probably a lot less used. It's up to  you what you buy but because of the new consoles, games are going to use a lot more power. It hard for me to recommend a card for your budget as because of the price differences in countries. What's the max you want to spend though?
Equals 111 pounds, max up price range up to $150 AUD.

Edit: This one looks alright.

For that price it's pretty good and if that's the max you want to spend then go for it bud, but if it was me I'd spend a bit longer saving up to buy a 750ti, but a 650ti is still a good card vs a 6670 ;)

Hughesy said:
For that price it's pretty good and if that's the max you want to spend then go for it bud, but if it was me I'd spend a bit longer saving up to buy a 750ti, but a 650ti is still a good card vs a 6670 ;)
I'd be able to afford the 750ti on Monday so i'll wait to then :) thanks for the help.

No problem. You may still want to read a bunch of reviews as some say the 750ti isn't that much better than a 650ti. I'm not great on lower end cards as I've only ever looked at high end gpu's. It'll depend on what version you get. I've seen 760s at around the price of 750ti, either way it should be a good upgrade over a 6670. 

Hughesy said:
No problem. You may still want to read a bunch of reviews as some say the 750ti isn't that much better than a 650ti. I'm not great on lower end cards as I've only ever looked at high end gpu's. It'll depend on what version you get. I've seen 760s at around the price of 750ti, either way it should be a good upgrade over a 6670. 
Yeah been checking the reviews between the 750 and 650, the 750 is the better of the two.

Hughesy said:
So a Nvidia 750ti?

Edit: Too expensive for me $200 or more over here.
yeah I agree with @Hughesy the 700 series are probably the best ones to go with right now if you want to at least keep up with the new consoles. You may get away with running low detail level settings on the 600 cards but they are old now and are near the bottom end of the ladder you  may be able to get games to run low to medium on a 600 still (depending on the card) but forget about high as that won't happen not with the new gen  games.  It is ultimately your decision as you know your budget but take Hughesy's advice and shop around and see if you can find any 700 series cards in your price range before deciding.

It would be nice if you could get that 760 for around that price as it would be a steal! Like I said about the x50 the 740 isn't a gaming card,  it's meant for watching high def movies so I wouldn't touch them. If you think the 650ti is enough for you then get it, but if you could get that or any 760 it would blow your socks off compared to what you have. What res do you play your games at or are hoping to? If it's 1080p I'd strongly recommend no less than a 760.

Hughesy said:
It would be nice if you could get that 760 for around that price as it would be a steal! Like I said about the x50 the 740 isn't a gaming card,  it's meant for watching high def movies so I wouldn't touch them. If you think the 650ti is enough for you then get it, but if you could get that or any 760 it would blow your socks off compared to what you have. What res do you play your games at or are hoping to? If it's 1080p I'd strongly recommend no less than a 760.
Yeah 1080

Well then I'd advise getting no less than a 760, although it does depend on the games you play. New games are going to hit gpu's hard due to new consoles. I think reviews are out today for Nvidia's 900 sereis cards (800 was skipped) although I think it's only 970 & 980s with lower cards coming later, so you might find the 700 series prices going down. I suspect people will sell their 760 upto 780s so you might find a good deal if you wait a bit which would also give you more time to save ;)

Hughesy said:
Well then I'd advise getting no less than a 760, although it does depend on the games you play. New games are going to hit gpu's hard due to new consoles. I think reviews are out today for Nvidia's 900 sereis cards (800 was skipped) although I think it's only 970 & 980s with lower cards coming later, so you might find the 700 series prices going down. I suspect people will sell their 760 upto 780s so you might find a good deal if you wait a bit which would also give you more time to save ;)
Ok thanks gonna have a look around again next week.

Edit: I'll be doing most of my gaming on the PS4 haven't gamed on the PC for a while but when i do its mainly Race07, LFD2 and HL2 etc so looking at a mid entry card?

Hughesy said:
Well those games don't need much power so a 6-750ti or 760 would be fine ;)
Checked out the 740 on Nvidias site and he got rated the lowest so won't bother bout the 740s, currently checking other manufacturers.

Hughesy said:
Checked out the 740 on Nvidias site and he got rated the lowest so won't bother bout the 740s, currently checking other manufacturers.
Yea I'm not surprised as its not a card for gaming, neither is a 750. The ti version is but only for low res really. 760 and above is what you'd really want to play games at 1080p. I'm not sure what AMD cards are like but they're normally cheaper, I haven't had one since owning a 6950.
I've forced myself to stop upgrading my GPU so much as I was pretty much buying one yearly lol. I do game at a very high res though (2560x1440p) but I'm hoping my 780 will last atleast another year/year & half. I've stopped caring too much about the very best graphics as gaming at 1440p compared to 1080p is amazing and so clear.

Hughesy said:
Hughesy said:
Yea I'm not surprised as its not a card for gaming, neither is a 750. The ti version is but only for low res really. 760 and above is what you'd really want to play games at 1080p. I'm not sure what AMD cards are like but they're normally cheaper, I haven't had one since owning a 6950.
I've forced myself to stop upgrading my GPU so much as I was pretty much buying one yearly lol. I do game at a very high res though (2560x1440p) but I'm hoping my 780 will last atleast another year/year & half. I've stopped caring too much about the very best graphics as gaming at 1440p compared to 1080p is amazing and so clear.
Are any of those cards i listed better than the 6670?

Only the 650ti and the 760. I'm not sure how much better that 650ti is compared to your card as it doesn't seem to have an actual make ie Asus or msi. That 760 would be a massive upgrade compared to what you have, but like I said I'm not that knowledgeable on low end cards. If you want a big upgrade then the 760 is your best bet. The only thing you can do is keep reading reviews as that's the only proper way you can work out if the price is worth the upgrade you want. I always read reviews from guru3d.com as they do charts comparing it to other cards.

Hughesy said:
Only the 650ti and the 760. I'm not sure how much better that 650ti is compared to your card as it doesn't seem to have an actual make ie Asus or msi. That 760 would be a massive upgrade compared to what you have, but like I said I'm not that knowledgeable on low end cards. If you want a big upgrade then the 760 is your best bet. The only thing you can do is keep reading reviews as that's the only proper way you can work out if the price is worth the upgrade you want. I always read reviews from guru3d.com as they do charts comparing it to other cards.
Might just keep the 6670 for the time being as it can still playing those other games fairly well, also looking at upgrading the M/B and ram so might do some research into that. I have that website saved and will use it to compared different components :)