F1 2021 | Arrives July 16 | First Look Here Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  

The PC Thread

That's not the problem though especially as I have a high end PC. It's a major problem that a lot of people are having. I can't play as it'll crash mid way through a mission. Proper pissed off right now! It seems like a great game and runs at a constant 60fps... 

Hughesy said:
Shadow of mordor keeps crashing on me    :s Seems to be happening to a lot of people...
Let's hope it gets patched up soon then
It's a high demanding game i think sharp.
so is Watchdogs but I haven't had that crash on me. I don't think being necessarily high spec has anything to do with it. As I have an old game called Star Trek Bridge  Commander and that can be unstable at times it's down to how it's programmed I think.

Ok I don't want to jinx myself but "I think" I've fixed the crashing in Shadow Of Mordor. I did two things 1. Set my overclocked gpu back to what it came as, even though I've had it overclocked since I bought it over a year ago. 2. Stopped using MSI afterburner for ingame monitoring of temps, usage and so on... So far it seems ok, so let's hope that has fixed it as the game is great! I'm not sure which one of those things did the trick and can't be bothered to find out, I'm just happy it seems to be working  B)

It's here! Got a few things to do first this morning, but I'll post more pictures and some comparison benchmarks once it's all set up and running :D 

This card is amazing :) So happy with it! So here's a bunch of pictures and some benchmarks :)

First benchmark with 3DMark, my GTX 770 had me around 7100.

Everything maxed out

Everything maxed with DSR enabled at 1440p

Everything maxed out

Everything maxed with DSR enabled at 4K

In the F1 pic do you mean 4k or 1440p? Either way good results bud although downsampling isn't anywhere near as demanding as running the actual res. It does show how dated the F1 graphics are though.  

Hughesy said:
In the F1 pic do you mean 4k or 1440p? Either way good results bud although downsampling isn't anywhere near as demanding as running the actual res. It does show how dated the F1 graphics are though.  
Full 4K for F1 :) And they sure as hell are outdated dude. It's probably gonna be around the same too on Grid Autosport I think though.

Figured something out with Tomb Raider since that benchmark, I forgot to turn off AA ;p So with AA off, and TressFX off too, it's around 65FPS average at 1620p :D 

The only thing now is that I've run into an issue that others have too. It seems on some games (Metro Redux and Crysis 3 atm but Batman AC has PhysX issues too) the driver crashes, and then I have to restart because loading any other game just crashes too. Apparently the only workaround atm is to switch PhysX onto CPU instead, but that's a little annoying! Hoping now that they sort that out in the next drivers.

Hughesy said:
Full 4K for F1 :) And they sure as hell are outdated dude. It's probably gonna be around the same too on Grid Autosport I think though.

Figured something out with Tomb Raider since that benchmark, I forgot to turn off AA ;p So with AA off, and TressFX off too, it's around 65FPS average at 1620p :D 

The only thing now is that I've run into an issue that others have too. It seems on some games (Metro Redux and Crysis 3 atm but Batman AC has PhysX issues too) the driver crashes, and then I have to restart because loading any other game just crashes too. Apparently the only workaround atm is to switch PhysX onto CPU instead, but that's a little annoying! Hoping now that they sort that out in the next drivers.
The joys of PC gaming bud :( I'm just glad I've stopped Shadow of mordor from crashing. If you find games like ac and Batman too easy then this is the game for you. The amount of times I've died becasue I didn't plan attacks is insane...lol 

Hughesy said:
Hughesy said:

The joys of PC gaming bud :( I'm just glad I've stopped Shadow of mordor from crashing. If you find games like ac and Batman too easy then this is the game for you. The amount of times I've died becasue I didn't plan attacks is insane...lol 

Lol, you can say that again :p Good news on that :) I've had a look at some gameplay vids though and I don't think it's a game for me :p Atm I'm sat here looking at my games list and just wishing I could play Destiny on my pc lol.

Hughesy said:
Hughesy said:

Lol, you can say that again :p Good news on that :) I've had a look at some gameplay vids though and I don't think it's a game for me :p Atm I'm sat here looking at my games list and just wishing I could play Destiny on my pc lol.
But you have Batman and ac don't you? It's kinda like both those games mixed together. I'm not even a Lord of the rings fan but really enjoy it. Got it for £22 from greenmangaming as they always have awesome deals compared to steam (it's £30 on Steam) 

I do but neither are games I'm all that crazy about :p The only thing I really do on AC is sail around like a badass ;) 

Steam keys are the way to go! First place I usually check is CJS, but I'll normally check out a bunch of others too :) 

Scratching my head  ATM, the 980 was running at 30c earlier and now it's at 36c when idling... Gonna run a few scans and check power options, but do you have any suggestions bud?

I do but neither are games I'm all that crazy about :p The only thing I really do on AC is sail around like a badass ;) 

Steam keys are the way to go! First place I usually check is CJS, but I'll normally check out a bunch of others too :) 

Scratching my head  ATM, the 980 was running at 30c earlier and now it's at 36c when idling... Gonna run a few scans and check power options, but do you have any suggestions bud?
Yes I do and it's rather simple bud (sorry in advance if this seems patronising) if you've been playing for a while or had your PC on for a few hours then it'll idle higher than when you first used it bud ;) 36c is still really low for idle (anything below 40c is considered good) especially as you only have the standard cooler. Really though there's no need to worry about idle temps, only temps you should look at are when it's in use o:)

Lol, I get you bud :p But what I mean is that earlier, even after gaming it'd idle back down to 30c, but now even booting it after leaving it off for 30 mins it idles straight up to 36c and I'm not sure why :/ I'm just confused why it was happily at 30c for the first 7 hours, and now it won't go back down!
True on it still being OK though bud, but it does worry me a little that the highest temp I saw was 80c, but now it's 83... Damn computers!

Lol, I get you bud :p But what I mean is that earlier, even after gaming it'd idle back down to 30c, but now even booting it after leaving it off for 30 mins it idles straight up to 36c and I'm not sure why :/ I'm just confused why it was happily at 30c for the first 7 hours, and now it won't go back down!
True on it still being OK though bud, but it does worry me a little that the highest temp I saw was 80c, but now it's 83... Damn computers!
Even my 780 with the msi  twin Froz cooler goes upto 80c. Temps will go all over the place , even web browsing will make it go higher. I'm not sure why it's higher than it was before but it's nothing to worry about, but you could just use msi afterburner and set a custom fan profile. The max safe temp is 95c btw, have you overclocked the card at all? As that'll make temps higher. Also if your rooms even slightly hotter than earlier that can change temps.

Yea 80c is OK by me, but when it goes higher I can't help but wonder :p Got a custom fan profile set on Precision X ATM, but I'll play around a bit and see what I can do. No overclocking though, and if anything my room is colder now than earlier :p Just being picky about it really, new card and all that

I refuse to use Precision x, they stole the code from the bloke who created Afterburner. He gave them the license to certain things but after years working with him they told him they didn't want him anymore. A few weeks later precision X15 came out with all of his original source code. If you fancy  reading about it, it's on guru 3d. Now because Guru3d exposed the truth (also thanks to the bloke who created the source code) Evga won't send Guru3d gpu's to review....lol

Hughesy said:

Yes I do and it's rather simple bud (sorry in advance if this seems patronising) if you've been playing for a while or had your PC on for a few hours then it'll idle higher than when you first used it bud ;) 36c is still really low for idle (anything below 40c is considered good) especially as you only have the standard cooler. Really though there's no need to worry about idle temps, only temps you should look at are when it's in use o:)

I agree @Hughesy as that happens with my PC too

Hughesy said:
I refuse to use Precision x, they stole the code from the bloke who created Afterburner. He gave them the license to certain things but after years working with him they told him they didn't want him anymore. A few weeks later precision X15 came out with all of his original source code. If you fancy  reading about it, it's on guru 3d. Now because Guru3d exposed the truth (also thanks to the bloke who created the source code) Evga won't send Guru3d gpu's to review....lol
Ah man that's pretty damn cheeky. Normally Afterburner would be the first thing I would think to use, but using it on my TV PC a few months ago to lower the GPU fan speeds, it completely effed up the rest of the system. Only figured it out after uninstalling it and everything being perfect after that, so I haven't used it since. 

@sjsharp2010 Read the rest of my posts :p It was at idling at 30c earlier, even after gaming. But now, even after giving the system time to cool down, it's boots up and is straight to 36c, no matter what I do. I'm not doing anything different to earlier, yet it's now 6c higher and I don't know why.

@Hughesy Sweet! Just figured out that DSR works on desktop too :D Currently rocking the same res as you. How the hell can you see writing on the screen? ;)

You didn't answer if you've overclocked or not? Many factors come into play even if everything seems the same as earlier. If you read reviews they will say the same thing, getting the same readings of idle temps can be very hard that you've had before ;)

Hughesy said:
You didn't answer if you've overclocked or not? Many factors come into play even if everything seems the same as earlier. If you read reviews they will say the same thing, getting the same readings of idle temps can be very hard that you've had before ;)
I did dude, top post of this page :p No overclocking though, don't see any point with this card. Fair enough though, but I'm gonna spend the next few days trying everything I can to get the idle to drop ;) I'll let you know if I have any success or if I give up and fail :p 

Ah I missed that my bad. Not sure why you give a toss about idle temps as they mean absolutely nothing bud.  ;) did you create a custom fan profile before or after you read the idle temps before? I'd just enjoy your games with the card rather than worry about temps as 36 is low for a high end card with a reference cooler :p

The temps were at 30c before I created the fan profile. I actually set the fan to be slightly faster on idle, and a fair bit faster at 80c than stock. 

All good now though! Seems to be sorted :) Turns out it's having my refresh rate at 144hz that was doing it. I've dropped at to 120hz, but set Nvidia CP to use 144hz in games, and now it's hovering around 30c-31c :D I'm happy again!

Well yes that would do it lol you didn't tell me that :p  higher refresh rate means more frames being pushed, thus more heat o:) Glad you found out though bud, just for your sanity even though it didn't really matter. Hehe