F1 2021 | BETA | Details and how to Apply Here Read more... ×
FORUM MAINTENANCE | 11/05/2021 AM Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  

The PC Thread

Lol, it was something I just didn't think about :p Plus I kinda figured it wouldn't really make that much difference! Definitely glad for my sanity that it's back where I want it though, even dropping to 29c with no programs open :)

I'm starting to put a small amount back each time I'm paid, towards getting a new GPU o:) Maybe a 980ti or the next gen of cards. It all depends on the Vram, as I don't believe 4GB is enough for a high end card (especially at 1440p) Because of the consoles which use unified memory, devs could be lazy and not use ram properly. Nvidia always seem to be stingy with Vram compared to AMD.

Hughesy said:
I'm starting to put a small amount back each time I'm paid, towards getting a new GPU o:) Maybe a 980ti or the next gen of cards. It all depends on the Vram, as I don't believe 4GB is enough for a high end card (especially at 1440p) Because of the consoles which use unified memory, devs could be lazy and not use ram properly. Nvidia always seem to be stingy with Vram compared to AMD.
Got the upgrade bug I see ;) That'd be pretty badass though, we'd definitely have to try and outbench each other :p (Not weights AMS, I don't lift and I don't know if Hughesy does). 
Only trouble with AMD is the heat and power requirements are ridiculous! Can't say I know a huge amount about Vram. 13 months ago I still thought a GPU with 1GB was really good ;) Would you say I'll be ok with 4GB? And can you give me a basic explanation of what it really does for games?

Edit: Ran another benchmark, got a higher score just from running all case fans at max and the GPU not going over 71c :) 

You'll be fine with 4GB bud (should be anyway) as you only play at 1080p. Going up to 1440p uses a lot of vram. Vram basically is faster than Ram, and it's exclusively for the GPU. Normal Ram is shared by the whole system and is slower (also slower to access compared to Vram) The higher the res and graphics settings (ie textures) the more it'll use. Things like AA use a lot of VRAM. That's partly why the PS4 is more powerful than the X1, PS4 uses gddr5 which was really made for 3d gaming, whereas the X1 uses ddr3 ram like what you have in your PC. All good Gpu's use gddr5 now which is why it's so strange that M$ used normal ram.

I could go all geeky on you about it but that would take a lot longer to type :p

Later I'll post my results in the same benchmark as you to see how close I get to your results, did you just use the standard firestrike bench at 1080p?

Edit: I just remembered you don't change the setting on the standard one, just on custom.

Awesome, thanks dude that's probably the best explanation I've read about it! And yea it doesn't make sense for the X1 at all... I'd guess maybe they did it to keep costs down, but it was more expensive than the PS4 on launch :s 

Yup, standard Firestrike at 1080p :)

I'm not actually sure what res it's at for me as you can't change settings on the standard one but anyway here's my best result. Not too far behind considering I only have a 780 and i5 3570k

Only?! :p Your benchmark is like 2.5k above mine with the GTX 770 lol. Definitely an awesome rig you have there :)
Yea my GPU is overclocked as fuck lol It's why I bought the MSI Gaming one, as every review said it overclocked really high. It's still a gamble as every card is different but I definitely got a good one. It's on a par with a 780ti which is one of the reasons I didn't plump for a 980 :p It's just the 3GB of vram that'll let it down at some point. I won't upgrade until the 3GB isn't enough at 1440p as although I could drop to 1080p it would be a waste having such a nice 1440p monitor.

Team...

Is it possible to take the hard drive out my laptop, and put the hard drive from my old laptop in? Discovered the one in my current laptop is only 49GB and the other is 300b which explains why I have no space remaining....

Team...

Is it possible to take the hard drive out my laptop, and put the hard drive from my old laptop in? Discovered the one in my current laptop is only 49GB and the other is 300b which explains why I have no space remaining....
Depends on a number of factors.
I've done this before with varying success... On an older laptop it's possible, though you'll probably find you'll be missing 95% of the drivers you need. On a newer laptop the Windows key is built into the BIOS so it just won't recognise any other Windows installation. I'd say try it and see what happens, if won't harm your current hard drive, though it could mess up your old one a bit if you have to put it back into the old laptop. 

What I'd recommend though, is backing everything up onto external media, finding your recovery/Windows install disc, insert old hard drive, wipe it, and then install Windows fresh.

Team...

I've done this before with varying success... On an older laptop it's possible, though you'll probably find you'll be missing 95% of the drivers you need. On a newer laptop the Windows key is built into the BIOS so it just won't recognise any other Windows installation. I'd say try it and see what happens, if won't harm your current hard drive, though it could mess up your old one a bit if you have to put it back into the old laptop. 

What I'd recommend though, is backing everything up onto external media, finding your recovery/Windows install disc, insert old hard drive, wipe it, and then install Windows fresh.
Its a newish laptop, few years old :/

Thats what i was thinking of maybe doing. The old hard drive has been formatted and only gets used as an external hard drive so Windows would be easy enough to install. Where do i get this recover/Windows install disc? Would that have been given to me when i got the laptop?

Team...

Thats what i was thinking of maybe doing. The old hard drive has been formatted and only gets used as an external hard drive so Windows would be easy enough to install. Where do i get this recover/Windows install disc? Would that have been given to me when i got the laptop?
Yea, those bunch of discs that come with the laptop that most people think "eh, I'll never need this" before throwing in the bin... It would have been one of those :p
If you don't have it any more, I have a question that'll tell me what you have to do next. When you flip the laptop upside down is your Windows key written on a sticker there?

Team...

Yea, those bunch of discs that come with the laptop that most people think "eh, I'll never need this" before throwing in the bin... It would have been one of those :p
If you don't have it any more, I have a question that'll tell me what you have to do next. When you flip the laptop upside down is your Windows key written on a sticker there?
I don't think i chucked them in the bin, think they are sitting in my room somewhere :P 

There's a sticker that has Microsoft and barcodes? Its faded away a bit but still readable if thats it?

Does this speed up my laptop or anything? :L Or is that processor controlled? :L

Good good! The amount of people I've had come in and ask me to fix their laptop, only to find they threw out the discs is unreal :p 

It might be, what you're looking for is a code that looks kinda like 64356-64748-58393-73382-91738, if that's written underneath you can download an ISO of your Windows version from Microsoft themselves, use a tool they also provide to create a USB install disc, and install Windows from that onto the larger HDD.

If you can find the disc though then it becomes a lot easier! With that, all you need to do is put the larger HDD in, boot up the laptop and put the disc in, shut it down, boot it back up again and you'll be looking for 'boot options' or something similar on the very first page. Depending onyour laptops brand, it could be a number of different keys but for now let's just assume it's F12. Once you've pressed that it should give you a list of bootable devices, choose the disc drive and follow the instructions from there :) 

And it won't speed it up :p It'll only give you more space to play with. The only way really to speed up a laptop is to buy an SSD for it.

Good good! The amount of people I've had come in and ask me to fix their laptop, only to find they threw out the discs is unreal :p 

It might be, what you're looking for is a code that looks kinda like 64356-64748-58393-73382-91738, if that's written underneath you can download an ISO of your Windows version from Microsoft themselves, use a tool they also provide to create a USB install disc, and install Windows from that onto the larger HDD.

If you can find the disc though then it becomes a lot easier! With that, all you need to do is put the larger HDD in, boot up the laptop and put the disc in, shut it down, boot it back up again and you'll be looking for 'boot options' or something similar on the very first page. Depending onyour laptops brand, it could be a number of different keys but for now let's just assume it's F12. Once you've pressed that it should give you a list of bootable devices, choose the disc drive and follow the instructions from there :) 

And it won't speed it up :p It'll only give you more space to play with. The only way really to speed up a laptop is to buy an SSD for it.
God, you make it sound so easy! haha. Literally nothing goes smoothly with me and computers :L

God, you make it sound so easy! haha. Literally nothing goes smoothly with me and computers :L
I think you've just summed up computing some of it is easy some of it is tricky just depends on the situation.

What is the D drive for? Is that a separate drive from C?

D: drive is your disc drive as in the the drive you put your CD/DVD in

The C drive is the hard drive

Not always :p On mine my disc drive has been E: since the day I got it, D: was my recovery partition. And on my main PC D: is a 1TB drive where my games live :p My disc drive on that is something like G:

Not always :p On mine my disc drive has been E: since the day I got it, D: was my recovery partition. And on my main PC D: is a 1TB drive where my games live :p My disc drive on that is something like G:
Yeah mines always been E:

I was just speaking generally as my system is different too but then I have 2 optical drives in my desktop

my SSD is the C drive in mine my 3tb HDD is configured into 3 F: G: and H: my optical drives are D: and E:

F is used for my conventional games and the H drive is for my oldies the G drive is my  files drive where I keep other stuffsuch as vids music and cheats sometimes when I need them as well

my laptop is configured that way though