Sign in to follow this  

The PC Thread

Oooh. Would love to get some feedback from some people who know what they're doing like you guys.

CPU: AMD FX-6300 (Not over-clocked)
Graphics Card: 1x Sapphire AMD Radeon HD 7750 (Also not over-clocked)
Mobo: M5A97 R2.0
Ram: 1x 8GB Corsair 1600Mhz DDR3
HDD: 1x 1TB Western Digital Caviar Blue
Fan: Arctic Cooling Freezer 7 Pro Rev.2
PSU: Corsair 430W Bronze Plus...yadda yadda..
Screens: 1x 1080p TV, 2x (4:3) 1280 x 1024 screens. (SoftTH all the way! Other than new games :/)

Think that's it.

Was aiming for a budget rig to build last Christmas, building it myself, of course. Totaled around £400-500. 

If I were to upgrade, what needs it the most? Would love a SSD, but Price/GB is painful. And would love another GPU but my mobo would need replacing if I wanted to Crossfire efficiently. And more RAM isn't needed? Also don't know if overclocking is a good idea? Would it actually benefit me much? I really don't know whats best, so would be really great if someone could point me in the right direction. :D Thanks.
No need for more RAM, and your CPU is fine, the FX series are good for overclocking. Though with that cooler (I used the same one as a temp between switching from AMD to Intel) I wouldn't recommend overclocking much past 3.9/4.0Ghz.

An SSD would boost your performance (mostly in Windows though, games seem roughly on par between my SSD and HDD), but honestly, a new GPU would be the best way to go for you bud. 

No need to replace your mobo though, crossfiring another 7750 wouldn't give you as much of a performance boost as having a single powerful card would. It really depends on your budget, and what kind of games you'd be playing. Also what kind of performance you want from those games. 
If you wanted to stick with and AMD card I'd say any of these cards (listed in order of price, cheapest to most expensive) 7850, R9 270, 7870, R9 270X, R9 280, R9 280X.
If you wouldn't mind switching to Nvidia, I'd say 650 Ti Boost, 660, 660 Ti, 760, 770.

The only trouble with switching to a higher spec GPU is that your 430w PSU may not handle it. Saying that though, I was able to run an FX 8320 and a GTX 660 on the same PSU as yours with no problems :)

Loore said:
SSD, although expensive really do add a lot to performance from my perspective. Having used one in my new laptop I can't imagine going back to life without one. Even if you can find a cheap one and just use it to place your OS on, worth it in my opinion.
yeah I can imagine I've got pretty solid graphics cards and processors and it's being held up by a hard drive that takes 3 minutes to boot up most days I've already found and sourced the one I want that's compatible with my new system it's just having the money to get it that's the problem right now but I'm owed some money which I expect to be given soon so once I have that money I'll be ordering it. I would have bought one when I got my computer but it just raised the price of the machine too high so had to make do with  conventional drives for now but I need conventional drives to cover the file storage space I needed.

Loore said:
SSD, although expensive really do add a lot to performance from my perspective. Having used one in my new laptop I can't imagine going back to life without one. Even if you can find a cheap one and just use it to place your OS on, worth it in my opinion.
Completely agree! When I got my laptop about 2 months ago, the first thing I did was buy a 1TB hybrid SSHD (and another 4GB of RAM) for it. It actually boots faster than my main rig with that drive :)

Oooh. Would love to get some feedback from some people who know what they're doing like you guys.

Screens: 1x 1080p TV, 2x (4:3) 1280 x 1024 screens. (SoftTH all the way! Other than new games :/)

Think that's it.

Was aiming for a budget rig to build last Christmas, building it myself, of course. Totaled around £400-500. 

If I were to upgrade, what needs it the most? Would love a SSD, but Price/GB is painful. And would love another GPU but my mobo would need replacing if I wanted to Crossfire efficiently. And more RAM isn't needed? Also don't know if overclocking is a good idea? Would it actually benefit me much? I really don't know whats best, so would be really great if someone could point me in the right direction. :D Thanks.
not familiar with Radeon cards really  but based on what I've read it's a 1 gb  memory for playing modern games you need at least 2 ideally 3  if you want to run games at reasonable settings anyway. As I said I don't know Radeon cards well but if you want to keep it low cost then whatever the equivalent of Nvidia's GTX660 could be a good card given that is a 2gb card I've heard good things about the hd 7970 which is 3gb but it's also £300 so it depends on your budget. I think the AMD 6000 series CPU's aer hexacores (6 cores) so processor wise you're  good having said that to match the PS4/XB1 levels you would be better served with an 8 core if you're going with AMD anyway but that's just what I think but it probably won't be necessary.

Thank y'all, I won't quote as it may make for a rather long post ;)

I'll defiantly consider an SSD and a better GPU. Seems like I was a bit naïve when choosing the graphics card, but it just about does the job (It does struggle when I'm putting it under the most stress I can with F1 2013). Thanks anyway, and I hope to put this advice to good use :D

Loore said:
Completely agree! When I got my laptop about 2 months ago, the first thing I did was buy a 1TB hybrid SSHD (and another 4GB of RAM) for it. It actually boots faster than my main rig with that drive :)
well mines for my desktop machine I'm leaving my laptop as it is as I don't really use it that much I tend to only use it if my big rig is down and or doing maintenance on it. As I tend to use it as my backup machine plus it's not that powerful

Thank y'all, I won't quote as it may make for a rather long post ;)

I'll defiantly consider an SSD and a better GPU. Seems like I was a bit naïve when choosing the graphics card, but it just about does the job (It does struggle when I'm putting it under the most stress I can with F1 2013). Thanks anyway, and I hope to put this advice to good use :D
yeah judging by your spcs those are the areas I'd focus on

Think that's it.

not familiar with Radeon cards really  but based on what I've read it's a 1 gb  memory for playing modern games you need at least 2 ideally 3  if you want to run games at reasonable settings anyway. As I said I don't know Radeon cards well but if you want to keep it low cost then whatever the equivalent of Nvidia's GTX660 could be a good card given that is a 2gb card I've heard good things about the hd 7970 which is 3gb but it's also £300 so it depends on your budget. I think the AMD 6000 series CPU's aer hexacores (6 cores) so processor wise you're  good having said that to match the PS4/XB1 levels you would be better served with an 8 core if you're going with AMD anyway but that's just what I think but it probably won't be necessary.
He doesn't need an 8-core bud. His FX 6300 already smokes the APU that either of the new consoles use by a fairly large margin. The on'es in PS4/XB1 are more or less high spec laptop parts. And having said that, there's rumours that they're only running around 1.6Ghz compared to the 3.5Ghz stock speed of the FX 6300, which can be overclocked to at least 4.2/4.4Ghz. So no matter how it's cut, Skiddy's CPU is much better than either of the consoles.

And hell, my CPU is only a quad core but it utterly destroys a large majority of CPU's out there. So it doesn't matter if his is 6, it's still better than the 8 in the consoles.

Raw specs might be higher in PC parts but consoles, being closed hardware systems, are hella better optimised. That's why PC parts can run ahead with the raw specs but still don't exactly play the latest game at Max settings 999fps. Can't really compare their specs; software designed for PC has to be flexible therefore unoptimised.

Herby007 said:
Raw specs might be higher in PC parts but consoles, being closed hardware systems, are hella better optimised. That's why PC parts can run ahead with the raw specs but still don't exactly play the latest game at Max settings 999fps. Can't really compare their specs; software designed for PC has to be flexible therefore unoptimised.
True bud, it's kinda like Apple hardware, the specs are kinda rubbish but they're so well optimised with the software that they run like lightning.
I just wanted to point out that saying the console's APU is better than Skiddy's CPU because it's an 8 core and his is a 6 core wasn't correct.

Think that's it.

He doesn't need an 8-core bud. His FX 6300 already smokes the APU that either of the new consoles use by a fairly large margin. The on'es in PS4/XB1 are more or less high spec laptop parts. And having said that, there's rumours that they're only running around 1.6Ghz compared to the 3.5Ghz stock speed of the FX 6300, which can be overclocked to at least 4.2/4.4Ghz. So no matter how it's cut, Skiddy's CPU is much better than either of the consoles.

And hell, my CPU is only a quad core but it utterly destroys a large majority of CPU's out there. So it doesn't matter if his is 6, it's still better than the 8 in the consoles.
yeah I thought so too I just wasn't 100% sure was all. That was the only reason why I brought it up as I'm used to intel CPU's not AMD's so haven't had much experience with them as my new system is the first one I've had with an AMD CPU

Herby007 said:

that's also why I mentioned what I did

Lol it's the other way round for me, my i7 is my first Intel CPU :p
intel's are pretty powerful as my last one was it was just getting a bit old and the liquid cooling was due for a top up so decided to make the switch. enjoying the new system though just need one of those Super Speed Drives. (I know it stands for Solid State but that's my nickname for them.)

They sure are. What still amazes me is that it uses half the power of the FX 8320 and still performs much better :) Haven't really looked at OC'ing it yet (not that it needs it) but from what I've seen it's a little more complicated than OC'ing an AMD CPU. 

They sure are. What still amazes me is that it uses half the power of the FX 8320 and still performs much better :) Haven't really looked at OC'ing it yet (not that it needs it) but from what I've seen it's a little more complicated than OC'ing an AMD CPU. 
I don't generally overclock mineas I can generally get the performance I need without doing that. and it's been running pretty cool not getting above the mid 40's so far and it only goes that high when playing the more demanding games like Mass Effect/Tomb Raider

Fair play bud, I'm not sure if you've noticed or know about this (Hughesy told me this originally and I didn't believe him at first lol) but the FX series doesn't give you an accurate temp reading until you go over 45°C.

Fair play bud, I'm not sure if you've noticed or know about this (Hughesy told me this originally and I didn't believe him at first lol) but the FX series doesn't give you an accurate temp reading until you go over 45°C.
well my PC has a readout system on the case itself so I'm not getting that info from Windows or BIOS but from the case itself

Did I see you post somewhere that you have got a Laptop now, 'Fez? How come you bought one when you got your PC/Tablets/Phone?

well my PC has a readout system on the case itself so I'm not getting that info from Windows or BIOS but from the case itself
I still wouldn't trust it. My BIOS used to tell me 14°C and HWMonitor would tell me 4°C...

Herby007 said:
Did I see you post somewhere that you have got a Laptop now, 'Fez? How come you bought one when you got your PC/Tablets/Phone?
Yea bud :) I got a Medion Akoya P6643, i5 3230M and an Nvidia GT 740M. The main reason I bought it was so that when I go to a friends, or go to visit family up north, I can still game with them or whoever rather than just sitting and watching them play :) Plus I take it to work most days and it's much faster than the supplied PC's there, and I can play games on it at lunch :p

Oh and also, I hook it up to my TV to stream things, easier to sit on the couch and watch something on iPlayer than sit at my desk watching on my main rig :)

Ah fair enough. I'm of the option that laptops are a dieing breed. I keep thinking it would be nice to have a Chromebook but I can sit here, on my Nexus 7 with a bluetooth keyboard, and do everything a laptop does with exception to PC games and heavy spreadsheet/database stuff.

Have they fixed laptops cooling systems? I always found whenever you wanted to game you needed to play from inside a fridge or it would explode.

I still wouldn't trust it. My BIOS used to tell me 14°C and HWMonitor would tell me 4°C...

Herby007 said:
Yea bud :) I got a Medion Akoya P6643, i5 3230M and an Nvidia GT 740M. The main reason I bought it was so that when I go to a friends, or go to visit family up north, I can still game with them or whoever rather than just sitting and watching them play :) Plus I take it to work most days and it's much faster than the supplied PC's there, and I can play games on it at lunch :p

Oh and also, I hook it up to my TV to stream things, easier to sit on the couch and watch something on iPlayer than sit at my desk watching on my main rig :)

Fair enough but I haven't had any problems yet with it being too hot maybe when the hot weather comes I'll need to be careful but so far so good at the moment. But then my room tends to stay pretty cool in the summer and it stays pretty warm in the winter as well for at least a good couple of hours after the heating is turned off. so it's in quite a good room temp wise

Besides looking at that readout I think I could tell that's wrong anyway as I doubt even with liquid cooling that you could get it that low

Here's mine.  Built it in December 2012, but it scrubs up well after a spring clean...

I5 3570K @4.4 (BeQuiet Dark Rock Pro 2 HSF)
Gigabyte Z77 D3H motherboard
2x 4gb Corsair Vengence DDR3 LP ram
Gigabyte GTX 670 Windforce 3
Samsung F3 1TB HDD (from previous build)
Hiper Type-M 880W PSU (over 5yrs old now)
Fractal Design R4 case (middle cage removed)

For me my Nexus 7 is what I mainly use in bed or sat on the couch, it's useful but I do use the laptop more.What I like is that I can set F1 2013 to all medium graphics (still looks better than the 360) and get a solid 60 FPS out of it :p

Not really lol, there's a vent for intake on the front and a vent for output on the left side, but it does get very warm while gaming. It's not something I'm too worried about tho, it's supposed to be able to go up to 105°C but I've never seen it go past 75 :) 

Looking at those pictures of your PC, Joe, makes me really want to go out and buy a proper case  for my PC. I'm still using my old case from my 2006 build of my PC despite nothing in the PC itself remaining from that build. 

On my to do list for my PC:
New Case
New fans/dust filters
SSD

I really want to get a Raspberry Pi as well. No idea why or what I'd use it for other than playing around with it. Heard it's good for streaming, but my chromecast is Godly for that.