Sign in to follow this  

The PC Thread

Hughesy said:
Haha good luck, hope that doesn't void the warranty? I'm sure there were some companies doing the LEDs in blue, but not sure if they do with the 900 series.
I've no idea if it does, but I hope not! I'll be taking part of the shroud off to do it, but I won't be removing any of the heatsink itself so I'm hopeful that doesn't count as invalidating warranty :p You know that little round no entry type of sticky on the screws holding the heatsink to the pcb? I won't have to unscrew them as far as I know :)
If there's a company out there doing it I'd deffo buy it, easier than doing it myself that's for sure!
That's the good thing about MSI, they allow you to take the heatsink off without voiding it o:)

Cant find the card that did it btw, but here's a guide to do it yourself if you haven't already looked at it. I'm sure you could make it blue yourself although the White does look awesome! https://forums.geforce.com/default/topic/750811/cooling-and-case-modding/modding-my-gtx-780-ti/

Hughesy said:
Hughesy said:
Haha good luck, hope that doesn't void the warranty? I'm sure there were some companies doing the LEDs in blue, but not sure if they do with the 900 series.
I've no idea if it does, but I hope not! I'll be taking part of the shroud off to do it, but I won't be removing any of the heatsink itself so I'm hopeful that doesn't count as invalidating warranty :p You know that little round no entry type of sticky on the screws holding the heatsink to the pcb? I won't have to unscrew them as far as I know :)
If there's a company out there doing it I'd deffo buy it, easier than doing it myself that's for sure!
That's the good thing about MSI, they allow you to take the heatsink off without voiding it o:)

Cant find the card that did it btw, but here's a guide to do it yourself if you haven't already looked at it. I'm sure you could make it blue yourself although the White does look awesome! https://forums.geforce.com/default/topic/750811/cooling-and-case-modding/modding-my-gtx-780-ti/
Ah sweet! Thank you MSI! ;)

I have indeed seen that thread :p I've been reading everything I can find about it since I got the card, feeling pretty confident I can do it too because it seems like a really simple mod. Just gotta make sure I get a fine enough sandpaper and not use any coarse crap lol. I've got 3 backup plans too, found a few people selling reference coolers so I'll be after one for the led, just in case anything goes wrong :)

Hughesy said:
Shame you didn't buy the MSI version, good luck with it bud ;)
I did ;) And cheers dude, hopefully it should be all good and look great! Contacted a seller on ebay and things are looking good for getting a spare cooler too with the led in it :)
Also, just did an hours gaming, GPU temps are 5c down on what they were with my 300R :D 

Hughesy said:
Shame you didn't buy the MSI version, good luck with it bud ;)
I did ;) And cheers dude, hopefully it should be all good and look great! Contacted a seller on ebay and things are looking good for getting a spare cooler too with the led in it :)
Also, just did an hours gaming, GPU temps are 5c down on what they were with my 300R :D 
I'm sure when  you first  posted a pic of the GPU you were getting it wasn't MSI. Maybe you chose a different one as I see it's an MSI in the last purchase thread. Good stuff that the temps are down, although I'd expect that from a bigger case ;) Im pretty sure my card didn't have the sticker on the back, although it was over a year ago when I took the cooler off for watercooling. It might be different for those reference designs, either way you should be fine as those stickers can fall off pretty easy if you did need to take it off.
 All this talk of modding and changing cases is making me want to change stuff in my PC. I'm going to get my Corsair 600T out and see if I can find a way to fit the 140mm fans inside.

Yea I was gonna go for a Zotac one but they ran out of stock the day before I could order, then the day I ordered the MSI one was back in. It was a little more expensive but I just wanted it :p 
True on the sticker lol. Should be able to get hold of a reference cooler from a 780 soon though just in case I evee have to RMA it. Even if the one I'm after now falls through I'll keep trying till I get one for the spare led.

Know what you mean about the talk! It was thanks to AMS choosing his system that I got the bug again lol. Good luck with the 600T bud, post pics if you get the fans in!

Well I've been to the local PC shop, they didn't have 3pin fan splitters. The guy said he'd never heard of any and wouldn't recommend running more than one fan on a 3pin cable. From what I've read though a 3pin cable can support 2 fans no problem. Kind of annoyed!

Well I've been to the local PC shop, they didn't have 3pin fan splitters. The guy said he'd never heard of any and wouldn't recommend running more than one fan on a 3pin cable. From what I've read though a 3pin cable can support 2 fans no problem. Kind of annoyed!
Yep they work fine bud, I've used many in the past. What store was it? If it was PC World they know F all lol. You can get them from Scan for a few quid, or Overclockers which would be better as they do Royal Mail delivery which is cheaper. If you have a Maplins store near you they also sell them. You can get a splitter that supports 4 fans so that guy knows nothing....

Hughesy said:
Yep they work fine bud, I've used many in the past. What store was it? If it was PC World they know F all lol. You can get them from Scan for a few quid, or Overclockers which would be better as they do Royal Mail delivery which is cheaper. If you have a Maplins store near you they also sell them. You can get a splitter that supports 4 fans so that guy knows nothing....
Exactly lol. Nah it was just a small computer shop, the nearest one to me so I figured I'd give them a go. And unfortunately the nearest Maplin for me is in Bristol and I cba to go there :p Ordered some from ebay now so that'll do!

Had a go with the led, first I couldn't get the shroud off the card, undid every screw on the front and side, couldn't get the back screws to loosen at all. And of course there isn't a bloody guide anywhere online ffs. So I masked off the logo and had a small go, didn't like the way it was going so I've given up for now. The logo looks like I haven't touched it so that's all good, just gonna try and get one from elsewhere and try with it instead. I'd rather not fuck up the one in my 980 trying to mod it in a way that isn't ideal lol.

Won't be getting out my Corsair 600T. It's in the loft and I can't get up there, and have nobody coming here today  :( Bloody hate my crippled body sometimes  :|

Right, might upload some pics later, just got to edit something first. I only have 2 complaints with my PC, firstly the case isn't really wire friendly, the PSU cables are quite big so it doesn't look very roomy in there and secondly, I had to cut some of the plastic casing off of my HDMI cable (the bit that is just behind the bit that gets plugged in) because a small metal ridge was obstructing the area at the top of the HDMI socket.

Case is nice though. My PC managed to get Very high graphics in 1080p on Archeage :) 

Right here is the idle temps of my PC from about 5 minutes ago. 

http://imgur.com/YdU7hJ4

Good or bad?

Absolutely fine bud, although the temps that really matter are ingame temps. Looking at that though they will be fine when gaming ;)

Hughesy said:
Absolutely fine bud, although the temps that really matter are ingame temps. Looking at that though they will be fine when gaming ;)
Completely agreed, all good on the temps :) 

Still can't figure out why the shroud wouldn't come off earlier. Looking at pics online I got all the screws off that I needed to, but of course no bloody site describes or shows how to get it off without removing the entire heatsink.

Hughesy said:

Still can't figure out why the shroud wouldn't come off earlier. Looking at pics online I got all the screws off that I needed to, but of course no bloody site describes or shows how to get it off without removing the entire heatsink.
Maybe that's because you need to remove it? I don't know as I don't have the reference cooler.

Ok, I'll post a picture tomorrow of the inside and outside. If you could give me any advice on the cables I'd really appreciate it (Looking at mine in particular, can't seem to tuck them out of the way anywhere).

I'll also upload a pic of the temps during gaming

Hughesy said:
Hughesy said:

Maybe that's because you need to remove it? I don't know as I don't have the reference cooler.
I dunno man, from the pictures I've seen the shroud has been taken off but with the backplate still attached and the I/O shield still on too. I just don't get it lol. I need to get it to the point in the picture below. I've posted on a thread for 980 owners asking about it but no one has replied yet :(

AMS97KRR said:
Ok, I'll post a picture tomorrow of the inside and outside. If you could give me any advice on the cables I'd really appreciate it (Looking at mine in particular, can't seem to tuck them out of the way anywhere).

I'll also upload a pic of the temps during gaming

No problems, you'll get advice from a number of us I think :) Looking forward to the pics!

As someone who knows more about making PCs than me, you will be disgusted :p I'll try to tidy them up a little first though ;)

@AMS97KRR Haha, don't worry bud, you should have seen my PC this time last year :p Not tidy at all!
Haha I remember it, seen mine and was like "I need to tidy my cables up" now you're ocd lol :p

Two fans in my case just broke at the same time lol. One was from my old Noctua cooler at the top of my case, and another which was at the bottom (Can't remember the make) both sound like a bearing problem. Still now that I've unplugged them both my PC is really silent, like the power brick on my X1 makes more noise lol. Got to buy some more DS fans soon. Going to stick with this case as it fits so many fans o:) I'd love to buy another 4, one at the bottom and three at the top but Im not sure I need that many really. I'll probably buy another two and see how performance vs noise is. Anyone reading this, you should buy these fans! There are different colours and in 120mm &140mm size.
http://www.scan.co.uk/products/140mm-aerocool-dead-silence-red-led-fan-dual-material-colour-fdb-fan-108dba

Haha, yea! You're to blame for my cable ocd! :p 

When it comes to fans I'm like if there's a place for one to go, then a fan must go in lol. The more the better!
But I'm in total agreement on these fans, it just amazes me how quiet they really are dude :)

Oh and these are temps taken during Archeage gameplay (V.High graphics (Not an Ultra option), 1080p) 

http://imgur.com/Penkkml

I think tomorrow, I'll run some of the main wires (PSU wires) into some of the case holes to neaten it up a bit, the smaller ones one affect much IMO, and it isn't like my case has a window or anything (My old one did, but it was unfortunately facing a wall :( )

Hi, 
After grateful advice of sjsharp 2014 I have come to this thread for advice on a pc I want to buy to play F1 2014 on and when the time comes for it to be upgradable for F1 2015.
I only have a budget of around £450, the pc would be attached to my 64" tv. Could you please give me your opinion on the following pc if it would be good enough to play the game on our do I need to find a better model.

Create a storm with the UKGC Tornado Gaming PC. Experience high-end gaming without having to re-mortgage your house! The powerful new AMD FX-4 4300 Black Edition 3.8Ghz quad core processor, on a Gigabyte GA-970A-DS3P motherboard starts this fantastic package off, offering good processing performance for your money. Equipped with, the best of the best, 8GB of Corsair XMS3 DDR3 1600Mhz RAM and 500GB of Seagate Barracuda 7,200RPM hard disk storage will ensure you never get caught short. The graphics card is right up there with the big boys, an Nvidia GTX 660 2GB.

The Tornado is wrapped up nicely in the Zalman Z3 Plus case and powered by a powerful 500W Corsair 500CX power supply.

It is so long since I have used a pc I am out of date on what I need to have to play the game with good speed, I can't wait to be able to add the mods to the game and get the most of what Codemasters have made and leave my xbox alone. 

Many thanks for any advice. 

I live in the UK,  for any where that might be good to buy a pc from

You should be able to play the F1 games at pretty high graphics with that setup, if not maxed out on most settings. I used to have that same motherboard, RAM, and GTX 660, only the CPU I had at the time was an FX 8320. But even with the FX 4300 I don't expect you'll have any trouble at all with CM's F1 games.

Also considering my laptop (i5 3230M - around the same level as the FX 4300, and GT 740M - the 660 is a lot better) can play F1 2013 with a mix of medium and high settings at a solid 60FPS, you'd be just fine with what you posted above.

The only thing I will say, if you plan on playing some of the more recent games like Assassin's Creed, Far Cry Etc, that CPU will hold you back a fair bit, and the 660 would struggle a bit. But for your budget that rig is good.