Sign in to follow this  

The PC Thread

Hughesy said:
Says I've played it for 7 hours on mine :p There's 15 chapters and I'm on 6 or 7 I think.
Lol silly Steam, says you've only played it 1.7 hours on mine.... :# The Demo includes the first three chapters, so that's pretty good. Not really loving it yet, just hiding from that fat man with a chainsaw.
Well, I gotta say that chapter 2 is awful. It's just boring and unoriginal throughout that one. But chapter 3 onwards starts to get a lot better. Think it was chapter 4 and 5 were just brilliant and it seemed to throw stuff at you non-stop in them :)

@RevolvingPrawn‌ Seems even though you can set The Evil Within to 60fps I can't get anywhere near a stable 60, no wonder they capped it to 30fps (for cinematic reasons..lol) it's just really badly optimised. The graphics aren't even that great, even on next gen consoles the framerate drops well below 30fps. I'll probably still buy it when Ive finished the rest of the demo (although I might wait for a price drop) as clearly no work has been done for the PC version. For a game like this 30fps isn't that bad but really it should be hitting 60 with such average graphics. It does use id tech 5 which explains a lot, but Wolfenstein looks just as good and runs at 60fps easily.

Hughesy said:
@RevolvingPrawn‌ Seems even though you can set The Evil Within to 60fps I can't get anywhere near a stable 60, no wonder they capped it to 30fps (for cinematic reasons..lol) it's just really badly optimised. The graphics aren't even that great, even on next gen consoles the framerate drops well below 30fps. I'll probably still buy it when Ive finished the rest of the demo (although I might wait for a price drop) as clearly no work has been done for the PC version. For a game like this 30fps isn't that bad but really it should be hitting 60 with such average graphics. It does use id tech 5 which explains a lot, but Wolfenstein looks just as good and runs at 60fps easily.
Completely agreed bud. For a console game it's what you'd expect. But the PC version just hasn't really had any major work done on it to take advantage of more powerful hardware. The graphics are very standard and the game really shouldn't be as taxing as it is. Very lazy port I'd say.

Can't agree about Wolfenstein though :p I get a lot of micro stuttering from that, and even if I try to force AA through Nvidia control panel I still get jagged lines every where. Plus the textures look shabby and a bit too pixelated for me. It's a fun game, just not very well made.

What I find weird, for a company that seems to barely do any bug testing, Codemasters games are ridiculously well optimised! 

Hughesy said:
Completely agreed bud. For a console game it's what you'd expect. But the PC version just hasn't really had any major work done on it to take advantage of more powerful hardware. The graphics are very standard and the game really shouldn't be as taxing as it is. Very lazy port I'd say.

Can't agree about Wolfenstein though :p I get a lot of micro stuttering from that, and even if I try to force AA through Nvidia control panel I still get jagged lines every where. Plus the textures look shabby and a bit too pixelated for me. It's a fun game, just not very well made.

What I find weird, for a company that seems to barely do any bug testing, Codemasters games are ridiculously well optimised! 
What card were you using in Wolfenstein? That's the first I've seen of those problems, even my brother with a 670 and a AMD 955be (which is a pretty old cpu) runs it at 60fps 1080P fine. I don't have pixelated textures either. You got to remember it uses a thing called "mega textures" (which aren't really mega) but it's done sorta like a painting instead of the classic way, which is why it looks weird and not pin sharp but from an artistic point of view it's pretty good.  I never said it looks awesome though but it looks just as good as Evil Within.  It obviously doesn't like your PC lol most places say it's well optimised.
 Yea I agree on the last part, Codemasters games always run well even on old hardware, yes the graphics aren't the best but they aren't that bad either (especially the wet weather graphics)

Well, it's actually the 980 I'm having problems with Wolfenstein on lol. With the 770 the game ran fine, but with the 980 I'm getting horrible stuttering when I move the camera left to right, nonexistent AA, and of course nasty textures. It's almost like I'm playing the game on an Xbox 360 at times it looks so bad :s It's strange though because I'm getting a solid 90fps, the game should be running just fine, but it doesn't seem to matter what settings I ran it on, even on low graphics I still get the stuttering. 

I've had similar things in other games though with the 980. Like The Evil Within gives me strange stuttering at times (not always though), Alien Isolation does too (also no AA, even when forced, but I can get the game to run smoothly, it really doesn't like it when DSR is turned to any resolution higher than 1080p), and the weirdest is that I get it pretty bad on Far Cry 3: Blood Dragon, but Far Cry 3 itself runs utterly beautifully lol.

Nah not the greatest of graphics, but for how good they do look, CM have really nailed how to get their games running well on all kinds of hardware. It's honestly impressive, I just wish they could have that kind of quality with every part of their games! :p 

The joys of a new GPU, seems like driver issues. You don't use Steam big picture mode do you? As that causes stuttering in games sometimes (happens to me in Alien Isolation) also might me where you have a high hz monitor, as that was one of the things I had problems with before. Many games (bad ports) don't like anything above 60hz.

Yea you really couldn't criticise how well they optimise them (Codemasters) just a shame they use bug testers from India ( apparently) instead of the UK. I just hope that F1 is 60fps on Xbox One/PS4 as racing games need to be 60fps. Saying that though, Horizon 2 is 30 but somehow feels it's running at 60fps. I'm not sure how but it does, might be becuase it's a rock solid 30 (of could be magic) 

Was that time again when i needed to clean the inside of my pc, even replaced the thermal paste bought some paste on ebay from china was really cheap too.

Hughesy said:
The joys of a new GPU, seems like driver issues. You don't use Steam big picture mode do you? As that causes stuttering in games sometimes (happens to me in Alien Isolation) also might me where you have a high hz monitor, as that was one of the things I had problems with before. Many games (bad ports) don't like anything above 60hz.

Yea you really couldn't criticise how well they optimise them (Codemasters) just a shame they use bug testers from India ( apparently) instead of the UK. I just hope that F1 is 60fps on Xbox One/PS4 as racing games need to be 60fps. Saying that though, Horizon 2 is 30 but somehow feels it's running at 60fps. I'm not sure how but it does, might be becuase it's a rock solid 30 (of could be magic) 
Yeah I agree sounds like it too me as well

Also looking at cases (for the gazillionth time) and I really want to move down to a Micro ATX case. Any recommendations? 

Leaning towards this case: http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00G4E60TQ/ref=s9_simh_gw_p147_d0_i4?pf_rd_m=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE&pf_rd_s=center-2&pf_rd_r=0Y9H97S2Y55A69RBMSZ0&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=455344027&pf_rd_i=468294

quick question for you pc guys,

I have a ps4 so cant play 2014 :-( I was wondering if my laptop could run it?

hp pavilion, i3 quad chip @ 240ghz (whatever that means lol) 64 bit, windows 8.1,  8gb ram, hp hd graphics chip with hd out for tv, idt high definition audio.

what you think will it run smoothly enough for online?

on fibre optic broadband and connected using Ethernet

hp pavilion, i3 quad chip @ 240ghz (whatever that means lol) 64 bit, windows 8.1,  8gb ram, hp hd graphics chip with hd out for tv, idt high definition audio.

Use this link to find out

System requirements lab

Use this link to find out

System requirements lab
thanks will do

not enough dedicated video ram, only thing it failed on, cheers @couger1981 saved me the disappointment of buying it and it not working, good site that!

No surprise, the HP thing isn't a graphics card, it's used just to display an image, like watching a HD film. It doesn't have any Vram.

i3 quad chip @ 240ghz

First of all i dont think there are any i3's that are quad cores, at least for desktop. Also if its clocked at 240GHz, its going to be able to run anything...
Haha it would be the fastest cpu in the world :p I was going to mention those two bits last night but didn't see much point o:)

Hughesy said:

i3 quad chip @ 240ghz

First of all i dont think there are any i3's that are quad cores, at least for desktop. Also if its clocked at 240GHz, its going to be able to run anything...
Haha it would be the fastest cpu in the world :p I was going to mention those two bits last night but didn't see much point o:)
indeed it would wouldn't need to get another processor for quite a while if we had that one :p

Hughesy said:
No surprise, the HP thing isn't a graphics card, it's used just to display an image, like watching a HD film. It doesn't have any Vram.

yeah it does have some just not enough cheers anyways

soz guys missed a .   2.40ghz and yes its quad core i3, at least that's what it says in the description. has 4 processors running at 2.40ghz. told you's im not clued up bout pc's just writing down what I got here, thanks

Hughesy said:

soz guys missed a .   2.40ghz and yes its quad core i3, at least that's what it says in the description. has 4 processors running at 2.40ghz. told you's im not clued up bout pc's just writing down what I got here, thanks

that sounds a bit better not a bad speed but you need a recognised graphics card really

Hughesy said:

It doesn't, it just uses the i3 which uses normal ram ie the 8GB of ram you have ;) Also it's not a quad core, the i3 is a dual core. The i5 is a quad core. The i3 can use hyperthreading but only has two physical cores.

Hughesy said:
Hughesy said:

It doesn't, it just uses the i3 which uses normal ram ie the 8GB of ram you have ;)
it says I have 32mb of dedicated video ram but it needs 2hundred and something :)

Hughesy said:
Hughesy said:

It doesn't, it just uses the i3 which uses normal ram ie the 8GB of ram you have ;)
it says I have 32mb of dedicated video ram but it needs 2hundred and something :)
I've edited my post about your i3 not being a quadcore btw. That 32mb is part of the i3

@hughesy , see when I go into task manager and look at the cpu section there are 4 different cpu's being monitored and all of them run upto 2.40ghz. they are numbered too, 1,2,3,4

just saying what it says here

also just checked in device manager it has 4 of these

intel core(tm)-i3-3110m cpu @ 2.40ghz