Sign in to follow this  

The PC Thread

ok @RevolvingPrawn i take your word for it im not a tech geek I just say what it says here. whats a thread? not needle and thread? lol

educate me im an old man pmsl

Lol, I'm not particularly sure what a thread really is. @Hughesy could probably explain it seeing as he knows more than I do :p 

Basically though, if you tried to play F1 2014 on that, you remember the graphics F1 2009 on the Wii had? You'd get only slightly better than that, but it'd be lower on the FPS so the game would stutter a lot, it wouldn't be a smooth experience at all unfortunately.

yeah that site couger told me about pretty much said the same so I will just have to wait for 2015 :-(

did you have the 2009 game on wii? never played it myself as I gave my wii to my nephew in 2008

Can't be bothered when everything I say gets ignored, the info is easy enough to get from intel website or Google. I already said why he thought it was a quadcore, it uses hyperthreading which you can also find out on Intels website. http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/architecture-and-technology/hyper-threading/hyper-threading-technology.html

Nah, my girlfriend at the time had one, but I didn't wanna play it with one of those floaty controllers :p The video below is roughly what you'd get though, same processor and Intel 4000 graphics you have on yours. It's like playing the game in slowmo lol.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KrRquhifoZA

@hughesy im not ignoring you just saying what it says here, as far as I know you lot know way more than me about pc tech I just use the things

cheers for the link tho it does explain a little but im not tech savvy so don't understand half the stuff on that page lol :)

Nah, my girlfriend at the time had one, but I didn't wanna play it with one of those floaty controllers :p The video below is roughly what you'd get though, same processor and Intel 4000 graphics you have on yours. It's like playing the game in slowmo lol.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KrRquhifoZA
I watched the video and couldn't see any problems lol that's how clueless I am

Well if you can play like that then go for it :p For me personally, that'd be just unbearable. That's actually worse  than how it plays on PS3 and Xbox 360.

naaaa im going to wait til 2015 I can live without an f1 game til then, i'd only end up being upset if I bought it full price and it didn't work as it should, not taking the risk. if I stay here chatting to you lot long enough I may end up building a pc like yours :) lol well I say build I mean buy or have someone build it for me, maybe that could be a project for me to get more tech savvy, hmmmmz you got me thinking now----and that's dangerous pmsl

May end up having to RMA my PSU :(
Turned it on this morning only for my PC to start making a loud buzzing/vibrating noise, but I ignored it while I got ready thinking it was the bearing in one of my fans (bearing has gone in one and the replacement should arrive today). Usually though when the fans drop down to 700rpm after a minute or 2 from powering on the fan bearing noise gets really quiet, but this time the noise didn't go away. So I got my ear down next to it and it deffo sounds like it's coming from the power supply :( 

The bearing on the fan inside has been making a whispery kind of noise since day 1, but I could never hear it over any of the other fans so figured I'd leave it. Then this happens, dammit! Luckily I still have my CX750, and with most of the cables being modular it won't be too big a hassle to swap them around. Just frustrating that this may have happened when I thought most things were solved! Hopefully though Corsair will send me a shiny new HX850 ;)

Turned it on this morning only for my PC to start making a loud buzzing/vibrating noise, but I ignored it while I got ready thinking it was the bearing in one of my fans (bearing has gone in one and the replacement should arrive today). Usually though when the fans drop down to 700rpm after a minute or 2 from powering on the fan bearing noise gets really quiet, but this time the noise didn't go away. So I got my ear down next to it and it deffo sounds like it's coming from the power supply :( 

The bearing on the fan inside has been making a whispery kind of noise since day 1, but I could never hear it over any of the other fans so figured I'd leave it. Then this happens, dammit! Luckily I still have my CX750, and with most of the cables being modular it won't be too big a hassle to swap them around. Just frustrating that this may have happened when I thought most things were solved! Hopefully though Corsair will send me a shiny new HX850 ;)
That's exactly what happened to my Corsair PSU. Mine was designed so the fan only came on at a certain temp, but when it did it sounded awful. When and where did you buy it? As you should be able to get it replaced from where you bought it from. 
Now I have this PSU and it's awesome. 
http://www.bequiet.com/en/powersupply/301

Hughesy said:

That's exactly what happened to my Corsair PSU. Mine was designed so the fan only came on at a certain temp, but when it did it sounded awful. When and where did you buy it? As you should be able to get it replaced from where you bought it from. 
Now I have this PSU and it's awesome. 
http://www.bequiet.com/en/powersupply/301
Yea, mine's supposed to do the same but it never did, the fan is always on no matter how idle it is :p 
I bought it from Scan as a factory refurb, and unluckily they have a 3 month warranty on them... Which ran out 6 days ago :( 

Luckily Corsair do a 7 year warranty on this model, so I'll check it when I get home, if it's still dodgy I'll put my CX750 back in and start the RMA process with them :) Should be all good!

And I would look at other makes, but I like Corsair stuff :p Atm the stuff from them I have is my case, RAM, CPU fan, PSU, and Keyboard. And probably a H100i sometime in the near future. Don't wanna get a different make cos it'll ruin the look a little bit lol, plus the HX series has blue labels ;)

Phew! *wipes sweat off forehead* It wasn't the PSU after all :) It was the fan that sits right next to it having gotten even worse. Though I have noticed that the vibrations I thought the fans were causing are actually coming from the PSU. Luckily today in the post I received a new fan, and an anti-vibration mount for the power supply :)

Phew! *wipes sweat off forehead* It wasn't the PSU after all :) It was the fan that sits right next to it having gotten even worse. Though I have noticed that the vibrations I thought the fans were causing are actually coming from the PSU. Luckily today in the post I received a new fan, and an anti-vibration mount for the power supply :)
Was that one of the DS fans? I remember you saying you got a dodgy one. Mine are nice and silent, so I hope I don't get the same problems.

Hughesy said:
Was that one of the DS fans? I remember you saying you got a dodgy one. Mine are nice and silent, so I hope I don't get the same problems.
Yup, and it's not the first time I've had to replace an Aerocool fan with a dodgy bearing... Happened about 4 times with the Sharks. Noticed too now that one of my front 140's had developed a clicking noise, so I swapped it with one of the rear fans, and since fitting the new fan, the other one I have on the bottom has started clicking very faintly.

On the plus side though, my hard drives are currently the loudest thing inside the case ;)

Hughesy said:
Yup, and it's not the first time I've had to replace an Aerocool fan with a dodgy bearing... Happened about 4 times with the Sharks. Noticed too now that one of my front 140's had developed a clicking noise, so I swapped it with one of the rear fans, and since fitting the new fan, the other one I have on the bottom has started clicking very faintly.

On the plus side though, my hard drives are currently the loudest thing inside the case ;)
Thought you said these fans were good  :# Sure it's not your fan controller making them click? It's why I don't use one. Hope none of mine do that, I'll blame you if they do :p

j/k

For quietness they're great, and I would have expected them to have put in top quality bearings seeing as these are their highest spec fans...

Deffo not the fan controller though bud, the clicking on the 120 was actually worse with the 7v adapter than it is when it's on the fan controller :p Sound of the clicking 140 is already starting to drive me up the wall. Thinking I'll take it out, transfer a working one back there again, and just stick one of my old 140 Shark's in the front seeing as it isn't visible anyway.

You two mess around with your computers far too much. Seem to create problems with every step you take  ;)

Herby007 said:
You two mess around with your computers far too much. Seem to create problems with every step you take  ;)
What problems have I had???  :o Also it's a hobby bud, only prawn messes stuff up :p Me its the other way around, PC is fine but consoles go wrong. Had disc drive fail on PS4 and fan make a stupid noise in X1 :( And hay didn't I see you moaning about your PC the other week :p :p

Hey, I don't mess things up, I strive for perfection ;)

Forgot I'd put all the Shark's back into the 300R, so I've just stuck one of the Corsair AF140's that came with the case in front of the HDD bay. No more clicking! And it's still really quiet, the AF just moves air at a slightly higher pitch is all, plus you can't see it where it is.

Hughesy said:
Herby007 said:
What problems have I had???  :o Also it's a hobby bud, only prawn messes stuff up :p Me its the other way around, PC is fine but consoles go wrong. Had disc drive fail on PS4 and fan make a stupid noise in X1 :( And hay didn't I see you moaning about your PC the other week :p :p
I agree if I wsa able to fdo it myself without help and without too much cost I'd probably change things around moer frequently but with my disability it's always going to be hard for me to do that so once I've made my decision I've pretty much got to stick with it.

Hughesy said:
Herby007 said:
Probably moaned about Windows. My actual PC parts work as intended ;). I did want some advice on dust filters and a case, but nobody cared to answer that and hey, the parts you guys would recommend would probably spontaneously combust anyway :p.

Think i've lost sight of the whole "PC building as a hobby" thing. I look at my PC, see so much I could change/do to tart it up and make it run better, but I really can't be bothered when I come home at 6pm from my work. Wish I could be motivated to care more for my PC but I just can't :(.

I didn't answer because I've never really looked into an mATX system :p 

And I got home at 6pm, then worked on my PC till 9 lol. But I guess for me it's kinda like a way to forget work for a bit and do something I enjoy. For me putting in new parts and changing bits around kinda cleans my head (as well as my bank account ;)). It's different for everybody though I suppose dude.