Sign in to follow this  

The PC Thread

Does anyone know of software that I can use to export videos (ie. .MTS) to sound only formats (.mp3)? Audacity unfortunately wont open/convert video files...
if you mean download videos onto your computer there are 2 that I use RealPlayer Cloud and Keepvid they work well with youtube visd and Dailymotion but not sure about others.
I have the .MTS's on my laptop, they're from my camera, what I want to do is just export the sound from the video into a form I can use, eg. .mp3.

Does anyone know of software that I can use to export videos (ie. .MTS) to sound only formats (.mp3)? Audacity unfortunately wont open/convert video files...
if you mean download videos onto your computer there are 2 that I use RealPlayer Cloud and Keepvid they work well with youtube visd and Dailymotion but not sure about others.
I have the .MTS's on my laptop, they're from my camera, what I want to do is just export the sound from the video into a form I can use, eg. .mp3.
oh right you might want to look online and google to see if there are any converter's then. I used something similar to convert music from  my CD's onto a game once but that was .ogg files not .MTS's. Took a bit of playing around but I eventually got it to work

The Corsair fans are in, and they are seriously quiet :) They sound very similar to the Dead Silence fans, but I think they might actually be the slightest bit quieter.

Something I am confused about though, I've got 2 SP120 QE's at the bottom and the lowest rpm they go to is 800. And I have a single SP120 QE at the top rear yet it goes down to 700rpm... The only difference is that the 2 are on the same channel, while the 1 is on its own channel. Once I get the H100i in there though each case fan will be on it's own channel so hopefully that's it!

The Corsair fans are in, and they are seriously quiet :) They sound very similar to the Dead Silence fans, but I think they might actually be the slightest bit quieter.

Something I am confused about though, I've got 2 SP120 QE's at the bottom and the lowest rpm they go to is 800. And I have a single SP120 QE at the top rear yet it goes down to 700rpm... The only difference is that the 2 are on the same channel, while the 1 is on its own channel. Once I get the H100i in there though each case fan will be on it's own channel so hopefully that's it!
Strange bud, I believe you can connect four fans to the H100i. I already know what colour the Corsair logo will be for you, blue :p From what you are saying, I'm sure my three Corsair SP's are faulty. One always made a clicking noise at full rpm and Strangly doesn't push as much air. I hate this time of year though, so many games I want and it's my brothers birthday soon and my mums, then there's bloody Christmas.

Hughesy said:

Strange bud, I believe you can connect four fans to the H100i. I already know what colour the Corsair logo will be for you, blue :p From what you are saying, I'm sure my three Corsair SP's are faulty. One always made a clicking noise at full rpm and Strangly doesn't push as much air. I hate this time of year though, so many games I want and it's my brothers birthday soon and my mums, then there's bloody Christmas.
Think I'll be sticking with 2 fans on the H100i though, and then the other 5 on the 5 controller channels :) And strangely enough, not blue! :p Gonna have the logo white so that it matches the white writing on the 980 lol. Plus the power and HDD led's at the front of the case are white too and it's a nice contrast to the blue.
They must be dude, these things are stupendously quiet, I think it's because the air noise is at a higher pitch to the DS fans and it makes it less audible to me. I can actually hear my PSU and HDD's pretty clearly over these Corsairs fans when with the DS's it all just blended together :) And right now I'm 2 rooms and a hallway away from my kitchen where the microwave is running, yet the sound of the microwave is almost drowning out my PC :D 

Too right on the time of year! I've had to lay out a budget for this months pay to make sure I can afford the H100i and FC4, get presents for every one, get my train tickets for heading up north to see the family, have enough money to get by on food and all the other bits, and pay my bills lol. First time I've done one in ages!

Hey chaps, so this is my current setup:

CPU: Intel Core i5 3570k ( no oc ), cooled by a Hyper212 Evo Turbo
GPU: Msi R7950 3GB Twin Frozer 3
Mobo: Gigabyte z77 d3h
Ram: (2x4gb) Corsair Vengeance 1600mhz
Hdd: 1x 500gb Seagate , 1x Adata 120gb ssd, 2TB Seagate
Psu: Corsair TX750m
Case: Coolermaster Storm Scout

I run games at 1080p/60Hz.

I wondering if maybe a GTX960 would be a decent upgrade from my current GPU once it officially releases?  Computer parts are still quite expensive in my corner of the world unfortunately. Although my 7950 is running games quite alright, I would like something with a little more oomph so I can start turning the settings up a bit.

Yet another upgrade! The H100i is in, and looking good ;) Had a few problems with Corsair Link not picking it up so I couldn't adjust anything, but after changing 8 numbers in the registry and a reboot, all showed up and the software works really well now :) Idling around 25-26c with the fans spinning at 880rpm (can't even hear them) but I haven't checked at load yet. Got a custom fan curve set up and planning to test it out with some games after dinner. 
So for now, pictures :p 

If Corsair did one with a 360rad I'd buy one in a flash. One thing though, you can't change the coolent which is crazy. In a waterloop you need to change it every 12 months, so eventually that 100i will degrade mate. So basically you have to buy a whole new cooler, but with the way you upgrade that probably won't be a problem lol

Yea I know what you mean, there's actually space above my drive bays to get a 240mm fan in next to the rad lol. A 360 would have filled it nicely :p 
No problem with it degrading though bud, there's a 5 year warranty on it so when the performance goes bad I'll either replace it for something else, or attempt to RMA it :)

Really impressed with it so far though! During gaming it's between 42-52c depending on the game. Alien:Isolation is around 43c and Tomb Raider was around 49c. Super happy with it :D
Using 3 different programs to get temps. 

Games don't really test the cpu fully bud, you need to download a program called Prime95. Still good temps but none of those games are cpu intensive ;)

Hughesy said:
Games don't really test the cpu fully bud, you need to download a program called Prime95. Still good temps but none of those games are cpu intensive ;)
I know I could download Prime95, but I don't see the point bud. That puts it at 100% load, but it's unrealistic. Most of the time gaming will be the heaviest load I put on my PC so I'm just looking at those temps and I'm happy with them :)

Hughesy said:
I know I could download Prime95, but I don't see the point bud. That puts it at 100% load, but it's unrealistic. Most of the time gaming will be the heaviest load I put on my PC so I'm just looking at those temps and I'm happy with them :)
Yea it's not really just for temps but for stability when overclocking, anyway glad you're happy with it ;)

Ah I definitely won't need to do it then, I'm not overclocking this cpu ;) I did with my FX8320 because it wasn't powerful enough, but the i7 at stock clocks has never had a problem running anything :)

Thanks though dude! Me too :p
Now last night I noticed an annoying vibration and thought at first it was the pump. Thankfully it isn't, but it seems that my HDD's are making the drive cage resonate in a funny way since taking out the old cooler... Time to crack out the rubber bands and noise cancellation foam ;)

Ah I definitely won't need to do it then, I'm not overclocking this cpu ;) I did with my FX8320 because it wasn't powerful enough, but the i7 at stock clocks has never had a problem running anything :)

Now last night I noticed an annoying vibration and thought at first it was the pump. Thankfully it isn't, but it seems that my HDD's are making the drive cage resonate in a funny way since taking out the old cooler... Time to crack out the rubber bands and noise cancellation foam ;)
Yea I have noise cancelling foam stuck to the top of my WD Black as it did the same thing, also have the whole cage done and no problems. I see why you get low temps now then, pretty pointless buying a high end cooler and a k series cpu and not overclock it but that's just me. You would actually feel a difference as you tend to get a higher average framerate (especially as you run a high hz monitor.) Still I suppose if you do need extra performance in the future you can overclock. You pay a premium for the K series, so it's very rare to see someone not overclock it like you. ;)

On my my motherboard I don't even have to do anything, just press a button. It doesn't overclock as high as I could get it myself but it's enough for me (4.2ghz)

Hughesy said:

Yea I have noise cancelling foam stuck to the top of my WD Black as it did the same thing, also have the whole cage done and no problems. I see why you get low temps now then, pretty pointless buying a high end cooler and a k series cpu and not overclock it but that's just me. You would actually feel a difference as you tend to get a higher average framerate (especially as you run a high hz monitor.) Still I suppose if you do need extra performance in the future you can overclock. You pay a premium for the K series, so it's very rare to see someone not overclock it like you. ;)
Good good, having my morning cuppa and I'll get on that ;) 

I had planned on doing a bit of overclocking with it, but with the performance I'm getting at stock I just don't feel like I need to yet really. And higher average fps isn't really a problem with the 980 in there too :p It'd help if I was still using the 660 or 770, but with this card any boosting would be overkill lol. 
But exactly, once it gets to a point that it's not giving me the performance I want I'll definitely overclock it then, gives me headroom to do it. That's the main reason I bought the K instead of the standard 4770, I didn't wanna get stuck in a position in the future where I was stuck with the standard frequency and couldn't get more out of the CPU. Better to spend £20 extra for the K version than have to spend another £250 down the line when it started to drop performance right? :)

@RevolvingPrawn‌  So it seems when I changed from water cooling back to air I put too much thermal paste on my GPU. While playing Far Cry 3 earlier it went upto 78c and I thought that was too high considering the cooler I have. Changed it and now it's down to 68c while playing FC3  :D

Easy mistake to make dude, you gotta put a little extra on a GPU anyway right? And thats a really good temp! Both my 770 and 980 hit 80c when I'm gaming lol.

Easy mistake to make dude, you gotta put a little extra on a GPU anyway right? And thats a really good temp! Both my 770 and 980 hit 80c when I'm gaming lol.
Tbh I put less on my GPU than I did my CPU, so maybe if I re did that it would drop as well. I wasn't expecting it to drop that much though, buts it's  inline with what reviews say. Remember you only have the reference cooler which is nowhere near as good (although the reference one looks awesome)

Hey, it's not that bad a cooler :p What's weird is that compared to the MSI Twin Frozr version of the 980 is the reference at idle is around 5c cooler, but at load there's nearly a 12c gap in favour of the TF. Having said that though I haven't upped the fan speed from stock so using a custom curve could probably eat some of that away. No problem really though, these cards are good to 95c before really throttling, plus it does indeed look awesome ;)

Hey, it's not that bad a cooler :p What's weird is that compared to the MSI Twin Frozr version of the 980 is the reference at idle is around 5c cooler, but at load there's nearly a 12c gap in favour of the TF. Having said that though I haven't upped the fan speed from stock so using a custom curve could probably eat some of that away. No problem really though, these cards are good to 95c before really throttling, plus it does indeed look awesome ;)
I never said it was bad but it's not as good ;) Some custom coolers at idle don't have the fan spinning, or at a very slow rpm. Why I never get a reference cooler is because they are noisy compared to a custom cooler. The last one I had that was reference was a ATI 5850 (now AMD) although I know the one Nvidia uses is a lot better. Nvidia cards work to a temp target which is 82c (boost 2.0) although you can change that yourself. After that they don't boost so high, like you said they are fine at 95c but I'd never let my card go above 85c.

Maybe a little bit while you're gaming, but really the PSU fan is louder under load and at idle it's completely silent compared to case fans :) 

Nah I'd never let mine go above that either dude, even at 80c I still worry a little bit even though I know it can handle it, it seems like such a massive temp!

Maybe a little bit while you're gaming, but really the PSU fan is louder under load and at idle it's completely silent compared to case fans :) 

Nah I'd never let mine go above that either dude, even at 80c I still worry a little bit even though I know it can handle it, it seems like such a massive temp!
You must have a very loud PSU then :o You shouldn't be able to hear the fan in a PSU really. The only one I had that was loud was a Corsair one, which is why I won't touch one ever again. I know you love everything Corsair, but they really aren't as good as you think ;). They do make good products but their PSU's are awful.

Talking of noise, I have a high pitched noise coming from somewhere :# Its not coming from any of the fans. I think it could be coming from my Asus Xonar D2X sound card. It doesn't do it every time I turn my PC on and where I sit I can't hear it. The only way to know is to take the soundcard out, but it has an extra power source which is fiddly to plug in so I'm going to leave it for now.

Hughesy said:

You must have a very loud PSU then :o You shouldn't be able to hear the fan in a PSU really. The only one I had that was loud was a Corsair one, which is why I won't touch one ever again. I know you love everything Corsair, but they really aren't as good as you think ;). They do make good products but their PSU's are awful.
Haha yea, it's stupidly loud! But the trouble is it's one of the very first HX series one's so it's a bit outdated :p Gonna be replacing it with Xmas money for a HX850i so I can link it to the H100i so after that it won't be a problem. Apparently that one only spins the fan once it goes above 400w usage so it should be a bit quieter ;)
Not gonna deny that they aren't great, but the trouble now is I've got a bunch of blue braided PSU cables from Corsair and they only fit in their PSU's, if other manufacturers used the same pins it'd be ok, but for me it'd be a waste to have to remove all these cables and go for a different one. Plus the Corsair PSU's look good ;)