Sign in to follow this  

The PC Thread

Herby007 said:
Looking at those pictures of your PC, Joe, makes me really want to go out and buy a proper case  for my PC. I'm still using my old case from my 2006 build of my PC despite nothing in the PC itself remaining from that build. 

On my to do list for my PC:
New Case
New fans/dust filters
SSD

I really want to get a Raspberry Pi as well. No idea why or what I'd use it for other than playing around with it. Heard it's good for streaming, but my chromecast is Godly for that.

Best case I've ever owned to be honest Herby.  Seen them on Hotdeals (Titanium) for £65 a few times.

For me my Nexus 7 is what I mainly use in bed or sat on the couch, it's useful but I do use the laptop more.What I like is that I can set F1 2013 to all medium graphics (still looks better than the 360) and get a solid 60 FPS out of it :p

Not really lol, there's a vent for intake on the front and a vent for output on the left side, but it does get very warm while gaming. It's not something I'm too worried about tho, it's supposed to be able to go up to 105°C but I've never seen it go past 75 :) 
mine does have vents on the side and back and my case does have a window so I would be able to see if anything was wrong and if yours didn't go over 75 then I doubt mine will especially if I'm not overclocking as that puts more stress on the chips therefore making it hotter I would think but like you based on what I've read about my chips as I read you don't need to start worrying until it gets past 70 and what I'm seeing from my system I'm not too worried about it overheating

I like my case because i have a 5 bay Rom holder and a 4 bay HDD holder.
m old Acer PC had 4 HDD holders as well on the bottom only 1 was used though as it only had  1 hard drive in it my current PC has 2 but it does have 6 SATA ports but the SSD will take up another one once I get hold of it.

My specs:

Intel Core i5-4670K overclocked to 3.7GHz right now.
Gigabyte GA-Z87X-D3H MoBo
8GB Kingston HyperX RAM overclocked to 1833MHz
GT 610 1GB GPU
DYNEX 700W PSU
Toshiba 1TB HDD

As soon as I get some cash, I'm looking at upgrading to a GTX770, getting an SSD, and possibly getting a better CPU cooler to OC higher.

My specs:

GT 610 1GB GPU
DYNEX 700W PSU
Toshiba 1TB HDD

As soon as I get some cash, I'm looking at upgrading to a GTX770, getting an SSD, and possibly getting a better CPU cooler to OC higher.
yeah you definitely need to upgrade your graphics the rest of your system looks pretty solid though

My specs:

GT 610 1GB GPU
DYNEX 700W PSU
Toshiba 1TB HDD

yeah you definitely need to upgrade your graphics the rest of your system looks pretty solid though
Yeah, I built the system just buying parts without really planning, just lazily checked to see if the CPU and MoBo where compatible. I ended up running out of money and had to compromise as I needed a new desk, Windows, etc. My GPU will definitely be the next upgrade I make.

I bought a Fractal Design Core 3000 and a Corsair 600CXV2 PSU about a year ago...and that's as far as I got into building a new PC. It's around the time my wife and I started saving up for our move to Canada. Now that I have a steady job and some (very little) disposable income, I'm thinking about buying a part or two every 2 weeks if possible.

I guess at this point I need a new motherboard, RAM, CPU (+ heatsink), GPU, and HDD? Would really like to keep the price for all of those parts under $400. If I could get the price down to $300 (or close) that would be even better. I'm leaning towards an AMD A10-5800K + mid-range AMD GPU (will CrossFire).

I know this isn't top-of-the-line. I'm not aiming for that, nor am I looking to spend that much. I want something that will play current (and future games) on high at 60 fps. I'm just not sure if I should invest in FM2 socket, or if there is something more futureproof out or coming out soon?

SynGamer said:
I bought a Fractal Design Core 3000 and a Corsair 600CXV2 PSU about a year ago...and that's as far as I got into building a new PC. It's around the time my wife and I started saving up for our move to Canada. Now that I have a steady job and some (very little) disposable income, I'm thinking about buying a part or two every 2 weeks if possible.

I guess at this point I need a new motherboard, RAM, CPU (+ heatsink), GPU, and HDD? Would really like to keep the price for all of those parts under $400. If I could get the price down to $300 (or close) that would be even better. I'm leaning towards an AMD A10-5800K + mid-range AMD GPU (will CrossFire).

I know this isn't top-of-the-line. I'm not aiming for that, nor am I looking to spend that much. I want something that will play current (and future games) on high at 60 fps. I'm just not sure if I should invest in FM2 socket, or if there is something more futureproof out or coming out soon?
I threw this together really quickly. You could save some money in a few places, like RAM. Do you have any you could reuse? GPU could be taken up or down, but this is in the 370 dollar range.
http://pcpartpicker.com/p/3nema

All of those parts have decent reviews.

SynGamer said:

I threw this together really quickly. You could save some money in a few places, like RAM. Do you have any you could reuse? GPU could be taken up or down, but this is in the 370 dollar range.

yeah sounds like a decent set of specs for those on a budget

SynGamer said:

I have an old PC inside the case, but everything needs to be replaced. No chance of reusing at this point (aside from emergency purposes). My only concerns with that build is the mobo has some pretty awful reviews, and the HDD is a 5400 RPM. I would definitely spend the extra and get at least a 7200 RPM. The other issue, and this is specific to myself in this case, is I live in Canada, so those prices are going to be a bit higher.

EDIT: it gives me a good idea of pricing and what I could use, which is very helpful. I think I'll start with the mobo (and possibly a CPU combo if Newegg.ca has any) and go from there ever 2-3 weeks.

SynGamer said:
SynGamer said:

I have an old PC inside the case, but everything needs to be replaced. No chance of reusing at this point (aside from emergency purposes). My only concerns with that build is the mobo has some pretty awful reviews, and the HDD is a 5400 RPM. I would definitely spend the extra and get at least a 7200 RPM. The other issue, and this is specific to myself in this case, is I live in Canada, so those prices are going to be a bit higher.

EDIT: it gives me a good idea of pricing and what I could use, which is very helpful. I think I'll start with the mobo (and possibly a CPU combo if Newegg.ca has any) and go from there ever 2-3 weeks.

Is having an ATX board important for you? If not...
http://pcpartpicker.com/part/asrock-motherboard-fm2a75mpro4

And, I just randomly clicked a HDD, I don't know how much storage you need, etc. lol. :p

SynGamer said:
SynGamer said:

I suggest these as alternatives. 

The price ends up being a little higher at $419.75, but it's a better rig overall. 
Faster CPU (Don't bother with an A10), the Asrock mobo is a little better but the AM3+ one does the job (I owned that one with my 8-core), faster RAM, faster and larger HDD (I use the same one as my gaming drive) and a better GPU (don't even bother with the 6670, you'd have to play F1 2010-13 on practically the lowest settings to even get it working and F1 is not all that PC intensive compared to most games). 
Even with that said about the 6670, the 7770 will still be the weak point of that setup, being able to play F1 with mostly medium settings. I've owned both cards at some point and they just aren't good.

CPU: http://www.amazon.com/AMD-FD6300WMHKBOX-FX-6300-Processor-Edition/dp/B009O7YORK/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1396906913&sr=8-1&keywords=amd+fx+6300

Mobo: http://www.amazon.com/Gigabyte-SATA-6Gbps-Motherboards-GA-970A-DS3P/dp/B00DJ3DWN2/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1396906984&sr=8-2&keywords=am3%2B+motherboard

HDD: http://www.amazon.com/WD-Blue-Desktop-Hard-Drive/dp/B0088PUEPK/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1396907183&sr=8-1&keywords=1tb+7200rpm+3.5

RAM: http://www.amazon.com/1600MHz-PC3-12800-Desktop-KHX16C9B1BK2-8X/dp/B00A3VOA3O/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1396907231&sr=8-3&keywords=8gb+ddr3+1600

GPU: http://www.amazon.com/MSI-Radeon-DisplayPort-PCI-Express-R7770-PMD1GD5/dp/B0089KJRLG/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1396907399&sr=8-3&keywords=amd+7770+2gb

Interestingly enough, my laptops GPU is capable of playing F1 2013 on low/med settings (1366x768). http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?cc=us&lc=en&docname=c03610937

Right now, I keep going back and forth between "do I rebuild the PC", or "should I buy a PS4"? I completely forgot I would need to buy a monitor as well, so that's at least another $100, on top of the $400-500 I would be spending on parts (keep in mind I'm in Canada, prices are higher).

A lot to think about and consider. Thank you for the help guys!

Would it be worth running two mid range cards in Crossfire as opposed to just one upper range card? I'm not too familiar with Crossfire but I'd certainly look at the benefits of a single (better model) card over two old GPUs.

Side note, but if anyone is running an Nvidia GPU you should check out this, some great performance gains to be had, including F1 2013.

Loore said:
Would it be worth running two mid range cards in Crossfire as opposed to just one upper range card? I'm not too familiar with Crossfire but I'd certainly look at the benefits of a single (better model) card over two old GPUs.

Side note, but if anyone is running an Nvidia GPU you should check out this, some great performance gains to be had, including F1 2013.
I think the extra heat and power consumption and cost of two lower-end cards would be hard to offset with a single high-end card?

Loore said:

if they're 2 highend cards I'd say go with it but I think Syngamer is right a single higher end card is probably better than 2 lower end ones

I'm with Dustin and sjs on this, a single high-end GPU is better than 2 mid range GPU's in crossfire.
That's what I was getting at :)

@SynGamer said "I'm leaning towards an AMD A10-5800K + mid-range AMD GPU (will CrossFire)." 

Hence my follow up asking if a single high end would be better than two mid range :)

Is there any real performance difference from a GTX 770 to another similarly priced or similarly performing high end AMD card?