Sign in to follow this  

The PC Thread

Nice :) Too much orange on it for me, but my friend wants me to do an "unlimited budget" orange and black build for him next year so I'll keep that mobo in mind.

At the moment I'm really happy with mine, colour scheme fits perfectly and all of the connections are exactly where I want them. If I did want to upgrade from Z87 to Z97 right now though, there just isn't a motherboard that has everything I want. My 2 minimum things are a blue and black colour scheme, and 2x USB 3.0 headers that are either right next to each other or at least very close. Not miles apart like a lot of them do.

Just stuck a pair of cold cathodes into my case, blown away by how bright they are compared to LED's :D 

LED's on full brightness...

LED's at full brightness with cold cathodes turned on...

@RevolvingPrawn‌  Yea I had them when I used watercooling, as I had UV coolant. They are very bright aren't they. :)

ASUS P8Z77-V LK
Intel Core i7-3770K 3.5GHz
16GB DDR3 1600
180 GB Intel SSD
1TB WD BLACK 
2X - 12X LG Blu-Ray Drive
GTX 680 2GB
Corsair 750TXV2 750W Power Supply
Corsair H40 Liquid Cooling
Win 8.0

Hughesy said:
@RevolvingPrawn‌  Yea I had them when I used watercooling, as I had UV coolant. They are very bright aren't they. :)
Blindingly bright! So bright that with where I normally sit one of the tubes is shining straight at my eyes lol, and I've had to flip the switch to turn them off for now :p I'll bet the UV coolant looked incredible with these lights :)

Some nice specs there @Tark9m, any pics of your rig? :)

@revolvingprawn  I will try to post some pics this weekend. I also have 3 x 24in LG monitors on the front of an Ubotto Ozone with a g27. I'll try to post that as well.  

I like it, I wish the R3volution was in my budget, but it wasn't. I am not in love the keyboard tray on the Ozone but it works, and it makes for a very comfortable workstation as well.  My rig is multipurpose so I did not want a dedicated cockpit setup, it photo edits and is a productivity machine as well as a gaming rig.

Right PC monkeys (@revolvingprawn mostly). Metal Gear Soild: Ground Zeroes has come out on the PC and I instabought it. I can play it smooth 60fps on all high, but fuck that jazz it's time for an upgrade as I want full 120fps no scope ultra high graphics.

So Nvidia seems to be the way to head now. I remember you guys chatting awhile back about the best bang for buck card out there - do you mind refreshing my memory or letting me know what is currently the best for around £200? 

Herby007 said:
Right PC monkeys (@revolvingprawn mostly). Metal Gear Soild: Ground Zeroes has come out on the PC and I instabought it. I can play it smooth 60fps on all high, but fuck that jazz it's time for an upgrade as I want full 120fps no scope ultra high graphics.

So Nvidia seems to be the way to head now. I remember you guys chatting awhile back about the best bang for buck card out there - do you mind refreshing my memory or letting me know what is currently the best for around £200? 

The best bang for buck is the GTX 970, think it costs more than £200 though.

Didn't see this before we talked on Steam :p If you wanna game at 120fps though, then it also depends on your monitor bud. If you have a 60hz monitor, going above that will most likely introduce screen tear (one of my most hated things!) So you'd need a 120hz monitor to match the fps. It makes an awesome upgrade though, mines 144hz and it's ultra smooth on the eyes! Using my 60hz monitor at work in comparison, it's like the difference between 30fps and 60fps, everything is just so much smoother.

And I said the same as you @Hughesy :p GTX 970. But with the 960 coming Q1 2015, and the new architecture coming from both AMD and Nvidia next year, best to hold fire for now.

tempted to get that game too atsome stage but will wait until the new year though I've spent moer than enough money lately so need to go through a bit of a quiet spell so I can get on with the games I've purchased recently

Didn't see this before we talked on Steam :p If you wanna game at 120fps though, then it also depends on your monitor bud. If you have a 60hz monitor, going above that will most likely introduce screen tear (one of my most hated things!) So you'd need a 120hz monitor to match the fps. It makes an awesome upgrade though, mines 144hz and it's ultra smooth on the eyes! Using my 60hz monitor at work in comparison, it's like the difference between 30fps and 60fps, everything is just so much smoother.

And I said the same as you @Hughesy :p GTX 970. But with the 960 coming Q1 2015, and the new architecture coming from both AMD and Nvidia next year, best to hold fire for now.
Yea that crossed my mind after I posted, there's no point playing at 120fps on a 60hz monitor.

Hope yours works properly unlike mine :( But then I do seem to be jinxed with electrical products.... :#

Hughesy said:
Hope yours works properly unlike mine :( But then I do seem to be jinxed with electrical products.... :#
Seems to be all good so far :) I did test it before fully putting it in, so I knew it worked, but it's actually working flawlessly for once lol. Soon as I booted up, Corsair Link recognised it and added a 'Power' tab in the software, and the fan hasn't even ran yet apart from when I pressed the test button. Plus this one doesn't make any swishing noises! Ran a benchmark, power didn't go over 268W so the fan didn't even spin :) 

Next upgrade is a Corsair Force LS 256GB SSD ;)

@RevolvingPrawn‌  I know you don't use it but the new version of Afterburner looks awesome. :) 
http://www.guru3d.com/news-story/guess-what-we-will-be-releasing-today.html

Nah, I use Precision X dude, had a few small niggles with Afterburner that I didn't get with Precision. 

Plus, that new version wouldn't fit my colour scheme ;)

Sat in Scan Computers :) This place is awesome, they had @Hughesy's wheel on a pneumatic rig set in the middle of curved screens with the F1 wheel stuck on it :) There's a racing game running but they've barriered the area off so I can't have a go :( 

Sat in Scan Computers :) This place is awesome, they had @Hughesy's wheel on a pneumatic rig set in the middle of curved screens with the F1 wheel stuck on it :) There's a racing game running but they've barriered the area off so I can't have a go :( 
Didn't know they had an actual store, where is it? And when did they steal my wheel o:) 

It's in Bolton dude, couple of miles from my dads house, and a couple extra miles from my brothers :) First time I ever went in there was 2009, they had the 2007 BMW Sauber car in there at the time and a load of simulators set up :) It's an awesome place to visit, mainly because they have things in the store that aren't on the website. If you're ever up this way it's like Toys'R'Us for enthusiasts :D 

Finally bought myself a SSD! Only been wanting one for around 2 years. 

Also bought some new PC fans and dust filters. Woo! 

Herby007 said:
Finally bought myself a SSD! Only been wanting one for around 2 years. 

Also bought some new PC fans and dust filters. Woo! 
Awesome dude! You'll love it :) Gonna be fitting another into mine when I get home :) What fans did you go for?

Corsair Air Series AF120-LED 120mm Quiet Edition High Airflow LED Fan - Red (Dual Pack)

And yeah, the amount of stuff I've read about it being the best upgrade your PC can get has finally got me to click order. Went in the end for a different SSD than the one you recommended though, went for a Samsung 250GB 850 EVO

Seems to get a lot of support from places such as anandtech and Toms Hardware, as well as the Amazon reviews for this and the previous series (840) being highly rated. Also, the software for copying Windows 7 over will make my life so much easier since I don't have a Windows disc to do a clean install.