F1 2020 | KNOWN KEY ISSUES | READ ME!!! Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  

The PC Thread

Playing The Wolf Among Us at 4k using DSR, it really does look pin sharp at this res, although it already looked good at 1440p

Just cloned my 128GB boot SSD to my new Corsair Force LS 240GB SSD, managed to reassign the drive letters without much fuss and it's working all good! Doing that was much smoother than I imagined it would be :)

So I just bricked my computer. Not sure how, was installing new fans and thought I'd re-wire my system. Got it all wired back up and it only turns on for 0.1 of a second. Tried re-wiring again, stripping it back down to just CPU, RAM and Mobo...nothing. Went out and bought a new PSU...nothing.

The mobo light stays on but that's it. Guessing I've fried the motherboard. Dunno if i should just bite the bullet and buy a new mobo at comp shop tomorrow or plan an upgrade. The CPU wont be dead as well...will it?

Herby007 said:
So I just bricked my computer. Not sure how, was installing new fans and thought I'd re-wire my system. Got it all wired back up and it only turns on for 0.1 of a second. Tried re-wiring again, stripping it back down to just CPU, RAM and Mobo...nothing. Went out and bought a new PSU...nothing.

The mobo light stays on but that's it. Guessing I've fried the motherboard. Dunno if i should just bite the bullet and buy a new mobo at comp shop tomorrow or plan an upgrade. The CPU wont be dead as well...will it?
Hmm sounds like a ram problem to me, I take it you had it unplugged when re wiring? Have you tried it with just one stick of memory? My Mobo has a button to reset all its settings (not sure if yours does) Also have you made sure you have to right cable plugged into the cpu power? And do you have a fan plugged into the cpu fan header? You could be right though about your motherboard (I hope not) but I'm not sure how you could've fried it. 

What at motherboard do you have? You could remove the cmos battery for a few seconds, then put it back in and try again.

Unplugged during the "operation". Only have 1 stick of 4GB Ram so can't really test that, unfortunately. No button on mobo to reset it (was a fairly cheap motherboard) and yeah, made sure the cables are in the right places. When I was re-wiring I did it wire by wire and I've cross-referenced with the motherboard manual. And yeah, fan plugged into the CPU fan header (visibly moves 2mm when i turns on for 0.1 of a second).

I'm going to keep playing around with it tonight. Since the motherboard was the cheapest part of the build I wouldn't be surprised (and it was what killed my last PC). I'm thinking when I was fiddling around I might of at some stage now grounded myself or something. So annoyed.

EDIT: Haven't tried removing the CMOS battery, will do that just now. It's a ASUS P8H61-MX/USB3 S1155 Intel H61 DDR3 mATX

Hate it when there's a problem like that, when there's no visible reason as to why it won't work :# Hope you find a fix mate.

Removed it from case, removed all wires except for what is absolutely necessary...

AND IT TURNED ON.

Something in the case touching the motherboard causing it to short? Looks like I'm in for an evening of slowly adding things to find the cause of the problem.

Herby007 said:
Removed it from case, removed all wires except for what is absolutely necessary...

AND IT TURNED ON.

Something in the case touching the motherboard causing it to short? Looks like I'm in for an evening of slowly adding things to find the cause of the problem.
Awesome! Hope it all goes smoothly mate, I had a similar problem a while ago. Can't remember what caused it, but I had to do what you've just done and it worked :)

Right, so explain this if you can...at each step I turn the computer on to confirm it is working.

Put the Motherboard back into place.
Screw Motherboard back in.
Reattach Sound cable.
Reattach USB cable.
Re-wire cable that attaches to motherboard (24 pin one or to that effect). Dead.
Remove wire and reattach, ensuring it is secure. Dead.
Remove entire Motherboard, all wires again except for essential. Works again!

So my attempts at re-wiring seemed to kill it. Dodgy motherboard connection for the 24 pin wire? (I keep calling it that, its the thick essential wire). 

Going to repeat the steps above but attempt re-wiring it at stage 2 instead of screwing the mobo back in.

24 pin is what I call it, and what most people do :p Suppose you could call it an ATX cable but 24 pin is universal.

Could be your mobo is being shorted by the case from the sounds of it, might have something to do with your motherboard standoffs or something conductive touching part of the board that it shouldn't.

It's got to be something in the case shorting it, sounds like it anyway. Have you tried it without the sound and USB cable plugged in?

Just thinking about it.. This is your new case right @Herby007? If it is, and you can't figure out what's causing the problem, might be worth trying your old case again and if that works then send back the new one and look for an alternative bud.

I am happy to report I'm typing this post from my computer :smile: 

It was either the case or a dodgy connection between the 24 pin and the pin slot. Since it was happening with both PSUs, it was most likely the case or the pin slot. Either way, it's back up and running and I've done a little bit of wire management.

I'll have to crack open the case tomorrow most likely (as the SSD is coming) so I'll be extra careful, but I think I'll invest in a new motherboard sooner rather than later.

Just hooked my PC to this chubby little thing.

Been having a stupid amount of power cuts recently so with this thing, when the power goes off it gives me 15 minutes of battery power at 390W, so I can shutdown my PC properly :) Considering my PC only uses around 80W idling or web browsing, and just under 300W while playing most games, and my monitor which plugs into it too uses 35W, it should be powerful enough to handle my system and give me time to sort out my PC properly. That's right, screw you nature/power company/god (fake), ain't gonna stop me from using my PC!

And the best part, it was reduced from £88 to £33 including postage :)

SSD in, Windows 7 transferred to it, all the behind the scenes stuff done...my goodness what a difference it makes.

Herby007 said:
SSD in, Windows 7 transferred to it, all the behind the scenes stuff done...my goodness what a difference it makes.
It's phenomenal right? :D Hard to believe how much difference and SSD can make to performance!

I'm surprised anyone still uses a HDD for windows, as they are slow. I suppose until you get one you don't believe people when they say what a difference they make.

Herby007 said:
It's phenomenal right? :D Hard to believe how much difference and SSD can make to performance!
Indeed me too I was suprised how much faster my computer was performing as well when I switched to SSD

Hughesy said:
I'm surprised anyone still uses a HDD for windows, as they are slow. I suppose until you get one you don't believe people when they say what a difference they make.
Lol you just described my brother :p He says he's happy with his HDD and that if he got an SSD he'd only consider a 500gb one but they're too expensive. He's running a GTX 770 and an i7 4770k so his machine is pretty quick anyway, but when I tell him how quickly things go with an SSD he's just like "But my PC does that already" lol.

Hughesy said:
Lol you just described my brother :p He says he's happy with his HDD and that if he got an SSD he'd only consider a 500gb one but they're too expensive. He's running a GTX 770 and an i7 4770k so his machine is pretty quick anyway, but when I tell him how quickly things go with an SSD he's just like "But my PC does that already" lol.
He sounds like my brother :p

Hughesy said:
yeah they aer expensive but certainly worth it if you can afford it that's kind of why I went for a bigger one to give me room for using other programs and such on it too.

Hughesy said:
yeah they aer expensive but certainly worth it if you can afford it that's kind of why I went for a bigger one to give me room for using other programs and such on it too.
I have two 256GB SSDs and have all the games I play a lot on them, but if I need room I just use a program called steam tool to move them. :)

For me it's 240gb SSD for OS and program files (160gb free atm), a 120gb SSD for games that only has FC4 on it right now, a 1TB HDD for games (about 450gb free), and 3TB more for movies, pics, and recordings. 

Hughesy said:
I'm still using a HDD and will be for many years to come don't see the point going SSD when they have limited life span. But thats me mines still going strong so no need to upgrade.

Hughesy said:
I'm still using a HDD and will be for many years to come don't see the point going SSD when they have limited life span. But thats me mines still going strong so no need to upgrade.
Limited life span? The general consensus is that and SSD will last as long as an HDD, and in most cases longer.
No moving parts = Less things to go wrong.