Sign in to follow this  

The PC Thread

Hughesy said:
I'm surprised anyone still uses a HDD for windows, as they are slow. I suppose until you get one you don't believe people when they say what a difference they make.
I'm still using a HDD and will be for many years to come don't see the point going SSD when they have limited life span. But thats me mines still going strong so no need to upgrade.
Limited life span? The general consensus is that and SSD will last as long as an HDD, and in most cases longer.
No moving parts = Less things to go wrong.
I guess it all depends on what your using it for :) Was reading earlier that if you paging files on a SSD that it will shorten it's life if not used properly.

Hughesy said:
I'm surprised anyone still uses a HDD for windows, as they are slow. I suppose until you get one you don't believe people when they say what a difference they make.
I'm still using a HDD and will be for many years to come don't see the point going SSD when they have limited life span. But thats me mines still going strong so no need to upgrade.
Limited life span? The general consensus is that and SSD will last as long as an HDD, and in most cases longer.
I guess it all depends on what your using it for :) Was reading earlier that if you paging files on a SSD that it will shorten it's life if not used properly.
Well, the way I've read it, if you are constantly reading and writing large files on an SSD, that will shorten its lifespan to the point that a HDD is a much better option. But for general use with the average person an SSD will last easily as long as an HDD and longer too mostly.

@Herby007 Apparently Nvidia will be announcing 3 new graphics cards this month, GTX 960, GTX 960 Ti, and GTX 965 Ti. Word is that the 960 Ti performance will be just below the GTX 780, and the 965 Ti will be just above, so hopefully one of them will fall into your £200 budget dude :)

Awesome. Think I'm going to buy another stick of ram first, then graphics card. So by March I'll be in the market for the card.

Hughesy said:
Hughesy said:
Lol you just described my brother :p He says he's happy with his HDD and that if he got an SSD he'd only consider a 500gb one but they're too expensive. He's running a GTX 770 and an i7 4770k so his machine is pretty quick anyway, but when I tell him how quickly things go with an SSD he's just like "But my PC does that already" lol.
yeah they aer expensive but certainly worth it if you can afford it that's kind of why I went for a bigger one to give me room for using other programs and such on it too.
I have two 256GB SSDs and have all the games I play a lot on them, but if I need room I just use a program called steam tool to move them. :)
yeah my computer only has links for 2 hdd's though so going for 2 smaller ones wouldn't have made any sense I went for a bigger one and a 3tb HDD besides it's working well for me anyway it has space for more but I don't really need it as it would mean changing the power unit as well and seeing as I don't need more space it's not really worth it.

Hughesy said:
It's all bull and scare mongering. A SSD will last longer than a HDD no matter what. Like a HDD, if you buy a shit one it won't (like any PC part)

@Herby007 What card will you be looking at? As I'll probably be selling my MSI twin Frozr 780 gaming edition by then, probably for pretty cheap. ;)

@Hughesy @sjsharp2010 Seems Microsoft is using names from Halo for some of their new products :p First we have Cortana, now the new browser for Windows 10 is codenamed Spartan. I kinda hope they keep that name for it, less of a mouthful than Internet Explorer lol.

Guys, I am starting up a Project Cars Formula A/B PC League (whichever turns out best) shortly after release. We will then either continue with it or move to F1 2015 when that comes out (if I can ever forgive CM for not fixing 2014). It will be traction control/abs free (hence the forced ditching of F1 2014) and run on Tuesdays. 

If any of you are interested, please let me know.

PS:- Took your advice and have ordered this from palicomp plus 3 x 28" monitors:-

WARRANTY: 3 YEAR RETURN TO BASE Warranty 
POWER SUPPLY: 650W PSU - CORSAIR VS - 85% Efficiency (Low/Mid Gaming) 
INTEL HASWELL CPU: Intel Core i7 4790 - 4+4 Cores @ 3.6Ghz (Turbo 4Ghz) + 8MB CACHE 
INTEL HASWELL MOTHERBOARD: ASUS Z97-K - USB2.0, USB3.0, SATA6 + XFIRE 
RAM.: 16GB DDR3 1333Mhz - CRUCIAL 
SOLID STATE HDD (SSD): 120GB KINGSTON V300 SATA3 - 6Gb/s 
MASTER HARD DRIVE: 2TB SEAGATE SATA3 - 6Gb/s, 7200 RPM & 64MB Cache 
MASTER OPTICAL DRIVE.: LG 10X BLU-RAY Re-Writer, Reader & DVDRW All In One 
GRAPHICS CARD (PCI-E): nVIDIA GeForce GTX970 4GB PCI-E 3.0 Ready 
SOFTWARE: WINDOWS 7 Premium - 64 Bit Inc DVD/Licence 
PERFORMANCE TUNING: ADVANCED - OS Tuning For Best Performance For Windows7 
COOLING: Pack Of 2 x Case Fans Silent & Powerful, Highly Recommended To Reduce Overall System Temperture & Prolong Life Of PC (If This Spec Already Has Max Case Fans We Will Upgrade The Standard Ones To Silent Versions)

Came to around £1600 including monitors. Thanks for help Hughesy et al.

Hughesy said:
yeah it depends on what you use it for if you're using it  as a basic computer hard drive like a gaming PC like what we use life span won't be a problem and it does allow computers to run more at optimal speeds. It only becomes a problem if you use it in something like a machine being used as a server as dealing with lots and large files is what kills it. Not general stuff.

@Hughesy @sjsharp2010 Seems Microsoft is using names from Halo for some of their new products :p First we have Cortana, now the new browser for Windows 10 is codenamed Spartan. I kinda hope they keep that name for it, less of a mouthful than Internet Explorer lol.
yeah I noticed that myself

Spartan has been used for numerous products so it wouldn't be the first time companies have done that :)

@couger1981 Guessing you've never played a Halo game? :p Cortana is an AI in the game, and Microsoft have used that name for their version of Apple's Siri. Master Chief, the main character, is a Spartan II soldier, and they've codenamed the browser Spartan. Plus the Halo games were Microsoft Xbox exclusive, and Microsoft Studios published the Halo games so... 

Next thing will be some software named Warthog, Locke, or Flood.

@couger1981 Guessing you've never played a Halo game? :p Cortana is an AI in the game, and Microsoft have used that name for their version of Apple's Siri. Master Chief, the main character, is a Spartan II soldier, and they've codenamed the browser Spartan. Plus the Halo games were Microsoft Xbox exclusive, and Microsoft Studios published the Halo games so... 

Yep played and finished every Halo game up to number 4 including reach :)

I've played 1,2,3 and 4 looking forward to ODST when they release it Reach looks good but unless they release it on XB1 I won't get that chance. Will play them again at some point too as it was good fun or at least 1-3 were. Not quite so sure about 4 it looked good enough graphics wise but some of the levels could have done with more thought because at times it felt more like a COD shooting gallery

I've played 1,2,3 and 4 looking forward to ODST when they release it Reach looks good but unless they release it on XB1 I won't get that chance. Will play them again at some point too as it was good fun or at least 1-3 were. Not quite so sure about 4 it looked good enough graphics wise but some of the levels could have done with more thought because at times it felt more like a COD shooting gallery
ODST was one of the Halo games after 3 i was looking forward to, but the game let me down once i got it :(

Guys... The game thread this is not :p I was merely pointing out that Microsoft is using Halo names for it's products, no need to debate which of the games you've played lol.

Guys... The game thread this is not :p I was merely pointing out that Microsoft is using Halo names for it's products, no need to debate which of the games you've played lol.
Says the king of derailing, choo choo :p

Such Halo, much wow :P

I have a question that I've so far been unable to figure out myself... There's a program on my PC that runs at startup, and I want it to, but it always opens a window and I have to close it every time I boot up. Is there any way to keep it running as a startup program but stop it from always popping up on screen? 

I have a question that I've so far been unable to figure out myself... There's a program on my PC that runs at startup, and I want it to, but it always opens a window and I have to close it every time I boot up. Is there any way to keep it running as a startup program but stop it from always popping up on screen? 
What program is it? Most programs (like say msi afterburner) have a button saying " minimize at startup"

Hughesy said:
What program is it? Most programs (like say msi afterburner) have a button saying " minimize at startup"
It's the program that monitors my UPS, and shuts my PC down after 15 minutes of battery power. Not something that will get used all that often, but definitely useful to have at startup lol. Looked through every option though and there's nothing relating to starting minimised or anything :(

Hughesy said:
It's the program that monitors my UPS, and shuts my PC down after 15 minutes of battery power. Not something that will get used all that often, but definitely useful to have at startup lol. Looked through every option though and there's nothing relating to starting minimised or anything :(
If there's nothing in the program itself to do it then I don't think you can do anything.

Hmm one of the fans on my 780 makes a clicking noise every now and again at a certain speed :( I wear headphones when gaming but these sort of things annoy me. It's not noisy but my ears pickup on strange noises. Wish Nvidia would bring out a better card than the 980 as I know they can. 20% faster than a 780 isn't good enough, 50% and I'd buy a new card.

The fact that AMD still have the fastest single GPU even though it's a lot old than the 900 series says it all. They will bring new cards out soon and will blow Nvidia out of the water, but I don't want to go back to the red side. I hate that Nvidia bring out a new series but hold back on their best card for months :|

My daily rant over o:)

Hey, the 980 is still a beast ;) And uses so much less power compared to the 295X2 :p You'd probably need 3x 980's to use the same amount of power as AMD's best single GPU.