Sign in to follow this  

The PC Thread

Hey, the 980 is still a beast ;) And uses so much less power compared to the 295X2 :p You'd probably need 3x 980's to use the same amount of power as AMD's best single GPU.
Couldn't give a shit about how much power it uses, maybe England would become warmer then. Wish Nvidia would do the same, as they could make a real beast then. The fact it's only 20% faster than what I have is piss poor. Hope the green team make a full fat GPU this year, as it's clear they didn't make the 980 as good as it could've been. Not saying it's bad, but the price is considering how cheap a 780 or 970 is, while only being slightly slower.

Btw I'm not saying the 980 isn't impresive, but if you asked most PC gamers what they'd rather have, they'd  say more fps at a cost of using more power ;) The money you saved on electricity would be lost at having to upgrade sooner, if you see what I mean.

Hughesy said:
Hey, the 980 is still a beast ;) And uses so much less power compared to the 295X2 :p You'd probably need 3x 980's to use the same amount of power as AMD's best single GPU.
Couldn't give a shit about how much power it uses, maybe England would become warmer then. Wish Nvidia would do the same, as they could make a real beast then. The fact it's only 20% faster than what I have is piss poor. Hope the green team make a full fat GPU this year, as it's clear they didn't make the 980 as good as it could've been. Not saying it's bad, but the price is considering how cheap a 780 or 970 is, while only being slightly slower.

Btw I'm not saying the 980 isn't impresive, but if you asked most PC gamers what they'd rather have, they'd  say more fps at a cost of using more power ;) The money you saved on electricity would be lost at having to upgrade sooner, if you see what I mean.
I feel like you've insulted my baby :'( Honestly though, I love my 980 dude, the only game it's ever had a problem with is Far Cry 4, which is due to FC4 being craply made. Otherwise it's been bulletproof, and gives me some incredible graphics. 

As for the power, I'm actually really happy it uses less power, mainly because I could get another and Sli them without having to upgrade PSU. I mean, look at the 295X2's recommended PSU, 850w for the single GPU. The 980 is 500w. And the TDP for the X2 is 500w compared to 165w for the 980, so the fact that it's the closest GPU to it yet uses 203% less power to do that is amazing to me. 
165w x3 = 495 btw ;)

Did you miss the part where I said the GPU is good? It's just nowhere near as good as it could've been. Also don't go SLI, I wouldn't wish that on my worst enemy :# So many games don't support sli, and the ones that do always have problems. It's already known amongst the PC community that Nvidia cut back on what the 980 was going to be, otherwise it would edge into Titan territory ;)

Hughesy said:
Did you miss the part where I said the GPU is good? It's just nowhere near as good as it could've been. Also don't go SLI, I wouldn't wish that on my worst enemy :# So many games don't support sli, and the ones that do always have problems. It's already known amongst the PC community that Nvidia cut back on what the 980 was going to be, otherwise it would edge into Titan territory ;)
I did :p 

Nah, I did think about it for a little while, but then I considered the lack of support and the current price of a 980 reference and decided against it. I'm sat here now though all like, what can I upgrade next? And there's nothing I can think of lol. Gonna get some new RAM soon, 16GB again and 1866Mhz, but not because it'll make any difference (it won't lol) but because the Vengeance Pro sticks look awesome ;)

Back to the 980 though, from what I understand, it overclocks extremely well, so maybe one day I'll push it up a bit and see how much more performance I can really get out of it :)

If it's anything like my 780 then it should overclock well, mine is as fast as a 780ti o:) You have a reference one so it probably won't overclock as well as some. I'm surprised you haven't already though, as you'll get a huge boost (and it won't damage the card in any way) It would be better if you had a better air cooler.

If you look at reviews you'll see how much you gain. Don't think I've ever ran a GPU at stock clocks as it doesn't make sense to, it's really easy and free performance :) 

I won't be uploading any more PCars videos I don't think, as it doesn't seem like people are as interested as I thought they were (even though everyone keeps saying how excited they are about it) It's not to do with the amount of views as I couldn't care less about that.

I thought it would create some buzz around the forum considering everyone here likes racing, but this place is dead most days for some reason. I left my PC on over night to upload the latest vid. I was going to upload one with me racing AI but I don't see the point when nobody wants to talk about it :# lol

Hughesy said:
If it's anything like my 780 then it should overclock well, mine is as fast as a 780ti o:) You have a reference one so it probably won't overclock as well as some. I'm surprised you haven't already though, as you'll get a huge boost (and it won't damage the card in any way) It would be better if you had a better air cooler.

If you look at reviews you'll see how much you gain. Don't think I've ever ran a GPU at stock clocks as it doesn't make sense to, it's really easy and free performance :) 

I won't be uploading any more PCars videos I don't think, as it doesn't seem like people are as interested as I thought they were (even though everyone keeps saying how excited they are about it) It's not to do with the amount of views as I couldn't care less about that.

I thought it would create some buzz around the forum considering everyone here likes racing, but this place is dead most days for some reason. I left my PC on over night to upload the latest vid. I was going to upload one with me racing AI but I don't see the point when nobody wants to talk about it :# lol
I think that's more down to the fact there isn't a huge amount going on at the moment once the F1 season get's closer to starting and we get some news on F1 2015 then perhaps that'll change. I've been busying myself with the DA series almost through 2 as I'm on the last act. Then it'll be time to start the Inquisition. I know more or less how I'm going to play my first playthrough and how I'm going to have my Inquisitor look it's just a case of setting it up

Hey sorry for being a n00b, but I'm planning on building a PC in the next couple of weeks, and I was wondering if you could take a look at the specs I've come up with. I also know that the Skylake architecture from Intel is coming later this year, so would it be worth waiting for the new CPU's then?

Kingston Hyper X Fury 8GB RAM
Intel Core i5 4690K
CoolerMaster N300 Case
Gigabyte GA-Z97-D3H Motherboard
EVGA GeForce GTX 970 Superclocked 4GB Graphics Card
Corsair VS650 ATX Power Supply
Kingston Hyper X Fury 240 GB SSD
Corsair Hydro Series H60 SE CPU Cooler

Hey sorry for being a n00b, but I'm planning on building a PC in the next couple of weeks, and I was wondering if you could take a look at the specs I've come up with. I also know that the Skylake architecture from Intel is coming later this year, so would it be worth waiting for the new CPU's then?

Kingston Hyper X Fury 8GB RAM
Intel Core i5 4690K
CoolerMaster N300 Case
Gigabyte GA-Z97-D3H Motherboard
EVGA GeForce GTX 970 Superclocked 4GB Graphics Card
Corsair VS650 ATX Power Supply
Kingston Hyper X Fury 240 GB SSD
Corsair Hydro Series H60 SE CPU Cooler
All looks great, and no there's no point waiting for Skylake. I have a 3570k (Ivy bridge) and it'll stay in my PC for atleast another two years I think. Intel don't tend to make each new gen much faster than the last, as they are so far ahead of AMD.

@RevolvingPrawn‌ My fans on my 780 is clicking more now :( When I get the money back from the TX wheel, I may get a 980 (even after my rant last night) lol

Anyone recommend a Browser that isn't a resource hog? currently using Firefox and Chrome, i find them both demanding on resources.

The only thing I could really suggest is a different case. With the one you've chosen, it'd be like putting a Ferrari engine in a Nissan Micra :p 

For around the same price range, I'd say any of these would be better...
http://www.scan.co.uk/products/zalman-r1-black-mid-tower-case-with-side-window-w-o-psu
http://www.scan.co.uk/products/enermax-thorex-black-mid-tower-gaming-case-with-black-interior-with-side-window-usb-30-and-120mm-qui
http://www.scan.co.uk/products/enermax-eca3250-b-ostrog-usb-30-black-mid-tower-case-with-side-grill-panel-w-o-psu
http://www.scan.co.uk/products/cit-dominator-case-with-4-x120mm-blue-led-fans-usb3-card-reader-black-interior-and-fan-controller
http://www.scan.co.uk/products/antec-gx500-black-mid-tower-gaming-case-with-3x-120mm-quiet-fans-w-o-psu
http://www.scan.co.uk/products/enermax-eca3250-bw-ostrog-usb-30-black-white-atx-midi-tower-case-w-o-psu (The one I'd go for of this bunch, because of removable HDD bays)

And say for a bit extra, I'd look at this...
http://www.scan.co.uk/products/corsair-carbide-series-spec-01-blue-led-aggressive-gaming-case

But for a proper case and without worrying too much about budget, something more like this would be where I'd go. Love this case, the cable management is just amazing, and it looks fantastic! Search Google Images and have a look at what they've done with the GPU power cables, I was drooling a little bit ;)
http://www.scan.co.uk/products/nzxt-source-340-compact-black-mid-tower-case-with-side-window-and-2x-120mm-quiet-fans

Hughesy said:
  @RevolvingPrawn‌ My fans on my 780 is clicking more now :( When I get the money back from the TX wheel, I may get a 980 (even after my rant last night) lol
What about the warranty for your 780 dude? Aren't they normally 2-3 years?

Hughesy said:
Probably, but they may say it's not bad enough to be replaced, plus I don't want to be without a GPU for how ever long it takes. I'm going to wait for now to see if it gets worse. Btw just reading that the 380x is going to be faster than the 980! If true AMD will be well on top, especially if they price it at 970, God knows how fast the 390x will be.

Really want to stick with Nvidia but I also want value for money which the 980 doesn't really offer. I hope there's some real news soon, as it's good for everyone if AMD kick Nvidia off the top step. Nvidia have been charging way too much in the last few years. They need strong competition, and it seems AMD are waking up. If Nvdia bring out a 980ti imagine how much it'll cost :#

Hughesy said:
Hughesy said:
Probably, but they may say it's not bad enough to be replaced, plus I don't want to be without a GPU for how ever long it takes. I'm going to wait for now to see if it gets worse. Btw just reading that the 380x is going to be faster than the 980! If true AMD will be well on top, especially if they price it at 970, God knows how fast the 390x will be.

Really want to stick with Nvidia but I also want value for money which the 980 doesn't really offer. I hope there's some real news soon, as it's good for everyone if AMD kick Nvidia off the top step. Nvidia have been charging way too much in the last few years. They need strong competition, and it seems AMD are waking up. If Nvdia bring out a 980ti imagine how much it'll cost :#
Nah that's fair enough. Though personally I'd rather switch to onboard graphics for a week or 2 while my GPU was fixed rather than splash out £450 again ;) I'd just game on my X1 or laptop in the gap.

I really can't see AMD pricing that thing around the 970 though :p Especially if the rumours that it's also watercooled are true. I'd guess it'll be somewhere between £500-£600 at minimum. 
AMD are definitely waking up, no doubt about that, they've made some great cards recently and it's gonna be cool to see the new bunch of cards coming this year, I just don't like how much power their cards require compared to Nvidia's is all. For budget PC gamers they are absolutely the go-to, and I'd recommend them for anyone working with a smaller budget. And while Nvidia are overpriced, what you get overall is still better to me. Like more frequent drivers and much better driver update software with features like Shadowplay (plus I love being able to control the LED writing on my ref. cooler :p), and more performance using less power.

For now though, it's probably best to debate this stuff when the proper specs for the AMD cards are released, and hopefully when Nvidia announce a 980Ti :p 

I don't have a laptop, and onboard wouldn't run any games at an acceptable level. I don't really have anything I want to play on consoles at the moment. I can't stop playing DAI so I need my PC. I'll be buying a new GPU sooner or later so I wouldn't be wasting money, but I'm going to wait for now.

Hughesy said:
I don't have a laptop, and onboard wouldn't run any games at an acceptable level. I don't really have anything I want to play on consoles at the moment. I can't stop playing DAI so I need my PC. I'll be buying a new GPU sooner or later so I wouldn't be wasting money, but I'm going to wait for now.
No, they certainly wouldn't, but you game a lot more than I do :p Think I last played a game on Monday and every other night I've been too dead from going back to work to think about gaming lol. So I could probably go a week without my GPU, even though it'd make my PC look less sexy ;)
Probably is best to wait, agreed on that, plus it won't be very long till the new ones drop now :)

Hughesy said:
No, they certainly wouldn't, but you game a lot more than I do :p Think I last played a game on Monday and every other night I've been too dead from going back to work to think about gaming lol. So I could probably go a week without my GPU, even though it'd make my PC look less sexy ;)
Probably is best to wait, agreed on that, plus it won't be very long till the new ones drop now :)
I have no social life, hence playing games a lot :p It's the only thing that lets me escape my crippled body :#

Hughesy said:
Hughesy said:
I have no social life, hence playing games a lot :p It's the only thing that lets me escape my crippled body :#
same here @Hughesy same here

Left my PC for a while, and for some reason the GPU fans were set at only 34%. I had DAI on and GPU temp was 95c! :# Must be where I was messing with fan rpm to see when the noise kicked in. Just set fans to 100% and temp went down to 63c within a minute, just shows how good the Twin Frozr cooler is :o

Hughesy said:
Left my PC for a while, and for some reason the GPU fans were set at only 34%. I had DAI on and GPU temp was 95c! :# Must be where I was messing with fan rpm to see when the noise kicked in. Just set fans to 100% and temp went down to 63c within a minute, just shows how good the Twin Frozr cooler is :o
You use Afterburner right? Every time I've tried that software it's made my GPU fans do silly things :# Load temps were OK with it, but idle temps were always higher using that than without. I don't get that though with Precision X ;)

Hughesy said:
You use Afterburner right? Every time I've tried that software it's made my GPU fans do silly things :# Load temps were OK with it, but idle temps were always higher using that than without. I don't get that though with Precision X ;)
Yes but it was my fault as I didn't click my fan curve on. If you had problems then it was most likely your fault bud, not pressing the right thing ;) Precision X uses the same code as I said a while ago (they literally stole/copied the code) :p

Hughesy said:
Hughesy said:
Yes but it was my fault as I didn't click my fan curve on. If you had problems then it was most likely your fault bud, not pressing the right thing ;) Precision X uses the same code as I said a while ago (they literally stole/copied the code) :p
I didn't press anything :p I only downloaded it so I could monitor my clock speeds, and next thing I know the damn thing was messing with my fan speed lol. I left everything at default. 

Maybe so, but it still works better for me ;)

@RevolvingPrawn‌ Ahh for God sake looks like the bearing has failed, as I can see oil on the cooler! Just seeing if it's in warrenty or not. I'll try posting a pic in a bit :(

http://i1172.photobucket.com/albums/r577/hughesyboozy/imagejpg1-1.jpg

Hughesy said:
@RevolvingPrawn‌ Ahh for God sake looks like the bearing has failed, as I can see oil on the cooler! Just seeing if it's in warrenty or not. I'll try posting a pic in a bit :(

http://i1172.photobucket.com/albums/r577/hughesyboozy/imagejpg1-1.jpg

Ah man that sucks. It may not state it in the warranty, but I've found a statement from MSI about leaking fan oil and I'll paste it below. It mentions bit-coin mining specifically but I'd ignore that, and it also says to RMA if you get leaking oil. So I'd say as long as your still within the warranty, getit sent in and fixed bud.

Oh and also, the MSI warranty for a GPU is 3 years from the date the card was manufactured, which is a bit cheeky as most are from the date of purchase.

"MSI Statement RE: Fan Oil Issue

Hi Guys,

Thanks to OCUK Staff members for bringing this forum topic to our attention.

We are aware that some customers have been experiencing issues with our latest AMD GAMING Graphics Cards, notably the R9 Series.

MSI takes this issue seriously.

What is the issue?
Some cards manufactured pre-January are experiencing oil leakage from the fans.

How is this caused?
Oil leaks from the fans hub when the fans are spinning at 100% over a long period of time under high heat conditions.

Why is this happening?
We have seen a huge spike in sales numbers since late November when the BitCoin-Cryptocurrency mining craze started to kick off. Thus, customers have been using our R9 Series of GAMING Graphics Cards since mid-December to mine coins over a 24-HR, 7 days a week period which these cards are not designed for.

The details...
Basically our cards are designed mainly for one thing.. gaming (the clue's in the name). They are not intended for use under "industrial" load conditions where they would be needed to run flat-out continuously day after day, week after week with potential high heat levels.

MSI HQ have been working on the fix since late December to make some changes to our Twin Frozr coolers to stop this from happening. At the centre of the fan there is a 3mm gap inside where a specially made gel is inserted to keep our fans running smoothly and quietly to give you the award-winning silent conditions during idle and gaming modes you have seen and/or heard about. MSI has since reduced this to 2mm. This doesn't sound much but has in fact solved one of the issues whereby there was extra space for air to squeeze inside the area alongside the gel to cause tiny air bubbles that (while at 100% fan load for a long period of time) forces the gel to leak out onto the fan shroud and surrounding area.

The final issue that was fixed was simply not to put as much gel inside the fans core. We intentionally put more gel into this area during production to ensure your cards would continue to run smoothly and that durability would never decrease. Sadly our good intentions came back to hurt us since many customers are using R9 Graphics Cards (and R7) to mine for coins jumping quickly onto the Cryptocurrency bandwagon. Our cards we're not designed for this. Under normal gaming conditions this would not happen (rare cases it may). MSI HQ wanted (yet again) to improve our award-winning Twin Frozr coolers further by solving any and all reliability questions of the running of our fans... hence more gel.

Unlike our competitors, our bearing is made from a special ring made from a mixture of pressed cooper shavings and oil – This unique design avoids the need of ball bearings so the fan can run quieter.

Those customers with Graphics Cards pre-January that are worrying about oil leaking in the future causing harm to the fans.. don't worry. The oil leaking is from the fans hub and not from the bearing, thus will not impact the lifetime running of the fans.

Is it safe?
Yes. The gel which has since turned into an oil like substance during high heat conditions will not harm you, nor your surrounding components in your PC. This gel is harmless, it is non-conductive and will not harm components on the motherboard – The gel is designed to work up to 140C so it will not burn out.

What do I do now?
As mentioned, HQ knows about the problems you have been experiencing and recommends you RMA your Graphics Card to our RMA centre for a replacement card with the new fixes.

Can you not just send some replacement fans or coolers?
No. While there are 0 issues with the PCB's, we cannot send you replacement fans and/or Twin Frozr coolers to do it yourself. One reason is we want to ensure you do not damage the PCB or cooler during installation (and thus voiding your warranty), but another reason is due to how we design the Twin Frozr coolers. You may not know this, but unlike many of our competitors who simply use the same cooler for every batch of cards, we engineer our coolers differently per each graphics card to ensure each cooler we place onto each GPU can handle the thermals produced from that very GPU since every GPU is different (silicone lottery).

We are very sorry if you have been affected by this issue. We hold our hands up, however we did have good intentions. Please RMA the Graphics Card back to us for a swift replacement."